Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2017, 15:09   #661
BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Back in 2012 this was one of the most senseless decisions by the apex court to remove sun/black films from all cars as if the hub of criminals/crime is inside cars!
To adhere to the law or in other words to avoid being harassed on the road, I promptly removed them from all the side windows. However I left it intact on the rear windshield till the day I sold my previous car.
Sun shades are good alternative I think, as obviously they are easily removable for us and the cops.
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 17:18   #662
A M
BHPian

The apex court should reconsider their decision. I get sunburns very easily and nowadays I am getting sunburnt while driving. I wish some sense prevails and the court reconsiders its decision to allow at-least the transparent sun-films.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 18:19   #663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Back in 2012 this was one of the most senseless decisions by the apex court to remove sun/black films from all cars as if the hub of criminals/crime is inside cars!
Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
The apex court should reconsider their decision.
I am surprised that it has never been challenged or reviewed.
Old 21st April 2017, 08:21   #664
Senior - BHPian

It isn't easy to launch a logical challenge. The law already allows manufacturers to have glass that cuts 30%/50% light on front-rear/sides. Assuming that has been fully utilised, there is no case for any film; even a transparent one will cut some light and bring the light cut to below the allowed limit.

And if some make has say only 20% cut in front, only 90% clear film will allow the net result to be above 70%. Implementation will be an impossible subject to deal with, given all the possible combinations, in a country where implementation always fails when rules and laws are complex. Instead SC has made things simple to implement; all credit to it for that.

That citizens still won't implement, and cops still won't consistently enforce is a social problem that the SC cannot tackle.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 09:17   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post

Link for easy access of the product - http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...-Maruti+Ertiga
I received the parcel day before yesterday. It was packed and labelled properly stating "Fragile" and "Handle with care".

The stitching and the product also looked good.

Once, I started fitting from the rear i.e third row glass; the first thing i noticed was they were not cut to the size of the glass. Could not even click a picture of it as it was smaller in size and could not retain itself on the window.

Coming to middle row large glasses, it was again a pain to align the curtains as per the shape of the glass and because it was not cut well; the curtain could not retain itself on to the glass.

The front ones were okay and were saving me from the hot sun but the magnetic power was very low. When you open the door; it fell off the glass.

Very disappointed and I have registered for a return of the product back to Amazon.

Will try to find something better from the market rather than buying it online to get a better feel before buying the same.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 14:47   #666

What are the options for 2006 Alto Lxi car? My parents are senior citizens, both around 70 years. It was very hard for them to drive during the peak Summer months of March/April/May. They don't want to drive sedan cars under heavy traffic conditions (have to rely on a driver). Hence, Alto to them is the best choice for the city conditions.

Well, is there any transparent film available in India which cuts good amount of light and heat? Any suggestions is highly appreciated, thank you
Old 15th June 2017, 15:21   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
I received the parcel day before yesterday. It was packed and labelled properly stating "Fragile" and "Handle with care".

The stitching and the product also looked good.

Once, I started fitting from the rear i.e third row glass; the first thing i noticed was they were not cut to the size of the glass. Could not even click a picture of it as it was smaller in size and could not retain itself on the window.

Coming to middle row large glasses, it was again a pain to align the curtains as per the shape of the glass and because it was not cut well; the curtain could not retain itself on to the glass.

The front ones were okay and were saving me from the hot sun but the magnetic power was very low. When you open the door; it fell off the glass.

Very disappointed and I have registered for a return of the product back to Amazon.

Will try to find something better from the market rather than buying it online to get a better feel before buying the same.

Cheers,
Amey
I've been using similar ones for a while now - first on my Xcent (which I gave away with the car to the new owner) and now on my current Duster. The fit of the Xcent kit was better, IMO. The Duster one doesn't sit flush especially in the first row of windows is what I have found. The rear ones and the small ones for the last two cut-outs fit fine. Not sure if these shades are legal, although I have not been stopped by cops so far (touch wood)! In terms of effectiveness, these are quite effective - cools down the car quite impressively. The drawback is that for the driver, he/she would have to manually unzip the net each time he/she wants to reach out his/her hand - for instance collecting tolls or in parking lots. The rear ones don't open once the door is closed - might be a disadvantage to some.
Old 15th June 2017, 15:57   #668
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone found magnetic sun shades for the new generation Fortuner? I have checked on the Speedwav and Autofurnish website but they don't have it yet
Old 15th June 2017, 23:10   #669
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Has anyone found magnetic sun shades for the new generation Fortuner? I have checked on the Speedwav and Autofurnish website but they don't have it yet
Film or curtains of any type are not allowed. That is not the problem.

If you somehow do manage to get good shades then it still will not work as per your expectation.

Most cars come with 70% VLT (the part that manages to enter the car) from the factory. So if you apply one more layer on top of it say, 50% tint then your VLT for the combination becomes 70/2 = 35%.

The inside of the car will be very dark even in bright sunlight. Unless you live in a rural area, you will find it inconvenient to drive in the city, hiding from the cops and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I am surprised that it has never been challenged or reviewed.
If team-bhp is willing to go to court and fight for our rights, I will be happy to contribute some folding cash for GTO's petrol.

Last edited by bblost : 15th June 2017 at 23:29. Reason: Back 2 Back posts.
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 23:46   #670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Has anyone found magnetic sun shades for the new generation Fortuner?
Sahil even if you do find it, I suggest not to use them. The magnetic piece is inside a fabric (normally). This rubs against the painted metal and with time damages the paint of the door frame.

If you still want to try:
http://www.carplus.in/toyota/fortune...tuner-6pc-5222

http://www.carplus.in/toyota/fortune...tuner-4pc-5191

http://www.carplus.in/toyota/fortune...tuner-1pc-5239
Old 16th June 2017, 07:01   #671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sahil even if you do find it, I suggest not to use them. The magnetic piece is inside a fabric (normally). This rubs against the painted metal and with time damages the paint of the door frame.
May be the bad quality sharp magnets you may have got?

I am using these shades for more than 3 years now and have no scratches - Doors or the Body. Evident whenever I wipe the inside of the doors.

I only faced one issue where on one of the shades the magnet had almost come out of the clothing and I had to push it back in.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 07:32   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
Most cars come with 70% VLT (the part that manages to enter the car) from the factory. So if you apply one more layer on top of it say, 50% tint then your VLT for the combination becomes 70/2 = 35%.
If team-bhp is willing to go to court and fight for our rights
Even with the most clear film, VLT is only 90%; in the above example, VLT will then be 90% of 70%: 63%. For the front glass, is that even safe? And film like VKOOL 70, that many apply in front as well, is effectively 49% VLT.
What will be your argument in court, given the above situation that you seem to be aware of?
Why not instead buy cars that have as effective glass as the law allows with respect to heat and UV rejection?
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 19:58   #673
BHPian

Looks like many car owners (new and old) nowadays have decided to ignore the ban and gone ahead and put sunfilms in their cars. I see a lot of recently registered cars with these.
And looks like I am not the only one who's observing. Just got a call from a colleague saying that the police + RTO + Press are out in force stopping the culprits and getting back to the old ways of ripping out sunfilms from the culprits. I am sure if this gets the attention of other Traffic Police will start on a crackdown in their jurisdictions too

Location: Ahmedabad - Vaishodevi circle, Opp Nirma University

It will make for a good news item in the evening news, but no one seems to be addressing the 500 pound gorilla in the room. Has this directive been effective in curbing the menace it set out to control ? I dont think so. In the process it has ended up inconveniencing a lot more people and making drives miserable
GJ01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 07:35   #674
BHPian

Posting an article which vindicates the need for protection from the sun. I really wish the Supreme Court stopped overreaching and overreacting, particularly in areas where they may not be capable of taking a well informed decision.

Here's the link http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMicm1104059
Agarwaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 15:35   #675
BHPian

We live in a country where we cannot expect the cops to be able to check the VLT of every vehicle on the road. I don't think we have the budget that will be required to equip the cops to be able to check all the vehicles on the road. This used to lead to arguments between Traffic Cops and Drivers about the VLT of the sun films that were being used. Hence, the directive of the Supreme Court that all films need to be taken off makes sense. Had they said that any film with XYZ VLT is okay, it would have again led to arguments with neither party being able to prove anything.

I also agree that due to the weather that we have, we need some sort of heat rejection in the vehicles. While the supreme court has said that it is okay to have dark glass to a certain extent, I believe that they should also make it mandatory for the manufacturers to at least present it as an option for all cars (after allowing for the time that it would take for these to be manufactured). Another option will be to ask the driver to carry some kind of a meter that can check the VLT and can be presented to the cop if questioned. Of course, the government will need to come up with some approved manufacturers for these meters but may just be an option that can be viable.

I keep going back to Skoda asking them for darker glass but they have not done anything in this regard. As a law abiding citizen, I have no option to go back to - which in itself is unfair.
Ravi_chd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks