Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2014, 04:14   #316

re: Honda Mobilio (Brio-based MPV) coming soon? EDIT: pre-launch ad on p29

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Knowing Honda, I guess your keeping a lot of high hopes on the Mobilio. Please don't.

Expecting a 6-speed gearbox is near to bleak. Ertiga and Innova being 5-speed, I don't think Honda would go out of the way and provide us with a 6-speed one. May be it'll be available in the international variant.

Anurag.
The mobilio like any other MPV is mainly targeted at people who often take to the highway or atleast make those occasional outstation trips, considering this, it will be a real shame if Honda limit the gearbox to just 5 gears. The sixth gear ought to be there, shouldn't it?

I really cant understand why some manufacturers dont feel the need to change the front end of the cars that share the same platform, from Maruti(Swift-Dzire) to Volkswagen (Polo-Vento) they follow the same thing, although Volkswagen's ideas are understandable since most of it's cars have a similar front end and one could overlook it leaving it down to brand recognition but i really cannot see why the Xcent should look like the grand i10 and why the mobilio's front end should look like the Brio, it just pulls the MPV down and dents it's character. A simple re-design of the headlights would have given it a lot more character. I understand that the design of the bonnet and fenders would also need some tweaking but considering that this is a crucial segment, Honda should have done a lot more. The Mobilio could be a winner and it seems every inch like one but there will be more than a few who will walk away.
Shadowbane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 07:14   #317
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post

The sixth gear ought to be there, shouldn't it?

A simple re-design of the headlights would have given it a lot more character.

Honda should have done a lot more. .
The sixth gear ought to be there BUT it is Honda so I doubt they'll get so radical enough and give that 6th gear. No hopes but a faint light somewhere in horizon.

I guess you for Tata Indica and its variants in multiples.

Keeping the front end similar is a bit odd but redesigning it, I feel costs of manufacturing + redesigning moulds + inventory = all pile up which will increase the costs that be difficult to bear in such a economic slowdown. I am thinking a bit practically but not many oppose so the market is giving such similar looking cars.
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 07:14   #318
Team-BHP Support

If Honda decides to play premium and price the Mobilio near the City, I think we can expect the city configurations to roll in. If not, if they chose to be in the Amaze territory, then expect the 5-speed gear box.

My take; they would go with the City alignment to play premium;command margins and hence equip it with a 6-gear system.
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:56   #319
BHPian

Sharing some more information:

LINK
Old 3rd June 2014, 14:43   #320

Quote:
The sixth gear ought to be there BUT it is Honda so I doubt they'll get so radical enough and give that 6th gear. No hopes but a faint light somewhere in horizon.

I guess you for Tata Indica and its variants in multiples.

Keeping the front end similar is a bit odd but redesigning it, I feel costs of manufacturing + redesigning moulds + inventory = all pile up which will increase the costs that be difficult to bear in such a economic slowdown. I am thinking a bit practically but not many oppose so the market is giving such similar looking cars.
Anurag.
Yes, it will increase R&D costs but it should also mean more volumes, unless the car is an absolute dud. Imagine Duster's sales if it looked anything like the Logan. I for one will not be happy buying an MPV that looks inside-out like a car half its size. It's pathetic that it happens without any guilt in our market. Manufacturers should learn from the likes of Renault-Nissan, the cars Micra/Pulse, Sunny/Scala, Duster/Terrano, Logan and the soon to be launched Lodgy, all use Nissan-Renault's B Platform (with tweaks) but each car has its own identity and character. Honda should have gone all out instead of cutting corners. The dash and the headlights desperately need a overhaul.
Old 3rd June 2014, 18:47   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If Honda decides to play premium and price the Mobilio near the City, I think we can expect the city configurations to roll in. If not, if they chose to be in the Amaze territory, then expect the 5-speed gear box. My take; they would go with the City alignment to play premium;command margins and hence equip it with a 6-gear system.
If they offer 6 speed gear, expect pricing to be on par with Innova.

Quote:
Anurag.
Agreed- Honda will give Amaze (not amazing ) looks and 5 speed gear box for sure. they would not offer a six speed for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post
Yes, it will increase R&D costs but it should also mean more volumes, unless the car is an absolute dud. Imagine Duster's sales if it looked anything like the Logan. I for one will not be happy buying an MPV that looks inside-out like a car half its size. It's pathetic that it happens without any guilt in our market. Manufacturers should learn from the likes of Renault-Nissan, the cars Micra/Pulse, Sunny/Scala, Duster/Terrano, Logan and the soon to be launched Lodgy, all use Nissan-Renault's B Platform (with tweaks) but each car has its own identity and character. Honda should have gone all out instead of cutting corners. The dash and the headlights desperately need a overhaul.
IF they do this they cannot milk the customer. If they offer a city ish look or better headlights, they would price it on par or little below Innova. By doing the upmarket thing, they cannot milk indians and make enough profits at the same time

Last edited by scopriobharath : 3rd June 2014 at 18:53.
Old 3rd June 2014, 18:57   #322
BHPian

Whether Honda goes the premium way or the basic way, IMO the Mobilio will not find a lot of private customers. In the Taxi market, Honda should focus on availability of spares in aftermarket. Otherwise it will die a slow death like the Jazz.
Maruti did a clever thing to the Ertiga by redesigning the headlamps to differentiate it from the swift. The 5 lakh rupee brio and the 10 lakh rupee Mobilio sharing the same face may prove fatal for Honda and the product may bomb.
100kmph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 06:58   #323
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
Whether Honda goes the premium way or the basic way, IMO the Mobilio will not find a lot of private customers. In the Taxi market, Honda should focus on availability of spares in aftermarket. Otherwise it will die a slow death like the Jazz.
Honda will keep itself reserve for the taxi segment initially as it will be targeted at the domestic market. After a while even sakes stabilise then they may give the Mobilio for commercial use. But seeing the looks, size - I don't think anyone will pick Mobilio unless it 'really' had the space to beat the Innova. Honda should focus on keeping the after sales service experience and costs at a better range to please the customer and not shoo them away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
The 5 lakh rupee brio and the 10 lakh rupee Mobilio sharing the same face may prove fatal for Honda and the product may bomb.
Did the Dzire price fatal for Maruti?

Did the Terrano prove fatal for Nissan?

Did the Indica Vista/Indigo/Manza prove fatal for Tata?

Anurag.
Old 6th June 2014, 11:35   #324
Senior - BHPian

The review of Mobilio in Autocar India's June-14 edition is still not available online. Does anyone here have a subscription to the magazine (hard or soft copy)?. Would appreciate if you can share the review over here.
Old 6th June 2014, 11:51   #325
BHPian

I saw the review of Mobilio on TV by Autocar in Indonesia. Some points that I could gather.

1) Its got the same petrol of the City and as per the guy driving it, its has average bottom end but it has an awesome top end.
2) Its got the same 1.5L earth dreams that does duty in the city but looks like he did not review the diesel
3) Its car like to drive but has got a bigger turning radius.
4) The petrol screams for a 6th cog but alas, Honda has decided against it
5) NVH not at par with the city. A lot of noise filters into the cabin on higher revs.
6) He did not mention it, but I could clearly see AC vents for the 2nd and 3rd row seats which I hope are not merely blowers.
7) It swallows bumps pretty well. The reviewer even went on to mention that since roads in Indonesia and India are similar, it ought to do well in India as well.
8) The rear (D pillar I presume) has a neat integration with the boot.
9) The front has a different chin (bumper treatment) compared to the brio-amaze which helps in easy differentiation
That was pretty much about it and hope I havent missed out any point, nothing beats the in depth analysis of a Team-BHP official car review.

Last edited by racer_ash : 6th June 2014 at 11:54. Reason: adding additional info
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 18:41   #326
BHPian

I saw the Autocar episode on TV and read the article in the June issue.

A few things to add :
- Third row is not as good as Ertiga's - the seat is practically on the floor and hence, person sits in 'knees up' position
- Needs 6th gear or at least taller gearing because it apparently does 100+ kmph only well over 3000 rpm
- Seats are pretty thin to maximize inner space
- The dashboard in the Indonesian Mobilio that was tested was single tone black and fairly plan - the reviewer speculates it will be dual tone and 'chromed up' for India
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 17:57   #327
Senior - BHPian

Everything in the Autocar Review is mentioned tactically. It is too much tactical, in an attempt to fool people IMO. Statements like "They might redesign the dash" "They might price it around 50K over Ertiga" "It might come with a 6 speed box" etc are all tactical.

Any tom-dick-and-harry can make speculations. I could even say they might launch Odyssey rebadged as a mobilio and take on innova. It is all speculation, and in case they dont, i can always say "might". I expected Autocar to be more professional and specific in divulging details. All grey area discussed in above posts have been touched upon but nothing is made clear. Everything is a typical managerial tactical answer. No harm in being candid that Honda refused to share this information.

- I got a call from some agency (affialited with Honda) and they asked for feedback on the mobilio. I told them about the dash and they seemed to know about it. Probably many have expressed the same concern. I fail to understand this - are they expecting only enthusiasts and tech-savvy people to look at the mobilio? They did not for sure do a road-show (ecosport) and gauge response. Without looking at the product in person, by looking at photos, i am not sure how a company like honda is taking feedback about the product mobilio
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 18:57   #328
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Everything in the Autocar Review is mentioned tactically.
In the what state of condition Autocar is, like cat on the wall. Cannot jump either sides. If they commit by saying some feature and it doesn't turn out in actual then readers will fling chappals (sandals) and if they give no 'review' after a drive and not speculate stuff then no point in printing and no point in creating that hype + sales (magazine copies).

To be frank, I prefer to wait rather than read news articles from outside source and on top believe them. I used to buy OD from Apr, 1999 and used to retain each copy until I joined Team-BHP. All magazines stopped! All in soul, I believe T-BHP and wait for the reports from them.

Quote:
Without looking at the product in person, by looking at photos, i am not sure how a company like honda is taking feedback about the product mobilio
Honda is trying make an image of customer-oriented + focussed. Such calls will make the customer think that 'their views' are respected and heard by Honda as a company. They'll start comparing with other manufacturers, hence criticize.

Honda is just making some futile method to draw attention towards the Mobilio from the Ertiga + Innova + EcoSport prospective customer.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 22:26   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the what state of condition Autocar is, like cat on the wall. Cannot jump either sides. If they commit by saying some feature and it doesn't turn out in actual then readers will fling chappals (sandals) and if they give no 'review' after a drive and not speculate stuff then no point in printing and no point in creating that hype + sales (magazine copies). To be frank, I prefer to wait rather than read news articles from outside source and on top believe them. I used to buy OD from Apr, 1999 and used to retain each copy until I joined Team-BHP. All magazines stopped! All in soul, I believe T-BHP and wait for the reports from them. Honda is trying make an image of customer-oriented + focussed. Such calls will make the customer think that 'their views' are respected and heard by Honda as a company. They'll start comparing with other manufacturers, hence criticize. Honda is just making some futile method to draw attention towards the Mobilio from the Ertiga + Innova + EcoSport prospective customer.
Anurag.
Absolutely, but they could have done what overdrive/ what car and others did. They can candidly write that the model might differ slightly from the indonesian one. they can also say, honda declined to comment on the same. At least, me as an individual was frustrated reading everything and finally seeing a tactical closure (everything including 6th cog, revamped interiors, ICE HU, interior chrome trims etc)

Does the idea of taking feedback really work ? This is like a "reality drama" where audience are asked to Vote, but the next step / sequence is already predetermined. I dont think it works. People will finally weigh the VFM factor of the mobilio with Ertiga. If Hyundai can do a Mobilio with more features, I bet hyundai will pull off another one without these gimmicks?

Thoughts ?
Old 9th June 2014, 22:46   #330
BANNED

Quote:

I dont think it works. People will finally weigh the VFM factor of the mobilio with Ertiga. If Hyundai can do a Mobilio with more features, I bet hyundai will pull off another one without these gimmicks?

Thoughts ?
The idea is not going to have customers dead sure for the Mobilio but what Honda is trying to make is a virtual showroom and indirectly asking customers to search the internet for 'Mobilio' to gather information and initial opinions + getting hold of prospective buyers. People who are buying the Ertiga or Innova will surely wait to see what the Mobilio is and can be a sure shot buyer so it is Honda's gain.

All this is being done in a virtual gamble. To increase this gamble, Autocar is playing a main role by these silly "exclusive drives" by going to other countries. Suspense!

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th June 2014 at 22:48.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks