Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2012, 18:20   #76
BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Gogi, I have the same Garware on my Figo. The ones I have are called Garware Icecool Shield meant for the front glass. They are extremely light and have a slight green tinge to them. But the spec sheet clearly mentions 70% VLT. Also, the Garware distributor for South India confirmed these are the lightest tints they manufacture and nothing lighter than this is available. They cost similar to what you mention as well.

3M has CR-70 which are also equally light without the green tinge but that too is 70% VLT. These are not noticeable at all.
The best alternative would be to use 3M CR90. One of my friends in the US had this fitted on his car, and it was extremely difficult to see if there was any film on the glass at all. I only realized his windows had a film on when I saw the 3M logo up close from inside.

I don't see this in the Indian 3M website, but that should change soon, given the situation. For people who want the practical benefits of sunfilm, import a roll of CR90. I am planning to do that soon, though I haven't removed my CR70/50 combo from my car yet.

Crystalline Automotive Films - Clear automotive window film for cars, trucks - Crystalline - 3M US
Old 10th June 2012, 19:22   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hmm then you may have a point. My other car has a 3M which was slightly more expensive but by the looks of it, st least from my perspective it was almost clear. It also read 99.9% clear so i thought they meant it. But these things when put are absolutely not noticeable, as tints. Lets see what happens and better sense prevails on such law makers.
I think the clear film would be CR90 which is not available in India. Lightest is 70%VLT when I checked at 3M car care.

Can you share where you got the 99% visibility film?
Old 10th June 2012, 22:21   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brar View Post
I was thinking of tinting the glasses in my car with a glass tinting spray. If any cop stops me, I can claim that these glasses are factory fitted. Can such a thing be pulled off?

Found one such spray online : softys.ca: VHT Smoke Window Tint Spray
Do you have more info on this product?? As to the percentage of heat, UV it cuts out and how much darker it will be from a regular glass?? Anyone used/ using something similar??
Old 11th June 2012, 16:19   #79
BHPian

guys, a quick question - I did peeled off the films, and I am left with sticky residue on the glass. What is the best, quick and easy way to get rid of the left over glue or whatever it is there ?
MASS suggested the following -
1. Colin and cloth - time and labor intensive work.

2. Rubbing paper - zero number, can be bought from any hardware shop.
Old 11th June 2012, 17:49   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
guys, a quick question - I did peeled off the films, and I am left with sticky residue on the glass. What is the best, quick and easy way to get rid of the left over glue or whatever it is there ?

I hope Sun films are stick with water, here is a DIY guidance in team-bhp that says so, and the best way to remove film. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...at-not-do.html.

But in your case, I guess you have did it some other way, so I suggest trying diesel. Diesel is mostly used for such tasks, try dipping a cotton cloth in Diesel and rub over the residue, it must come off.
Old 11th June 2012, 18:27   #81
BHPian

will chennai cops spare 50% side and rear, no film upfront ? they haven't said a word till now

Driving with an awesome pair of sunglasses just doesn't seem sufficient looking at the heat !
Old 11th June 2012, 18:46   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post

Get a paper cutter blade from a stationary shop, comes in 2 sizes, get the bigger one. Get a bottle of thinner and mix with water in 1:1 ratio. Use the Colin bottle to spray this liquid so that it does not form drops which will flow down the glass. Spray in a small area and leave it to get soaked for 30 seconds, and use the blade to scrap off the gum. Be careful on the edges because the blade is very sharp, you could cut the rubber beading. This method also will take some labor but is less intensive than option 1. Worked well for me.
Old 11th June 2012, 19:20   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen_rider View Post
I only realized his windows had a film on when I saw the 3M logo up close from inside.
This is the Hercules heel of 3M sun films, their embedded logo. That is a clean clue that the police can catch. In some cars i have seen a very large 3m logo.
Old 11th June 2012, 19:25   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
This is the Hercules heel of 3M sun films, their embedded logo.
The last time I checked it was Achilles' heel
xydon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 12:15   #85
Senior - BHPian

Who said curtains are not allowed? Here is the proof that they are allowed. I found it today morning. And SC's verdict does not say anything about any special rights to police vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-12062012656001.jpg  

Last edited by rohanjf : 12th June 2012 at 12:41.
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 14:51   #86
BHPian

ha! ha! this is hilarous especially in light of all the interviews being given by the traffic police authorities in Bangalore on how curtains are not allowed.
Old 12th June 2012, 15:02   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
The last time I checked it was Achilles' heel
I got the Roman god mixed with the Greek warrior. Thanks for pointing it out.

This photograph of the Police vehicle is just one in several cases where Government vehicles escape the wrath of law. B.t.w. I have not yet sighted an incident where a motorist was being fined for the sun films.
Old 12th June 2012, 15:10   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Who said curtains are not allowed? Here is the proof that they are allowed. I found it today morning. And SC's verdict does not say anything about any special rights to police vehicles.
Why dont you post it in Bangalore Traffic Police, Facebook page. Commissioner in interview clearly mentioned no curtains, though RTO said ok. Atleast thats what quoted in todays TOI.
Old 12th June 2012, 15:22   #89
BHPian

^^ I already did. No response from BTP yet.

Rajan
Old 13th June 2012, 08:48   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Hi ,

Is there anyway that this photo of the police interceptor be posted on the BTP website ? Why are these rules bent or different for the cops ? Are these people more EQUAL than the ordinary folks ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks