Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2021, 17:56   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ethanol blending to be made mandatory

Flex fuel vehicles must comply with BS-6 norms: govt advisory to car automobile manufacturers

Quote:
There is no need to make it mandatory as three major players - Toyota, Suzuki and Hyundai have agreed to manufacture them.
Quote:
asked them to start this production in the next six months so that vehicles can run on more than one fuel. The new vehicles will have the option to run on 100% ethanol

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th December 2021 at 18:00.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 09:15   #107
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

There is no doubt that the government is trying to promoter Ethanol to reduce its import bill and dependence on foreign crude, but it is also true that government has tried to increase ethanol blend n number of times earlier and the reality is that only sugar producing states are able to blend ethanol with petrol and same has not spread around the entire country.. So before introducing the huge steps wherein the auto manufactures are required to do a major overhaul, government should ensure enough ethanol is locally produced and the same is made available to all states.
youknowitbetter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 09:25   #108
Senior - BHPian

The environmental impact of such a shift I think can be massive. I dread to think if the farmers shift their crops to satisfy the ehtanol demand. Esp if a crop like sugarcane takes over the fertile land beyond Maharashtra and UP.

Unless of course importing ethanol is cheaper than importing crude.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 10:29   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
The environmental impact of such a shift I think can be massive. I dread to think if the farmers shift their crops to satisfy the ehtanol demand. Esp if a crop like sugarcane takes over the fertile land beyond Maharashtra and UP.

Unless of course importing ethanol is cheaper than importing crude.
With a continuing green revolution, we in India have been producing more food grain than is required. The government is interested in utilizing this excess production capacity to bring down the oil import bill. It has a double advantage.
First, as mentioned above, the oil import bill reduces, which is a direct money saver and
Second, the MSP guarantee the government has to give to farmers is lessened, as the production of grain is shifted to the cash crops for ethanol production.
Third, an ancillary benefit to the farmer is that by shifting to a cash crop which can actually have a captive component of demand, the farmer earns more than what the MSP of food grain would get him, with reduced hassle of searching for buyers before going to the government for MSP.
Old 27th December 2021, 15:30   #110

Where I live, Indian oil has been providing petrol with 10% ethanol in it. I did get problems in my 2006 alto due to that.
Old 15th January 2022, 09:04   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Challenges to the Auto industry in the journey to flex fuel implementation:

E20 fuel (petrol blended with 20% ethanol) program will come into force from 2025 as notified last year. And it poses a lot of challenges to the Auto industry.

Quote:
Varying degrees of engineering intervention would be required in the fuel, electrical, and exhaust systems, and most importantly in the engine. Components like the piston, cylinder block, cylinder head, injectors, fuel rail, to name a few, will have to undergo changes.
The corrosive nature of ethanol poses a major challenge to engineers. Technology changes and material re-engineering will have a cost implication for for Flex fuel vehicles.

It’s estimated that the additional cost impact could be up to INR 25,000 for cars
and INR 12,000 for two-wheelers, compared to regular petrol vehicles.

Quote:
While some of the work can be relatively easier for OEMs in India which also have a presence in Brazil, the largest Flex fuel car market, not everything may work with a plug-and-play approach during the Flex fuel vehicle technology development stage here.
Quote:
So far nobody has BSVI Flex fuel. Brazil is currently running at BSIV level of Fuel . It will be moving towards BSV in 2022 and more stringent, maybe in 2025
Quote:
While the Government wants the industry to move to E20, followed by Flex fuels, it will also have to make provisions for the E0 and E10 vehicles in the car parc.
For the existing vehicle parc, the fuel hoses and all may get eroded
Quote:
an option to address the potential problem could be “doing parallel dispensing of the E10 from 2025 for some more years, say up to 2030 or something similar
Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 16:10   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Additional Excise Duty Of ₹ 2 Proposed On Unblended Fuel.

In a bid to promote the usage of blended fuel, the budget presented has intoduced an additional excise duty of ₹ 2 on Unblended Fuel from October 2022.

Quote:
To dissuade the use of unblended fuel, an additional excise duty of ₹ 2 will be levied on it starting from October 2022.
Quote:
Blended fuels are a mix of Petrol or Diesel with liquids like Ethanol, and the result is lesser emissions.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 16:23   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

In a bid to promote the usage of blended fuel, the budget presented has intoduced an additional excise duty of ₹ 2 on Unblended Fuel from October 2022.
There go all notions of blending leading to any cost benefit to users. The consumer is going to be penalised for using normal petrol. The consumer is going to be penalised for using blended petrol as just about every vehicle on the road is not E20 compatible. It is lose lose.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st February 2022 at 16:50. Reason: One "o" removed to make it read as what it was intended to :-). Thanks.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 17:11   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I dread to think if the farmers shift their crops to satisfy the ehtanol demand. Esp if a crop like sugarcane takes over the fertile land beyond Maharashtra and UP..
What makes you think it has not already spread ? Go out to the rural areas where water is available, and soil suitable - everyone is growing sugar cane. And at the moment, only for sugar factories. Once blending is more established, it will only grow further.
Old 1st February 2022, 18:29   #115
BHPian

I thought the petrol they are selling is already E10. Is this not true?
Old 1st February 2022, 18:44   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What makes you think it has not already spread ? Go out to the rural areas where water is available, and soil suitable - everyone is growing sugar cane. And at the moment, only for sugar factories. Once blending is more established, it will only grow further.

There are many small jaggery(gur in Hindi) producers also who produce the ethanol in and around Mandya, south west of Bangalore. Sugar cane is grown abundantly here.

I feel using it for fuel will actually affect the alcohol industry and hit the micro breweries from what little I know.
Old 1st February 2022, 18:59   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
I feel using it for fuel will actually affect the alcohol industry and hit the micro breweries from what little I know.
The cultivation is far more wide-spread than that. In south KA, Mandya region is a sugar belt. Areas around Bangalore, or Malnad dont. North KA again, well cutlivated.

There is a larger silent push that India is doing in coordination with some other major sugarcane cultivating countries to develop the ethanol industry for use in fuels, and other applications. Fuel itself will get dearer, and this blending is part of actions to offset that.

btw, not recent an article: target by 2030 is 20% ethanol in petrol and 5% for diesel.
https://www.republicworld.com/india-...0than%200.1%25.

Last edited by condor : 1st February 2022 at 19:02.
Old 1st February 2022, 19:26   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Personally see the ₹2 additional excise duty as a positive - I don’t pay extra for fuel with additives but would gladly pay ₹2 or 3 extra for petrol without being adulterated with ethanol. Hope enough people think like I do so that there is adequate supply of pure petrol.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 19:49   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Personally see the ₹2 additional excise duty as a positive - I don’t pay extra for fuel with additives but would gladly pay ₹2 or 3 extra for petrol without being adulterated with ethanol. Hope enough people think like I do so that there is adequate supply of pure petrol.
Seems I am in the lucky part of India then...

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...0100996_1.html

Consumers in parts of eastern states with negligible fuel blending infrastructure are going to be impacted by the Rs 2 per litre additional excise duty.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 21:12   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Link
So owning a car in the country is going to be even more costly huh ? Here's a solution to government - own all of our vehicles and we'll put in a request whenever we would want to go on a drive like subscription service I don't understand why the hell there's a tax on unblended fuel ? If I use blended fuel in my car and it affects my engine, then who's going to pay for the repair costs ? Will there be subsidy for this scenario ? Just another brainless decision which does nothing for the common man. Don't come at me with environmental benefits shenanigans that these blended fuels are going to provide, I don't care and they do more harm than good. I just want to enjoy my car fussfree, I'm already paying the government too much.
Akshay6988 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks