Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 13:29   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Honda launched the all new Jazz in Malaysia today where it will be available in 3 variants as follows:
S - INR 13.71 lacs (on road price)
E - INR 15.04 lacs (on road price)
V - INR 16.54 lacs (on road price)
:
Any idea of the price of a similar specced Honda city there. That might give us an indication of what might be it's price wrt city in india. The prices in india will have to be at least 5 lakhs cheaper then the ones quoted to be competent.
Old 16th July 2014, 15:28   #392
BHPian

re: The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Any idea of the price of a similar specced Honda city there. That might give us an indication of what might be it's price wrt city in india. The prices in india will have to be at least 5 lakhs cheaper then the ones quoted to be competent.
In Malaysia, Honda City is available in following 4 variants:
S : 14.29 lac (on road price)
S+ : 14.86 lacs (on road price)
E : 15.8 lacs (on road price)
V : 17.12 lacs (on road price)

The only difference between S and S+ variant is that S comes with Single DIN audio while S+ comes with Standard audio which is also available in E while V variant gets a 7" display audio
Old 16th July 2014, 15:49   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
In Malaysia, Honda City is available in following 4 variants:
S : 14.29 lac (on road price)
S+ : 14.86 lacs (on road price)
E : 15.8 lacs (on road price)
V : 17.12 lacs (on road price)

The only difference between S and S+ variant is that S comes with Single DIN audio while S+ comes with Standard audio which is also available in E while V variant gets a 7" display audio
Thanks for that. With that in mind I think the jazz base model should cost somewhere around 7 lakh OTR which is good pricing if with 1.5 L engine but should be around 6L if with 1.2 (excise benefits and smaller engine) if a jazz with airbag and abs can be had for this price I believe premium hatchbacks (polo and i20) better be ready for some sleepless nights ahead.
Old 23rd July 2014, 22:39   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Malaysia have released an all-new TVC of the 2014 Honda Jazz, highlighting all the features offered in the car.

RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 01:55   #395
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 12th August 2014 at 12:49.
dozer is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th July 2014, 01:59   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
I personally believe that a well-designed hatchback's boot space is adequate for a sizable number of people (young, urban, nuclear families) most of the time. 60:40 fold-able seats are the icing on the cake. Parking spaces coming at a premium may also lead to this shift in mindset.

Most of all, I feel like a giant consumer gulping down an over-sized Big Mac all by myself, when I drive alone in a big sedan. I don't believe in keeping a hatch for the city and a sedan for the highways, as this is again a waste of space, time (maintenance) and money. I am also finding it harder day by day to drive my bike on our roads, given the utter disregard for human life and "rules". And, please don't get me started on public transport. So, *that is the essence of why I want a proper hatchback and why I am willing to pay a premium for it*.
I agree with most of your points.

Give me well built interiors, a 1.5 engine and price it at/below City level, and you have a sale Honda. And, now that you are listening , please get rid of that button-less touchscreen entertainment system and put-in something that is actually usable.
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 11:06   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Thanks for that. With that in mind I think the jazz base model should cost somewhere around 7 lakh OTR which is good pricing if with 1.5 L engine but should be around 6L if with 1.2 (excise benefits and smaller engine) if a jazz with airbag and abs can be had for this price I believe premium hatchbacks (polo and i20) better be ready for some sleepless nights ahead.
I don't think the basis of you calculation is correct and the excise duty benefit won't amount to 1 Lakh..at max it can amount to 30-40K nothing more.

Now, if you are expecting a base variant with ABS and airbags, that's not gonna happen. Honda has understood the customer mindset of Indians and they are not gonna do that. We value creature confort more than safety like a good touchscreen audio system or bluetooth telephony etc more than ABS or airbags (Hyundai plays this really well)
Apart from the very high pricing of Jazz last time, another 'mistake' they made was to launch the car with no base variant as such. The so called base variant came with most features - remote locking, audio system, steering controls, ABS, airbags etc etc. and that made the car look even more pricey.

This time they will launch the base variant without any safety features at all and price it low (something like a 4.99 to 5.29) with higher variants going up to 6.49 (for petrol). The diesel would be a lakh costlier.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 12:26   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I don't think the basis of you calculation is correct and the excise duty benefit won't amount to 1 Lakh..at max it can amount to 30-40K nothing more.

Now, if you are expecting a base variant with ABS and airbags, that's not gonna happen. Honda has understood the customer mindset of Indians and they are not gonna do that. We value creature confort more than safety like a good touchscreen audio system or bluetooth telephony etc more than ABS or airbags (Hyundai plays this really well)
Apart from the very high pricing of Jazz last time, another 'mistake' they made was to launch the car with no base variant as such. The so called base variant came with most features - remote locking, audio system, steering controls, ABS, airbags etc etc. and that made the car look even more pricey.
I know the excise benefits will be only be 40-50k but the 1.2 litre engine might be cheaper to produce (just my opinion) hence I thought the 1L gap. In Honda city they have a base variant but it does have safety features. Brio, Amaza, Mobilo I know skimp on them but I hope jazz follows the city in that respect. 6L on road means car should be just above 5 lakh for the base variant.

Base variants might make people flock to the dealership but majority sales these days are of mid and top variant. People don't want to get after market power windows and stuff and compromise only on HU, alloys and other luxury features. If they market jazz as a niche product and a classy product it is they should not skimp on these safety features. A sub 5 L price will give them volumes that even Amaze and city have not been able to provide not sure they can produce that many cars.

I feel 5.49 L ex showroom petrol 1.2 (decent spec with ABS)

6.49 L for the same spec diesel will be the price. Just my guess. Feel free to counter.
Old 24th July 2014, 12:49   #399
BHPian

If VW can price the new polo at 4.99, I think honda can also bring in the base variant of jazz at around 5-5.1 lakhs. What say?
Old 24th July 2014, 15:52   #400
BHPian

Any update about probable launch date of new Jazz? I am eagerly waiting for new Jazz with automatic transmission.
Old 24th July 2014, 21:35   #401
BHPian

Given that City already has a waiting period of 6 months and Mobilio is just launched, we can safely expect Honda to launch Jazz by mid of March 2015. Next 7 months will be sufficient time for Honda to better manage the demand for both City & Mobilio as well as work towards localizing Jazz to keep it cost competitive.

Moreover, March will be a good time as Honda will not have to revise its price on account of any upward or downward tax announcement in the union budget which would be on 28th Feb / 1st Mar.

Looking at the base price of Mobilio which is 6.49 lac and that of Amaze which is 4.99 lacs, I expect Honda to launch Jazz at 5.49 lac with 1.2L engine. If they were to launch Jazz with 1.5L engine then the base price could be 6.09 lac.

The good news is that Jazz will be manufactured at Honda's Rajasthan plant where Amaze is also produced. At current rate, there is a demand for 7000 Amaze per month leaving 3000 units of underutilized inventory. So to clock these numbers, Honda may price Jazz a bit more aggressive than 5.5 lacs.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-img_jazz1.jpg  

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-img_jazz2.jpg  

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-img_jazz3.jpg  

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-img_jazz4.jpg  

damager21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 23:31   #402
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The Malaysian Jazz has an overall length of 3955mm and a GC of 135mm. Honda is sure to increase the GC for India, which is a must to traverse the sorry surfaces that pass off as roads in this country.

I hope they also increase the length, by providing the solid rear bumper of the North American Fit. They have an additional 45mm extra, to stay within the 4m mark.

The North American Fit measures 160" in length, which equates to 4064mm, as this car has stronger, more protruding bumpers at both the front and rear to meet the stringent, legally mandated crash norms of the USA.

Honda India would do well by providing the longer rear bumper of the North American model, and still keep the car within the 4m mark. Honda (and all other manufacturers, too) must realise that a bumper is not just a showpiece add-on, and that its most important function is to act as, well, a bumper and a rear bumper must offer some degree of protection to the tail-lamps and hatch/boot-lid/tail gate of vehicles. A scratched/scuffed/dented composite bumper is far easier to repair or live with, while a damaged metal portion or broken tail lamp costs a tidy sum of money to repair/repaint or replace.

As opposed to the almost non-existent rear bumper of the Jazz/Fit for the rest of the world, here is the one found on the North American Fit:

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-image.jpg

Edit: Honda India would also be advised to offer 6 airbags and those simple, yet elegant LED DRLs, at least as optional features. The premium hatchback segment is the most fiercely contested one in the Indian market, and features like these remain crucial differentiators that make one's offering more premium in this segment.

Last edited by RSR : 25th July 2014 at 23:44.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 02:16   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post

Honda India would do well by providing the longer rear bumper of the North American model, and still keep the car within the 4m mark. Honda (and all other manufacturers, too) must realise that a bumper is not just a showpiece add-on, and that its most important function is to act as, well, a bumper and a rear bumper must offer some degree of protection to the tail-lamps and hatch/boot-lid/tail gate of vehicles. A scratched/scuffed/dented composite bumper is far easier to repair or live with, while a damaged metal portion or broken tail lamp costs a tidy sum of money to repair/repaint or replace.

As opposed to the almost non-existent rear bumper of the Jazz/Fit for the rest of the world, here is the one found on the North American Fit:
That would be a hopeless dream. The US had some rules regarding thicker and stronger bumpers to be build, and that continues to the present.
But whereas we would be following the international norm in addition to removal of stuff like dogbars and other protections.

Our traffic is most likely to award a fender bender and bumpers like the one in the U.S would be perfect for us here. Alas looking at cars like the City, Innova, Swift which have practically no bumper in the sense that the bumper sits almost flush with the bodywork.
Just look at the number of Innovas with dented dicky

So, Honda will be selling the Jazz with the flush fitting bumper sold everywhere else.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 07:20   #404
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I assume India will be getting the design for Asia and Europe. But irrespective of that, if Honda is willing to provide the same safety specs (as Malaysia) for the Indian Jazz, it will be the safest car in its class - with 6 airbags, ESP (VSA) etc. Quite unlikely to happen though!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 08:09   #405
BHPian

Really loved the Malaysia Honda Jazz TVC. I sincerely hope Honda folks bring the vehicle as an exact replica ( including the 1.5L engine) to India. Honda has got the models for masses in Brio, Amaza and now the Mobilio. They have to realise that the Indian consumer has matured and now have more refined choices then the last time Honda tried to bring in the Jazz. Reading thru ownership threads, wish list posts on this thread and overall, not even one user (current or prospective) has faulted the wonderful Jazz package. Therefore Honda has to lend an ear to these wishes. And frankly it is not that the consumer is asking Honda to build a spaceship. We are all asking Honda to acknowledge the revised expectation expressed by the uses and launch a model from their global portfolio that meets the ask.

I remember reading in the Mobilio thread that before the launch Honda had called up some prospective buyers to check on what do they expect in the Mobilio. I really hope some one from Honda is reading this thread and my request to them is to do a detailed market study and check how many consumers will be willing to pay for a fully loaded Jazz (I would even throw in the option on extended bumper model as available on American Jazz), I am quite certain that the results will be a pleasant revelation to Honda and a welcome confirmation of the maturity of Indian buyer.

Mods - maybe it is wishful thinking, maybe it is not permissible under the rules of the forum but is it possible for BHP to offer car manufacturers to run these surveys on our forum. This is by far the most evolved user group in the country and if we can act as a channel to help manufacturers conduct such studies without any bias to any manufacturer/model, it may work towards offering a real insight into consumer tastes and preferences.
Car_fanatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks