Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2013, 16:51   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

Engines do suffer in terms of power output when running CNG as fuel. Hence, its not a de-tuned engine. Just the power drop due to the use of cheaper fuel.
I understand this fully but Maruti is claiming a mileage of 22.8 on the ertiga cng. Makes you wonder if they have de-tuned the engine to target the "super cheap"
Old 21st June 2013, 11:37   #32
BHPian

Re: Maruti launches CNG Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by theincredible1 View Post
Some pics about how Maruti has successfully done a great job with CNG again.
Hey theincredible1, that was a great scoop! Wonder where you got all the Pictures from? Not sure if anyone else on the net has them on presently!

Kudos!
Old 21st June 2013, 18:28   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by parassoni View Post

Hey theincredible1, that was a great scoop! Wonder where you got all the Pictures from? Not sure if anyone else on the net has them on presently!

Kudos!
Thank you Paras. I was searching to buy the right car for myself since last October. It was going to be a replacement for a 2004 corolla and thats something too hard to replace.

When I stumbled upon the Ertiga (something which I would have never considered ever) I was amazed and impressed a lot. And the way I researched, the calls I made and the people I met, was borderline obsession
Old 23rd June 2013, 12:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hello Folks,

The Ertiga CNG microsite is up & running ---->
http://marutibrands.cloudapp.net/mar...ErtigaCNG.html
http://marutibrands.cloudapp.net/Mar...cationCng.aspx

As our friend, theincredible1 has already mentioned, it is the same engine, but on the CNG mode the ECU detunes it for a lower power output & torque:

Maximum power (PS@rpm) Petrol(95@6000),CNG(82@6000)
Maximum torque (Nm@rpm) Petrol(130@4000),CNG(110@4000)
Fuel tank capacity (L) 45(Petrol) 60(CNG)

The Gross Vehicle Weight has increased from 1760 to 1820 kg (60 kg addition due to the CNG tank)
Most importantly the seating capacity remains 7 Wonderful job Maruti

An extract from the Specifications page:

ERITGA GREEN CNG KIT VS. RETRO FITTED KITS
More secure and reliable

Ertiga CNG is designed to meet all safety standards and regulations to assure customer safety. Dedicated ECU system for CNG has been designed and tuned for better performance, which is not the case in retro fitment Body designed to take the extra load of CNG system and to ensure safe layout. Microswitch is provided in CNG receptacle cap, which prevents starting of the vehicle when CNG refilling is being done by cutting off fuel supply. All CNG system related harnesses are integrated with main IP harness which ensures safety against fire. Loose wires in case of retro-fitment are prone to short circuit. High pressure CNG pipes and joints are made of stainless steel whereas conventional retro fitted kits use carbon steel pipes. Stainless steel pipes and joints provide additional safety against vibration, corrosion and leakage. Fire extinguisher provided with all CNG vehicles for safety

Environment Friendly
Ertiga Green complies with BS-IV norms and OBD 2 norms ELV compliant in-line with Maruti Suzuki policy

SALIENT FEATURES
CNG is directly injected into different ports of engine near to combustion chamber resulting in homogenous combustion. The quantity and quality of CNG injected into the engine and the change over from petrol to CNG is controlled intelligently. The system enhances the vehicle’s performance by providing improved power and acceleration with respect to conventional gas-air mixture system. Special elements have been used for high pressure pipes, joints, engine valves and valve seats, which ensure safety, better performance and engine durability.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 23rd June 2013 at 12:33.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 18:56   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hello Folks,

The Ertiga CNG microsite is up & running ---->
http://marutibrands.cloudapp.net/mar...ErtigaCNG.html
http://marutibrands.cloudapp.net/Mar...cationCng.aspx

As our friend, theincredible1 has already mentioned, it is the same engine, but on the CNG mode the ECU detunes it for a lower power output & torque:

Maximum power (PS@rpm) Petrol(95@6000),CNG(82@6000)
Maximum torque (Nm@rpm) Petrol(130@4000),CNG(110@4000)
Fuel tank capacity (L) 45(Petrol) 60(CNG)

The Gross Vehicle Weight has increased from 1760 to 1820 kg (60 kg addition due to the CNG tank)
I believe a 60 litres CNG cylinder, good for 12 kgs gas under optimum conditions & 9 kgs generally, is not good for this car... just acceptable for private buyers, who have smaller distances to cover, but, it is till good part from the company, which is leading the green brigade in India.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 20:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I believe a 60 litres CNG cylinder, good for 12 kgs gas under optimum conditions & 9 kgs generally, is not good for this car... just acceptable for private buyers, who have smaller distances to cover, but, it is till good part from the company, which is leading the green brigade in India.
9-10 kg of gas would give a range of 200 +/-10 kms, which is very low. People who have very low daily running won't mind it. For a person like me who does 64kms each day, this would be a bit troublesome as my weekly running easily exceeds 350+ kms & I will have to get the CNG tankfull at least twice every week if I want to keep running on the greener fuel. Before going for the green Ertiga I will first have to hunt for a CNG pump near my house, wherein I would not have to wait too long in the queue.

I would have loved the Zxi variant to come in CNG avatar, as I would not have to compromise on safety (hope MSIL is listening). Till then no other car comes closer to the Ertiga which fits my requirements so very well.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 13:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:

I would have loved the Zxi variant to come in CNG avatar, as I would not have to compromise on safety (hope MSIL is listening). Till then no other car comes closer to the Ertiga which fits my requirements so very well.
True, I think MSIL should Come out with Option packs like the Hyundais & Renaults of the world, if MSIL has to move off the great VFM, lil low on safety badging!!!

Quote:
I believe a 60 litres CNG cylinder, good for 12 kgs gas under optimum conditions & 9 kgs generally, is not good for this car... just acceptable for private buyers, who have smaller distances to cover
I too would've liked a better Green Fuel Range-Makes it that much more attractive to Own!! But if you look at the Combined range its a whopping ~850-900 odd kms! Making it probably a car of choice for Ladakh like expeditions!

45 LTRS of petrol @ ~14 = 630 kms + ~220 kms ( CNG) !!

Quote:
Hello Folks,

ERITGA GREEN CNG KIT VS. RETRO FITTED KITS
More secure and reliable

engine durability.
AutoIndian, I thought of just you when I read that 7 seat arrangement is intact! Also, Absolutely agree that Co-fitted kits beat After market, retro fitted ones hands down on Safety, Reliability , performance and carry an additional advantage of Warranties! Also, I have stumbled upon a great site to upgrade to OEM HU/ICE kits for VDi/VXi owners. So that part can be upgraded! Its actually the OEM system that comes in the Indonesian Ertiga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theincredible1 View Post
Thank you Paras. I was searching to buy the right car for myself since last October. It was going to be a replacement for a 2004 corolla and thats something too hard to replace.

When I stumbled upon the Ertiga (something which I would have never considered ever) I was amazed and impressed a lot. And the way I researched, the calls I made and the people I met, was borderline obsession
Fantastic & Diligent Work indeed! Hope you find the ideal candidate in the Ertiga (As I have). For me its a No-Nonsense Family Car that Never says "NO"

Cheers All!
Paras

Last edited by parassoni : 25th June 2013 at 14:11.
parassoni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 16:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too would've liked a better Green Fuel Range-Makes it that much more attractive to Own!! But if you look at the Combined range its a whopping ~850-900 odd kms! Making it probably a car of choice for Ladakh like expeditions!

45 LTRS of petrol @ ~14 = 630 kms + ~220 kms ( CNG) !!

Cheers All!
Paras
Hi Paras

Thank you for your post, but, my next question in this case would be the total cost cost involved in covering ~900 kms on a Green (CNG) Ertiga.
Rs.3015 (45 Liters Petrol X Rs. 67) + Rs.400 (10 kgs CNG X Rs.40) = Rs.3415

Compared to this, the Diesel Ertiga will cover 900+ kms in well under Rs.2,400, I would say, you can have 1 time light meal for the 7 people in the car or pay all highway tolls for the differential amount.

Do you still think Ertiga Green makes sense on the highway?
Old 25th June 2013, 18:14   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Paras

Thank you for your post, but, my next question in this case would be the total cost cost involved in covering ~900 kms on a Green (CNG) Ertiga.

Compared to this, the Diesel Ertiga will cover 900+ kms in well under Rs.2,400, I would say, you can have 1 time light meal for the 7 people in the car or pay all highway tolls for the differential amount.

Do you still think Ertiga Green makes sense on the highway?
I was taking strictly of Range "in distance terms"! Its tough to beat a diesel in Economics! Thats Why i bought one! But the CNg is still a better bet than Plain Petrol(which was my point)

Admittedly, I have a bias for add-ons that come for a nominal cost(45-50k in this case)

Meals or tolls can also be earned thru conservative/smart driving techniques, But The Moot point is agreed on, A higher Capacity tank was desirable!
parassoni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 09:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Compared to this, the Diesel Ertiga will cover 900+ kms in well under Rs.2,400,Do you still think Ertiga Green makes sense on the highway?
Quote:
I was taking strictly of Range "in distance terms"! Its tough to beat a diesel in Economics! Thats Why i bought one! But the CNg is still a better bet than Plain Petrol(which was my point)
to both of your thoughts Cardeep & Parassoni. If one is looking at a car for purely highway/outstation driving, then he should go for the diesel blindfolded (not withstanding the fat premium he has to pay upfront for the diesel). In this case not only the running economics come into picture, but the fact that CNG may not be that readily available outside city limits could be a major constraint.

However if a majority of the use is going to be inside city & once in a while you are going to hit the highway, then the CNG makes more sense (no doubt you have to take the pains of multiple refills (3:1 or could be even 4:1) compared to a diesel. My daily office commute is 64 kms (to & fro). My average monthly running comes in the range of 1.5K to 1.7K kms. I do highway trips 2-3 times in a year. (Lets say around 2K kms outstation run on petrol purely & 18K kms in city purely on CNG).

In the above scenario the running expenses for a CNG & Diesel option would be as follows:

CNG: (Assumptions: Mileage ---> CNG = 22km/kg, Petrol = 16kmpl, Price ---> CNG = Rs 40/kg, Petrol = Rs 67/lit)

18,000 / 22 = 818 kg of CNG
818 X 40 = Rs 32,727

2000 / 16 = 125 litres of petrol
125 X 67 = Rs 8,375

Total ---> Rs 32,727 + Rs 8,375 = Rs 41,102

Diesel: (Assumptions: Mileage ---> = 20kmpl, Price Rs 53/lit)

20,000 / 20 = 1000 litres of diesel
1000 X 53 = Rs 53,000

Though the above calculations are for academic purpose, the point I wanted to put forward was, even if you do the city runs on CNG & the highway runs purely on petrol & if your highway to city driving ratio is closer to the above listed scenario of 9:1, then the CNG/petrol combo is still cheaper than diesel option, the low upfront cost is an added advantage & top it all you are being environment friendly

Any thoughts/suggestions, counterpoints are most welcome
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 09:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

I have not seen a single Ertiga CNG in Ahmedabad. But that could very well be because of the gas prices here. Anyone want to take a guess how much we pay for CNG in Ahmedabad?

I filled up my Santro's CNG tank yesterday, so I know the exact price.

65.80/kg!! The highest price for CNG in all of India!
9thsphinx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 11:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
to both of your thoughts Cardeep & Parassoni. If one is looking at a car for purely highway/outstation driving, then he should go for the diesel blindfolded (not withstanding the fat premium he has to pay upfront for the diesel).
Any thoughts/suggestions, counterpoints are most welcome
There is a way out... you can have multiple cylinders installed in your vehicle (say MPV, etc.). There are quite a few Eecos running in Delhi & NCR, which have legally set up 2 cylinder set-up. Generally, these are 5 seater vehicles & the CNG cylinder capacity is 70 liters each (good for 14X2 = 28 kgs, under optimum conditions & around 22-24 kgs CNG is you refuel in morning or lat night). This gives the car a capacity to travel ~600 kms on highway. The driver usually refuel at the border & by the time they are are back either there is some CNG left to be consumed or they have travelled minimal distance on petrol. BTW CNG penetration in few satellite towns is picking up.

In my case, whenever I have to travel to my relatives, majority staying till Chandigarh, out of the 500+ kms I travel, CNG is emptied around 350 kms, rest (under) 200 kms are covered on Petrol. IMO it is still cheaper spending for a new diesel car (intial & running cost both considered separately), especially when the 10 years old car is doing wonderfully well.

As far as I know, there are CNG stations in Sonepat & Agra. There is one in Ambala as well, but not sure about the location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
I have not seen a single Ertiga CNG in Ahmedabad. But that could very well be because of the gas prices here. Anyone want to take a guess how much we pay for CNG in Ahmedabad?

I filled up my Santro's CNG tank yesterday, so I know the exact price.

65.80/kg!! The highest price for CNG in all of India!
At Rs.68.50 CNG is a pricey as petrol in NCR... however, if you have to run the car in town/ city, CNG still scores over Diesel, barring the wait at the CNG station.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 26th June 2013 at 11:35.
Old 26th June 2013, 11:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx;3160103[B
65.80/kg!! [/b]The highest price for CNG in all of India!
Quote:
At Rs.68.50 CNG is a pricey as petrol in NCR... however, if you have to run the car in town/ city, CNG still scores over Diesel, barring the wait at the CNG station.
This is quite weird. The CNG prices in Pune are Rs 43.5/kg. In Mumbai it would be even cheaper. Why such a big skew?

http://www.mypetrolprice.com/7/CNG-p...3&LocationId=7
Old 26th June 2013, 11:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is quite weird. The CNG prices in Pune are Rs 43.5/kg. In Mumbai it would be even cheaper. Why such a big skew?

I was referring to CNG prices in Gujarat as @9thsphinx has quoted. In Delhi CNG costs Rs.39.90 per kg at IGL CNG stations. Adani stations (in Faridabad/ Gurgaon) sell CNG cheaper as compared to IGL. But, in Noida CNG is over Rs.40, due to which, I have never cared to refuel CNG in Noida.
Old 26th June 2013, 11:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It's double the rate of Mumbai. I have put up a different post which explains the situation [here]

Let's leave this thread for the Ertiga CNG.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 26th June 2013 at 12:10.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks