Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2014, 01:07   #46
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Fortuner to get 2.5 D-4D in India

TBHP members are not the target Innova customer. The target Innova customer wants mileage, space and comfort all for a reasonable price.

Not power. Not VGT and not 142 bhp.

Don't forget, at the end of the day, the Innova is a van.
Screwdriva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 11:26   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
The rumours are getting triggered again. Toyota considering getting the 2.5L Fortuner to India.

Link: Toyota to Launch Fortuner With 2.5 Liter Engine This Year
I don't think its rumor. On last Sunday's Autocar show, Hormaz has shared confirmed news about Toyota launching 2.5 Ltr base variant and 3.0 ltr automatic 4x4 variant.
Old 27th September 2014, 14:37   #48
Team-BHP Support

The Toyota Fortuner with a 2.5-litre diesel engine is likely to be launched in the first week of October.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 21:23   #49
BHPian

Well the 2.5 at lower price is nice but what about errr.. SAFETY.
At 25+ lakhs (on-road) us Indians have to make do with only two airbags and ABS,EBD,BA and traction control(only on 4x4 MT),whereas elsewhere people get way more safety kit across the range and much more engine choices(I do understand engine choices are influenced by the market and the "kitna deti hai?" mentality of the majority of Indians limit the engine choices).
And the "TRD" variant is a bit of a joke. People pay about 60k extra thinking that they are getting something special here while Toyota is laughing all the way to the bank because what the customer gets is a tacky aftermarket looking body kit + a few tit-bits and that’s about it.
Even the 4-speed auto wasn’t upgraded to a 5-speed unit until the rexton came along.
All that being said I in no way am saying that the Fortuner is a bad car or(my family owns a Fortuner A/T and love it to bits) that Toyota is a cheat,I just wish that they treated us a bit better give us all the safety kit etc.
Old 27th September 2014, 22:37   #50
Team-BHP Support

Just drove my boss's Fortuner after a long time. I just hope they fix the suspension. It is so bouncy and unsettled. So much movement in the cabin over uneven roads. I thought the Ecosport had a stiff ride but the Fortuner is ridiculously uncomfortable. I got irritated within 10minutes of driving it. The ride is just not befitting a 30L vehicle.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 23:22   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just drove my boss's Fortuner after a long time. I just hope they fix the suspension. It is so bouncy and unsettled. So much movement in the cabin over uneven roads. I thought the Ecosport had a stiff ride but the Fortuner is ridiculously uncomfortable. I got irritated within 10minutes of driving it. The ride is just not befitting a 30L vehicle.
I had TDed a Fortuner 3 weeks back and when I came to park the car outside the dealership, there were some stiff mud tracks formed due to rain & trucks moving thru the slush. I could NOT believe the way it bounced thru it. And in that 20 seconds, I recollected someone saying, you get a 70% Fortuner for 50% of the price in "Storme". It's so bl**dy true. Except for the T badge, there is nothing going for Fortuner for that price. I was also disappointed with the noise levels in the cabin for such an expensive car.

My B-I-L was in Toyota dealership (in Oman) and told me once that, 'never take it even if someone gifts it'. In Oman, this is a budget SUV (among the big ones) and people who can NOT afford anything else buys it. We wait for 6 months wholeheartedly for this "premium" car here in India! Heck, I would even oversee some of Storme's niggles for it's price than buying a Fortuner.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th September 2014 at 23:25.
swiftnfurious is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 09:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

It would be really nice if they plonk the 2.5L, 142 bhp engine into Innova with that 6-speed automatic. That car really needs a better engine and an automatic transmission.
Old 29th September 2014, 11:38   #53
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Rather than giving the fortuner a smaller engine Toyota need to either up the power of the 2.5 Ltd one in the Innova or give it the 3.0 in a lower state of tune. 2.5 ltr engine in the Fortuner will not find many takers as it will not make the vehicle that much more cheaper and it is anyways not a rear passenger vehicle.
Old 3rd October 2014, 03:47   #54
BHPian

Personally, it made no sense to me to introduce Fortuner in 4x2 version. The SUV is bouncy and the ride is not balanced specially on twisty uneven roads. Like hills, or in case its raining. The rear end has too much torque, for regular sedan drivers, who are unnecessarily upgrading to Fortuner 4x2, specially the AT version.
As a matter of fact, the ride and handling of Fortuner 4x2 is amongst the worst of all SUV's in India.

I think it is good decision to supply lower powered engine in 4x2 versions. It will give better mileage to its target audience. The psuedos. People who never use Fortuner offroad. And not even care what a 4x4 is. Probably, just for the style and to look macho. A friend who just bought an TFort AT was actually complaining of low mileage of 10 kmpl. And he actually over inflates the tires to get extra mileage.

So, may be, low profile tires and lower GC also, for 4x2 version. Something in range of 180-190 mm.

Also, it may make Fortuner bit more balanced. In fact, they should give same gear ratios as Innova, so that engine is always running at higher rpm than current 3 ltr engine. The super fluidity in top gear, in current 4x2 models, is making the Fortuner very bouncy at highway speeds. In 80 - 120 kmph speed band.

I think the new 2.5 ltr, is the same engine that powers Innova. With different ecu map and an inter-cooler (which is missing in Innova).

The better news is that customers will have option to buy Fortuner in 4x4 with AT. And of course with current 3 ltr engine.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 3rd October 2014 at 04:15.
Old 3rd October 2014, 08:40   #55
Team-BHP Support

A 4X2 Fortuner with a smaller 2.5L engine is really pointless imo. Basically, a practical Fortuner and on other aspects, the fortuner is far from practical. Also, prices will easily be 25L on road.

The Innova should get this bumped up 2.5L 142BHP engine and a 5 speed AT. It will be a natural choice. There will always be appeal for the Fortuner. Why not broaden the Innova's appeal with the bump in power and 5 speed AT.
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:00   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Innova should get this bumped up 2.5L 142BHP engine and a 5 speed AT. It will be a natural choice. There will always be appeal for the Fortuner. Why not broaden the Innova's appeal with the bump in power and 5 speed AT.
But Vid what about the pricing of such a variant? Innova top end variant is already close to 18L OTR ( might be more in Bangalore infact). A better tuned engine with an AT box is probably going to take that price upwards of 20L OTR, knowing how Toyota prices its products. How many customers will be willing to put there money on that? Afterall at the end of the day, the image factor also comes in. Most SUVs in our market sell due to there perceived higher image. A person spending 20L + for a Van having the most popular Taxi tag might not work out.

Last edited by drmohitg : 3rd October 2014 at 09:02.
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:19   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But Vid what about the pricing of such a variant? A person spending 20L + for a Van having the most popular Taxi tag might not work out.
Pricing will ofcourse be 20+. No doubt.

The Innova does have a taxi image but you still see people buying that as their second or 3rd car in the family. People buy an Innova for the practicality it offers and not for the image. That's why you see people who have BMW's (lol, that's you ), also have an Innova in their garage.
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:22   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But Vid what about the pricing of such a variant? Innova top end variant is already close to 18L OTR ( might be more in Bangalore infact). A better tuned engine with an AT box is probably going to take that price upwards of 20L OTR, knowing how Toyota prices its products. How many customers will be willing to put there money on that? Afterall at the end of the day, the image factor also comes in. Most SUVs in our market sell due to there perceived higher image. A person spending 20L + for a Van having the most popular Taxi tag might not work out.
They have one ready customer in me who would buy the variant with the autobox even if it came for 20 lacs. Simply because the next car with such a configuration (7 seats + AT) is atleast 10 lacs more! I wanted to buy a used Fortuner and almost finalised one but my family was dead against the vehicle for space / comfort constraints and hence we bought the Innova which they are pretty happy with. Frankly taxi tag doesn't irk you so much once you have bought the car.

Sorry if this is going off topic!
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:29   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Innova does have a taxi image but you still see people buying that as their second or 3rd car in the family. People buy an Innova for the practicality it offers and not for the image. That's why you see people who have BMW's (lol, that's you ), also have an Innova in their garage.
The word practicality is important here. The purpose of buying the Innova is purely to juggle people and there luggage around in comfort. It was never marketed as a driver's car or fun to drive car. It is just a van that is has great low end torque to climb most roads and keep its occupants in relative comfort. Hence why would Toyota bump up the engine for those very very few/handful of people who want a more enriching experience on the driver's seat too. Yes an AT is very much needed in this car. But I have always felt they should rather offer it with the G variant so that the car still costs within the same range as the top end V variant.
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:31   #60
BHPian

Quote:

Innova offers immense practicality and though I bought a Fortuner 4*4 in 2013 I still can't let go the innova for the superior space and ride quality that it provides. I bought the innova for 8.5 L on road in 2005 and fortuner for 25L still other than on my 2 ladakh trips (Fortuner did it better) I still don't find innova lacking in any way. It's only on the Yamuna Express way that innova feels underpowered. Both these engines have negligible turbo lag that make them great for double digit speeds.

Regarding the new Fortuner any confirmation regarding the timeline of launching4*4 AT? I wanted this model and had booked an AT finally deciding for 4*4 now that the best of both worlds is here I might give my son my car and get the 4*4 AT. Am simply in love with the reliability and ease of ownership of these Toyotas and in no way related to the company.
ToyotaFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks