Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 21:21   #16
BHPian

re: Sunfilms: Mangalore car owners to file review petition. EDIT : Petition DISMISSED

Quote:
This was actually a practice of the British judges in pre-independence India
I think this practice suited them more. One should see the court room proceedings to believe. I happen to accompany my close friend the other day. It was surprising to see what occured. During cross examination, the power went OFF and resumed in about 2 minutes. Suddenly, the judge asked the guy being examined when he can return ? i came to know later that the computers in the court room take a very long time to reboot, say an hour or so , if the power trips and resumes. Such is the state of affairs. No wonder suits get dragged for so long.
Old 15th June 2012, 14:46   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Sunfilms: Mangalore car owners to file review petition. EDIT : Petition DISMISSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post
What's more surprising is the silence of Sun film manufacturers and sellers.
It's the rainy season anyway. The SunFilm manufacturers are waiting for everyone to remove sunfilm from their cars. Then, they'll file a review petition.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 20:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's the rainy season anyway. The SunFilm manufacturers are waiting for everyone to remove sunfilm from their cars. Then, they'll file a review petition.
That's true. But I believe a review petition should be filed within 3 months from the date of the court order.
suv100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 01:10   #19
BHPian

Good or Bad, Why cant we move on with this? I am not sure why people are making it a big deal. I believe its just because people are used to sun films.

I see most people here talk about Heat, Humidity etc. You will have to remember that Singapore/Malaysia is hot, humid country as well. But you cant find cars with Sun film.
Dubai is hot and humid as well, You cannot find cars with sun film.
USA - though the temperature differs, there is no sun film there as well.

Even if one sexual crime gets prevented because of this, Supreme court can consider that they have a job done.

This is my take. No offence to anyone.
Old 16th June 2012, 08:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
USA - though the temperature differs, there is no sun film there as well..

Sorry! But there are many cars with Sun Film here. Believe me, it gets very hot here. The temperatures are extreme on both the ends. Even 90*F can feel a lot hotter that what we experience as 100*F in India.

And why is that we suddenly need to follow the leads of other country in this area alone. I for one will be very happy, if the government can implement a proper lane system where one lane is for one vehicle and not for one car/bus/bike/auto + an auto/bike/car/bus.

The reasons given for the ban are somewhat childish and I feel it was a hasty decision which was taken without considering all the parties involved.

If only we had shown this urgency in other areas of Justice system, we wouldn't be paying crores on protecting convicted criminals who are on the death roll.

Sorry if I am off topic.
SchumiFan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 11:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Sorry! But there are many cars with Sun Film here. Believe me, it gets very hot here. The temperatures are extreme on both the ends. Even 90*F can feel a lot hotter that what we experience as 100*F in India.
Seems i wrong here in some cases . Again there is no one auto law in US. Each state has its own.

Quote:
And why is that we suddenly need to follow the leads of other country in this area alone. I for one will be very happy, if the government can implement a proper lane system where one lane is for one vehicle and not for one car/bus/bike/auto + an auto/bike/car/bus.
Just Government cant do anything by themselves. We people will have to participate. Lane discipline week was followed in some places in Bangalore And i don't have to say what happened this week. Moreover, do we have place here in India to built such a lane system. China's case is different, because they are communist. They can vacate a entire city overnight.

Quote:
The reasons given for the ban are somewhat childish and I feel it was a hasty decision which was taken without considering all the parties involved.
If only we had shown this urgency in other areas of Justice system, we wouldn't be paying crores on protecting convicted criminals who are on the death roll.
Sorry if I am off topic.
At times, i feel we should follow Communism
Old 16th June 2012, 18:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Good or Bad, Why cant we move on with this? I am not sure why people are making it a big deal. I believe its just because people are used to sun films.

I see most people here talk about Heat, Humidity etc. You will have to remember that Singapore/Malaysia is hot, humid country as well. But you cant find cars with Sun film.

Even if one sexual crime gets prevented because of this, Supreme court can consider that they have a job done.

This is my take. No offence to anyone.
Dubai cars don't have sun films? You are very mistaken my friend.
Old 16th June 2012, 18:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
How did you arrive at this conclusion?

I am in California and I can see most vehicles have sun films. In fact several cars have really dark sun films. Sun films are allowed on all glasses except on driver and front passenger window.

Have you seen any limo in US without sun films?

You also made a point about Dubai. What is cost of petrol in UAE and India?
Considering the main argument against this ban is about increased fuel consumption due to higher requirement of AC.

Last edited by bharatbs : 16th June 2012 at 18:51.
Old 16th June 2012, 19:06   #24
BHPian

The Car Owners and Consumers Association is now on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/477564388924657/
Old 16th June 2012, 20:05   #25
BHPian

This is a great initiative.

Is it possible for us to help COCA make a stronger case by estimating the additional cost the economy/oil companies/and ultimately the public will need to pay, due to increased fuel consumption – due to sun film ban.

I am not an expert on these stats, but I am sure these numbers can be estimated.

Two days back there was a newspaper article that quoted petroleum minister Jaipal Reddy “Higher crude oil price was responsible for the pulling down the country’s GDP growth to 6.9 % last year from about 8%.”

Our Oil import bill is went up by 40% in FY 12 to $ 140 billion (Rs. 770,000 crore), and the fact that under recoveries from diesel, LPG, and Kerosene are estimated at Rs. 457 crore per day for the first fortnight of June '12.

I am sure some automobile expert can estimate the increased fuel consumption resulting from sun film. Even if this is 2% or 3% (as compliance levels are low today)… it will have a direct impact on demand for petrol and diesel, driving up the import costs….

Sorry for the rant…..
Old 16th June 2012, 22:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajith-s View Post
Is it possible for us to help COCA make a stronger case by estimating the additional cost the economy/oil companies/and ultimately the public will need to pay, due to increased fuel consumption – due to sun film ban.
I am not too sure about that. My car has returned an average of 13 kmpl for the months of May / June so far, which is mariginally more that before. For April it stoo at 12.88 kmpl.

Rajan

Edit: I removed Sun Film on 5th May 2012
Old 16th June 2012, 22:07   #27
BHPian

Glad to see at least some people are acting like citizens rather than subjects. Kudos to Mangalore car owners, I don't know or care about what will be the verdict of the court but at least somebody is trying.

-Ijeet
Old 16th June 2012, 22:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

I am in California and I can see most vehicles have sun films. In fact several cars have really dark sun films. Sun films are allowed on all glasses except on driver and front passenger window.

Have you seen any limo in US without sun films?

You also made a point about Dubai. What is cost of petrol in UAE and India?
Considering the main argument against this ban is about increased fuel consumption due to higher requirement of AC.
Yeah, I was wrong. But rule differs in different states. In some states, front window tinting is No-No.
Old 17th June 2012, 09:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On what basis and how did you arrive at this ? Here you go , shot in the US.

Sunfilms: Mangalore car owners to file review petition. EDIT : Petition DISMISSED-dsc_5992-large.jpg

Sunfilms: Mangalore car owners to file review petition. EDIT : Petition DISMISSED-dsc_5993-large.jpg

One from Dubai

Sunfilms: Mangalore car owners to file review petition. EDIT : Petition DISMISSED-2615800555_0684329c9a.jpg

edit
bala missed your previous post. However for the benefit of other readers here.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 17th June 2012 at 09:21.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 21:22   #30
BHPian

Sun Film ban - Review petition filed?

Since the SC banned use of Sunfilms, I have been following the topic and discussions quite diligently. I have read in some of the threads that a review petition has been filed by Garware. I have read news articles saying review petitions will be filed. I have read the news about Mangalore car association (COCA) intent to file the review petition once court is back from vacation. At some places I even read the review date is set for 9th July. However, I can not find any credible source confirming the filing of a petition, let alone the hearing.
Hence creating this thread so that members can share information on legal proceedings, if any. The impact of the judgement has been discussed in another thread for 180 pages. So please keep this one for keeping track of legal proceedings.
Anyone has any information on this topic?

Mods: I intended to post this question in the SC verdict thread but that has been closed. If there is another suitable thread, please merge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks