Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2014, 18:22   #391
BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs

Force motors is forgetting an important aspect of aspirations of the Indian automobile market. For the brand to achieve decent numbers in sales it's as important to have top notch interiors as the already splendid performance based mechanicals on this 4x4. I know some people in this forum might not agree with me. However I am just putting across my observation about the market in general.

Other observations are:
- improving of awkward steering position. Just check the position of the steering in the G-Wagen or to that matter most urban SUVs on sale in India
- Doors for side rear entry. Why should this be offered in only 'very' short wheel base format. Why not with 5 doors?
- What are these colours? It's such a turn off, these vehicle exterior colours.

I think Force really needs good luck charm to sell these vehicles in this form and shape.

My honest advice to the various teams in the company behind this product is to look beyond automobile experts for design of this otherwise beautiful car. Please think outside the square. Get some design experts from even the clothing industry to make it look pleasing to the eyes as well. Get some architects too on board to churn some refinement in this product. Please, Please, Please.

I realised immediately after watching the Force One Bachan's ad that people are seriously advising you in the wrong way in your go-to-market strategy.

All the best Force Motors!
Cuatro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 15:35   #392
BHPian

Couple of weeks ago, spotted a silver Force Gama Classic (5 door) in Borivali-Mumbai, with a similar snorkel to the one visible on the new Gurkha photos. The vehicle appeared quite new and the spare tyre mounted on the rear door even had transparent plastic bubble wrap around it. Assume the snorkel would be functional too. Sole occupant was the driver.

Should the snorkel imply there is the Gama 4x4 available still ?

While it wasn't possible to check the registration from the distance, could spotting it in Mumbai mean a BS-4 version ? - fingers crossed.
Old 15th July 2014, 21:21   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Please check out my review here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...rce-calls.html
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 14:34   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
I asked the Delhi Force Dealer in November, he said the car would be available in December and TD would commence from 1st January.

Then I called in December, he said the car would be available in January and TD would commence from 1st February.

Then I called in January (fill in the months).

Then I called in February.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
You are probably the first person to get a "Call back" from any Force showroom on Gurkha
They say if you wish for something long enough, it eventually comes true. Yesterday I got a call back (yes) from the Force Dealer in Delhi. They said the Gurkha is available on display. Bookings are being taken. TDs will start from this weekend. I was in the area anyway for TDing a different vehicle, so went and checked out the Gurkha at the Force dealership.

Mind you, this is Force Motors. So in case you're expecting they would park their flagship 4X4 in the centre of the display hall - surrounded with plastic cutouts of mountain and snow and the front wheel parked at an incline - they didn't. In fact, there was no Gurkha in the display hall at all! I was attended to by an eager sales person, offered refreshments, then taken to the workshop nearby. After wading through stacks of Travellers and Force Ones I was finally face to face with the (very dirty, just arrived from stockyard) black beast.

The new plastic bits do no favors to the Gurkha's looks. In fact the comical front and silly tiny tail lights just take away the fact that its a purpose built vehicle. I had read (in the Sep 2014 Overdrive issue) that Force Motors has taken media feedback on the terrible interiors and ergonomics to heart, and is working to better the same. At least the vehicle I saw did not come with those improvements. No jump seats at the rear, so a strict 5 seater now. Will reserve any more comment till I take the TD.

Force is taking bookings for the Gurkha through dealerships now. It is still BS3. They will sell the vehicle to you with temporary registration and you will have to arrange the registration yourself.

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-force-price-list-october-2014.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I just saw an article in the Deccan Chronicle which reports that the Gurkha will be sold again from Sep 2014. Force motors will make available test-drive vehicles at the personal vehicles showrooms.
They did! Just a month's delay from the deadline of Sep 2014, which is more than punctual by Force Motors standards. Price list attached for your reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Wonder what new feature it will have? Red colour split bumpers and fluorescent seat covers ?
None whatsoever, and thank god for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
The Force web site does not have the price for Gurkha published. Do you think this will be done for this new release.
See the price list above.

Quote:
Prices are being shown in the Gurkha website now, however no change from the previous BS 3 version prices. So it was not for any 'new' release. I am anyways not expecting the BS4 version anytime soon. Let the BS3 version first show up in the showrooms for test drive!
As you said, only the BS3 has shown up.
predatorwheelz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 15:48   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
At least the vehicle I saw did not come with those improvements. No jump seats at the rear, so a strict 5 seater now. Will reserve any more comment till I take the TD
When you TD, please check the following:

1) Ease of finding/shifting gears.
2) Steering wheel position.
4) Whether condensor fans have been added for AC.
Old 10th October 2014, 20:22   #396
Team-BHP Support

looks they have updated website as well , prices match - no clue on specifications or features

http://www.forcemotors.com/vehicle/index/force_gurkha
Old 10th October 2014, 21:05   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..Yesterday I got a call back (yes) from the Force Dealer in Delhi.
Good news and lucky you

Quote:
In fact, there was no Gurkha in the display hall at all! I was attended to by an eager sales person, offered refreshments, then taken to the workshop nearby.
Probably it will take few more weeks for the Gurkha to reach the Display area in the showroom!
Quote:
At least the vehicle I saw did not come with those improvements.
If at least some improvements have been done on the mechanical side based on the feedbacks, that would be good. Awaiting the TD experience.
Quote:
..It is still BS3. They will sell the vehicle to you with temporary registration and you will have to arrange the registration yourself.
Wonder how easy it will be for some non-local resident living in areas like NCR to go and find a 'BS 3 zone' on his own to register his Gurkha!
Old 13th October 2014, 12:31   #398
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Wonder how easy it will be for some non-local resident living in areas like NCR to go and find a 'BS 3 zone' on his own to register his Gurkha!
Some people like you can never be satisfied. The fact that they'll actually sell you a Gurkha should be enough for you to thank your stars/good karma/deeds from past life. Asking for support with BS3 registration is typical human greed
AVR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 00:20   #399
Senior - BHPian

A good product which could have changed the Indian OTR/4WD scene, but bad management killed it.

No wonder MM capitalized the OTR/4WD scene with THAR, and now TATA realized it by hiring our beloved Bawa Ji.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 14:20   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprise !! Surprise !!

Called my local Force Personal Vehicles dealer today to enquire about the Gurka. Two thing surpsised me 1) There was a very polished and polite gentleman on the other end of the line. 2) They had two Gurkha's one for Test Drive and the other to Sell. The test drive vehicle was out in a town about an hours drive from my place, but still I decided to go and check out the one in the showroom for sale.

Overall Force has made a number of improvments, especially when compared to the 2013 one I drove. This was the one that was launced at the Aut Expo.

1) Gearbox seems to be more slick. Obviously not in the league of the japanese or even Thar CRDe, but much much better than before.

2) The steering wheel is now smaller. Earlier they had a humongous steering wheel and since it is very horizontally placed, one had to reach out when turning the steering wheel. Now since the diamter is smaller, it can be turned much more easily.

3) Dash is better designed. The Instrument Cluster is the same, but the AC vents and controls are much better now. The RPM Meter should have been placed along with the other dials, but this can be moved quite easily. There is finally a button to control the thermostat. The RPM Meter is now atleast faced up rather than facing down to the floor like the previous one. I would make a small box and relocate the rpm meter to just above the Instrument Panel.

4) The AC has fan for the Condensor so the overheating problem from before may be resolved.

5) There are door switches to control cabin lights so fixing central locking and power windows should be fairly easy.

The rep was was very polite and polished guy. On-road price in Tamil Nadu is 9.7 Lakhs. Basically for 1.5 Lakhs over the Thar CRDe you get a more family friendly vehicle with lockable hard top and comfortable seating for 5 people. They will call me when the test drive vehicle gets back and I will update with a more detailed report. The biggest flaw when compared to the Thar CRDe is the relatively underpowered engine. Force needs to bump up the output to about 114 bhp and 25 kgm Torque.

Overall, Force Motors is moving in the right direction.

P.S. I have attached picture of older AC blower set up for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-gurkhadash.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-gearlever.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-gurkhapic9.jpg  

Last edited by 4x4addict : 14th October 2014 at 14:24.
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 23:36   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
A good product which could have changed the Indian OTR/4WD scene, but bad management killed it.

No wonder MM capitalized the OTR/4WD scene with THAR, and now TATA realized it by hiring our beloved Bawa Ji.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Called my local Force Personal Vehicles dealer today to enquire about the Gurka. Two thing surpsised me 1) There was a very polished and polite gentleman on the other end of the line. 2) They had two Gurkha's one for Test Drive and the other to Sell. The test drive vehicle was out in a town about an hours drive from my place, but still I decided to go and check out the one in the showroom for sale.

Overall Force has made a number of improvments, especially when compared to the 2013 one I drove. This was the one that was launced at the Aut Expo.

1) Gearbox seems to be more slick. Obviously not in the league of the japanese or even Thar CRDe, but much much better than before.

2) The steering wheel is now smaller. Earlier they had a humongous steering wheel and since it is very horizontally placed, one had to reach out when turning the steering wheel. Now since the diamter is smaller, it can be turned much more easily.

3) Dash is better designed. The Instrument Cluster is the same, but the AC vents and controls are much better now. The RPM Meter should have been placed along with the other dials, but this can be moved quite easily. There is finally a button to control the thermostat. The RPM Meter is now atleast faced up rather than facing down to the floor like the previous one. I would make a small box and relocate the rpm meter to just above the Instrument Panel.

4) The AC has fan for the Condensor so the overheating problem from before may be resolved.

5) There are door switches to control cabin lights so fixing central locking and power windows should be fairly easy.

The rep was was very polite and polished guy. On-road price in Tamil Nadu is 9.7 Lakhs. Basically for 1.5 Lakhs over the Thar CRDe you get a more family friendly vehicle with lockable hard top and comfortable seating for 5 people. They will call me when the test drive vehicle gets back and I will update with a more detailed report. The biggest flaw when compared to the Thar CRDe is the relatively underpowered engine. Force needs to bump up the output to about 114 bhp and 25 kgm Torque.

Overall, Force Motors is moving in the right direction.

P.S. I have attached picture of older AC blower set up for reference.
Your photos have validated my earlier post about a good product going down the drain!

What kind of engineer would place the hand brake next to the gear lever?
Old 15th October 2014, 10:21   #402
Senior - BHPian

Re: Surprise !! Surprise !!

Quote:
The test drive vehicle was out in a town about an hours drive from my place, but still I decided to go and check out the one in the showroom for sale.
Do let us know when you get a TD. In my case, the Delhi dealer is yet to confirm availability of TD vehicle. My calls are responded to with "let me check and get back to you sir".

Quote:
There are door switches to control cabin lights so fixing central locking and power windows should be fairly easy.
Can you explain what you mean here? What do switches to control cabin lights have to do with central locking and power windows?

Quote:
Gearbox seems to be more slick. Obviously not in the league of the japanese or even Thar CRDe, but much much better than before.
How did you figure this out without a test drive?
Old 15th October 2014, 12:03   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Surprise !! Surprise !!

Quote:
Can you explain what you mean here? What do switches to control cabin lights have to do with central locking and power windows?
I was comparing with the Thar which has no door switch, hence you need to go in first and then turn on the cabin lights at night. When there is a door switch, the light will come on automatically when you put the light switch in the door setting.

Remote central locking needs a door switch to send signal to Alarm ECU whether door is open or closed.

If there is already an electrical point inside the door then it makes installing power windows easier as you don't have to tap a wire from the body inside the door for the power window winder motor. I had to do this for my Thar DI.

Quote:
How did you figure this out without a test drive?
I shifted gears of the stationary vehicle and was able to engage all gears properly which I wasn't able to do the last time.

I was able to get a test drive today. I found the engine to underpowered for the weight of the vehicle. It doesn't feel nimble and in fact feels a bit ponderous/fat.

The interior space is much better than Thar range. 4 or even 5 passengers can travel in comfort with luggage. Entry to front facing rear seat is reasonably easy. For older people it is best to remove the headrest so front seat can be folded further.

Basically the Gurkha is much more family friendly than the Thar, but it is way too underpowered for regular use. Now that dealers have test drive vehicles, I suggest you drive it and make a call. It is not everyone's cup of tea. Personally, I decided to retain my Thar DI 4x4 and get a Duster AWD.
Old 15th October 2014, 22:16   #404
Senior - BHPian

Gurkha will not make any sense until they do something about that snail of an engine...cmon FM, who gives a 80/230 something bhps in a 2 tonner. What do you think of their buyers, 10lac xd3p fans???

Last edited by The Wolf : 15th October 2014 at 22:17.
The Wolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 09:05   #405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Gurkha will not make any sense until they do something about that snail of an engine...cmon FM, who gives a 80/230 something bhps in a 2 tonner. What do you think of their buyers, 10lac xd3p fans???
Once I was done with my test drive there was a person directly from Force Motors there. I explained to him that anyone who buys a vehicle for 10 Lakhs on the road will have certain expectations. His reply to me was that according to top management, this vehicle has been designed only to be used off-road and hence they don't want to put powerful engine. He also told that diff locks will compensate for lack of power. .

Any ways, all I can tell you is that Force Motors has moved only an inch at a snails pace over the last three years. !!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks