Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2013, 09:54   #91
BHPian

Re: Toyota to launch the Etios and Liva facelift. EDIT : Launched (details on Page 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
..... but when I use the horn with all windows rolled up, it still feels that the horn is blown inside the cabin.
Dear sups, I request you to please visit the toyota dealership and ask for a 3M acoustic horn insulation. They provide an NVH package around the horn pads and also in the engine bay right in front of the instrument panel. The cost as far as i know is around Rs. 2k. Might be worth a try
Carb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 10:07   #92
BHPian

Re: Toyota to launch the Etios and Liva facelift. EDIT : Launched (details on Page 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb View Post
Dear sups, I request you to please visit the toyota dealership and ask for a 3M acoustic horn insulation. They provide an NVH package around the horn pads and also in the engine bay right in front of the instrument panel. The cost as far as i know is around Rs. 2k. Might be worth a try
I informed this to toyota Last friday when I left my vehicle for suspension change. They said that this is how it is in all Liva and they do not have a solution. But, I will still check with them.
Old 13th March 2013, 11:02   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

The Etios is certainly a well engineered car and is undoubtedly the Diesel car with the cheapest maintenance cost by a long margin. Every 10,000 kms, you pay 2,000 to 3,000 and that's it. Compare it with the Maruti and Hyundai and you will understand the difference.

The only car that I felt was better than the Etios ( for me ) in that price range is the Ertiga because it combines utility, practicality with aesthetics. But the high maintenance cost of the Ertiga ( I remember seeing 9,900 bill for 20,000 service of an Ertiga ) combined with the new aesthetically pleasing Etios has again tilted my current favorite vehicle in this price range back to Etios.

I had done an analysis some time back on why the Etios is so cheap to maintain. Here is what I came up with.

Attachment 1061017
just got communication from a friend in Nippon Toyota, Kalamassery that they have replaced a fuel filter for the first time ever on an Etios diesel. odometer of the car reads 1,60,000 kms. compare that with the 20,000 kms replacement interval on other cars ( except the innova which uses the same type of fuel filter as that of the Etios )!
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 01:20   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for those fantastic coverage and videos of the facelifted Etios Vs Old one! The NVH is indeed remarkable. One could tell the difference from the video. I am happy that Toyota has done these improvements, in future, we can expect better interiors even on a built-to-cost car.

The head unit, to me looks like a Pioneer; looking at the remote. That's very similar to the ones you get with a Pioneer head unit. In that case, the music quality also should be great!

Last time I checked the Etios / Liva, the beige failed to impress me. The only beige I liked so far under 10L are the ones from Hyundai. Rest fails to impress me with the quality / texture.
Old 15th March 2013, 09:35   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
!
Last time I checked the Etios / Liva, the beige failed to impress me. The only beige I liked so far under 10L are the ones from Hyundai. Rest fails to impress me with the quality / texture.
The beige provided earlier in Etios was not good. It was just copy paste work. But, in 2013 facelift, it looks nice with the ash brown / wooden combo. And yeah, I liked it better than Hyundai, because the colour used is more subtle and less cartoonish.
Old 15th March 2013, 09:37   #96
BHPian

Amalji, amazing coverage on the refreshed Etios and Liva models. Your pics and video reviews have now prompted me to look these models once I am back in India. I have so long been discouraging potential car buyers to look away from the Etios considering its poor quality and dated looks. But now after the minor upgrades, guess its time to recommend them again. Also, the service costs look very economical and the durability of the parts (fuel filter change @ 1.6L km, wow!!) is fantastic.

Please keep it going. Toyota should be grateful to you for showing them in good light.

Cheers,
Srinath

Last edited by srinath34 : 15th March 2013 at 09:39. Reason: mention about service
Old 15th March 2013, 11:55   #97
BANNED

Quote:
just got communication from a friend in Nippon Toyota, Kalamassery that they have replaced a fuel filter for the first time ever on an Etios diesel. odometer of the car reads 1,60,000 kms. compare that with the 20,000 kms replacement interval on other cars ( except the innova which uses the same type of fuel filter as that of the Etios )!
Fuel filter going for 160,000 kms ???? I don't think its a correct information. It must be 16000 I don't think any fuel filter will go that long. Even Toyota will not recommend to not change it for so long. There must be some confusion here. Please don't post any misleading information here. I guess some Gurus or Moderator should throw some light on this. Is it possible for a fuel filter to give a life of 160,000 kms? Specially in India where getting pure fuel is very difficult? Please confirm.
Old 15th March 2013, 12:10   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Fuel filter going for 160,000 kms ???? I don't think its a correct information. It must be 16000 I don't think any fuel filter will go that long. Even Toyota will not recommend to not change it for so long. There must be some confusion here. Please don't post any misleading information here.
Last week DSK toyota Pune told me that fuel filter replacement for etios/liva diesel is minimum at 80K km. Some etios run much more than 80K km without need to replace the fuel filter. So, all etios may not run upto 160K km without fuel filter change, but 80K is normal. Please be informed before making comments like "misleading".
sups is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 12:19   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fuel filter going for 160,000 kms ???? I don't think its a correct information. It must be 16000 I don't think any fuel filter will go that long. Even Toyota will not recommend to not change it for so long. There must be some confusion here. Please don't post any misleading information here. I guess some Gurus or Moderator should throw some light on this. Is it possible for a fuel filter to give a life of 160,000 kms? Specially in India where getting pure fuel is very difficult? Please confirm.
@aniketi, I'm a responsible enough member on team-bhp and wouldn't come up with such a stupid error.
I repeat again, the replacement was done at 1,60,000 kms and I have seen the service record of the vehicle till 1,50,000 kms. There was no fuel filter replacement done till then. Toyota service advisor mentioned that it's quite normal for these fuel filters to last till 1.5 lakh
Even for Petrol Etios, the fuel filter replacement interval is 80,000 kms.
And it's not the first time, that Toyota has tried out this filter. They use the same type of filter on Innovas as well.
And it's not just the fuel filter that is long lasting on a Toyota, it extends to air filter, brake fluid, coolant, transmission oil, clutch fluid, and even the injectors. Check the comparison, I had posted earlier. - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3062893
It's indeed for a reason that Toyota sells more number of cars than anyone else in the world ( inspite of their boring designs )

So, I would instead request you not to post misleading replies here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Last week DSK toyota Pune told me that fuel filter replacement for etios/liva diesel is minimum at 80K km. Some etios run much more than 80K km without need to replace the fuel filter. So, all etios may not run upto 160K km without fuel filter change, but 80K is normal. Please be informed before making comments like "misleading".
Thanks for clarifying, @sups.
PS: I'll be meeting the owner of the longest run Etios in town soon. By now, he has covered 1,70,000 kms. Eagerly looking forward to that meeting.

Last edited by amalji : 15th March 2013 at 12:34.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 13:47   #100
BHPian

1.6L kms for a fuel filter replacement is brilliant indeed; but not unheard of. In bangalore, the customers I've met do keep complaining about various rattlings and noises. However, when it comes to the engine and transmission category, the coin flips over. No one, and i mean no one has any sort of durability issues at all. In fact, some people forget to take their cars for regular service and notice it only after a year or so These vehicles are simple brilliant.
Carb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 14:33   #101
BANNED

Quote:
@aniketi, I'm a responsible enough member on team-bhp and wouldn't come up with such a stupid error.
I repeat again, the replacement was done at 1,60,000 kms and I have seen the service record of the vehicle till 1,50,000 kms. There was no fuel filter replacement done till then. Toyota service advisor mentioned that it's quite normal for these fuel filters to last till 1.5 lakh
Even for Petrol Etios, the fuel filter replacement interval is 80,000 kms.
And it's not the first time, that Toyota has tried out this filter. They use the same type of filter on Innovas as well.
And it's not just the fuel filter that is long lasting on a Toyota, it extends to air filter, brake fluid, coolant, transmission oil, clutch fluid, and even the injectors. Check the comparison, I had posted earlier. - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3062893
It's indeed for a reason that Toyota sells more number of cars than anyone else in the world ( inspite of their boring designs )

So, I would instead request you not to post misleading replies here.

Thanks for clarifying, @sups.
PS: I'll be meeting the owner of the longest run Etios in town soon. By now, he has covered 1,70,000 kms. Eagerly looking forward to that meeting.
Hmm ... I guess i got confused with Air filter. I guess it needs to be changed frequently. Thanks for correcting me & adding it into my database. Looks like working in IT has done some impact on my memory

Sorry for the inconvenience guys. So one question, if someone use filter for so long means for such a long mileage, will not it affect the performance? Will it impact on average?
Old 15th March 2013, 17:29   #102
BHPian

Quote:
.... one question, if someone use filter for so long means for such a long mileage, will not it affect the performance? Will it impact on average?
Yes mate, it will affect the vehicle performance and the fuel consumption. But a really good design of the filter would suggest lower losses. Also, the design of the fuel inlet, the quality of the filter and even the quality of fuel used, determine the life of the fuel filter Basically, the amount of clogging is inversely proportional to the filter's life.
Old 15th March 2013, 17:50   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the inconvenience guys.
It's fine. We are all humans after all.

Quote:
So one question, if someone use filter for so long means for such a long mileage, will not it affect the performance? Will it impact on average?
Toyota has a sensor to detect the fuel flow rate. In case, it dips below required value, an alert will come up in dash. Unless this lights up, as per Toyota, it's not going to affect vehicle performance any way. Probably the whole system is designed accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Please keep it going. Toyota should be grateful to you for showing them in good light.
The last time, I visited Toyota, I told them they are not projecting their strong points anywhere in their ad. I'm not sure why they don't do so. The maintenance, service cost and swiftness in service of a Toyota is in a league on its own.
Old 15th March 2013, 18:26   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The last time, I visited Toyota, I told them they are not projecting their strong points anywhere in their ad. I'm not sure why they don't do so.
One thing, there happen to be cases, contradictory - exceptions, due to which they have to stick to political neutral stand and not say too much in case things backfire upon them. So they will only quote this is recommended and standard etc, but if some failures happen they will not shy away from giving answers like sir, there are many factors that affect it instead of saying the part could have caused the issue. That keeps their image correct Such cases exist on various counts, clutch, brake noise, notchy gear shifts, filters being replaced early etc but people must be shying away from admitting it, probably wanting to keep their own Toyota Q image intact. This is not to say that the quality and reliability is a myth in all cases and all aspects.

Quote:
The maintenance, service cost and swiftness in service of a Toyota is in a league on its own.
I have to disagree on one count though, swiftness. I have seen much too many being tormented by Toyota's waiting game, waiting in owner's lounge for even day at end even for small things, some things not in order while delivery etc. So it is quite subjective actually. However, maintenance and cost are somethings to stand for. I personally have spent days at end working from owner's lounge until getting delivery in the evening on quite a few occasions and seen quite a few alongwith me waiting for their turn.

Do I sound agnostic while talking of Toyota? Well, it is just that I would rather like people keep their eyes open no matter who they are dealing with. Also not take things for granted but only understand the basic standards with possibility of deviations.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 19:16   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
One thing, there happen to be cases, contradictory - exceptions, due to which they have to stick to political neutral stand and not say too much in case things backfire upon them. So they will only quote this is recommended and standard etc, but if some failures happen they will not shy away from giving answers like sir, there are many factors that affect it instead of saying the part could have caused the issue. That keeps their image correct
That explanation makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
I have to disagree on one count though, swiftness. I have seen much too many being tormented by Toyota's waiting game, waiting in owner's lounge for even day at end even for small things, some things not in order while delivery etc.
So it is quite subjective actually.
I'm not sure why this happens for you. My experience have been always timely. The longest I ever had to wait was 5 hours after giving the car for service. Even in that case, they told me in advance that it would take 5 hours because of the suspension replacement under warranty for fixing the famous 'thud' bug on Etios. Other than in this scenario, they give my car back in 2 hours flat after giving the car for service.

And I can see the status of servicing of my car on a big screen which shows the ETA as well as current status.

The dealer I've ( and my Mother who owns a Liva ) used till now are

Nippon Toyota, Kalamassery, Cochin ( Supposedly the biggest car showroom in India )
Nippon Toyota, Nettoor, Cochin &
Nippon Toyota, Trivandrum

It has been the same experience on all of them.

The best thing I like about these service centers are that they are in the same place as the car showroom. So, any bad remark from an owner will be instantly visible to a potential buyer. In Nippon Toyota Kalamassery, even the launch for the people who come for service and sales are the same.

PS: I always make sure that I take prior appointment before visiting them.

Last edited by amalji : 15th March 2013 at 19:20.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks