Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2013, 10:35   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata guarantees residual value, offers 60% buyback after 3 years

A very good initiative I'd say, after 3 years if you are getting 60% of the initial cost back without haggling, then there will be a lot more people wanting to upgrade to the latest versions of the same car.
Old 7th March 2013, 10:48   #92
BHPian

If its 60% of ex showroom value ,its on par with market rates. Isn't it?
Old 7th March 2013, 10:50   #93
BHPian

Is there any link to terms and conditions of the said offer?
Old 7th March 2013, 11:38   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
A very good initiative I'd say, after 3 years if you are getting 60% of the initial cost back without haggling, .
We need to wait for the fine print. At the end of third year, All car conditions will not be the same, So there could be some clause which allows for some negotiation and discount on 60%.
It is like lease return in US, when you return at the end of the lease, they will check the vehicle and come up with a list of damages and come up with an exorbitant figure to repair the same. After lot of negotiation, they will say, we will waive the damage charges, if you buy a new car from us and most probably will charge slightly higher price than you should have got otherwise.
In addition to clearing the current stock, TM will get a repeat customer, who will be forced to buy another tata car.
Old 7th March 2013, 11:56   #95
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors to slash Indica, Indigo prices as sales plunge

An expected fallout of the Tata Motors falling sales: They are now going slow on their production. TaMo needs to aggressive pursue their case in front of the Indians else it might have to consider closing one of the passenger vehicle producing units (Pune / Sanand).

ET article here

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/18840815.cms
Old 7th March 2013, 14:22   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Does this scheme of 60% resale value mandate the car to be exchanged or sold right after 3 years? What happens if the owner is interested in selling the car after 4 years or even 5? 3 years is too a low time frame for (most) private owners to sell their cars and upgrade to something better.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 15:59   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Does this scheme of 60% resale value mandate the car to be exchanged or sold right after 3 years? What happens if the owner is interested in selling the car after 4 years or even 5? 3 years is too a low time frame for (most) private owners to sell their cars and upgrade to something better.
Exactly.
There should have been at least 3-4 slabs.
Old 7th March 2013, 16:36   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
Now Tata is offering a buy back option wherein they will buy back Manza for 60% of the price after 3 years.
Is this offer valid only on Diesel Manza? If not, then wouldn't the Petrol Manza have among the highest resale for non Maruti Petrol Cars?
Old 7th March 2013, 16:58   #99
BHPian

I think the 60% offer will only be on the ex-showroom price of the car, whereas the market normally assumes it to be on the on the road price. If that is the case, the offer is not much attractive IMO.
Old 7th March 2013, 17:36   #100
Senior - BHPian

I guess we need to wait for the "conditions apply" to know the fine prints.

Tata cars age faster than other manufactures, but the Vista and Manza seem to be much better than the older Indi series. They should easily last 5 years of abuse.

But 3 years is tad low for someone to sell a car. Why would a person sell a car every 3 years ?
1. Either he is nearing 1L kms
2. Company lease programs etc

We need to see if Tata is unconditionally(or in real world figures of 1 lakh kms) offering 60% after 3 years ?

I sincerely wish them good luck. We really need TATA to transform like M&M did. If not UV, they should do it in passenger car area.

5 years down the line, I am looking forward to a pure indian car with reliability of Toyota and the service backup of Maruti.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 21:28   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Thanks diffsoft, went through the entire thread and see one general behavior between the way Tata handled the case and the way they handle new product launches in general - "delay everything as much as you can"

Have to say I no longer wonder why Tata is seeing the current sales numbers. No discounts or resale value assurance would convince a Tata owner who has had a bad experience with Tata service.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 22:25   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
It is definately a good Idea after 3 years most TATA vehicles are in the range of 40-50% of their original price and this get the customer better overall value and in addition opens up the opportunity for TATA to sell the customer another car after 3 years, as the customer will be getting in touch with them and will have 60% value (of current car) cash in hand.
I doubt that figure you are quoting. Resale value of Tata vehicles is poor compared to peer group but not as bad as mentioned above. When I was hunting out for a bargain diesel hatch, I saw many Vistas ( finally bought one too ) but almost all were losing approximately 25-40% max of their original purchase price.

Last edited by narayan : 7th March 2013 at 22:29.
Old 7th March 2013, 22:34   #103
BHPian

This is only going to make it more difficult for the brand. Cheap and un-imaginative gets added to the staid, predictable and un-reliable.Rather they add more value and sustain the price.

Mr Slym and Yadav must make sure Tata Motors goes the Samsung way so be it a long, hard , painful journey but then somewhere it has to begin, no short cuts to that especially in the short to medium term. Otherwise they rather stop now, swallow their pride and save their resources for something more rewarding.
Old 11th March 2013, 14:28   #104
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I doubt that figure you are quoting. Resale value of Tata vehicles is poor compared to peer group but not as bad as mentioned above. When I was hunting out for a bargain diesel hatch, I saw many Vistas ( finally bought one too ) but almost all were losing approximately 25-40% max of their original purchase price.
I would then stand corrected, thanks, Though frankly my experience is more pertaining to Safari, Grande & Aria and to some extent Manza. Not too aware on the Vista and Indica price points.

Actually as they say the bigger you are the faster you fall, - the more expensive the vehicle the faster it depreciates - True even for other brands though.

Yet saw that you mentioned that you were looking at picking up a vehicle and here we are talking about selling one, and there in itself could like another 10-20% difference from the point of view of someone looking at selling a vehicle.

Last edited by ACM : 11th March 2013 at 14:29.

Most Viewed