Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2014, 13:33   #511
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

Maruti needs to plonk in a 1.5/ 1.6MJD, at least 105 BHP and offer it with an AMT. This car will fly off the shelves, with one landing into my home!! :-).
Old 10th August 2014, 13:36   #512
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
According to him both engines feel a lot different than their previous iterations i.e the 1.4 petrol used in Ertiga and 1.3 DDiS in swift.
Are you sure on the highlighted part?

If it true then the Ciaz would get a 75 PS engine? If they are using the Petrol engine from the Ertiga why not use the diesel heart from Ertiga and re-tune as they like.

Anurag.
Old 10th August 2014, 13:38   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If it true then the Ciaz would get a 75 PS engine.

Isnt it obviously known that this isnt close to being true? By swift he means same engine but different turbo and thats where the difference comes from.
Old 10th August 2014, 13:44   #514
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
By swift he means same engine but different turbo and thats where the difference comes from.
Oh if that is what he meant then fine.

I was confused seeing the 'Ertiga=Petrol' and 'Swift=Diesel', hence the post.

Anurag.
Old 10th August 2014, 14:43   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Are you sure on the highlighted part?

If it true then the Ciaz would get a 75 PS engine? If they are using the Petrol engine from the Ertiga why not use the diesel heart from Ertiga and re-tune as they like.

Anurag.
I think what the SA meant when we brought in the Swift was the performance offered and the FTD factor.
I think he wanted to highlight the better tuning on the CIAZ MJD.
adneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 15:25   #516
Senior - BHPian

That's bad news again! MSIL can squeeze every last ounce of power left in the 1.3 DDiS but it's like flogging a dead horse. There's only so much an engine this size can do unless of course MSIL are re-writing the rules of engineering. There are just 2 options to make this engine a tad bit driveable: meddle with the ratios and re-map the ECU. Sadly though, both these options don't make much of a difference. I'm talking about this engine in the 90 PS guise, mind you. I don't think they can make the gear ratios any more shorter than they've made on the Ertiga. Any shorter, the 1st gear will turn out to be like the crawler gear in heavy Scania trailers!

Very disappointed with MSIL's persuasiveness in milking this engine, given the day and age where 1.5 diesels are becoming the norm. When I sold my Ertiga, I had no regrets because that was the last car I would ever have with that engine. I will be forced to go to a different manufacturer just for the engine because I love everything else about what MSIL did with the Ertiga. I hate to say this but Ciaz is a wasted effort if it came plonked with this engine in any flavour (75,90,110 PS). A well engineered and designed car, this Ciaz is going no where with the 1.3 MJD. End of story.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 18:09   #517
Senior - BHPian

Interesting - Altis sells very well with a punier engine. Maybe maruti understands the customer needs better than us enthusiasts? (which are a bit of a minority at the end of the day)
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 18:23   #518
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Interesting - Altis sells very well with a punier engine. Maybe maruti understands the customer needs better than us enthusiasts? (which are a bit of a minority at the end of the day)
But that is for the fleet or chauffeur driver options. For personally driven cars, Altis is also criticised the same way. And hence many dont prefer going that path in spite of the T-brand value.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 18:44   #519
Senior - BHPian

Do we have a confirmed launch date?
I am eagerly awaiting it to compare with City.
Old 10th August 2014, 19:01   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Basically Maruti Suzuki have no other option at the time being They have to put in the 1.3L since thats the only diesel engine at hand.

And in this thread, let us not bring in the topic of the 1.6L option. Its nowhere in the scene as of now. Will it come in the future? Doubtful in the Ciaz since it will jack up prices to a point where people will start bashing the car for the price. Moreover, in this market, entry price is very very crucial for winning the hearts of many. We have seen examples of well equipped cars with great potential bombing due to a high price tag. Here, the Ciaz will gather customers if it is priced below the Verna, City etc which I am sure of. Only a small fraction of people really see what is under the hood. And no doubt maruti knows this well. Thats why they have been able to use the same engine everywhere, and still sell a good number of cars.

Give a good FE number, MS badge, and this time good equipment and build quality too. Thats the formula this time. The last time they concentrated on giving good performance in the SX4, it was termed as a fuel guzzler. Guess they know priorities now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But that is for the fleet or chauffeur driver options. For personally driven cars, Altis is also criticised the same way. And hence many dont prefer going that path in spite of the T-brand value.
The Ciaz isnt an enthusiasts car going by its diesel engine. However, I guess the car's dynamics will be sorted better compared to the Verna or the City. At least one can be able to make use of whatever power is available here.

I hope to see a TD car arriving at dealerships in two weeks. Then we can have a better and clear idea.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 19:51   #521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Ciaz isnt an enthusiasts car going by its diesel engine. However, I guess the car's dynamics will be sorted better compared to the Verna or the City. At least one can be able to make use of whatever power is available here.
I totally understand that aspect. And also I am NOT writing it off. I like the fact that they have done their homework. (At least thats what I feel when I read about it). My only point was to what Phamilyman mentioned about Altis sales. Surely if the interiors can compete with the others, and they get their dynamics right, it would sell. Just think of a Linea like sedan in the Maruti stable. It would surely sell with the kind of service network they have.

And as you said, I think they are majorly limited by the engine capacity. And if they have to import 1.6MJD without manufacturing it in India, that would increase the price. So they have no choice but to stick to the 1.3 option. Now that you mention, and now that I think, in fact that may the other reason, why they may have chosen to place the SX4 S-Cross in the premium territory and readying the product in that segment. (I am not complaining either! I would love to see a premium compact X-over too!)

Last edited by ampere : 10th August 2014 at 19:55.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 19:52   #522

This news item from Cartrade.com cites sources saying that Ciaz will come with a 1.6 liter diesel engine, probably supplied by Fiat. It also says an AMT variant might also be introduced. Through I am not sure how reliable this is, AMT sounds interesting. Link: http://www.cartrade.com/car-bike-new...ct-124803.html
Old 10th August 2014, 21:57   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, look what I found on Zauba:

Two Ciaz exported to USA, MT and AT. Not sure why it went there.

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-c1.jpg

These two sent to Japan.
Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-c2.jpg

Check the difference between the cost during Prototyping(2013) to mass production(2014)

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-c3.jpg

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-c4.jpg

Also, the reported value looks similar to an Ertiga from which we can safely infer that the pricing will be similar to the current SX4. Hence, ex showroom, the top end diesel must cost at the most 10L or so.

Last edited by audioholic : 10th August 2014 at 22:01.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 23:18   #524
Team-BHP Support

Wow... Those price figures seem too good to be true. Adding taxes and all, it should still sound VFM compared to the City.

I hope the build quality will be better than the current gen City. Interiors are spacious as seen in spy pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 11th August 2014, 02:26   #525
Senior - BHPian

My guess is that two went to the US for testing, probably part of a program to launch it there against the likes of Nissan Versa (Sunny here) and the other two were sent to Japan for production quality appraisals.

Quote:
Guys, look what I found on Zauba:

Two Ciaz exported to USA, MT and AT. Not sure why it went there.

These two sent to Japan.

Last edited by khoj : 11th August 2014 at 02:50.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed