Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2013, 14:18   #1
BHPian

2013 Maruti WagonR Facelift

The facelifted Wagon R comes with higher Fuel efficiency by 8 %. Maruti has opened bookings for the same at its dealerships.

Some key changes in the new Wagon R are as follows:

- Newly designed front Bumper.
- New grille design.
- Fog lamp bezel design.
- Chrome accentuated front grille.
- Front upper grille (Maruti claims its designed to reduce wind noise).
- Dual tone interior color scheme (Beige & black).
- Complete beige seats : Vxi. Beige and black combination : Lx, Lxi
- Eagle wings Audio with integrated USB (Vxi).

2013 Maruti WagonR Facelift-new-wagon-r-front.jpg

2013 Maruti WagonR Facelift-new-wagon-r-dash-panel.jpg

2013 Maruti WagonR Facelift-new-wagon-r-plush-interiors.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 13th January 2013 at 17:43. Reason: Adding information from the press release. Thanks!
Rice_tuner is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 14:42   #2
BHPian

re: 2013 Maruti WagonR Facelift

I don't understand how are they going to beat the competition with "subtle cosmetic updates". Moreover, their "blue eyed boy" Wagon R is not that old either.

I have always felt that these cosmetic updates by car manufacturers for the Indian market is a big hogwash to reek in more money from the consumer for nothing. Recent examples being Figo Facelift, i20 facelift etc. etc.

e.g Badging a car as a "Sportz" version by sticking it a non functional spoiler (I don't call it a spoiler anyway) is a total rip off by these manufacturers.
Old 2nd January 2013, 14:50   #3
Team-BHP Support

I think they are trying to unify the Maruti family look. That would be just to keep some interests alive.
But not sure how much would that suffice.
Old 2nd January 2013, 14:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Any mention of the 3-cylinder DDIS for this new WagonR? I hope they can get that going alongside the facelift.

Any other MSIL models going the diesel route?
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:34   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark View Post
I don't understand how are they going to beat the competition with "subtle cosmetic updates".
Actually, the WagonR is already on top of its game. Sales average for the last 3 months was a whopping 13,000 / month and it's been a consistent Top 5 performer in India! Translated, the tall boy is already "beating the competition".

Do note that cars like the WagonR appeal to the conservative folk (a majority of the car buying public in India BTW)....the same who would buy a neutral Alto over a futuristic Eon. The WagonR's appeal is in practical, no-nonsense motoring.

Quote:
I have always felt that these cosmetic updates by car manufacturers for the Indian market is a big hogwash to reek in more money from the consumer for nothing.
Sometimes, the facelift is sold at the same cost. Other times, it's at a marginal price bump.

Quote:
i20 facelift etc. etc.
We'll have to agree to disagree then. I absolutely love the facelifted i20's face. It looks very European now.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I absolutely love the facelifted i20's face. It looks very European now.
Not to forget, the neatly integrated DRL's in the foglamp assembly. Coming back to Wagon R, I think this is a good move by Maruti, I always found something weird when i used to look at the foglamp assembly area of the Wagon R; they looked very uneven. Now, its a straight cut and looks good.
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

MSIL surely seem to be following the trend of "family look". The face lift actually looks better than the current model. Somehow, the fog lamp area just did not go with the rest of the look. Now, with this change, its looking uniform.
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:02   #8
BHPian

Why is Maruti not investing time in reviving the SX4 brand? All they have to come up with, are half-cooked facelifts inspite of these cars being best-sellers.

Why not offer ABS as standard in the VXI? Or, as Equus highlighted, if we could have diesel engine offered as well. This will heat up the race in this category, in which the Beat D tops the charts. Maruti!!!!

It's not that an automaker can go into hibernation with just successful 3-4 products (Alto, Waggy, Swift and the Ertiga). Why not aim at success in all segments when, they have the requisite calibre and market value to rule the roost?

P.S. - I still prefer the existing version to this masked face lift. Will wait for more images before i vent any more frustration

Last edited by MetalBuff : 2nd January 2013 at 16:06.
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark View Post
I don't understand how are they going to beat the competition with "subtle cosmetic updates". ...
It already beats the competition. It's 4th largest selling car in monthly sales chart, after Alto, Swift & Dzire in first 3 positions (as per GTO's chart, it sold 11k+ in Nov2012).

Now-a-days every car maker is going for a 'family' look, seems Wagon R is also now on this 'family' way!
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:11   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Actually, the WagonR is already on top of its game. Sales average for the last 3 months was a whopping 13,000 / month and it's been a consistent Top 5 performer in India! Translated, the tall boy is already "beating the competition".

Do note that cars like the WagonR appeal to the conservative folk (a majority of the car buying public in India BTW)....the same who would buy a neutral Alto over a futuristic Eon. The WagonR's appeal is in practical, no-nonsense motoring.

Sometimes, the facelift is sold at the same cost. Other times, it's at a marginal price bump.
Well, I had the same thoughts running through my mind. Why does the Wagon R need a facelift when its easily doing some very good numbers consistently. Whether this facelift happens with a price hike or not needs to be seen.

The screen grab from Autocar seems more like a attention grabber thing than an actual scoop.
Old 2nd January 2013, 17:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Any mention of the 3-cylinder DDIS for this new WagonR? I hope they can get that going alongside the facelift.
Is there a 3-cylinder DDIS available? AFAIK, Maruti/Suzuki can only "manufacture" the 4-cylinder MJD engine and they cannot modify it. If Maruti wants a 3-cylinder MJD, they will have to pay Fiat or GM to get it.
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:02   #12
BHPian

This happens to be my first post. Was planning to start with an introduction but that will have to wait at least till mid January.

I was recently in the market to buy WagonR. By mid December all dealers here told that WagonR is out of stock since it is year ending. When probed further, one of them said Maruti is planning to bring in a diesel engine for the Waggy, but will not come soon (he still had a few waggys, I think). I don't know of the present situation as I dropped my plan to buy a new car now.
The question is, will they need a new platform to handle the added weight? If so, it will be an all new (really new!) wagonr, right?
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Why is Maruti not investing time in reviving the SX4 brand? All they have to come up with, are half-cooked facelifts inspite of these cars being best-sellers.
Future of C2 segment is a big question mark currently with the compact SUV/MPV launches. I guess Maruti wouldn't want to invest heavily in it till the picture is clear, especially when Ertiga is compensating for the lack of sales from SX4.

Quote:
Why not offer ABS as standard in the VXI?
They already have an Airbags+ABS option on VXi at a very reasonable cost. Making ABS standard on VXi would take up the cost by another 20k, which would give an advantage to the competition, since most customers don't really want ABS but care about power windows and silver/chrome coloured door handles etc. Currently, ABS and airbags are available at a reasonable premium unlike the Z variants of Swift/Dzire where you need to pay for a lot of other stuff if you need the safety features. I would rather like to see the ABS+Airbag option on V variant of Swift/Dzire.

Quote:
It's not that an automaker can go into hibernation with just successful 3-4 products (Alto, Waggy, Swift and the Ertiga). Why not aim at success in all segments when, they have the requisite calibre and market value to rule the roost?
4 out of the top 4 best sellers is definitely a huge achievement considering 2 of them doesn't even have a diesel option in a heavily diesel skewed market. Do they really have the production capacity to handle success in all segments? I think they have enough best sellers in their stable to operate their factories round the clock at a time when others are looking at 4-5 days a week operation or so.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:52   #14
BHPian

My sources in Maruti hinted at Wagon-R diesel.
Not sure though its the same unit as in Swift. Will try to get more details.
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
4 out of the top 4 best sellers is definitely a huge achievement considering 2 of them doesn't even have a diesel option in a heavily diesel skewed market. Do they really have the production capacity to handle success in all segments? I think they have enough best sellers in their stable to operate their factories round the clock at a time when others are looking at 4-5 days a week operation or so.
Well, in this age when every automaker is busy trying to milk the customer for profits, I would say, that feeling of being at peace with just 4 successful models is not a wise thing, IMHO. Had there been a decent Maruti alternative to the Vento/ Verna TDi, don't you think it would outsell it's peers?

The Alto, Waggy make sense to mostly first time buyers however, people are upgrading to C2 sedans. The number may be less but, Maruti can certainly turn fortunes around. They proved the same with the Ertiga (Not that, we didn't have an Innova OR Eeco OR Tavera before )

Guess, we are going OT here

Last edited by MetalBuff : 2nd January 2013 at 19:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks