Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2014, 21:20   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster AWD launched at Rs. 11.89 lakh (pg. 15)

The pricing is good. I hope its not some introductory offer for a limited time.

The AWD got some serious kit and when you take all that into consideration, the price does seem VFM compared to the 2WD variants. I am most excited about the independent suspension all round and the all black interiors with much better quality.

Here is the OD Mag review. It says the car has a lot of front wheel bias in AWD mode. I guess that is expected as manufacturers prefer to dial in under steer than over steer for mainstream cars on account of safety. Have registered for a TD through the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
Does it mean less turbo lag compare to 2WD ?
The reviews say the gearbox ratios are shorter than before, so the lag will be lesser.

Last edited by deetjohn : 24th September 2014 at 21:23. Reason: Fixing link.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 22:40   #242
BHPian

What will be the appox. OTR for both the variants here in delhi?
Old 24th September 2014, 23:05   #243
BHPian

Those who find the front grille a bit garish may try something like this, a wrap or spray of some sort.

Renault Duster AWD launched at Rs. 11.89 lakh (pg. 15)-byt6arucuaad_y-copy-copy.jpg

AWD package seems to be becoming a talk in the circles already since the prices came out. Still VFM considering the mechanicals on offer.
Old 25th September 2014, 00:12   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Thanks for the link!

I'm looking at a review (if its possible) which has the Duster and Storme (most preferred) tackle some off-road terrain to see which one fares better.

The few things that I could make out why/where Duster would be better -
1. Muddy/slushy terrain
2. Water wading depth (even if its 50 mm more)
3. Better approach/departure angles

However, what about crawling down at low speeds. While the Duster has a low gear can it crawl like the Storme would in 4L? Would the duster be crawling upwards better than the Storme?

Barring two points as you rightly mentioned (Road presence and seating capacity) nothing else comes to my mind also which would make Storme/Scorpio/XUV 5OO better than the Duster. But may be I'm missing something which the reviewers can bring out in the review.
With intelligent electromechanical driver aid, better torque to weight ratio, shorter gearing to compensate for the lack of low ratio, 650-700kgs lesser kerb weight to lug, better centre of gravity as its not very tall, independent suspension all around and better angles of approach-dep-ramp over I think the Duster may have a clear edge over its older/bulky cousins even while crawling. Theoretically it seems that way for sure. Its more economical and handles way better than its competition so overall it stands out as an appealing package for street and recreational mud.

BTW...offoad parts like body lift kits, differential locker and snorkel kits are already available online for Duster.

Last edited by The Wolf : 25th September 2014 at 00:19.
The Wolf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 09:41   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
On a long road tip I would never ever think of putting anybody on the rear jump seats of a Storme or Scorpio (adults or kids) however within the city if 6-7 people really wanted to go somewhere (receiving/dropping someone at the airport, to a friend's place etc.) its manageable but with Duster that would never be a possibility.
Never say never.

I have had a thin short adult who was quite happy on the mattress placed in the rear boot space (parcel tray removed) over a roadtrip of 500kms. granted that the route was excellent, via Yamuna X-way.

Its not safe, but then are all back row seats, in case of a rear-end collision.
Small kids can certainly party in that boot.

Remember the Maruti Van days?
And even now you can see many Altos packed to the brim on the road.
Old 25th September 2014, 09:49   #246
BHPian

Hi,

I was going through the Renault website to compare the new AWD Duster with its 2WD versions. I was not sure on a few things that I read and hence asking some basic questions. So far I was hell bent on going for the Storme 4x4 (was waiting to see if they launch the new variant before Diwali, else was ready to go for it as-is now as well), but now this Duster AWD looks like a compelling package to consider.

1. Central Locking: The website puts a cross (X) against the Central Locking feature for both RxL and RxZ AWD. This cannot be true, can it? This, to me, is a pretty basic feature.
2. Headlamps: The website says that the AWD has "Smoky Headlamps". What does this mean? Is there any specific advantage to having Smoky Headlamps?
3. B-Pillar: RxZ has "Black Masking on 'B' Pillar", while RxL does not have this. Not sure what this is and what the advantage would be?

Everything else about the Duster sounds superb. Looks like a package worth consideration and surely warrants a test drive before finalising. Actually this meets my need fully. The only reason I still like the Storme is for the following:
  • A part 7-seater (Good for short city rides with the "Full"family)
  • Looks and Stance. Yeah I know . But I really like the way the Storme looks on the road.
  • A better service network than Renault (?)
But now that the Duster AWD comes into the fray, I will have to consider the following as well
  • Am I really (really) going to use the Storme's 4x4 feature for its true capability? Quite unlikely! Duster's AWD should surely meet my needs of any soft off-roading that I might ever undertake
  • Duster will surely be easier to navigate in the city. And to park as well.
  • Has a host of safety features which should make it a good vehicle to own.
  • Should I expect far fewer niggles on the Duster (compared to the Storme) (?)
Thanks.

Last edited by ptushar : 25th September 2014 at 09:51. Reason: Typo. Off-roading. Not on-roading.
Old 25th September 2014, 09:56   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
1. Central Locking: The website puts a cross (X) against the Central Locking feature for both RxL and RxZ AWD. This cannot be true, can it? This, to me, is a pretty basic feature.
2. Headlamps: The website says that the AWD has "Smoky Headlamps". What does this mean? Is there any specific advantage to having Smoky Headlamps?
3. B-Pillar: RxZ has "Black Masking on 'B' Pillar", while RxL does not have this. Not sure what this is and what the advantage would be?
Point no. 1. may be central locking vs remote locking. Not sure though.
2 & 3. Features have only aesthetic advantage.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 10:41   #248
BHPian

Would the same changes trickle down to the Nissan Terrano as well? Or is it already there and I have missed it?

I quite like the simple look of the Duster as well as the more "upmarket" look of the Terrano, particularly in the grey shade. The new variants with their safety features makes this quite an all rounder!

Eagerly waiting to drive one!
Old 25th September 2014, 16:15   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I was going through the Renault website to compare the new AWD Duster with its 2WD versions. I was not sure on a few things that I read and hence asking some basic questions. So far I was hell bent on going for the Storme 4x4 (was waiting to see if they launch the new variant before Diwali, else was ready to go for it as-is now as well), but now this Duster AWD looks like a compelling package to consider.
Totally with you on this.

Quote:
1. Dont know why but the one I checked out (the RxZ variant) had the requisite feature.
2. The AWD has the surface around the lamps darkened, no real benefit but certainly a differenciator when compared to non AWD variants but Adventure 2wd
3. Its matte black stickering, can be accomplished through an after market effort for a measly sum.

Quote:
[*]Should I expect far fewer niggles on the Duster (compared to the Storme) (?)[/list]Thanks.
Sort of agree to everything stated by you but couldn't agree more to the above statement you've made considering peoples experience with TATA or Safari however improved they may seem to be today

@Motormania : Nothing better than purchasing a Dacia from Renault bro

Last edited by The Wolf : 25th September 2014 at 16:21.
Old 25th September 2014, 16:27   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]Should I expect far fewer niggles on the Duster (compared to the Storme) (?)[/list]Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Sort of agree to everything stated by you but couldn't agree more to the above statement you've made considering peoples experience with TATA or Safari however improved they may seem to be today
I am not sure about niggles but I thing after sales of Renault is no better than that of TATA. Three of my friend had horrible experiences in getting their car repaired after minor accidents. One of them even called me to tell that he should not have followed my advice on buying a Duster.
Old 25th September 2014, 16:32   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I am not sure about niggles but I thing after sales of Renault is no better than that of TATA. Three of my friend had horrible experiences in getting their car repaired after minor accidents. One of them even called me to tell that he should not have followed my advice on buying a Duster.
Oh ok! The ones that I know in Bangalore seem to be ok-ok with the Renault ASS effort. Having said that, we just cannot expect them to be anywhere close to MUL or Hyundai at this point in time. Long way to go for that.
Old 26th September 2014, 09:08   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I am not sure about niggles but I thing after sales of Renault is no better than that of TATA.
Yes. That is an excellent point to consider as well. So on this particular point, I guess the choice is as clear as between the devil and the deep sea.

Today on the way to work, I was looking out for Dusters and Stormes specifically. Looks like the Storme still get the bigger smile on my face than the seemingly-value-for-money Duster. Its a simple case of the mind proposes and the heart disposes. And I still haven't got the family views in the picture. I can sense that this is not going to be an easy buy!
Old 26th September 2014, 10:33   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. That is an excellent point to consider as well. So on this particular point, I guess the choice is as clear as between the devil and the deep sea.

Today on the way to work, I was looking out for Dusters and Stormes specifically. Looks like the Storme still get the bigger smile on my face than the seemingly-value-for-money Duster. Its a simple case of the mind proposes and the heart disposes. And I still haven't got the family views in the picture. I can sense that this is not going to be an easy buy!
In the appearance department no old school SUV lover will like a Duster over the Storme.......rare case.
The Wolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 18:50   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

If only looks were the factor for decision then Tata Xenon or Isuzu Dmax trucks would be more "macho"

Forrestor was very capable vehicle but did not get due recognistion. Yes petrol engine played its part too.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 16:03   #255
Senior - BHPian

Has any one checkout the Duster AWD ??? With a whole page ad on TOI yesterday (attached), Renault sure is trying to push this one in an attempt to stir the interest in the Duster as slowly the hype that was initially created seems to have settled down quite a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster AWD launched at Rs. 11.89 lakh (pg. 15)-20140929_083050.jpg  

The Wolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks