Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2013, 00:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

What is this some kind of joke ! 2015
This car will be launched worldwide this year and i cant understand why we need to wait till 2015 in India? This isnt some special RR Evoque or a special edition BMW M5 !!
I don't understand Toyota's strategy of not bringing in a new car into India for 3 years when every other manufacturer is trying their level best to grab a bite out of each segment in the market. Toyota still dont have a Honda City competitor nor do they have a compact SUV planned for the new segment that the Duster has created.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 01:41   #17
BHPian

I think instead of jacking up Innova's positioning to get rid of taxi image, Toyota should bring on Sienna at around 20-25 lac range and let Innova co-exist at the current price point.
Old 10th January 2013, 03:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The new 2014 Corolla might look like this:-

Very much expected to hit our shores by 2015.

SOURCE (and more spy pics) - http://www.noticiasautomotivas.com.b...eiras-imagens/
This looks like a poor PS job of shoehorning the current Camry(US one see attached image) design with some hint of the Etios Sedan onto the existing Corolla

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?-2012_toyota_camry_sedan_xle_fq_oem_2_500.jpg
Old 10th January 2013, 08:36   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Heres one of the ads for the all new corolla;

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?-image1035331574.jpg

My friends housemate in Australia has already bought one, he sent me this pic of his car ;

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?-image4291813492.jpg

Last edited by karan561 : 10th January 2013 at 08:42.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 09:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Heres one of the ads for the all new corolla;

Attachment 1036198

My friends housemate in Australia has already bought one, he sent me this pic of his car ;

Attachment 1036199
This is the hatch version though. I believe the sedan version will be slightly different as has been the case with previous generations.
Old 18th January 2013, 12:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Maybe the next Corolla will be based on the Corolla Furia concept shown below:

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...corolla/15405/

Looks pretty neat!

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?-toyotafuriacorollaconceptcaratdetroit560x42016012013_560x420.jpg

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?-toyotafuriacorollaconceptrearpic560x42016012013_560x420.jpg
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2013, 13:07   #22
BHPian

An article in ZigWheels - Toyota Furia Corolla concept would be the future corolla

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...corolla/15405/

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?-toyotafuriacorollaconceptcaratdetroit560x42016012013_560x420.jpg

Why does Toyota not launch a sedan to take on Verna, City, Vento, SX4 etc? They have targetted Dzire, Indigo category with Etios.

The price range between Etios and Innova/Corolla is so wide that they can afford to launch another Sedan.
Old 20th January 2013, 19:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post

For the last 5 years I have been pestering the local dealership to convey feedback to Toyota that there are people, like me, who would not mind paying extra for an AT model with 6 airbags. But they just do not seem to be listening. Pity!!
Exactly my point...they can sell the petrol Innova that sold ONE Unit last month but will not launch the AT that even I and two other US returned friends of mine would have purchased with their eyes closed. We all have the diesel vx now....pity how they do their research.
Old 20th January 2013, 19:22   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Exactly my point...they can sell the petrol Innova that sold ONE Unit last month but will not launch the AT that even I and two other US returned friends of mine would have purchased with their eyes closed. We all have the diesel vx now....pity how they do their research.
+1. Toyota has always been weird and strange in its ways and very hard to predict its next move. Another instance that I can remember is the diesel altis. What stopped them from launching it with a higher capacity engine. They could have probably taken a huge lead in the D segment. But after a long wait they throw at us the 1.4L engine.

Similarly when you have supposedly designed Etios twins from scratch just for the developing markets like ours than why gamble with the strange central positioning of the dials. I think most buyers were turned off by that look itself apart from the otherwise ordinary interiors.

Last edited by drmohitg : 20th January 2013 at 19:24.
Old 20th January 2013, 21:24   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Like many on this thread, am too dumbstruck by Toyota's strategy for Indian market. They have turned a blind eye towards the emerging segments here by announcing "NO new products till 2015" plan!

I still can't understand whether it's their arrogance or stupidity. The compact SUV segment has been blasting with growth, and will get crowded in another 2 year's time and Toyota probably wants to be the last entrant.

I really do NOT know why do they need 2+ years to build a brand halo around Etios? And all they plan to do is bring beige interiors & new seats while the actual problem is bigger than that.

Likewise, by planing to launch new Innova & Corolla in 2015, are they taking Indian customers for granted? They think Indian market love to wait for Toyota products by ditching other brands? They better take cues from the Etios/Liva failure that their products don't have that mass market appeal if they screw up specs & pricing.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th January 2013 at 21:26.
Old 20th January 2013, 23:15   #26
BHPian

India is probably the last place for these guys to dump all old fashioned cars like the Qualis which they first got to India. They think Indians will take all their crap if they badge it with the Toyota brand and sell here just like the Liva and Etios which they launched! Their sales are obviously down now due to their ignorance and attitude towards us. Their products are no doubt fantastic but the launch of the Etios and Liva hatchback were a total disappointment to the hatch back buyers in India as hatchbacks dominate the market for highest sales. Toyota are you listening?
Old 21st January 2013, 08:24   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Like many on this thread, am too dumbstruck by Toyota's strategy for Indian market. They have turned a blind eye towards the emerging segments here by announcing "NO new products till 2015" plan!
They have always been like this right? They still can bring in ‘New Products’ to India, in the same way they brought in the Etios

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious
They better take cues from the Etios/Liva failure that their products don't have that mass market appeal if they screw up specs & pricing.
Is the Etios actually a failure? During my recent visit to Kerala, I noticed that the roads are flooded with Etios (not so much of Liva though).
Old 21st January 2013, 10:41   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
...Is the Etios actually a failure? During my recent visit to Kerala, I noticed that the roads are flooded with Etios (not so much of Liva though).
That's a tricky question & how do you define "failure"! But the sales have been much lesser than probably the manufacturer forecast. Add to it, availability of models without any wait periods and discounts of 20,000/- on diesel variants. All these points to the sales lower than their production numbers.

Also Toyota has been focusing too much on Etios twins for the last 1 year & they say it will continue for next two years or so. Never heard of anything like this in the Toyota line up so far. We have no reason to believe the sales are as per the expectations.
swiftnfurious is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 21:41   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That's a tricky question & how do you define "failure"! But the sales have been much lesser than probably the manufacturer forecast. Add to it, availability of models without any wait periods and discounts of 20,000/- on diesel variants. All these points to the sales lower than their production numbers.

Also Toyota has been focusing too much on Etios twins for the last 1 year & they say it will continue for next two years or so. Never heard of anything like this in the Toyota line up so far. We have no reason to believe the sales are as per the expectations.
+1. How to define failure?

For example, they wanted to sell 100,000 units in a year. The Etios twins together sold 73,831 units. Now I would infer that they failed to meet the target, but is it a failure? its a difficult one to answer.

There is a lot of focus on the Etios to make it a decent seller from Toyota.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't term the Etios as a failure yet for the simple reason that a revival of the Etios is still very much possible. The dislikes that people have about Etios is mostly regarding things like poor interiors, boring exterior design, average performance and the obvious cost cutting that Toyota has done. I've not heard anything bad regarding more important things like the engine/gearbox/mechanical and electrical parts. The moment Toyota addresses these and re-launches Etios, it could be a successful model even with a slightly higher price tag.

If the issues were around reliability, there is no way a facelift could turn things around as the customers would still be cautious and doubtful if the issues were actually addressed and it would take time to prove. The fact that more and more cab drivers are opting for Etios now could become a double-edged sword for Toyota. It would help them show decent sales numbers which would prevent it from being termed a failure and prove how reliable the car is but at the same time attract the 'Taxi' image for the model - something that Logan/Verito/Indica has heavily suffered among private buyers. Toyota didn't suffer with this image in Innova's case because it came in as Qualis replacement and there were enough private buyers for Innova along with the cab segment to prevent it from being stereotyped as a taxi model. Etios could join Verito and Indica unless they get a facelift soon enough to get the private buyers interested in Etios.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks