Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2014, 08:02   #706
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

A Stylish Maruti Sedan Spotted in the Capital - says the ad!

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-maruticiazsedanindia_625x300_51408990166.jpg

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/exclusive-...capital-653737
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 09:51   #707
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Attachment 1278632

Weird advertisement, but I like what i see in that pic, although somewhere in the front - there is a slight resemblance to the facelifted SX4 thanks to that chrome grill!
Old 26th August 2014, 10:24   #708
BHPian

Isn't it weird that most 'scoop' pics of Ciaz just has side and rear profile pictures. There are barely any showing the face as clearly. Well, I guess it's a matter of time anyway. Can't remain hidden forever
Old 26th August 2014, 10:55   #709
Senior - BHPian

Its looking quite a mature looking car from this latest picture. I liked what MIL is giving us. Looking little like SX4 but better than it for sure. It has neutral stance which will not offend many. This color also looking fabulous to me.
Old 26th August 2014, 12:01   #710
Senior - BHPian

In the absence of a powerful engine to match its competitors, only option Maruti is left with it to play the price tag card. Also, it better have good handling , good road manners, better than its competition.

To put a different perspective here, I shall anyday prefer a slightly slower car with great handling than a boat like car wih stoner of an engine. Don't know how many will agree.
Old 26th August 2014, 12:16   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I heard from a little birdie that the Ciaz will NOT come with a 1.6L diesel initially (but the SX4 Cross will, with the 1.6MJD). Was not told if there are plans to release a 1.6L diesel Ciaz later or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
It is now confirmed that 1.6 diesel is not coming. So let's put all the birdies to rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
With this one factor alone- it's dropped from an exciting package to an 'also ran' IMO. The possibility of a powerful, spacious and good looking sedan from Maruti was real exciting, but frankly- I'm not excited anymore about a sedan that carries the same engine as my Punto.
I kind of, agree with the above.

If what is being gathered, told about the 1.6 Diesel not making it, is what it is going to be... then I think Maruti Suzuki isn't geared up right to face the competition as one should!!!
  • Maruti Suzuki didn't get it right when they had the 1.3 MJD in SX4, and now a replacement in Ciaz which looks good to join the competition, can't go the distance without a distinguishing diesel.

• A few of them might, but the numbers will not ring the registers if you have the same diesel housed in all the cars from your hatch to your compact sedan to your C Segment sedan.

• When they didn't have a bigger diesel for the Ertiga, quite a few people I spoke to raised the question, but then yes - Ertiga was based on a compact platform and placed into a special entry level segment. Point taken. But what logic should apply here for the Ciaz?

• If Maruti Suzuki is targetting at numbers above 3K (after the initial euphoria) then, I doubt if this is going to work. Tuning the same engine (with due respect to the national MJD) is not going to create any polar vortex!
While I have been a long time admirer of Maruti Suzuki's strategies, their tactical approaches and their think tank with the Indian economy and conditions in mind, ones like these don't help me at all in adding to that admiration. There might be possibilities that they might be facing issues in sourcing the 1.6 Diesel, or licensing issues or whatever, and are keen to jump on the bandwagon asap, but the fact remains - "stiffer the competition, the better should be the preparation!"

Thanks,
C_
Old 26th August 2014, 12:46   #712
Senior - BHPian

I really do not feel that a 1.6 or a 1.3 will really make such an impact to the buyer mind frame.

Does a lay man in India really care for a 1.6 or a 1.3?
Do they even care?

We as part of a T-bhp are a bunch of enthusiasts and torque, engine displacement and drive ability count as top pointers.

What would the percentage of informed auto enthusiasts be.
1% or maybe even lesser!!

What about the lay man? He has the cash and he knows a few basic points about maintenance, probably needs a car from point A to B commute and wants a good dependable brand.

Maruti is able to satisfy that need.
You have the brand and reliability associated- Maruti Suzuki

What can CIAZ Offer:
  • You have a sedan with a supposedly decent mileage
  • You have a big spacious C segment steed with reasonable maintenance cost
  • You have a car that has all modern facilities
  • And you have a car with maybe not a 1.6 but a fuel efficient 1.3 MJD engine that is tried and tested.
  • You have a car that has a top speed that could match close to the 1.6. It may not be fast but dont see that as a deal breaker for many.
So, fail to understand the fuss. Maruti have a car that addresses all pointers above but albeit with a 1.3 MJD.

Do we as enthusiasts care? Yes.
Does the public care- Who cares as long as all other pointers are satisfied.

If I need to upgrade, would I consider Ciaz in spite of the 1.3 MJD.
Yes, an emphatic and informed yes!!

Last edited by arnabchak : 26th August 2014 at 12:48.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 12:46   #713
Senior - BHPian

So August launch is not happening ? Hardly two days remaining.

Even the pre booking is not open yet . So looks like it will be just before Dasara ?
Old 26th August 2014, 12:55   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
So August launch is not happening ? Hardly two days remaining.

Even the pre booking is not open yet . So looks like it will be just before Dasara ?
Launch was not speculated in August. Pre- bookings still could possibily happen in August.
Old 26th August 2014, 13:15   #715
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post

To put a different perspective here, I shall anyday prefer a slightly slower car with great handling than a boat like car wih stoner of an engine. Don't know how many will agree.
I agree fully with you on the point made on engine versus handling. The boat like handling well never let an owner stone the car so the engine in that car is a mere joke.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 13:23   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Gives an Sx4 kind feeling but I liked the look from this shot. I think Maruti can sell this in good numbers if they price it at least 60-70k below City and Verna.
Surprisingly no interior shots of dash has been leaked yet.
Old 26th August 2014, 13:28   #717

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
I really do not feel that a 1.6 or a 1.3 will really make such an impact to the buyer mind frame.

Do they even care?

We as part of a T-bhp are a bunch of enthusiasts and torque, engine displacement and drive ability count as top pointers.

What about the lay man? He has the cash and he knows a few basic points about maintenance, probably needs a car from point A to B commute and wants a good dependable brand.

What can CIAZ Offer:
  • And you have a car with maybe not a 1.6 but a fuel efficient 1.3 MJD engine that is tried and tested.
  • You have a car that has a top speed that could match close to the 1.6. It may not be fast but dont see that as a deal breaker for many.
So, fail to understand the fuss. Maruti have a car that addresses all pointers above but albeit with a 1.3 MJD.

+1 to this.
You have nailed it. No matter how much we debate about 1.3 ltr or a 1.6 ltr engine etc etc, avg Indian car buyer is blisfully unaware of this. How many buyers would even bother about the fact that maruti has plonked a 1.3 mjd in ciaz, despite there being available an option of 1.6mjd which maruti could have sourced from Fiat for the Ciaz they're considering to buy.
So long it ticks most of the points mentioned by you, for an avg. buyer it's a good buy.
Sameer_Gupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 13:39   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post

Do they even care?

What can CIAZ Offer:

Agreed that Team BHP members might be more informed, but its wrong to assume that lay-people are somehow stupid or incapable of making rational comparisons.

Yes, the people who go to the showroom already decided that they want to buy only a Maruti will probably follow the logic that you said.

However, most buyers who are open to other brands will also visit other showrooms and test drive other cars, and will have the message that the competing Maruti car has an underwhelming engine clearly drummed into them by the salesmen.

And most people who have upwards of 10L disposable income to spend on a sedan are likely to be capable of doing basic research into the specs and read reviews prior to buying. Somewhat different from the M800/Alto customer whose first priority would be cost/resale/service along the lines of what you mentioned.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 14:02   #719
Senior - BHPian

Lot of people talking about engine is small for the car. If overall car is good, it will get lot of customers. Example: Duster has 1.5 Liter engine which is small compared to the car of its caliber, still its successful. Similarly, Ciaz can also get success for sure. SX4 diesel didn't do that well because they were too late for it. That time SX4 was already old in the market & people had lot of options available. Don't forget, in initial 2-3 years SX4 did extremely well. And mind one thing, people just love DDiS from Maruti, with car like CIaz it is a right combination.
Old 26th August 2014, 14:06   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Agreed that Team BHP members might be more informed, but its wrong to assume that lay-people are somehow stupid or incapable of making rational comparisons.

Yes, the people who go to the showroom already decided that they want to buy only a Maruti will probably follow the logic that you said.
@Chncar

I have no where mentioned that a lay man is stupid.
What I clearly mentioned in my post is that a lay man will not/do not know the intricacies of a car in detail.

They are swayed by the brand name and some basic benefits.
Agreed that an individual with a capacity of spending over 10 lacs on a sedan will take a rational and comparative decision.

Yet, a lot of decisions sway as per previous experiences.
Take my example.

I have always been a MSIL averse person. I owned a Fiat and a Ford and vouched by their safety, driver oriented steering etc.

Circumstances and I have a Wagon R.
I am more than satisfied as a owner.

It has served be exceptionally well in my thin moments be it in frugality, FE, ease of maintenance or cost of ownership.

ASC has been hassle free, economical and pleasant till date.
My WR is 2 years and 60,200 kms young now.

My perspective from a averse has changed to a pro MSIL.

Now, I support the company and its products.
A change in the paradigm!!

Next car. Definitely another MSIL. That's how a brand is created.
Do i need to consult my wife for my next buy?

No. She is an even stauncher support for MSIL.

I am a lay man-Yes.
But I am informed.

I read and know about auto mobiles.

I know people across senior levels in all major auto companies.
At the time of upgrading, I will research.

Yet, in all probabilities, the car company is already selected. Its just the model and the variant!!
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks