Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2013, 12:03   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Is this only for India? or for a larger region? Either way, it is a very detailed and impressive line-up. Yes it doesn't have a wide range of cars to bomb the market. But it shows FIAT's approach of building the brand with a base - the Punto, Linea and the B segment SUV.

I don't own a FIAT, but I simply love the way they look, they ride and the way the handle. If the next gen Punto looks as hot as the current one, rides like the current one, and offers better performance and interiors, I am definitely a FIAT customer. Way to go FIAT
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 12:35   #182
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I don't own a FIAT, but I simply love the way they look, they ride and the way the handle. If the next gen Punto looks as hot as the current one, rides like the current one, and offers better performance and interiors, I am definitely a FIAT customer. Way to go FIAT
A very rare positive comment from a non fiat owner and thanks for that. For some inexplicable reason, people have developed a disliking to the brand.

And as far the Fiat's strategy of going solo is concerned, I have to say it's a very brave but a necessary one.
prakash_ajp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 17:56   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
A very rare positive comment from a non fiat owner and thanks for that. For some inexplicable reason, people have developed a disliking to the brand.

And as far the Fiat's strategy of going solo is concerned, I have to say it's a very brave but a necessary one.
No true car enthusiast can ignore two brands - Ford and the FIAT. Within the reaches of the common man, only these two car makers make "Soulful" cars. One has to really drive these cars before making such a comment. Agreed, FIATs would never be as efficient or as cheap as the Japanese cars that flood our market. But as a car, FIAT has a feel attached with it, you feel the passion with which FIAT has crafted its cars. That would give you a special feel each time you drive one. Looking forward to FIAT's come back
aravind.anand is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 20:05   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta
Official list of FIAT cars till 2016:

Here is the list of FIAT cars to be launched or refreshed till 2016 starting this year.
Wow this news is more of a disappointment for me, in the sense a refresh early this year and all new punto next year....damn looks like my wait for the punto is going to be much longer than I thought. :(

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th January 2013 at 01:39. Reason: Please quote posts selectively as large quoted post cause inconvenience to our Mobile readers, thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 13:33   #185
Senior - BHPian

2014 Grand Cherokee facelift revealed at detroit . To come with diesel option .
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-042014jeepgrandcherokeesrt8.jpg  

fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 15:28   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
2014 Grand Cherokee facelift revealed at detroit . To come with diesel option .
Looks the headlights sections is following the Audi trend of DRLs.

Somehow I feel its too much in the face sort of upgrade. I guess they would be getting this version here in Q3/Q4.
Old 14th January 2013, 16:48   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Official list of FIAT cars till 2016:

Here is the list of FIAT cars to be launched or refreshed till 2016 starting this year.

2013:
New Punto Refresh: Initial 2013
New Linea Refresh: Initial 2013
Linea Classic: End of 2013

2014:
Punto New Model: First half of 2014
B-Segment CUV: Second half of 2014
New Linea: Starting 2014

2015:
Special Edition of Punto: Middle of 2015
Special Edition of Linea: Middle of 2015

2016:
Refresh of 2015 Punto
Refresh of Linea Classic
Refresh of New Linea
This is disappointing. Its just the Punto and Linea and not much else (apart from a B-Segment CUV which i'll believe when I see it). They are good cars no doubt, but they have been around for ages and not sold much.
Fiat really need new models in the volume segments - under the FIAT brand - to freshen up their image and change perceptions in the mind of the public. I'm not sure just Punto & Linea facelifts can do that.
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 18:46   #188
Senior - BHPian

I had always thought that Europe's best selling hatchback, Panda, made perfect sense for India too. But recently I watched a TV program that enlightened me.

In UK, the Panda with 875cc Multiair costs about 12000£, which is about same as the cost of Panda with 1.3 MJD (but diesel cars attract less tax). With the squircle theme, a fully localised Panda cannot be sold at the price of WagonR. It would cost twice as much, exceeding the price of Punto. But due to its size, it cannot be positioned above Punto.

They could do cost-cutting by using cheaper interiors and providing outdated petrol engines like Punto, but then people will start complaining about it anyway, just like they do with Punto.
Old 14th January 2013, 19:51   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Great news for all Fiat prospects in the days to come, specially those in Tier 2 & Tier 3 cities. Fiat India has set itself a target of 100 new dealerships through 2013, out of which at least 70 will be set up by March 2013. For this they will be targetting metros and Tier-I cities first. The company has already signed agreements for top 35 cities in India and recently its first exclusive dealership in Noida was inaugurated.

For the rest 30 new dealerships, Tier-II and Tier-III cities will get first preference.

These expansion plans augur well for the car company, and one can only hope that their quality products meet their expectations in monthly sales in the days to come. Considering the tremendous buzz their forthcoming Punto Abarth variant and Jeep variants are creating, this will only add more positives to the company's fledging reputation.

Here's to hoping a year (or two) of Fiat India on the rise.

Details - http://www.rushlane.com/fiat-india-t...s-1259376.html
Old 28th January 2013, 14:30   #190
BHPian

Engine options on FIAT and JEEP Products:

FIAT:
  • Grande Punto FaceLift - 1.2 NA Petrol and 1.3 Diesel
  • B-CUV - 1.4 NA Petrol and 1.3 Diesel
  • Linea Classic - 1.4 NA Petrol and 1.3 Diesel
  • New Linea - 1.4 TurboCharged Petrol and 1.6 Diesel

JEEP:
  • B-SUV - 1.4 TurboCharged Petrol and 1.6 Diesel
  • C-SUV - 1.4 TurboCharged Petrol and 1.6 Diesel
  • Wrangler - 3.6L V6 24 Valve Petrol (285 hp of power and 260 pound-feet of torque) and 2.8 Litre Diesel (197 hp of power with 46 kgm of torque)
  • Grand Cherokee - 3.6L V6 24 Valve Petrol (210kw of power and 347Nm of torque - same as Wrangler) and 3.0 L V6 Diesel (240hp and 420 lb-ft of torque)
Please note that FIAT is mentioning their B segment UV product as B-CUV whereas JEEP is mentioning their's as B-SUV. It is being mentioned that the JEEP product (both B-SUV and C-SUV) will have proper SUV credentials and will not be "hatch-on-stiles"

Fiat's India strategy revealed-newfiatlinea1.6lmultijetengine.jpg

Source:JEEP's Wrangler and Grand Cherokee Engines and JEEP's B and C-SUV engines and FIAT and JEEP Engines
sarthakgupta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 16:08   #191
Senior - BHPian

^^ From the above pic, the pic used for the Punto Facelift (FL) is the Punto Evo . Although the exteriors of the current gen may be better, the interiors will more than make up for it.

The sad part is that Fiat is continuing the 1.2L petrol motor in today's world where we have the Ecoboost's and the TSI's. They continue with an old 2 valve per cylinder anemic engine. My seven year old Zen has a 16 valve engine !!

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 28th January 2013 at 16:10.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 16:44   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The sad part is that Fiat is continuing the 1.2L petrol motor in today's world where we have the Ecoboost's and the TSI's.
Does Fiat have any other competent small capacity engines that they can use?

The multi-air versions may not be suitable from the cost perspective for a B-segment car (we are yet to see how the Ecoboosts and TSIs will be priced in India).

The 1.4L NA petrol is also probably ruled out for cost reasons because there is no excise duty benefit on it and Fiat cannot price it competitively.

Maybe Fiat should get the 1.2L K-series engines from Suzuki!
Old 28th January 2013, 17:04   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Does Fiat have any other competent small capacity engines that they can use?

The multi-air versions may not be suitable from the cost perspective for a B-segment car (we are yet to see how the Ecoboosts and TSIs will be priced in India).

The 1.4L NA petrol is also probably ruled out for cost reasons because there is no excise duty benefit on it and Fiat cannot price it competitively.

Maybe Fiat should get the 1.2L K-series engines from Suzuki!
Exactly. They actually sell this 1.2 even in Europe ! The only other engine I can think of is the 2 cylinder Turbo - TwinAir, although it has very mixed reviews. Time they developed a 3 cylinder 1 - 1.2L TwinAir
Old 28th January 2013, 19:35   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
^^ From the above pic, the pic used for the Punto Facelift (FL) is the Punto Evo . Although the exteriors of the current gen may be better, the interiors will more than make up for it.

The sad part is that Fiat is continuing the 1.2L petrol motor in today's world where we have the Ecoboost's and the TSI's. They continue with an old 2 valve per cylinder anemic engine. My seven year old Zen has a 16 valve engine !!
Which Fiat has a 1.2 motor in India? I am just curious because to the best of my knowledge, there isn't any.
Old 28th January 2013, 19:42   #195
Senior - BHPian

http://fiat-india.com/TechSpec-punto.aspx?ModelId=6

The base petrol in the Punto is a 1.2L motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Which Fiat has a 1.2 motor in India? I am just curious because to the best of my knowledge, there isn't any.
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks