Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2012, 23:14   #31
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Future solutions:

1) Factory fitted blinds (both auto and manual) of the kind that many higher end cars from the D segment have presently. These should soon make their way to the B & C segment.

2) Factory fitted tinted glasses.

3) Aftermarket Blinds (both auto and manual) - they should be acceptable, but believe they are not safe for the front seats and visibility would be significantly reduced.

4) Fully Transparent Film 95% light pass through (of the kind used for the front windscreen) Expensive and NOT Legal but would be very very hard to make out from outside.

5) Sun Blinds - The Traffic Police may stop the car and remove them.

6) Suction Stick on Shades - Bad to look at and manage. - Do not cover the entire Glass.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 23:37   #32
BHPian

Unfortunately Honorable Justice Swatanter Kumar has left no scope for any "alternatives".

As the judgment states and i quote "For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country ."

This means that one can not even use things like roller blinds and curtains or any other sought of thing to stop the heat !.

My advice would be to wait for a while till an appeal is filed against this order as you must have already removed your sun film which must mean a good lump of money gone down the drain , then it doesn't make sense putting down more money for an alternative which would also be removed by the cops and anyways , the monsoons are about to hit our shores so hopefully the heat should go down a bit
Old 5th June 2012, 23:57   #33
BANNED

So I want to change my windshield and side glasses to a factory tinted (sandwiched) one with 70% and 50% respectively. What are the options when the original car maker does not provide any?

What are the leading brands in Gelf that could make a killing here? Do these type of glasses come by car make and model or can they be cut to size and custom specs?

--R
Old 6th June 2012, 02:03   #34
BHPian

I have automatic blinds in my 2 cars, but the third one does not have it - I'm not going to get any films as everyday I see at least 5 cars which have their films being ripped apart - and even if you can get away by a 100 bucks bribe, why do so? Why break the law? May it be a foolish law - I will not break it.

So decided to get these - CAR Auto Stop Sunshade Screen~TUBE DESIGN~2pcs | eBay 4 pieces should be good for 800, not a bad deal.

Of course font and back remain uncovered.

BTW never been stopped by cops in my either cars which have automatic blinds - and trust me the visibility is worse than that of the darkest films, however since they are factory OEM fitted, I'm on the right side of the law.
Old 6th June 2012, 09:33   #35
BHPian

We will start finding some JUGAD very soon... Option may be available from putting good old days curtain to auto scroll film.
Indian GOVT has opened up another set of business for Chineese comp. Wait for few months, we will be having lots of option. Any how Mansoon has arrived and heat has reduce in many parts of India. So Instead of immediate alternative we can wait and watch for new product.
Sowmya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 12:47   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Products that could see adaptation soon to automotive application?

Welcome to Electric Glass Wall

Electrochromic Glass | Electrochromatic Glass - Glazette.com

Electrochromic Glass: Instant Darkening

Approaching a check point - flick a switch....

Is it legal???

This company already has automotive application ready..is this acceptable alternate??
AGP Glass :: Products

Wrongly ended up pasting in another thread about sun films that is running

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2012 at 14:22. Reason: Merging both your posts.
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 13:58   #37
BHPian

The SC has only allowed manufacturer installed glasses with minimum 70% visibility in the front/rear and 50% visibility in the sides. So the retrofitting the above fancy glasses will be illegal as well.

I believe the only legal options left open for us are these
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-injinjideserthat.jpg  

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-headwear_desert_hat_02.jpg  

Lord Lucan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 14:32   #38
BHPian

We can fix coat hooks above the windows and hang old 'graduation day' blazers, etc. This should work fine for rear windows.
Daewood is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 14:40   #39
passionate1977

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th June 2012 at 22:58. Reason: Please read the note in your post, Thanks

Old 6th June 2012, 14:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
This company already has automotive application ready..is this acceptable alternate??
AGP Glass :: Products

Wrongly ended up pasting in another thread about sun films that is running
Isn't this similar to that Mercedes used on the roof of Maybach? Maybe others cars might have them.
Old 6th June 2012, 15:11   #41
BHPian

Well whatever creates issues with visibility from outside the car to the inside should be banned. It really is crappy and a pretty much insane judgement. As a country, temperatures are drastically changing every year. Come summers and the mercury soars like crazy.

An A/C in the car is effective only upto a certain degree, post which its just air blowing through a really strained effort to cool off a really hot car. Tomorrow if people start having heat strokes in their cars, that is gonna cause more accidents than anything else.

We just have a very lazy law system that pretty much wants to sit on its fat *** and grow their pott bellies. Instead of asking us to take off our films or banning even transparent heat reducing films, they should really stop and ask people to roll down windows by evening.

As far as I understand, a clear film that rejects heat has pretty much zero loss of visibility, so whether one drives by day or night, occupants of the cabin are visibile 100%, so why the hell is that banned??
Old 6th June 2012, 16:15   #42
BHPian

Instead of complaining, become a minor government figure. I haven't seen any of the flashy, white Innovas, Safaris, Fortunners or Sumos even having their tints ripped out, at least in Bombay. Maybe you could try your luck with a 'Bharat Sarkar' sticker too. And I don't know if anyone noticed that ALL high court judges have 0% visibility black tints on their new Corollas. So in India, there is a way for laws to apply differently. You just have to seek a greater purpose
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 18:10   #43
BHPian

Not sure if its viable but has anyone experimented with smoked glasses(adhering to the 70/50 rule) just like the way people get the tail lamps smoked?

Last edited by raihan : 6th June 2012 at 18:11.
raihan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 18:30   #44
BHPian

Smoked glasses,again is by applying/coating vinyl or paint to the glasses.This is again illegal.
Old 6th June 2012, 20:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sun Films banned - other options for sun control

You could use clear film thats used for front windshield. This is assuming you want film for cooling and not for privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
All films are banned.
But if you install a clear film like 3M CR70 for the sides and back, then how will the cops know?
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks