Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2013, 09:44   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota to launch the Etios and Liva facelift. EDIT : Launched (details on Page 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
My experience says that a centrally mounted console is better than a steering mounted console, once you are used to it. Looks unconventional, true, but you can keep a watch on the speedo and other signals without shifting your eyes from the road.
+1 to that. I used to hate central console for the first few months of using Etios and liva. But, once I got used to it, I start missing it whenever I drive a car without the center console.

One of the main advantages is the freedom to use steering tilt without obstructing the speedo view. On both fiesta and beat, the steering cut right across the speedo in my comfortable steering position.

Add to that the easy visibility due to the lower angle of deviation from the road to speedo. And whenever I miss something on the meter, passenger on the left side will alert me.
Old 20th March 2013, 14:28   #137
BHPian

Re: Toyota to launch the Etios and Liva facelift. EDIT : Launched (details on Page 4)

Amalji,

Did you get a chance to attend the Toyota session- very keen to know on the changes in NVH? I was very impressed with the new Etios NVH, seems pretty much bearable. This is one part where I would hate my Etios but otherwise nothing!

If Toyota cares for its customers and helps improve the NVH on the older cars at a nominal costs they are sure to convert many customers to die hard fans.

Cheers!
Old 20th March 2013, 19:52   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohanan View Post
Amalji,

Did you get a chance to attend the Toyota session- very keen to know on the changes in NVH? I was very impressed with the new Etios NVH, seems pretty much bearable. This is one part where I would hate my Etios but otherwise nothing!

If Toyota cares for its customers and helps improve the NVH on the older cars at a nominal costs they are sure to convert many customers to die hard fans.
Yes, I did attend the session and also had a conversation with the technical lead in Nippon Toyota.

This is the latest info, I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Talked with the technical head today. These are the inputs I got.
  • He was of the opinion that Hydraulic mounts will reduce more of vibration ( while starting and the jerk caused by engine weight when taking a pothole ) than noise.
  • He can be sure about the feasibility of fitting hydraulic mounts, only after getting the full details regarding the technical changes on the new Etios. But, he was hopeful that it should be possible.
  • Regarding Noise, he mentioned that it could be more to do with the dampening materials used in engine firewall ( both in front and behind ). He also mentioned that doing the same mod on the firewall is a complicated work, and that the same perfection that can be achieved on the factory cannot be achieved.
I got info from another person that there are 2 hydraulic mounts used on the Etios Diesel and that cost comes around Rs. 6,000/- ( The old rubber mounts used to cost around Rs. 2,000/- )

Part Numbers

1) 12305-0N071 ( right )
2) 12372-0N071 ( left )

Also Quoting a South African website mentioning about the hydraulic mounts used on Etios 1.5l Petrol -
The engine mount upgrade is the best option available as of now. But, even for that, he need to get the full technical change specification before giving a confirmation. These are the possible advantages after change in engine mount to hydraulic
  1. Better vibration control especially during engine start and idling
  2. Better ride comfort. He was of the opinion that while the car bumps into a pot hole, the impact absorption will be smoother with a hydraulic mount.
  3. Better rattle control because in most cases, rattle is caused by high engine vibration frequency
  4. Possibly even noise control because as per the south african dealer, the left engine mount reduces the noise from the transmission. But, the technical lead was not sure about it though.
This is what the South African website of Toyota says -
  • A hydraulic compound-type engine mount is used for the right engine mount to achieve both excellent ride comfort and low vibration when idling.
  • An engine mount with a dynamic damper is adopted for the left engine mount to reduce gear noise, thus achieving low noise and vibration during driving.

Last edited by amalji : 20th March 2013 at 19:56.
Old 20th March 2013, 22:42   #139
Senior - BHPian

Scheduled to get the front and rear suspension upgrade for our Etios alongwith 20k service. The parts seem to have arrived for our Etios as communicated by dealership.

You need to
- raise it as complaint and be firm with 'THUD' issue being faced on either ends, front and rear
- plan to allow for decent time to get the parts from Toyota
- ask them nicely and insist for both (as required, I wanted both for once) with follow-up
- one may get to hear that it is on a case to case basis based upon Toyota's approval only after inspection of suspension at either ends of the car and report submitted to Toyota, but be firm on your demand nicely
- they seem to be sincerely trying to address all, but prioritizing first the customers whose warranty may be getting over (not yrs but kms, it is only 2 yrs from its launch), so they may try to delay yours if not urgent, just understand the situation and work your way around nicely as per timelines of both, adjust for the time etc

Will try get the pics if they allow watching it. Lets see how the upgrade works out.

Last edited by parsh : 20th March 2013 at 22:43.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 00:23   #140
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, I did not read through the 10 pages, but if there was to be a facelift, it should have included rearranging the instrument panel back to the driver's side at least as an option. This radical ugly design is something they should have corrected, most owners will agree to this one.
Old 21st March 2013, 09:03   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Scheduled to get the front and rear suspension upgrade for our Etios alongwith 20k service.
What is the problem that you face in the rear suspension of Etios? I never noticed any problem in my Liva, or am I missing something?

At 10,000 km my Liva went for a change of front suspension. Is there anything I need to do with the rear suspensions too?
Old 21st March 2013, 09:15   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
What is the problem that you face in the rear suspension of Etios? I never noticed any problem in my Liva, or am I missing something?

At 10,000 km my Liva went for a change of front suspension. Is there anything I need to do with the rear suspensions too?
Well, it may depend upon your driving habits and how you like to take over the rough roads, ditches, speed breakers.

I like to run over these things little carelessly and effortlessly without bother. So I observe kind of Thud sounds at either ends infrequently. Hence I am getting both ends changed for once.

I have not driven any Liva as yet, so can't comment on it. But Liva's wheelbase is also smaller than Etios by 90 mm (9 cm) which is a lot and effective at rear. That is why it may have different behavior than Etios and may need respectively different treatment.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 10:20   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have not driven any Liva as yet, so can't comment on it. But Liva's wheelbase is also smaller than Etios by 90 mm (9 cm) which is a lot and effective at rear. That is why it may have different behavior than Etios and may need respectively different treatment.
I haven't faced ( maybe, it has to do with my driving style ) any issue with rear suspensions till date on my Etios ( sedan ) . will double check anyway.

Are you sure that Toyota has a new design even for the rear suspensions? If possible, please share the part number, when you do the replacement. :-)

Last edited by amalji : 21st March 2013 at 10:25.
Old 21st March 2013, 10:26   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Well, it may depend upon your driving habits and how you like to take over the rough roads, ditches, speed breakers.

I like to run over these things little carelessly and effortlessly without bother. So I observe kind of Thud sounds at either ends infrequently. Hence I am getting both ends changed for once.
I think I get your point. As my driving habit is same where I do not want to care much about the rough roads. Not sure about Etios, but in a Liva one needs to care about rough roads if he/she is above 55-60 km/hr. With the suspension change, the thud sound will go and ride becomes better with a stiffer suspension setup. But still I can't afford to be careless about the roads. I made the same complaint to toyota and they just added spacer at the back, which will have hardly any effect if I am driving alone. And this is one area I liked so much while driving a Punto, I can afford to be careless about the roads. I must mention that, at low speeds, Liva soaks the bumps well, a typical of relatively soft suspension setup.
Old 21st March 2013, 10:28   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't faced ( maybe, it has to do with my driving style ) any issue with rear suspensions till date on my Etios ( sedan ) . will double check anyway.

Are you sure that Toyota has a new design even for the rear suspensions. If possible, please get me the part number, when you do the replacement.
I did observe the infrequent thuds at both ends, depending upon how I was driving at a particular time, having driven it in Pune, Sinhagad, Lavassa areas on various roads etc.

Earlier, they were saying it has got to do with only some adjustments in the existing setup. However, I insisted about the new setup having come up and being replaced in warranty, and they readily agree to get both.

Will surely do. I am planning to do the snapping business and get all info when I go for it next week. They had allowed me to be present at shopfloor and snap along for the fuel hose change campaign. So I am hoping they will allow this time also. I do not mind standing for hours if required. Lets see.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 18:39   #146
BHPian

So that goes to say, the old folks need to bear with the NVH or resort to aftermarket damping- That's a disappointing news!

I will keep a watch on the thread to check the Hydraulic mounting costs but if this involves a lot of technical change and work I will be skeptical- Just for the reason that I found Nandi Toyota, Bangalore very poor on workmanship :(
(Unlikely of a Toyota)
Old 22nd March 2013, 16:25   #147
Senior - BHPian

Link to 2013 (Upgraded) Etios & Etios-Liva test Drive report by ACI:

http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/3...t-drive.aspx/5

Excerpts
Quote:
1. The dashboard plastics used are the same as before and you’ll see this in the grain used, so it’s just the clever selection of colours that makes all the difference.
2. The central instrument cluster gets icy blue backlighting which, along with the all-new 2-DIN audio system, seriously improves the dull looking dashboard.
3. The cheap-looking air-con controls on the previous model have been replaced by solid-looking knobs that have a nice tactile feel.
4. The flat and thin seats have been completely replaced by ones that feel luxurious in comparison. The front seats have height adjustment for the driver (on the G model upwards) generous cushioning, lots of under-thigh support and adjustable headrests.
5. The rear seats on the Etios gets bigger fixed headrests, while the Liva gets adjustable ones.
6. A special focus was given to lower in-cabin noise and what the new Etios gets is a proper noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) package. This includes a switch from rubber engine mounts to more refined, sound-absorbing hydraulic mounts. The silencer has been modified for better NVH as well, and the damper settings have been fine-tuned to take some of the clunkiness out of the suspension.
7. There’s less suspension noise and the ride has improved considerably.
CARDEEP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:37   #148
Senior - BHPian

... & the link to OD Test drive review of the 2013 Etios twins:

http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...t-drive/15932/

Excerpts:
Quote:
1. Refreshed front grille, with little protrusions ("aero fins" as Toyota calls them) along the vertical slats giving it a slightly sporty appearance. The same "aero fins" can also be found on the revamped taillight clusters of both cars.
2. The ORVMs have lost their boxy appearance and have now been replaced with sleeker, more streamlined units, with the top end trim levels also getting built in turn indicators.
3. The change in interior colour scheme to 2-tone premium Ash Brown adds a sense of conventionality and class to the interior.
4. The A/C knobs have been worked on to feel more premium than before.
5. There are a whole plethora of mechanical changes to go with the aesthetic improvements as well, such as thicker insulation and hydraulic engine mounts for reduced NVH levels, an updated exhaust system, slightly increased ground clearance, stronger bumper retainers and an enhanced suspension.
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 19:20   #149
BHPian

Quote:

Are you sure that Toyota has a new design even for the rear suspensions? If possible, please share the part number, when you do the replacement. :-)
Hi amalji I am new to this forum. I am currently working at Perinthalmanna.
I also got my Etios (P) VX 2011 Model's front suspension replaced under warranty a few days ago. At that time I complained to Amana Toyota Malappuram about sagging of rear suspension under full load. My Etios, which has covered 27,400km hasn't faced any major issues till now. At full load my car used to scrape speed brakers in Bangalore. When I complained to them, the concerned person told me that Toyota has designed new rear suspension (which comes as standard in the new Etios) and it will not be replaced under warranty. But as I really wanted to get it replaced I ordered the part and am planning get the rear suspension replaced along with 30k service on 27th March. The SA was telling me that only a part of the rear suspension assembly will be replaced and roughly it'll cost me around 2000 INR.
I will post the details on 27th March when I get the replacement done along with the part number etc.

Note: I did not get any sound from my car's rear suspension but only sagging, which was really annoying me.

Last edited by mroptimist : 23rd March 2013 at 19:41. Reason: Some grammatical corrections.
mroptimist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 15:37   #150
BHPian

Any news on how the market is responding to the facelift?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks