Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2012, 21:31   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Talking about spirit of law, we have to understand that the intent of original law was to make sure that driver has enough transparency to operate vehicle in safe manner and not what the petitioner asked for.
Even some one mentioned here or in a similar thread that keeping the windscreen/side glasses dusty is illegal because it affects the view.
Old 13th July 2012, 21:44   #107
Senior - BHPian

As I said earlier curtains are in. saw this Omni with the red curtain and interestingly some focus lights to display the curtain at night.
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-curtain.jpg
Sorry for the poor quality due to mobcam.

Last edited by rajeev k : 13th July 2012 at 21:49.
Old 7th August 2012, 12:22   #108
Senior - BHPian

Three-in-one

See this alternate; he has left some portion without film so that legally he is safe.
Another aspect was that he switched on the left turn indicator and went straight. Also see his right wheel track. Three-in-one.
The emblem resembled a lawyer from a distance but is of a doc.
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-three-one.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th August 2012 at 12:23.
Old 7th August 2012, 19:40   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Three-in-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
See this alternate; he has left some portion without film so that legally he is safe.
Another aspect was that he switched on the left turn indicator and went straight. Also see his right wheel track. Three-in-one.
The emblem resembled a lawyer from a distance but is of a doc.
I still think this is illegal because as per the rule no film can be pasted on the windscreen/windows. So, here he still has the sun film on the windscreen.

I also saw a Indica in bangalore in which similar method was applied on all the windows and back windscreen. Sunfilm was removed only from the middle portion of the windscreen/windows so that people from outside can see who is inside.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 20:55   #110

On my previous car(2010 Wagon-r) I actually got RTO Approved films(at least that's what the dealer mentioned- which allow 70% on front and back and 50% on the side-windows) installed at the time of delivery and before permanent registration. My registration was butter-smooth and was never stopped by any cops. The only reason being its really not noticeable from outside

For those who want privacy and beat the heat there isn't much choice, but for those who want protection from UV rays, these lighter films should help
Old 27th August 2012, 09:26   #111
BHPian

Hi all

According to the law any material that does not allow visibility is illeagal. This means that if I put a 0% sunfilm just for heat protection it should not be illeagal.... is my understanding correct or am I interpreting it the wrong way
Old 27th August 2012, 11:29   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Hi all

According to the law any material that does not allow visibility is illeagal. This means that if I put a 0% sunfilm just for heat protection it should not be illeagal.... is my understanding correct or am I interpreting it the wrong way
That is wrong. There should be only OEM glass that comes with the car. Nothing can be applied on the glass. The condition of the glass cannot be altered either.
Old 10th September 2012, 22:46   #113
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Dear Bangy T-BHPians...

I had removed my 3M sun-films and have installed removable roll-on type of sun-films on my Fiesta. Though they do not look smart and do not cover the glasses fully, they atleast do a decent job in keeping the cabin cool.

But, my Endeavour still has 3M reflective Sun-films stuck on its glasses. The traffic cops in Chennai do not mind such light reflective films and more importantly do not bother an Endeavour. Hence, i have been driving the Endeavour without removing these films.

But, I might have to drive down to Bangalore in October and i wish to do that in the Endeavour.

Need your opinion here:
How is the situation in Bangalore?
Are the cops still stopping & fining the cars with sun-films?
Or should i chuck the idea and drive my Fiesta to Bangalore?

Last edited by MAS : 10th September 2012 at 22:52.
Old 26th September 2012, 14:38   #114

Hi MAS,

Well, it purely depends on your luck .
Yes, I mean it because most of my colleagues still have their vehicles with SunFilms on it. They use the cars daily to work too in the peak Bangalore traffic areas. 2 of them were stopped by cops earlier. 1 of them was let off with just a warning and the other 1 had to shell out 100 Rs fine. In both the cases, it was Swift cars.
However, I have promptly removed the sunFilms off both my cars (Scorpio and Honda City).

As I mentioned earlier, its luck on that day that matters I feel. If you come by Endeavour it would be a lot better for you as a drive too. And there is only 10% chances that you would be stopped by a cop. But, if its a TN registration then I feel it would be 30% chances of being stopped.

Have fun.

cheers!
Old 26th September 2012, 15:11   #115
BHPian

There is a economy front windshield film introduced by vkool, I bought it for about 7.5 for Safari. This film is surely effective in terms of heat reduction, and is completely transparent. I believe same film can be used for side and rear windows. Difficult to spot from out side. But yes, its a costly option.
throttleking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 15:22   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
There is a economy front windshield film introduced by vkool, I bought it for about 7.5 for Safari. This film is surely effective in terms of heat reduction, and is completely transparent. I believe same film can be used for side and rear windows. Difficult to spot from out side. But yes, its a costly option.
well.. it will become even costlier when the police stops the vehicle and asks to remove .
If we already have that in our vehicle, then it does not make sense to remove it by ourselves. But, surely one will be scared to put a new one now.
Old 26th September 2012, 16:57   #117
BHPian

Nowadays I conk my AC to 'Low' setting and direct the vents to the side windows (that is less than 18 degrees) and in a matter of minutes, the windows are fogged. The angle of the vents is important as you would want to see the side view mirrors. Privacy assured.

Last edited by SedatedDrive : 26th September 2012 at 16:58.
SedatedDrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 20:16   #118
BHPian

Most of the new cars these days have powerful air-conditioners, so why worry about doing something illegal and trying to find ways around the law?
My previous car was a 2002 Zen which did require tints as the ac wasn't that good, but i haven't installed any tints on my new Figo as the ac is really good!
I agree that privacy is a concern however this law is for everyone's benefit as anti-social elements tend to take undue benefit of extra-dark tints!
Old 26th September 2012, 21:24   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive
Nowadays I conk my AC to 'Low' setting and direct the vents to the side windows (that is less than 18 degrees) and in a matter of minutes, the windows are fogged. The angle of the vents is important as you would want to see the side view mirrors. Privacy assured.
Yup! Really a useful tactic even I am doing the same in most of my cars. Just move the vents a bit and its done.
Old 28th September 2012, 07:03   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive
Seems to be a good tactic, but I'm not sure if fogging would occur during daytime, specially these days of blistering October heat in Mumbai!
Any other alternatives?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks