Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 15:05   #391
BHPian

Re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Cannot do that either. An instrument cluster change has to be done via VW central server farm as the SKC (Secret Key Code) for the cluster and ECU is stored in the cloud and not shared with the dealership or parts vendor. ONLY an authorized service tech can install a new cluster while the car is connected to the VW server, and a cluster swap is recorded into the server. Same cluster if reinstalled on the same car will raise flags to VW management.

Basically what your stating cannot be done anymore in most modern cars. In 1999 maybe, in 2013 not without leaving a mile long audit trail and lots of explaining to do.
You are right. I did that to my 2000 TT, which had immobilizer II. This immobilizer only needed the key and ecu to be matched and not the instrument cluster. Thanks for the information
Old 19th September 2013, 16:32   #392
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Wait is over. Here is my own..
I will still have to wait for a day or two for getting number. But considering some inauspicious period coming, I took formal delivery, but kept car with dealer. I will pickup it after registration formality is over.
Many congratulations Radek. That was quick!

Like you've said, the Shradh period has begun starting today lasting until October 4th. I will have to wait until I take the delivery of my ride as well. Will look up if 5th (Saturday) or 6th is a good day and shall take the delivery accordingly.

This is going to be an excruciating wait! I am sourcing all the accessories by then. Some of them have arrived already.
Old 19th September 2013, 16:44   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I am sourcing all the accessories by then. Some of them have arrived already.
What accessories are you planning? Right now I am going for only mud flaps and mats.
Old 19th September 2013, 17:01   #394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What accessories are you planning? Right now I am going for only mud flaps and mats.
Nothing major really. Just the usual bits.

- Floormats (the basic rubber based mats for a month until I switch to those 3M Nomad types; we have a good DIY guide on the forums),
- Mudflaps (generic),
- Front arm-rest (plenty of those universal arm-rests retailing at eBay for 1000 INR),
- Belkin USB car charger (retails for 200 INR; cheap and provides a DC output of 5V at 1A),
- Silicone cover for the smartkey fob (retails for less than 300 INR over at eBay; protects the smartkey buttons from color fading and helps protect it during those drops),
- Ambipur Car Mini Clip (this is a newer addition unlike the bottled ones; small, cute and retails for 200 bucks; insanely awesome collection of fragrances - check it out!),
- A Ganesha idol for the dash.
- A Sandisk Cruzer Fit 8 GB pendrive (I bought this and realised I had a spare Sandisk Extreme 4 GB SD card lying in my drawer desk! Became an unwarranted purchase thus.)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th September 2013 at 17:04.
Old 19th September 2013, 21:09   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wait is over. Here is my own..
Congrats radek.

Once you have the car, could you please confirm if it does have Hill hold as confirmed by prithwi?
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 22:08   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Nothing major really. Just the usual bits.

- Floormats (the basic rubber based mats for a month until I switch to those 3M Nomad types; we have a good DIY guide on the forums),
- Mudflaps (generic),

- A Sandisk Cruzer Fit 8 GB pendrive (I bought this and realised I had a spare Sandisk Extreme 4 GB SD card lying in my drawer desk! Became an unwarranted purchase thus.)
Quote:
Hey Guys first of all congrats on the ride. A plan to get my hands on one of these is in the pipeline. Lets see how it turns out. In between, are you guys planning to upgrade tyres to 195/55 R15 or 205/50 R15 ? My logic says that there will not be any issues with the car or its warranty even if one upgrade the profile of the tyre. But the showroom guys may differ from us. What do you guys think of it ?
Cheers.
Old 19th September 2013, 22:13   #397
BHPian

Tire width is not an issue unless you go bat shit insane and put on 245's that rub your wheel wells. Overall the wheel+tire size should be as close to OEM (+/-1.5% is best, +/-2% is OK) and you will have no issues with warranty. Go above (+/-2.5%) variance and your looking at more brake issues than you can handle, including brake failure, ABS pump failure etc etc..
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 23:33   #398
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Hey Guys first of all congrats on the ride. A plan to get my hands on one of these is in the pipeline. Lets see how it turns out. In between, are you guys planning to upgrade tyres to 195/55 R15 or 205/50 R15 ? My logic says that there will not be any issues with the car or its warranty even if one upgrade the profile of the tyre. But the showroom guys may differ from us. What do you guys think of it ?
Cheers.
Not immediately but I do plan to replace the rubbers to Yokos/Michelins (some say the stock Aceleres are decent but a few reviews and GTO had mentioned it in the official review that those are noisy), get a custom remap done from Pete's and get those Bilstein B6 shocks once I've shifted back to Palakkad (maybe a year or two from now; unsure as on today).

I really do not want to do anything with the car fearing the loss of warranty. As such, I have come across some dreaded stories with VW's customer service and the price paid by the customer. So I'll just let it be for a year.

Can anyone confirm if changing the tyres does indeed void the warranty of the car?
Old 20th September 2013, 12:30   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
are you guys planning to upgrade tyres to 195/55 R15 or 205/50 R15 ? My logic says that there will not be any issues with the car or its warranty even if one upgrade the profile of the tyre. But the showroom guys may differ from us. What do you guys think of it ?
Cheers.
I want to, but not sure whether I will be able to upgrade the tyres immediately. I have put all my available money into buying this car.

Years back I upgraded my Spark's tyres from Apollo Accelere to Continental CEC after 40,000 KM. The result was amazing. It was like driving new car. So this is something I very much want to do, but has to be wait for some time.
Old 20th September 2013, 15:55   #400
BHPian

Dont think its safe to put a 205 on the OEM rims..
Old 20th September 2013, 21:33   #401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Dont think its safe to put a 205 on the OEM rims..
I think the Polo/Vento come with 5.5j rims. 205s are fine on the stock rims. Have seen enough of Polo/Ventos running those tyres without an issue. Rims thinner than 5.5j would be unsuitable for 205s.
Old 21st September 2013, 17:14   #402
BHPian

I got an opportunity to test drive Polo GT TDI today.

VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched-polo-gt.jpg

The rally special baby TSI grabs everyone’s attention.

VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched-polotsi.jpg

During the very short test drive, below are some of the things that I did notice as a Diesel VENTO owner.

Soft Clutch - yes, clutch is noticeably smooth compare to Vento and less vibration on clutch pedal than Vento.

Less noisy engine – I felt the engine noise noticeably less compared to Vento. Good job VW!

Powerful peppy rev happy engine – I felt almost like driving my Vento in city! Nearly no visible turbo lag and the power delivery is awfully addictive like any other TDI engines. However, I did not really LIKE IT because I drive a tune-o-tronics remapped Vento, which pumps out 132 BHP/320NM torque…. I do not want the same feeling in a stock polo please! . I bet, Sid (Tune-O-Tronics) can do wonder if he get this car for a remap.

Suspension – suspension is slightly stiffer compared to Vento.

Brakes – brakes are just ample enough for a regular driver, but certainly need a superior one for an enthusiast!

Horn – Strictly requires an upgrade!

To summaries, this car will never disappoint an enthusiast in you. The on-road price is 9.95Lacs in Bangalore and the waiting period is 2 months as per Elite Motors. There are no offers running for GT TDI.

With a customized remap + all four disc brakes + a superior bilstein suspension.....oh boy, you are totally in a different league!

LOTHAR
Mighty_Lothar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 17:55   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Does the Gt TDI come with discs on all four corners? If not how difficult is it to upgrade?
Old 21st September 2013, 18:22   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Does the Gt TDI come with discs on all four corners? If not how difficult is it to upgrade?
No it does not. Probably you may have to get it touch with Pete's team. I read that one of their Project car (Vento) has rear disc brake fitted.

http://www.petes.in/vwproject.html

http://www.petes.in/images/vento.pdf

LOTHAR
Old 21st September 2013, 18:58   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Apparently the Octavia petrol rear brake disc assembly is a simple swap however I'm not sure if the ESP sensors (if present) might create a problem. My 1.6 doesn't have ESP.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks