Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2013, 14:05   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

This is exactly the kind of general statement we ought not to be making, as intelligent people.

Exactly which 'lemons' have these Euro blokes sold here, which they have not already sold and tested successfully in other markets? I own and drive one of these nice expensive high quality, comfy, 20 odd lakh rupee 'lemons' daily and am quite happy with it thank you very much!

By contrast the Euro cars pretty much retain their International specs here too. And their cars, especially the CKD ones, are priced very similarly to their international pricing levels. So one would not really be justified in terming them casually as 'lemons' in a dismissive or pejorative manner!

Hence, lets avoid getting extreme and lets preserve fairness at all times.
OT: Sir,with due respect, all I wanted to say was that 'lemon' for me was a single car and not a model. And the car manufacturers are not ready to accept it.
And I feel that M&M is not desi junk.

Peace. :-)

Last edited by BoneCollector : 21st July 2013 at 14:07.
Old 21st July 2013, 23:05   #92
BHPian

Re: Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted

We have Verito Vibe and Quanto where the new model will be placed? if it were to be less then Quanto , then it will hurt Vibe ?
If the new mini SUV becomes a hit , then Mahindra has to lose Quanto !!!!
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:25   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_CRAZY View Post
We have Verito Vibe and Quanto where the new model will be placed? if it were to be less then Quanto , then it will hurt Vibe ?
Quanto is a half-hearted job! They know that they will have to get rid of that ugly thing which is a hit nowadays, I can;t believe people praising Quanto for its looks!
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:50   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Quanto is a half-hearted job! They know that they will have to get rid of that ugly thing which is a hit nowadays, I can;t believe people praising Quanto for its looks!
Another perspective of the Quanto story. Every company has to satisfy their customers as well as stake holders. Quanto was developed on Xylo platform with minimal cost (compared to a new model development cost). And they are consistently selling 1000 units. I think they are able to generate decent profit from that investment. Looks and styling are relative terms and varies from person to person. No one can ignore the 1.5ltr engine and the utilitarian aspects of the car. Can we think about our fellow BHPians who already own this car while selecting words?
Old 22nd July 2013, 13:24   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They know that they will have to get rid of that ugly thing which is a hit nowadays, I can;t believe people praising Quanto for its looks!
That's strange - why should a company get rid of something that is, in your own words, a 'hit'

The looks apart, I would consider it seriously if they give 4wd option in that
Old 22nd July 2013, 14:09   #96
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
That's strange - why should a company get rid of something that is, in your own words, a 'hit'

The looks apart, I would consider it seriously if they give 4wd option in that
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Another perspective of the Quanto story. Every company has to satisfy their customers as well as stake holders. ..... Can we think about our fellow BHPians who already own this car while selecting words?
Quote:
For me almost all Mahindra vehicles are value for money and it serves its intended purpose at that price point. Even S101 in my opinion is going to be in the same league.

I own a Quanto, I bought it for its utility, I am not a fan of its looks, but love driving it. Why Quanto. I learned driving in a Jeep. My first vehicle was a Gypsy. Then I changed over to a Bolero, 2 Boleros in 10 years, a GLX and SLX. I cant think of driving a car. When my 2nd Bolero was about 5 years old, I started looking for a change and this time one of my top most priority was ABS, easy maintenance, overall length of around 4 mtrs. If Bolero had ABS, I would have gone for a 3rd Bolero, but unfortunately that option was not there, the only alternative was Quanto and I went for it and very much love driving the vehicle on long trips, hilly terrains or in city.
jp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 16:14   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
Ask any aam aadmi, he will say Mahindra= Desi Junk, why don't you buy Duster, EcoSport or Terrano?.
Cheers,

Achyuth
This is news to me.

As a matter of fact, I bought two Boleros since 2002. Apart from a few niggles which cost pea nuts to sort out, the vehicles didnt give me any nasty surprises.

Agreed Duster et all are superior products, with high levels of refinement. But I do not dare take the above mentioned vehicles to the places where I usually take my 'desi junk'. By this I am not talking about off roading. I am just talking about surfaces which we are forced to call roads in our rural areas.

One of my Boleros did a 12 lakh kilometre stint with me - with an engine overhaul at around 9 lakh kilometres. If this is this sort of life a vehicle gives, I prefer desi junk.

Dont get on me about speed, handling, ASS etc. I drive at moderate speeds 80 - 100 kmph - and Bolero handles quite okay, braking quite good. ASS? Why, any neighbourhood mechanic can sort out most of the issues. ( of course, things are changing at Mahindra ).

This is not about eulogizing Bolero, ( I do not even own a Mahindra now) just a glimpse of experience I had with a Mahindra.

Last edited by simplyself : 23rd July 2013 at 16:17.
simplyself is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 16:46   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_CRAZY View Post

Quanto is just a market studying model, M&M wanted to see how India reacts to a Mini SUV from Mahindra. The S101 will be more premium than the Quanto and Mahindra will bring in a new platform based on the S101 platform (code:S102).

Cheers,

Achyuth
Old 23rd July 2013, 16:49   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post

One of my Boleros did a 12 lakh kilometre stint with me - with an engine overhaul at around 9 lakh kilometres.
Wow, you must write the ownership log of this one for the benefit of everyone. How many years for those 12 lakh km?
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 18:01   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
One of my Boleros did a 12 lakh kilometre stint with me - with an engine overhaul at around 9 lakh kilometres. If this is this sort of life a vehicle gives, I prefer desi junk.
12 Lac kms?

We need a ownership report of that one!

Edit: Just noticed I repeated anandpadhye's post!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 23rd July 2013 at 18:09.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 18:06   #101
Senior - BHPian

First Million Mile cruncher I must say on the forum (plz correct me if I am wrong)

Congrats on that one!

I hope I retain a car for atleast 25000 Kms
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:45   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself

12lakh kms in 11yrs?! i.e 300kms/day everyday for 11yrs? And an engine overhaul only after 9lakh kms?
I do think you have read the Odometer wrong or had a typing mistake! 300kms/day at an average driving speed of 40kmph is 7.5hrs of driving daily. Also I seriously doubt the engine could go 9lakh kms without an overhaul.
mohandasnikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 20:15   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Quanto is just a market studying model, M&M wanted to see how India reacts to a Mini SUV from Mahindra. The S101 will be more premium than the Quanto.
Can you disclose the source of this information? Or is it your conclusion?
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 20:48   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quanto is just a market studying model, M&M wanted to see how India reacts to a Mini SUV from Mahindra. The S101 will be more premium than the Quanto and Mahindra will bring in a new platform based on the S101 platform (code:S102).

Cheers,

Achyuth
I don't think so. Discontinuing a successful model has its own drawbacks. Only Toyota has the guts to do that!Mahindra brand itself will take a hit, if owners start complaining about the availability of spares (only for the rear part though). Mahindra spent hardly any money in creating Quanto (100 crores I think), so the returns on each car sold are huge.

By the time S101 comes, I believe the contract Renault for Verito would have expired. Then S101 could replace Logan, in that price range. The two cars may not belong to the same body style, but we do have such model replacement instances outside India (e.g., Caliber replacing Neon in Dodge's lineup).
Old 23rd July 2013, 21:08   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
See the Xylo pickup version? See the height and width?
The tires. Can you please check if they do give away anything? The size/width? I'm nowhere sure, but my eyes are telling my mind that it is a hatch.

Apart, my take on the mini-SUV space is that after the run away success of the Duster, most manufacturers are trying to remodel their existing platform, which seem to me more as a hatch with limited space.

EDIT: On Mahindra being junk. How do one expect anyone to sell 8k 'junk' Boleros per month consistently? And to remain number 3 mostly, much above the manufacturers of Duster, EcoSport or Terrano. We have to remember that the success of the XUV 500 is the one that changed the Indian automotive scene to think more of SUVs recently.

Last edited by thoma : 23rd July 2013 at 21:22.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks