Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2016, 14:25   #556
Team-BHP Support

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I'm most probably going in for minimum 50% tint. I've had enough of the heat going to 42 in Mumbai. Whenever I see cops I'll just roll down all windows. My route to work and back usually doesn't have too many cops and I'll be doing quite a few few outstation trips this summer.

Will it be a good idea to go with the clear tint on the windshield and slightly lesser than the windows on the rear glass? Also, which is the best clear tint?
I have this chap who installs Llumar film for me at home. I've put the 60% tint on the sides and rear, and 70% on the front. It's pretty much clear and none of my vehicles have got stopped. And man what a difference it makes in the heat. I'd suggest you stick to this combo, since there is no point in worrying when you see cops.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 14:39   #557
BHPian

Hi Friends. Do check the Autopearl Zipper Magnetic Sun Shade. It is available on Amazon. One can use them on the highways and as you enter city you can just detach it from the window. SC has banned even use of any other material alongwith the black films. Now any other material means even curtains etc etc.

What the Supreme Court ruling says-

Have a look at the following extract from the said Supreme Court order (para 17):
“… On the plain reading of the Rule, it is clear that car must have safety glass having VLT at the time of manufacturing 70 per cent for windscreen and 50 per cent for side windows. It should be so maintained in that condition thereafter. In other words, the Rule not impliedly, but specifically, prohibits alteration of such VLT by any means subsequent to its manufacturing. How and what will be a “safety glass” has been explained in Explanation to Rule 100. The Explanation while defining ‘laminated safety glass’ makes it clear that two or more pieces of glass held together by an intervening layers of plastic materials so that the glass is held together in the event of impact. The Rule and the explanation do not contemplate or give any leeway to the manufacturer or user of the vehicle to, in any manner, tamper with the VLT. The Rule and the IS only specify the VLT of the glass itself.”

Then, in para 18 of the said order, it is clarified that:
“… Thus, on the plain reading of the Rule and the IS standards, use of black films of any density is impermissible.”

Also, look at the following observations by the Supreme Court (para 23):
“…In light of the above discussion, we have no hesitation in holding that use of black films or any other material upon safety glass, windscreen and side windows is impermissible. In terms of Rule 100(2), 70 per cent and 50 per cent VLT standard are relatable to the manufacture of the safety glasses for the windshields (front and rear) and the side windows respectively. Use of films or any other material upon the windscreen or the side windows is impermissible in law. It is the VLT of the safety glass without any additional material being pasted upon the safety glasses which must conform with manufacture specifications.”
Finally, in para 27 of the said order, the Supreme Court gave the following directions:
“For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country. … The directions contained in this judgment shall become operative and enforceable with effect from 4th May, 2012.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now one thing that comes to my mind is that if a person is using product like Autopearl Zipper or anything similar to that while his car is parked anywhere, there should not be any problem for using it. When the car is in motion at that time using AC will cut down the heat and wont make life uneasy while driving.

Last edited by kabir3551 : 29th March 2016 at 14:40.
kabir3551 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 14:59   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I have this chap who installs Llumar film for me at home. I've put the 60% tint on the sides and rear, and 70% on the front. It's pretty much clear and none of my vehicles have got stopped. And man what a difference it makes in the heat. I'd suggest you stick to this combo, since there is no point in worrying when you see cops.
Thanks Akshay. Could you pm me this guys number?

Also, how well do these tints last? Any bubbles over time? I'm surprised that you've gone for a darker tint in the front though. Doesn't it hamper vision, especially at night?

Last edited by straight6 : 29th March 2016 at 15:04.
Old 29th March 2016, 15:17   #559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Thanks Akshay. Could you pm me this guys number?

Also, how well do these tints last? Any bubbles over time? I'm surprised that you've gone for a darker tint in the front though. Doesn't it hamper vision, especially at night?
Well its been a couple of years, no bubbles as yet. I think you misunderstood, I was talking about the visibility% and not the tint%. Should have been clearer.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 10:03   #560
BHPian

Hi all,
Am planning to buy this mesh type curtain from US (via friend) for front and the auto roll up type for rear. Both are attached with 3m tape and the curtain moves on two rails attached with 3m tape on top and bottom of the window frame.
The question is, are they legal? Or, its better to buy auto roll up for the front too? The problem with auto roll up on front is, windows roll down completely and we have to attach it everytime when we raise.
I enquired the seller about visibility of the curtain and he said its visible from inside since it is mesh type. Also it can be moved to whatever position you want, so it wont block the ORVM's. Please advice.

The curtains for front:
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-imageuploadedbyteambhp1459571358.684823.jpg
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-imageuploadedbyteambhp1459571407.255568.jpg
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-imageuploadedbyteambhp1459571432.552284.jpg

Auto roll ups for rear:
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-imageuploadedbyteambhp1459571473.342432.jpg
sid93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 11:38   #561
Senior - BHPian

This morning while going to work I saw a guy selling the roll up "dark tints" on the signal. They were 250 each for a window. Has anyone tried these yet? They seem to be a better idea than the mesh ones.

My only concern is that the suction type stuff generally doesn't stay on too long.
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:29   #562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid93 View Post
I enquired the seller about visibility of the curtain and he said its visible from inside since it is mesh type. Also it can be moved to whatever position you want, so it wont block the ORVM's. Please advice.
OK... so my advice is that that kind of curtain, like a house-window curtain, is an absolute no-no for the front windows. When tied back, as in the photo, it is coming in the exact spot where you need peripheral vision.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 11:32   #563
Senior - BHPian

Folks

I plan to use dark sun film only for the rear window in my Santro Xing. Is this legal. If so, are there any benefits by going for dark film only for the rear window.
Old 15th April 2016, 14:04   #564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I plan to use dark sun film only for the rear window in my Santro Xing. Is this legal.
I don't think that any sun film is legal on any car glass.

Quote:
If so, are there any benefits by going for dark film only for the rear window.
You won't be able to see the guy who is going to rear-end you when you brake sharply. Or, possibly, much at all through your rear-view mirror. Especially at night, this could be a major safety issue, so I would say, don't do it!

Should you choose to break the law (I couldn't possibly comment on that aspect ) then go for something light that will keep the heat out without affecting your all-round vision. Bear in mind too that, if police are going to check, then they will start with the visibly easy to spot.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 15th April 2016 at 14:07.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 15:42   #565
BHPian

With this year's scorching summer, what are Team-BHPians doing to beat the heat?

My Volkswagen Polo's sun-film was violently extricated by the Bangalore Traffic Police a few years ago and ever since then I have been driving without sun-film. Even though I have heard that they are now allowing sun-film that is up to 35% dark, I am reluctant to go down that route.

I recently bought this -> Commanders Club--Premium Quality Magnetic Sun Shades Car Curtain with ZIPPER For - Renault Duster - Set of 6 Pcs. After it was delivered, I realized that it was neither a branded product nor was it premium in any way. The product actually said "Commender's Club", the fit wasn't good as it was slightly large, magnets were too few which meant it dropped off, the ones for the quarter glass didn't have any magnets and there wasn't much of cooling either. I returned the product to Amazon today.

So I am back to square one and I am wondering what to do.
Old 20th April 2016, 16:54   #566
Distinguished - BHPian

Whilst this has nothing to do with glass, it has everything to do with heat.

Can one fill/insulate the roof cavity? As my Polo's roof liner is some sort of semi hard material, I would think it is not too difficult to access it and fill it.

I think that the car's sound insulation is fairly good anyway (the horn sounds very loud when the window is open!) but filling that cavity might improve that aspect too.

I also have some deja vu here... I might have asked this before and forgotten!
Old 20th April 2016, 17:10   #567
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
After it was delivered, I realized that it was neither a branded product nor was it premium in any way. The product actually said "Commender's Club", the fit wasn't good as it was slightly large, magnets were too few which meant it dropped off, the ones for the quarter glass didn't have any magnets and there wasn't much of cooling either. I returned the product to Amazon today.

So I am back to square one and I am wondering what to do.
Very sad to hear that buddy. Have you spoken to Ishkaran about it? I say this because I bought my Scorpio's screens from him, and was rather impressed with the product. Got another set for my New Figo too. For my last car (Polo) I got the screens from a local shop, but none of them had that zipper in front, that helps me immensely at toll booths.

I noticed that the pores in the product are rather large, and hence they don't work as well as the mesh-type screens we get at every junction in Mumbai. However, they just look absolutely ungainly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Can one fill/insulate the roof cavity? As my Polo's roof liner is some sort of semi hard material, I would think it is not too difficult to access it and fill it.

I think that the car's sound insulation is fairly good anyway (the horn sounds very loud when the window is open!) but filling that cavity might improve that aspect too.
If you manage to do it and report back, it'll be a stellar job. Infact for my New Figo, I wanted to do the same. The roof line can be removed easily once we get rid of the plastic brackets on the A and C pillars; but once they are filled in, the installers were not very sure of fitting them back appropriately. It just seemed a lot of work and not worth the risk of rippled-ceiling.
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 17:59   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I have heard that they are now allowing sun-film that is up to 35% dark, I am reluctant to go down that route.
Not enforcing the existing rule for whatever reason isn't the same as allowing sun film. More important though is what happens if the car is in an accident you can't run away from. Potential problems include insurance company refusal to settle claims including those from third parties on a car that is found to have film installed. I am pretty sure that policy terms will have some words that will support such a stance.
Old 21st April 2016, 20:46   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Very sad to hear that buddy. Have you spoken to Ishkaran about it? I say this because I bought my Scorpio's screens from him, and was rather impressed with the product. Got another set for my New Figo too. For my last car (Polo) I got the screens from a local shop, but none of them had that zipper in front, that helps me immensely at toll booths.

I noticed that the pores in the product are rather large, and hence they don't work as well as the mesh-type screens we get at every junction in Mumbai.
I did speak to Ishkaran but having seen the product, I thought the problems with fit, finish and functionality cannot be resolved simply through negotiation. The product I bought costs a lot more than what competitors are selling for on Amazon (many sell with similar zippers out front) and I simply could not reconcile the quality with the price I paid.

Pores are large and I didn't think they put up an effective sun barrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Not enforcing the existing rule for whatever reason isn't the same as allowing sun film. More important though is what happens if the car is in an accident you can't run away from. Potential problems include insurance company refusal to settle claims including those from third parties on a car that is found to have film installed. I am pretty sure that policy terms will have some words that will support such a stance.
Haven't heard yet of any insurance company refusing to settle claims due to sun-film.

As mentioned earlier, I am reluctant to apply sun-film only because I do not want the Bangalore Traffic Police to remove it during their next drive and make a mess of my windows.
Old 21st April 2016, 21:52   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I also have some deja vu here... I might have asked this before and forgotten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
If you manage to do it and report back, it'll be a stellar job. Infact for my New Figo, I wanted to do the same. The roof line can be removed easily once we get rid of the plastic brackets on the A and C pillars; but once they are filled in, the installers were not very sure of fitting them back appropriately. It just seemed a lot of work and not worth the risk of rippled-ceiling.

Um, guys, before you rip the roof liners off, just hear me out.
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-imageuploadedbyteambhp1461255725.909980.jpg
The reason a car parked in the sun gets hot is because of the 'greenhouse effect'. And all the light enters the car through the glass. Not as much through the metal. So even if you stuff your roofliner with all the insulation in the world, it won't make much of a difference. Unless you pack some dry ice in there. Which is obviously not feasible.
Here's some proper explanations to the science behind it.
https://www.quora.com/What-happens-i...in-the-hot-sun
http://steve.cooleysekula.net/blog/2...car-hot-earth/
shyn is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks