Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 20:23   #46
BHPian

Re: Honda may postpone launch of new Civic, discontinue Accord in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
prices in PKR and pic of the Pak market Civic, recently launched in that market.
This looks like the 2011 model Civic here in the US, at least from profile. They have a newer model out for 2013 now. Are they bringing in delayed generations to the subcontinent?
Old 27th February 2013, 22:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumobom4 View Post
This looks like the 2011 model Civic here in the US, at least from profile. They have a newer model out for 2013 now. Are they bringing in delayed generations to the subcontinent?
Yes, India will be getting the 2012 version of the 9th gen Civic only, and not the post face lifted 2013 version. This is because, the JDM version is still the original one which didn't go through the facelift.
Old 27th February 2013, 22:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post

Yes, India will be getting the 2012 version of the 9th gen Civic only, and not the post face lifted 2013 version. This is because, the JDM version is still the original one which didn't go through the facelift.
I dont think the civic is returning to india. There are plenty of interviews of honda officials that suggest thatt. We may now have to wait for the next gen civic that will launch worldwide in 2015.
Old 27th February 2013, 22:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I dont think the civic is returning to india. There are plenty of interviews of honda officials that suggest thatt. We may now have to wait for the next gen civic that will launch worldwide in 2015.
Maybe, and lets hope that this is not true

The reason for believing that the 9th Gen will indeed come is the fact that Civic is a CKD. It doesn't require that much of an investment for Honda India to have it running here.
And 2015 is too early for the 10th gen. Going by Honda standard, another generation will not be in the market before 2017.

Also, please do post, if possible, any such reliable source which quotes a Honda official saying so. Apart from some sites reporting such rumors, haven't seen any confirmed reports on this.

Last edited by sarathlal : 27th February 2013 at 23:01.
Old 23rd December 2013, 07:53   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda officially phases out the Accord from India. Now Accord and Civic will not be sold in India.The company, however, would maintain focus on the premium SUV market, where its sells CR-V in the price range of Rs 20.59 lakh to Rs 24.67 lakh.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/27763863.cms
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 10:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda officially phases out the Accord from India. Now Accord and Civic will not be sold in India.The company, however, would maintain focus on the premium SUV market, where its sells CR-V in the price range of Rs 20.59 lakh to Rs 24.67 lakh.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/27763863.cms
Well its a pity that we won't get to buy Honda's truly global models, The Accord and the Civic! They don't have a diesel engine to fit the two and i guess thats one of the main reasons. The current 1.5 diesel with added VGT could do duty on the Civic though but the Civic is now going to enter its 4th year of production worldwide and i guess its too late for Honda to bring this generation to India now.
Old 23rd December 2013, 10:50   #52
BHPian

The Japs are pruning. Clearly they want to shed the excess baggage and concentrate on what is getting them the numbers. The question that needs to be asked is how much more profitable was it to sell a civic and accord as compared to an Amaze or a city. The Civic and the new top end City anyways caters to a similar buyer but the Accord was a flagship product. I believe Honda needs at the least one true flagship product that is valued worldwide. I do not think Diesel engine alone is a factor. With the price corrections in Diesel expected to regularize by May 14 Petrol engines will make a comeback. Honda surely has foresight , so it couldn't be just the engines. Its the numbers. They want to concentrate on the low margin big numbers segments especially when they still make good margins in that segment with their brand value.
Old 23rd December 2013, 11:32   #53
BHPian

This is indeed a news that can further re-shape the market dynamics of the cars belonging to this particular segment. If we go by the volumes, I am sure that Toyota Camry is also not behind accord. I have hardly seen new Camry's on the roads recently.
Petrol or diesel engine may be one concern, but now we have many options in that price bracket. A person who is ready to spend this kind of an amount on these cars will not mind paying few extra bucks to own starting range of luxury German cars, which are perceived as status symbol. Bank loans have made things more easier now.
Old 23rd December 2013, 12:42   #54
BHPian

So, everyone's favourite depreciation disaster is dead. Ah well, with the Civic gone, I guess the writing was on the wall.

I did love the Accord, for the fact that it lost pretty much half its value over the first 3 years of its life, but it still was a reliable, comfortable, and reasonable to maintain luxo-barge. Made for a great pre-owned buy.

One question though - if you own a City right now, and you want to upgrade (but not as far as the CR-V), has Honda handed your business to the competition?
Ponkermania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 14:22   #55
BANNED

Very sad news indeed. Have been toying with the idea of buying a used Accord V6 just for the heck of owning a V6. Imagine a V6 which is Japanese and hence relatively more reliable. Alas, that chance goes out the window. I mean the prices of used Accords will carsh further, but whent it is time for me to sell and move on, I won't get a buyer.
Old 23rd December 2013, 15:36   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponkermania View Post
So, everyone's favourite depreciation disaster is dead. Ah well, with the Civic gone, I guess the writing was on the wall.

I did love the Accord, for the fact that it lost pretty much half its value over the first 3 years of its life, but it still was a reliable, comfortable, and reasonable to maintain luxo-barge. Made for a great pre-owned buy.

One question though - if you own a City right now, and you want to upgrade (but not as far as the CR-V), has Honda handed your business to the competition?
Very apt point. Civic and Accord are indeed aspirational products for many, specially those who want to splurge on a better vehicle without having to pay through the roof maintaining it.

With bullet proof reliability and above average service, it would make immense sense to buy a pre owned Civic around the 7L price point. Sadly this will no longer be an option now :(
Old 23rd December 2013, 15:46   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Very apt point. Civic and Accord are indeed aspirational products for many, specially those who want to splurge on a better vehicle without having to pay through the roof maintaining it.

With bullet proof reliability and above average service, it would make immense sense to buy a pre owned Civic around the 7L price point. Sadly this will no longer be an option now :(
Plenty of good, pre-owned Civics and Accords around at the moment, with price points going from 3 lakhs to 15 lakhs, depending upon the age and condition. Importantly, with these two, your major expense will be the purchase price, unlike some other luxury cars, where the purchase price is just a few drops in the ocean, compared to the cost of maintaining it.

However, if you meant that this won't be the case a few years from now, when all the Civics and Accords will no longer be in a desirable state, then yes, I agree with you.

Moral of the story - Get 'em while you can!
Old 23rd December 2013, 17:39   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponkermania View Post
However, if you meant that this won't be the case a few years from now, when all the Civics and Accords will no longer be in a desirable state, then yes, I agree with you.

Moral of the story - Get 'em while you can!
Like pgsagar mentioned, they will be a depreciation disaster couple of years down the line. So picking one wouldn't be very advisable even now IMO.

Funny how things change. Honda positioned itself as a premium brand initially, with City lowest down the ladder so they could take a shot at the below 10L bracket. And now, all action for them is happening below 10L, since the CRV can be effectively ignored for now. For better or worse, Honda surely has been the only brand that has bounced back after it seemed to have bitten the dust
Old 23rd December 2013, 17:50   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Like pgsagar mentioned, they will be a depreciation disaster couple of years down the line. So picking one wouldn't be very advisable even now IMO.

Funny how things change. Honda positioned itself as a premium brand initially, with City lowest down the ladder so they could take a shot at the below 10L bracket. And now, all action for them is happening below 10L, since the CRV can be effectively ignored for now. For better or worse, Honda surely has been the only brand that has bounced back after it seemed to have bitten the dust
As far as I understand it, the depreciation is maximum in the first 3 years, then moderate in the following 2 years, and then the least thereafter. That said, those two will probably depreciate more than their competition for similarly aged examples, but then again, you don't want to buy something too old, because then they may not be so reliable when they're 9-10 years old.

About Honda bouncing back - I'm not so sure. I think they've woken up to the realities of diesel in our market far too late, and have brought in their first diesel engine in India just when diesel is going to be deregulated.

That said, I have absolutely zero faith in this government, especially in an election year, and I don't think they will actually deregulate the price of diesel. But if they do, Honda may have invested all that money in a new diesel engine for nothing, and their bounce back may be short lived.
Ponkermania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 18:17   #60
Senior - BHPian

Current generation Accord looked fantastic and was aspirational for me. Luxury sedan (below the 3 Germans) with excellent reliability & above average A.S.S. What was not to like. I had plans to buy a pre-owned one down the line but now that's out of the window.

So what choice do I have if I want to upgrade from my City? (No Skoda/German/French car for me)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks