Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2013, 10:38   #1
BHPian

HM discontinues Cedia & Outlander

Hi Folks,

HM has discontinued Cedia from its lineup. Mitsubishi lost the Indian car market by partnering with HM . They should have come out of the HM stable long ago and started on their own like FIAT. I love Mitsubishi Lancer and Cedia for their sheer driveability. I wonder how Mitsubishi can ignore a market like ours .

http://mitsubishi-motors.co.in/cedia-evo.php

Regards,
Prakash.
prakasse is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 10:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: HM discontinues Cedia & Outlander

Sad indeed. Watch out for resale values dropping drastically. They are on the lower side anyway.

Besides: Doesn't Off the road mean driving off-road? Or have you read somewhere that is is being discontinued?

Last edited by hrman : 26th June 2013 at 10:51.
Old 26th June 2013, 11:22   #3
BHPian

Hmm first they dropped EVO and now Lancer/Cedia. It is either Mitsubishi is totally out or they are planning to come in with a bang. Either way the next step will be something to really look forward to...
Old 26th June 2013, 11:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

What a waste!
Lancer when it came out had great many fans, in spite of being under powered (compared to City). Slowly Mitsubishi lost the plot.

I wouldn't blame HM as much, since not much is expected from them. But Mitsubishi? A Jap company being so nonchalant ... its a crime!
Old 26th June 2013, 13:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What a waste!
Lancer when it came out had great many fans, in spite of being under powered (compared to City). Slowly Mitsubishi lost the plot.

I wouldn't blame HM as much, since not much is expected from them. But Mitsubishi? A Jap company being so nonchalant ... its a crime!
I am a big a fan of the Lancer SFXi. I would have bought one even if it did not have an engine! This is just horrific! Please please please get the Lancer back, put in the 2.0 Cedia Engine in it and give it some decent after sales support and see the car flying off the shelves! And you might as well get rid of the Petrol Outlander and bring back the Pajero SFX. It will definitely sell more than the Outlander!
Old 26th June 2013, 13:51   #6
BHPian

The Mitsubishi Lancer was THE car to have in the mid-late 90s. They could have capitalized on that brand recall but bungled it up big time. Now that Mitsubishi (without HM) is managing sales and marketing, hopefully they will be able to scandinavian-flick themselves back onto the road!

The Lancer is dead! Long live the Lancer.

I wanna see this one in Indian showrooms
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/lancer/
Old 26th June 2013, 13:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post

Besides: Doesn't Off the road mean driving off-road? Or have you read somewhere that is is being discontinued?
I think off the road means End of Life.

Thanks,
Prakash.
Old 26th June 2013, 14:23   #8
BHPian

The webpage is some half hearted job. The top part thanks Cedias patrons. The lower part still lists the features.

Anyway, the production has been stopped. I got confirmation from SVR motors. I'm told it will be replaced by a new sedan soon. But with Mitsubishi, I'll believe it only when it actually gets launched.

Last edited by CBlazer : 26th June 2013 at 14:32. Reason: Comments related to the Cedia webpage.
CBlazer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 14:33   #9
BHPian

Few questions continue to baffle me:

1. Mitsubishi didn't capitalize on the fact that only they would've been a competitor to Honda City in C+ segment. They had the Cedia for a long time, and could've replaced it with the new generation Lancer much before the launch of Vento, Verna or Rapid. I never understood why they didn't.

2. It was still not too late. They could've done this even after the launch of the above mentioned cars. India has not seen the C+ segment choices so good until recently. But even now they chose not to do anything. They could've at least taken a leaf from Fiat's book, and re-done their marketing and sales by moving away from HM. They still didn't do it. What kind of a deal do they have with HM that they cannot break away?

3. India seems to be their SUV territory. Even then, I do not see too many of Pajeros on the road. Are they doing enough to sell SUVs either?

4. Lancer EVO X - a launch which was never going to be a success because of the high prices. What on earth were they thinking when they launched that?

5. When all companies are making merry in the hatchback segment, Mitsubishi could've made an entry with the new Mirage introduced in 2012. I'm sure, it would've been a wonderful fun to drive hatchback given Mitsubishi's reputation. Why didn't they even make an effort?

I would still hope that they re-doing their board work for India, and would soon make a come back. And as mentioned by CBlazer, it would be a new sedan.

New Lancer, anyone?!

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/...ew-lancer.html

Last edited by Tats07 : 26th June 2013 at 14:38.
Tats07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 19:17   #10
BHPian

I don't understand why we should give so much importance to a brand which doesn't care our market. If mitsubishi was serious, they would have been here long back with greater commitment.
Since they aren't bothered, why should we be heart broken and praying for their entry.
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 19:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Both Cedia and Outlander have been discontinued. It was on their facebook page, they only have the Pajero Sport for sale. I am keen to know, if they plan to get something new soon. I am sure there will be a new model soon, may be the lancer, may the new outlander or the mirage or the outlander sport? Its looks more like the new outlander diesel to me. what say?

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 26th June 2013 at 19:53.
Old 26th June 2013, 23:06   #12
BHPian

The Cedia, and Outlander too ? I loved the old Lancer ( 1998-2002 ) , the Cedia not as much, and the Outlander was outstanding (from the styling / stand out perspective. Had I got the money, I'd have loved to own an Outlander.

I concur with the others - partnering with HM and seemingly leaving the management in HM hands did not work out. Brilliant cars, long standing credentials from the rally experience , and yet suffering such a debacle in terms of sales and brand perception.
Old 26th June 2013, 23:32   #13
BANNED

Yup, not only Cedia, but the Outlander too has been axed.

Clearly, these weren't doing much in terms of sales, but I guess this move will further kill the already low resale values and A.S.S. experience.
Old 26th June 2013, 23:33   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Such excellent packages, sadly going off the line. Hurts to see the way they were marketed and sold. And for HM, I would rather like them to shut shop and go home. Not sure what the head honchos are thinking at. Mitsu and HM - No comparison. Just hope Mitsu goes the Fiat way and sets out towards an independent journey. I would love to buy one of their cars.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:53   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I am sure there will be a new model soon, may be the lancer, may the new outlander or the mirage or the outlander sport? Its looks more like the new outlander diesel to me. what say?
I heard about the Outlander diesel too. They seem to be quite comfortable selling SUVs. Not surprising since HM's strategy seemed to be low volume, high margins (they had a very high percentage of imported parts even on the Cedia). I actually did see quite a few Pajero Sports on the road yesterday. Nowhere near the TFort numbers though.

My heart hopes they get the new Lancer in, but my brain says they'll focus on SUVs going forward.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks