Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 09:31   #16
CPJ
BHPian

re: Skoda India to discontinue Fabia

Although the Fabia has some drawbacks in terms of engines, higher maintenance costs coupled with poor sales and service experience from Skoda but it is still a very capable product IMO. The build quality and the interiors are among the best in the segment.
I do feel its a bad decision to discontinue the Fabia, all it really needs are capable Engine options.
Old 17th May 2013, 09:53   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Whatever happened to the Fabia TSi - the same engine that the Polo now gets? The Fabia RS was also something that would have done wonders if launched in India at the right prices.
AFAIK one can have a Fabia RS on special order. My friend told me this a while ago. His father runs a few dealerships in Andhra, ofcourse I will have to ask him to get more details I myself am skeptical
Funnily enough he even said that one can still buy an Octavia Combi :P

Last edited by IshaanIan : 17th May 2013 at 09:56.
Old 17th May 2013, 10:07   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
AFAIK one can have a Fabia RS on special order. My friend told me this a while ago. His father runs a few dealerships in Andhra, ofcourse I will have to ask him to get more details I myself am skeptical
Funnily enough he even said that one can still buy an Octavia Combi :P
Of course one can! But that plan doesn't involve Skoda India at all, you import the car directly from a RHD country like UK..... after paying over 100% duty.

As far as your friend's info. goes, I'd advise you take it with a pinch of salt
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 10:29   #19
BHPian

Skoda to pull the plug on poor selling Fabia hatch

Skoda will withdraw its slow selling Fabia hatchback from the market, reports autocarindia.com. The Fabia will remain in the market till the existing stock is sold out. The end of the Fabia will mean that Skoda will not have an offering in the hatchback segment. Its India plans for the next generation Fabia (codenamed SK 260) are unclear as of now.

Reasons for withdrawing the Fabia from the market, as mentioned in the report:
  • Skoda has incurred huge losses on the Fabia (losing up to Rs 1.5 Lakh per car)
  • Repeated price cuts and discounts have failed to generate any increase in sales.
  • Margins reduced as a result of 40 % reduction in its price compared to 2008 launch.
  • High level of foreign content in the Fabia makes it expensive to produce.
Skoda India to discontinue Fabia-_dsc0487.jpg

In the 6 month period from November last year to April of this year, Skoda could move only a meager 1038 units of the Fabia. In comparison, Volkswagen sold 19193 units of the Polo in the same time period. Skoda slashed prices of the Fabia in October 2010, which helped sales average around 1100 units a month for a while. Skoda also committed a pricing blunder by launching the overpriced Fabia Scout variant in April 2012. By March 2012, sales had slumped to 770 units for the Fabia.

The withdrawal of the Fabia could also pose problems for a Skoda dealer in Gujarat who had offered customers who purchased a Skoda Rapid, a Fabia free of cost, 5 years down the line. Click here to read more about that.

Current Prices for Fabia.

Skoda India to discontinue Fabia-fabia-price.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th May 2013 at 11:43.
Redline6800 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 11:01   #20
BANNED

Finally !!! It was expected for last 1 year i guess. The sale was going south only. Products like Jazz & Fabia died due to their price, Bad Marketing, A.S.S. issues in case of Fabia. Both were good, spacious, powerful, attractive cars but couldnt do well in the market. Same i guess we can say for Fiat Palio. It was also a very good car but couldnt success in the market. I still feel that if Palio with 90 BHP MJD is available, i can buy one. But sadly i cant :(
Old 17th May 2013, 11:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Sad news. The Fabia was the first major European influence in the hatchback business.(Well, there was Fiat, but people hardly noticed). It started the trend for premium hatchbacks in the country and is a worthy contributor to the coming of age of the Indian auto industry.
Old 17th May 2013, 14:08   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda India to discontinue Fabia

Me thinks Honda (Jazz) and Skoda (Fabia) should go take some lessons from the Hyundai book of marketing. Both of these aspiring premium brands failed to sell a premium hatchback...something that "economical" Hyundai managed just as well. I know people who've paid 9 lakhs for an i20 and are proud of their decision.

The Fabia's entry-level motors were plain lousy. Skoda's dealer attitude didn't help either. But what really sealed the deal was its absurd pricing. Few cars recover from the "over-priced" image. Just ask the new Ford Fiesta.

Skoda's market-share is at an all-time low. And I don't see the company doing much to recover. It's as if they are sleeping through this tough phase.

Last edited by GTO : 17th May 2013 at 14:09.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 14:23   #23
BHPian

This news will definitely not bode well with many of our fellow Indians who had an inkling towards the lovely little hatch. Incompetence and non-customer orientation and obviously, high charges on spares are factors on what could have sealed the fabia. Lovely car, if it had a 4 pot diesel, people would definitely taken to it. Would it be optimistic to hope for the new fabia coming few years down the line?
Old 17th May 2013, 21:42   #24
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2013 at 13:54.
IshaanIan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th May 2013, 21:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Me thinks Honda (Jazz) and Skoda (Fabia) should go take some lessons from the Hyundai book of marketing. Both of these aspiring premium brands failed to sell a premium hatchback...something that "economical" Hyundai managed just as well. I know people who've paid 9 lakhs for an i20 and are proud of their decision.

The Fabia's entry-level motors were plain lousy. Skoda's dealer attitude didn't help either. But what really sealed the deal was its absurd pricing. Few cars recover from the "over-priced" image. Just ask the new Ford Fiesta.

Skoda's market-share is at an all-time low. And I don't see the company doing much to recover. It's as if they are sleeping through this tough phase.
Hmmm...
So you feel that low powered engines i.e. poor drive experience coupled with bad after sales is why Fabia failed. Food for thought.
I always felt It was simply high price of parts/not readily available parts is what scared away people from the fabia rather than unimpressive engine. As with Hyundai there was a sense of security with future services. Is the Indian car buyer really influenced to that length by the power of the engine?
Old 17th May 2013, 22:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Me thinks Honda (Jazz) and Skoda (Fabia) should go take some lessons from the Hyundai book of marketing......... I know people who've paid 9 lakhs for an i20 and are proud of their decision.

The Fabia's entry-level motors were plain lousy.
With all due respect sir, because you are too senior to me in experience and in age too, I have noticed you being very unhappy with the 1.2 litre motors that the Fabia and the Polo come with, though I have never driven the 1.2 petrol, I do own a 1.2 litre TDI Polo, and as my experience has been, the engine is good enough for the city and for most Indian highways, yes it does get out of breath on the E-way but I don't find the TDI lousy.

In the city and on the a regular highway I have been able to keep up with almost any other hatch.

I agree about the i20, I happen to own a petrol i20 too, and I would say that as a product the i20 is no where near the Polo or the Fabia, but as a package it is better for the regular buyer. And as someone pointed out, the Fabia is what started the premium hatchback segment, and it was built better than most cars when it was launched.

and Sir in case you didn't notice my email, I desperately wanted '599GTO' instead of '599gto'.

Last edited by 599gto : 17th May 2013 at 22:28.
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 23:04   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
With all due respect sir, because you are too senior to me in experience and in age too, I have noticed you being very unhappy with the 1.2 litre motors that the Fabia and the Polo come with, though I have never driven the 1.2 petrol, I do own a 1.2 litre TDI Polo, and as my experience has been, the engine is good enough for the city and for most Indian highways, yes it does get out of breath on the E-way but I don't find the TDI lousy.

In the city and on the a regular highway I have been able to keep up with almost any other hatch.
The car is a good product; nice chassis, solid build, amazing highway stability BUT one has to admit, the engine is simply sad. Sure, when you own the car you tend to be able to drive it and have it perform decently. I myself "keep up" with everything in the city and on the highway in my 2004 WagonR :P Spend a day running all the different diesel hatches out there and then drive the polo once again and you will feel it lacking.
So yeah perhaps in this day and age no engine can really be "lousy" but when they don't perform like their competition does, that's the term we generally fall back on.
Old 18th May 2013, 01:01   #28
BHPian

Isn't the Rapid based on the Fabia? Are they discontinuing the Rapid too?

I guess most manufacturers are handing over the crown of the premium hatch to the troika or Swift, i20 and Polo and licking their wounds. Honda pulled Jazz out but their Brio is doing reasonably well. Perhaps Skoda discontinued the Fabia to pave way for the Citigo?

Also - weren't the Fabias manufactured at the same assembly line as the Polo? They pretty much look the same from the inside. And the Polo is only 10% more than the Fabia? So is the Polo too losing over 1.3 lakhs per car?
Old 18th May 2013, 08:16   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Perhaps worth considering buying a well kept used Fabia then. The Re sale value now will be quite wallet friendly.
Will keep my 5 years 1.4 TDI for longer as a antique piece
Either way the old 1.4 PD engines are no longer manufactured and spares take time to come, but these old generations engines are better than the current 1.2 Crdi.

In small cities Skoda dealers are only selling Rapids and no other cars like Yeti,Fabia & Laura are kept on Display.
Old 18th May 2013, 08:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Attachment 1084427
The Autocar India Editor Hormazd Sorabjee reports that Skoda plans to discontinue the Fabia shortly. It is going to stop the production soon and the stocks are expected to run out by the end of this year or early next year.
It appears our little discussion here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post3119575
a few days ago turned out to be more prophetic than expected.
Possibly we may expect Fabia III launch sometime next year?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks