Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2015, 23:23   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is Audi readying a cut-price Q3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
God damn it!! What is it with these rich people and their inability to use their left legs!! With the discontinuation of the q3 s, I think nobody in that segment will come forward to offer a stick. So there goes my dream of owning a stripped out petrol a3/a class/1 series with a stick. You just can't seem to have involvement with cars these days. It's all about electronic this and automatic that.
The Q3S was seriously under equipped for its segment. At close to 30L OTR, it didn't have ACC, auto folding mirrors, rear arm rest and many such glaring omissions that even 5L Rs hatches have these days. IMHO all it did was dilute the brand and surely generate some extra footfalls in Audi showrooms due to the advertised price tag.
Old 11th January 2015, 23:39   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is Audi readying a cut-price Q3?

Quote:
God damn it!! What is it with these rich people and their inability to use their left legs!! With the discontinuation of the q3 s, I think nobody in that segment will come forward to offer a stick. So there goes my dream of owning a stripped out petrol a3/a class/1 series with a stick. You just can't seem to have involvement with cars these days. It's all about electronic this and automatic that.
Gone are the days when automatics were slower and much more expensive than manual versions. Today the cost difference is approx a lakh and DSG box as you get in the regular Q3 shift gears quicker than one can in a manual box. Moreover stripped down versions of luxury badges have never worked. Right from the slew of corporate editions that the 3 series and A4 were offered few years back. A luxury car buyers looks out for a decent loading levels. The Q3 S was a way too basic for someone buying an Audi.
Luxury car makers should learn their lesson and offer decent loading a at an entry level price rather than strip the car to loading levels less than a Hyundai.
Old 11th January 2015, 23:53   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The Q3S was seriously under equipped for its segment. At close to 30L OTR, it didn't have ACC, auto folding mirrors, rear arm rest and many such glaring omissions that even 5L Rs hatches have these days. IMHO all it did was dilute the brand and surely generate some extra footfalls in Audi showrooms due to the advertised price tag.
Guess they tried to milk too much out of the q3 s. You are right, they should at least have specced it to the level of a top end Verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Gone are the days when automatics were slower and much more expensive than manual versions. Today the cost difference is approx a lakh and DSG box as you get in the regular Q3 shift gears quicker than one can in a manual box. Moreover stripped down versions of luxury badges have never worked. Right from the slew of corporate editions that the 3 series and A4 were offered few years back. A luxury car buyers looks out for a decent loading levels. The Q3 S was a way too basic for someone buying an Audi.
Luxury car makers should learn their lesson and offer decent loading a at an entry level price rather than strip the car to loading levels less than a Hyundai.
I don't mind being slower, just want a stick and three pedals. Slower it maybe, but it should be more fun. Definitely remember a magazine praising it to be a hoot to drive because of the sweet shifting manual even though it's got a detuned engine.
Btw isn't the 1 lakh diff between manual and dsg applicable only applicable to the d segment? I mean anything with an Audi badge will be priced significantly more. So logically the gap between manual and dsg should be greater in an Audi than in a VW, right ??
Old 12th January 2015, 00:42   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I don't mind being slower, just want a stick and three pedals. Slower it maybe, but it should be more fun.
Almost all automatic boxes provide you the option to shift to manual mode which is equally fun. Moreover I guess most buyers in that segment want AT and hence the companies don't bother to add another variant which would probably be difficult to move off from the shelf.
Old 12th January 2015, 07:11   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Almost all automatic boxes provide you the option to shift to manual mode which is equally fun. Moreover I guess most buyers in that segment want AT and hence the companies don't bother to add another variant which would probably be difficult to move off from the shelf.

While tiptronic transmissions are kinda fun, nothing beats a pure manual gear shift. It could be slower than a computer controlled shifting mechanism and maybe even more cumbersome in cases where the ergonomics are not proper, but from an enthusiast perspective, a manual is just more involving.

As for the Q3S, I am glad it's gone as it was the red headed stepchild in the showroom. Everyone was curious about the car but no one cared to buy it.
Old 12th January 2015, 13:02   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
While tiptronic transmissions are kinda fun, nothing beats a pure manual gear shift. It could be slower than a computer controlled shifting mechanism and maybe even more cumbersome in cases where the ergonomics are not proper, but from an enthusiast perspective, a manual is just more involving.

As for the Q3S, I am glad it's gone as it was the red headed stepchild in the showroom. Everyone was curious about the car but no one cared to buy it.

I have a contrarian view to this - whenever I asked the Audi guys for Q3S, they said it has a waiting period of 6 months and we are not taking bookings. Subsequently they were pushing the higher priced models. Apart from dealer apathy, the other reason why the Q3S did not move is the lack of discounts, you could easily get a premium version Q3 for close to the same price as the Q3S

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks