Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2013, 23:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti to discontinue Estilo & A-Star EDIT: RIP, both

A report in Oncars states that Maruti is contemplating shutting down the production of the Estilo, by next month.

They are expecting Maruti to pull the plug on the Estilo, when the current financial year ends in March 2013.
The report also hint that the A-star could follow suit and a new model could replace the car.
Both these cars brought relatively fresher styling and equipment to the Rs 3.5 to 5 lakh bracket, but ironically it is the bare bones Wagon R that has been doing a better job of competing with cars like the Hyundai i10, Chevrolet Beat and Honda Brio.

Jan '13 sales figures for Estilo and A-Star stand at 1134 and 1178 each, reporting a YoY negative growth of -36% and -43% respectively.

Sales numbers sourced from our http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html

Source of the Oncar report: http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail...e-shelved/3570

Last edited by sarathlal : 2nd February 2013 at 23:22.
sarathlal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti to discontinue Estilo, A-star EDIT: Estilo axed

That is a surprising news to me. I knew they werent the best of sellers in the lot, but MSIL has had an habit of sticking with models year after year for so long that sometimes i used to wonder when would the model be phased out.

Its a good decision, its better to invest in areas which bring in better numbers. ~1K for MSIL isnt a number that could satisfy MSIL top brass.

On a funnier note, ~1K numbers could be much needed oxygen for Fiat.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Suzuki finally realized that India is no more a dumping ground and they need to phase out existing cars time to time.
While A-Star was recently designed, Zen Estilo dumped here was 1st gen MR Wagon. Yeah 12 year old design.

Good move I must say from the market leader

So do we expect these 2 to replace

1. A-Star replacement?
Maruti to discontinue Estilo & A-Star EDIT: RIP, both-suzukialtoconcept5.jpg

2. Zen Estilo replacement?
Maruti to discontinue Estilo & A-Star EDIT: RIP, both-suzukimrwagonconcept_1.jpg

Pics : Google search

When will we see all new M800??

Last edited by HammerHead : 3rd February 2013 at 11:12.
HammerHead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:17   #4
BHPian

Unless Maruti changes the odd looking OWL eye shaped headlamps, I dont see AStar can survive. Estilo is an un-necessary option in the Maruti Line up. It actually helped boosting WagonR's sales IMO.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

The A Star face-lift actually looks quite nice. This car was unveiled at a China auto show sometime back. As you must be knowing the A star is the Alto replacement globally.

Source
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to discontinue Estilo & A-Star EDIT: RIP, both-faceliftsuzukiastar3.jpg  

Maruti to discontinue Estilo & A-Star EDIT: RIP, both-faceliftsuzukiastar4.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 3rd February 2013 at 11:32.
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:04   #6
BHPian

I think this can really happen as the AStar and Estilo both are not doing well in the market from a long time. Just checked the January sales thread, both models are hovering around 1K figure mark which is too low for Maruti sales standards.

There are also rumors about A-Star facelift, what about that then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
When will we see all new M800??
How versions of M800 do you want to see?
We already have so many versions of it - 1). M800, 2). Alto, 3) Alto 800

Last edited by tbppjpr : 3rd February 2013 at 12:06.
Old 3rd February 2013, 13:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why would MSIL discontinue A-star, when it is made in India for exporting as Suzuki Alto and Nissan Pixo? Even with a facelift, A-star will still be manufactured in India.

The only reason for discontinuing A-star would be that MSIL does not want to go through the homologation process for A-star facelift.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 14:56   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The A-Star replacement is indeed very attractive, far from the quirky styling of the current model. A-Star doesn't find many takers much due to its styling. If MSIL does launch the above model then I guess it will be a success. It will be even better if it is launched with a "rumoured" 1.0L diesel heart as well.
Old 3rd February 2013, 16:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
A-Star doesn't find many takers much due to its styling.
The failure is not only because of styling, but also because of its very limited boot, and seemingly small rear leg space. But it has a very good platform in its credit that gives a very stable highway drive. So, inorder to make it a hit, Maruti has to lengthen the car by at least 200-250mm, and make the rear space and boot more appealing, while keeping its width and height the same to keep its plus points.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 17:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
How versions of M800 do you want to see?
We already have so many versions of it - 1). M800, 2). Alto, 3) Alto 800
What I mean is replacement to 27 year old design called 'Maruti 800'
I'm expecting this to replace M800

Pic : Google search
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to discontinue Estilo & A-Star EDIT: RIP, both-2012.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2013, 18:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
The failure is not only because of styling, but also because of its very limited boot, and seemingly small rear leg space.
You hit the nail. If styling was the only concern then cars like WagonR,the Alto or even the Bolero would not be the chart busters. The problem with A-star is the rear space coupled with the small rear door. You have to be physically fit enough to get into the rear seat.Leave the rear and its a hell of a car in the price range.
But I dont think it would be phased out.The car may not be doing well in domestic market but its 'the blue-eyed boy'(the colloquial term) of Maruti as far as exports are concerned.
Source: http://daily.bhaskar.com/article/BIZ...k-3195902.html

Estilo,well I find it better looking than the WagonR. Sadly,the mass market doesnt. Maybe improving the interiors of the car would have helped.
Old 4th February 2013, 09:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 4th February 2013 at 14:34.
ghodlur is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th February 2013, 09:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
The failure is not only because of styling, but also because of its very limited boot, and seemingly small rear leg space.
Absolutely! I own an A-star AT (wifey's) and the only complain I have is the boot. I actually love the styling /design.
Old 5th February 2013, 07:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat2kin View Post
Absolutely! I own an A-star AT (wifey's) and the only complain I have is the boot. I actually love the styling /design.
Quote:
The failure is not only because of styling, but also because of its very limited boot, and seemingly small rear leg space. But it has a very good platform in its credit that gives a very stable highway drive.
I agree to the first part however believe that there is one more reason why A-Star was could not do wonders on the sales chart.
I see i10 as a major reason why A-Star could not take off!! Compare these 2 cars and you will find numerous reasons to go for i10.

Quote:
So, inorder to make it a hit, Maruti has to lengthen the car by at least 200-250mm, and make the rear space and boot more appealing, while keeping its width and height the same to keep its plus points.
If they do this then this car will be placed head to head with Swift, price wise!! Which is not going to help either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Estilo,well I find it better looking than the WagonR. Sadly,the mass market doesnt. Maybe improving the interiors of the car would have helped.
Not many would agree you here
Old 5th February 2013, 09:39   #15
BHPian

A correct decision at a very delayed point in time. MSIL is kind of habitual to this process of letting the sales of it's certain models sag for years before they are pulled down.

Ah, well SX4 is one example which is still not looking at it's sunset for atleast 1-2 years to come now, that a facelift is in the works.

Personally, I think they will now be in a better position to channelize their efforts into the Wagin R and the Alto.

What's surprising is, that there were umpteen rumors floating around the launch of the new A-star. Maybe, as it was a dud, they intend to get the new model with a new name tag? Who knows!

Wish I had the same things to say for the Zen. That indeed is a cult car and inspite of the negative feedback that MSIL got for the Estilo, they havent taken any corrective actions. Would love to see the Zen brand resurface with a hit car.

-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 5th February 2013 at 09:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks