Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2013, 12:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault Duster AWD launched at Rs. 11.89 lakh (pg. 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junaid42465 View Post
All said and done about the quality of the interior etc etc. But a car like SUV with good ground clearance, good power to weight ratio and the best of all 4x4 with differential lock, which if I'm not wrong, even the Thar doesn't have. I think when plonked with a good winch, it will be a very capable SUV.

I have driven MG 410, MG 413, MM 530, MM 540 & MM 550 in road, desert, waist-deep water and about a foot deep mud. I always missed the differential lock. Except for the MM 530, in which I had to do it manually, in the desert. And I don't think that a non mod Jeep, for good articulation, extra lift and good tires, can actually do some real rock crawling.

So how about some expert comments about the Duster then?
Hi @Junaid42465

Do you think a monocoque body shell of the Duster can take the abuse of rough terrain like the ladder frame one?

I am sure it can't, despite whatever the company may claim, & it best it is a Dirt Trail Buster (as the name suggests), & for hardcore offroading you may need something more capable than this.
Old 19th March 2013, 12:04   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
AI always missed the differential lock. Except for the MM 530, in which I had to do it manually, in the desert.
What is a MM530? Never heard of this variant.
Old 19th March 2013, 12:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Going back to the headline of the thread, are there any more substantial reports that indicate any concrete plans by Renault to launch the 4x4? I can't seen to find any.
Old 19th March 2013, 12:49   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What is a MM530? Never heard of this variant.
Hey, I'm not a pro Jeeper and I might have made a mistake. I meant the shorter and less wider version of the MM Jeep, the one before the 540. It had the metal mudguards in the front with no plastic trims. The one I'm talking about, 2007-08, was the last I saw and drove them. After that they were phased out of service. Rather "Cl-V" as we say in the Army. I particularly remember the differential lock, because I was stuck in the sand with the rear left tyre halfway buried, as it my first experience of driving in the desert. The driver got off the vehicle, engaged the differential lock on the wheel hub and told me to drive in low ratio, keeping the steering straight, as it might break the differential. Believe me, I was taken in awe as how smoothly I was able to move out of the stuck situation.

If you know this model, kindly tell me it's correct nomenclature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

Hi @Junaid42465

Do you think a monocoque body shell of the Duster can take the abuse of rough terrain like the ladder frame one?

I am sure it can't, despite whatever the company may claim, & it best it is a Dirt Trail Buster (as the name suggests), & for hardcore offroading you may need something more capable than this.
Hey, I'm not suggesting that the monocoque is better then a ladder frame. Nor am I suggesting that it can do hardcore offroading. But with a lighter body, good engine and differential lock, it can be a very good offroader. Then again only time will tell that once it is released, tried and tested.

With good driving technique, even a Maruti 800 get out of many stuck situation, because of its very light body. Trust me, I have seen it. Come to the Northeast and you will see the impossible happening. Lol!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 19th March 2013 at 14:53. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Junaid42465 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 14:13   #50
BHPian

The 4x4 would anyway appeal to a niche market, we do not get too much snow in India. There are places and groups who would need or want a 4x4 but at a sensible price, which thanks to Renault's is not going to happen.

The 4x4 is around 2000 euros more than the 4x2 so it should be around a lakh more taking OTR to around 15 plus. I feel all variants of the Duster should be below 12 lakhs to give credence to its reason for existence, and maybe 13 otr for the 4x4.

Beyond that we are in premium territory which the Duster is not imho. Its a basic but good car which does justice to the designers vision, but the pricing must be in sync to complete the story.
Old 19th March 2013, 14:46   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I meant the shorter and less wider version of the MM Jeep, the one before the 540. It had the metal mudguards in the front with no plastic trims. The one I'm talking about, 2007-08, was the last I saw and drove them. After that they were phased out of service. Rather "Cl-V" as we say in the Army. I particularly remember the differential lock, because I was stuck in the sand with the rear left tyre halfway buried, as it my first experience of driving in the desert.
The MM540 first came in 1985, prior to that was CJ500? Anyway, I don't remember Mahindra ever releasing a Jeep with diff locks. Must be an aftermarket mod.
Old 19th March 2013, 14:54   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The MM540 first came in 1985, prior to that was CJ500? Anyway, I don't remember Mahindra ever releasing a Jeep with diff locks. Must be an aftermarket mod.
Ok must be the CJ then. These jeeps were the Army versions and we used to get it factory fitted with differential lock. Must be specially for the Army. The only mod we did was Central post for mounting the anti tank weapon. Before that it used to be modified for mounting the RCL gun, again a anti tank gun.
Old 19th March 2013, 15:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, I'm not suggesting that the monocoque is better then a ladder frame. Nor am I suggesting that it can do hardcore offroading. But with a lighter body, good engine and differential lock, it can be a very good offroader. Then again only time will tell that once it is released, tried and tested.

With good driving technique, even a Maruti 800 get out of many stuck situation, because of its very light body. Trust me, I have seen it. Come to the Northeast and you will see the impossible happening. Lol!
& I know that with the favourable power to weight ratio, Duster does has some serious advantage over popular SUVs (Scorpios & Safaris)... & few good drivers can pull M800 out of muck & small sand dunes, even I have done that on my Santro Xing on couple of occasions, but, there are situations where all these fail like steep inclines & many more.

Do visit the 4X4 Excursions section of the Forum where you would see few TBHPians enjoying terrain in their modded Mahindras, where M800 & Santro would be burning clutches & leaving owners hapless.
Old 14th March 2014, 17:11   #54
Team-BHP Support

So its warming up again and it seems the 4x4 version is coming out sooner than expected. News bits are buzzing!

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/r...n-india-86581/

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...get-4x4/18046/

http://www.carwale.com/news/12667-4x...his-year-.html
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 22:19   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
So its warming up again and it seems the 4x4 version is coming out sooner than expected. News bits are buzzing!
This news has been going around for a while, but as you said the buzz is getting louder. I think we need to thank Ford for this. From the reviews/videos, I see online, the 4x4 duster should be a fairly capable vehicle.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 14th March 2014 at 22:20.
Old 15th March 2014, 11:18   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This news has been going around for a while, but as you said the buzz is getting louder. I think we need to thank Ford for this. From the reviews/videos, I see online, the 4x4 duster should be a fairly capable vehicle.
Yup i have also seen couple of video's and the vehicle is quite capable. Best part is Terrano (which in my opinion is a better looking vehicle) also might come out with a 4x4 version. It will be very useful for people who love the outdoors and have to access some tougher terrains.

Old 25th April 2014, 18:11   #57
Team-BHP Support

Renault could launch the Duster 4x4 in India by the end of 2014.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 22:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

I saw a couple of more videos for Duster 4x4 and the one below was really something. Could an XUV 5OO or Storme do this?

Wouldn't the comparatively lesser weight be a real edge for Duster when compared to its competitors?

Old 26th April 2014, 22:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Could an XUV 5OO or Storme do this?

Wouldn't the comparatively lesser weight be a real edge for Duster when compared to its competitors?
The problem with XUV and STORME is that they are too heavy and its very easy to "dig" them in when the terrain turns really hostile. Also the STORME and the XUV have relatively large overhangs. On the other hand, the Duster is light, has tight overhangs, good angles of approach and departure and a decent ramp breakover angle - all the ingredients to be a good off the road.

Flashback to the Maruti Gypsy, (even the original 970cc Gypsy) of yore. What it lacked in power & torque it made up in lightness and very off-road friendly dimensions & aggregates.
Old 27th April 2014, 10:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

The video posted in reply 58 is a FWD Duster and not a 4X4 for sure. A very skillfull driver to get a 2WD out of such a situation.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks