Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:56   #226
Team-BHP Support

re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

YL1 is not supposed to a replacement for Dzire. I thought its the premium C segment sedan category.
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:15   #227
BHPian

I don't think it's the same Swift that we have here in India

AFAIK, the Swift sold earlier in China was the Esteem in India
Also, it looks smaller than the speculated YL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
This seems to be the YL1. The length is long for it to be a Dzire.

But why a Swift Sedan?

Can't they have a new start altogether?!
I know manufacturing cost etc but how can they juice that poor Swift and that platform!

Anurag.
As mentioned in the details of the YL1 by .anshuman it is based on the Ertiga platform which is an elongated Swift platform. So Maruti will continue to "juice" the Swift platform.
Old 4th December 2013, 11:49   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki plan low cost B-segment sedan that price below YL1 code name - China bound , but could be launched in India in 2014.
(related to post 225)
The car may have length shorter to YL1 at around 100 mm or even similar and it should sit only in the same platform and it may be have same wheelbase or slightly shorter.
The car will get the interior that not as much as hi quality as the YL1.The interior is similar to the current generation Swift and others new Suzuki car. The console paint in two tone color with black and beige.The front exterior look similar to the front of new A-segment hatchback “Alto YL7″

The indian specification should be price around 5.5-8.5 L compare to YL1 that start at 7 L but the engine may use 1.4 liter (same with YL1 engine)

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-suzukibsegmentsedanbelowyl1interior1.jpg

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-suzukibsegmentsedanbelowyl1interior2.jpg

http://suzukifan.com/

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th December 2013 at 11:50.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 15:51   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Suzuki plan low cost B-segment sedan that price below YL1 code name - China bound , but could be launched in India in 2014.
It was reported earlier that Maruti Suzuki is developing a sedan below DZire on the A-Star platform. This one seems the one mentioned!
Old 4th December 2013, 16:34   #230
BHPian

Quote:
But why a Swift Sedan?
Can't they have a new start altogether?!
I know manufacturing cost etc but how can they juice that poor Swift and that platform!
I think it makes sense to have an over 4m sedan based on the Swift platform since it is a proven platform. The main challenge new DZire faced was the odd looks due to the 4m limitation on length. SX4 has not been a success due to its poor platform. If Maruti could design a good proportionate sedan on the Swift platform, it would be an instant success. I am not sure such a car would be a replacement for the SX4 which competes with the City, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
AFAIK, the Swift sold earlier in China was the Esteem in India
Esteem was also sold as the Swift in the US/Canada. The trend in US/Canada is to keep the same name for a car and keep on upgrading it after a few years without retaining the old car. In India, we have seen new launches with new names while the old cars are retained as well.

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th December 2013 at 17:03. Reason: Back to back posts. Please refrain. Next time infraction
Old 4th December 2013, 16:40   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
I am not sure such a car would be a replacement for the SX4 which competes with the City, etc.

SX4 replacement is speculated to be the YL1.

Cheers!
Old 4th December 2013, 18:05   #232
BANNED

Quote:
I am not sure such a car would be a replacement for the SX4 which competes with the City, etc.
Have you read the title of this thread?

"Team-BHP SCOOP- Maruti YL1, Vento sized SX4 replacement details leaked"

So the code named YL1 will be the replacement for the ageing dull SX4. This indeed is a C-segment car that will be pitched against the City & Verna.

Quote:
In India, we have seen new launches with new names while the old cars are retained as well.
Cashing money when the sun shines. Why leave the old car when it still has prospective buyers?!

Anurag.
Old 4th December 2013, 18:56   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Have you read the title of this thread?
Yes, I did read the title of the thread but it is all speculation until we have the final details. I feel YL1, if based on Swift platform, would compete more with Etios/Sunny rather than with City/Verna.
Old 4th December 2013, 19:04   #234
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, I did read the title of the thread but it is all speculation until we have the final details. I feel YL1, if based on Swift platform, would compete more with Etios/Sunny rather than with City/Verna.
I know it is still a speculation but our friendly Moderator (.anshuman) did mention it is a competition to the Verna and Vento so it being a small 4m sedan is ruled out. It should be a proper sedan that looks good and looks like a sedan!

Just quoting the details that the little birdie dropped the news for this car with .ansuman.

Quote:
Little Birdie dropped some details about the Maruti Suzuki Project YL1, a Vento sized sedan which might replace the ageing SX4 sedan.

Details-
  1. Will have 1.3 DDIS 90hp Diesel and 1.4 K series Petrol motors from Ertiga.
  2. Seems to be based on the same platform as Ertiga.
  3. Design theme same as Authentics concept showcased earlier but detailing is different and simpler.
  4. Lots of space for the rear seat, possibly best in class.
  5. The car is as high as the Vento and about the same size.
  6. Rear seat gets 2 A/C vents in rear.
  7. The rear windshield looked similar to Superb.
  8. Front grille is exactly same as new facelifted SX4.
Anurag.
Old 4th December 2013, 19:56   #235
BHPian

Quote:
it being a small 4m sedan is ruled out
To clarify, I never said it would be a sub-4 mt sedan. Also, what I meant to say originally was that there is a good opportunity to introduce a sedan which is over 4 mt and based on the Swift platform but priced only slightly higher than DZire. I never said that YL1 is this sedan. Probably some mis-communication somewhere.
Old 4th December 2013, 21:45   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, what I meant to say originally was that there is a good opportunity to introduce a sedan which is over 4 mt and based on the Swift platform but priced only slightly higher than DZire. I never said that YL1 is this sedan.
This thread is basically on the YL1, the replacement to the SX4 and will compete with the City/Verna/vento, etc.

Now this thread also has another sedan > 4m which is being spotted in China and most probably would be launched in India too ( see post 225).
The platform could be on the Swift but as of now it is not very clear and will be priced below Dzire.

Cheers!
Old 4th December 2013, 23:02   #237
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
(related to post 225)
The car may have length shorter to YL1 at around 100 mm or even similar and it should sit only in the same platform and it may be have same wheelbase or slightly shorter.
The car will get the interior that not as much as hi quality as the YL1.The interior is similar to the current generation Swift and others new Suzuki car. The console paint in two tone color with black and beige.The front exterior look similar to the front of new A-segment hatchback “Alto YL7″

The indian specification should be price around 5.5-8.5 L compare to YL1 that start at 7 L but the engine may use 1.4 liter (same with YL1 engine)

Attachment 1174358

Attachment 1174359

http://suzukifan.com/
If they merely manage to make it look proportionate, won't this seriously cannibalize the sales of the DZire?

Quote:
The YL1, while based on the Ertiga which is an extended Swift platfrom is certainly a worthy competitor to the new City. The Swift and the Dzire or the Etios liva and the Etios are different to the Polo and Vento or Punto and Linea. While all of them are based on hatchbacks, the Vento and the Linea are still C segment class vehicles. The YL1, most certainly will be too.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th December 2013 at 23:04.
Old 4th December 2013, 23:08   #238
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If they merely manage to make it look proportionate, won't this seriously cannibalize the sales of the DZire?
Does Maruti care about it?

At the end of the day they still are getting the money into their bank accounts. Right?!

Anurag.
Old 4th December 2013, 23:37   #239
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Does Maruti care about it?

At the end of the day they still are getting the money into their bank accounts. Right?!

Anurag.
Why bother having a manufacturing leg for a car that wont sell (if and when this other car gets launched in India) ? Wasting money and production capacity for other models; thus also straying away from getting more money into their bank accounts (or even keeping money from unnecessarily leaving their bank accounts).
Just like the mistake they made with keeping the Estilo on sale even when the WagonR was given multiple updates.

If they are feeling this rich and generous, they ought to be donating or something instead

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th December 2013 at 23:38.
Old 4th December 2013, 23:50   #240
Senior - BHPian

With news about the Swift updated with more features and with all chances that Dzire also will get them, Maruti is clearly pushing Swift brand to more premium segment. Then there is enough gap for a sedan below Dzire with a starting price of 4.5L. If Maruti stops the L variants of Dzire, this gap will be even wider. So the scenario would be:
New sub-4m sedan starting at 4.5L
Dzire starting at 5.5L
YL1 starting at 6.5L
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks