Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 05:41   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I'm wondering why the sun-film guys can't do a perfect cutting at the top edge of the window so that you don't see any gap? Or any technique to avoid the gap? Or does that tend to peel off the film more than the other way? Sorry if this has been discussed earlier.
Two reasons you can't have tint with a perfect fit on glass. One, in order to cut and fit it perfectly, you will need to remove the glass from the door and then put the tint on. Secondly, the top will peel over time due to rubbing. Only if the window in question is never raised or lowered will it stay perfect.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 06:54   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm wondering why the sun-film guys can't do a perfect cutting at the top edge of the window so that you don't see any gap? Or any technique to avoid the gap? Or does that tend to peel off the film more than the other way? Sorry if this has been discussed earlier.
They leave the space which goes into the rubber bidding at the top of the gate to avoid the film undergoing friction everytime you open or close the glass completely.
Old 14th March 2013, 07:21   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit0103 View Post
How much did it cost you and for which car ?
4200/- and see my signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

As far as 70% films go, I think the cops would be able to spot it. The problem is earlier they used to look as good as transparent when almost all other cars were seen sporting much darker shades of tints. But now with most of them having transparent glasses, a car sporting 70% films would stand out. Also the last time I checked, at the slightest suspicion the cops check your windows by palpating for the film since it ends a few cms below the top edge of the window glass.
Agree with you completly, I will have to be careful now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

Regarding, other vehicles on the road, I have noticed that the cops only stop car's completely ignoring the inter state luxury buses. Most of these buses have really dark sun films PLUS (some also have) curtain's and the cops just don't care? It's even more odd considering the bus gang rape, I thought, the way our authorities go into knee jerk reactions they would go after buses but that hasn't happened. Has it something to do with the fact that most of these luxury buses are owned by politicians and some even by cops themselves?
Yes I have noticed this in Bangalore too. Most private busses have very dark tints, Have pointed it out on Bangalore traffic police fb page but like you said, they probably belong to some bigwig. We private car owners are a soft target for cops.
Quote:
I spoke to the installer about doing it the way you suggested but he said the film will detach from the edge if he does it to the top edge.
Old 14th March 2013, 07:28   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
got Garware classic lite 70% vlt on all windows of my Dzire. From inside the car it looks like there is no film but it has 40% heat rejection and 99 % UV protection. However from the outside it reflects light (something like 3Ms RE series). It is a very light shade of grey. Hope I can evade the cops now and enjoy summer.
What made you opt for this over 3M given that both are priced at the same range?
Old 14th March 2013, 10:07   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of these buses have really dark sun films PLUS (some also have) curtain's and the cops just don't care? It's even more odd considering the bus gang rape, I thought, the way our authorities go into knee jerk reactions they would go after buses but that hasn't happened. Has it something to do with the fact that most of these luxury buses are owned by politicians and some even by cops themselves?
Totally agree, Haryana state transport Volvos were put off duty for 15 odd days after Delhi police started penalizing them after the rape case. Now, we seldom see any bus with tinted glass.

Apart from being owned by effluent people, they pay 'haftas' on regular basis to do whatever they want!

Quote:
I believe there is some technique as one of my colleague has films till the edge. He claims that cops have stopped him thrice till now and let him go as they can't 'feel' the film.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 11:54   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I believe there is some technique as one of my colleague has films till the edge. He claims that cops have stopped him thrice till now and let him go as they can't 'feel' the film.
I'm sure that the sun-film guys can outsmart the cops. Not that the cops are not smart, they just don't want to; they are too comfortable in their govt. job cocoon.

Quote:
but he said the film will detach from the edge if he does it to the top edge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
to avoid the film undergoing friction everytime you open or close the glass completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Tthe top will peel over time due to rubbing.
I doubt this, as even now with the gap, some of the film goes inside and rubs against the beading every time, right? I don't have my car with me right now to check this.
Old 14th March 2013, 12:19   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt this, as even now with the gap, some of the film goes inside and rubs against the beading every time, right? I don't have my car with me right now to check this.
In theory it shouldn't be like that. Maybe a few mm if they raise the beading and then cut the tint. Of course if your tint goes into the beading and does not peel off then the best way is to remove the window and get the tint cut to fit the glass perfectly.
Old 14th March 2013, 13:35   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
What made you opt for this over 3M given that both are priced at the same range?
Same price range?? full glass with 3M is 18 K
Old 14th March 2013, 13:41   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yea but I guess it depends upon the workmanship of the guy who put the film. Ideally as per my understanding it should not rub with the beading. If even after cutting the top edge its still rubbing then am sure it would peel off faster. Again in the current scenario one might want to get the film right till the top. That way you can have the films for 2-3 years with you without the cops being able to make out. Ofcourse the films need to be 70% VLT atleast.
Old 14th March 2013, 15:07   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same price range?? full glass with 3M is 18 K
I remember seeing 3M RE in your post and hence. I got them for about the same cost.

The price you quote for 3M are for the crystalline CR series.
Old 14th March 2013, 15:27   #236
BANNED

Quote:
4200/- and see my signature
The last time I enquired in Nasik for Garware about 6 months back i was quoted 2700/- for all side windows and rear.
Bangalore is always costly.
Old 14th March 2013, 15:37   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
The last time I enquired in Nasik for Garware about 6 months back i was quoted 2700/- for all side windows and rear.
Bangalore is always costly.
you are right, for this variety of garware. it was 2600 sides and back and 1600 for front, thus the total of 4200
Old 14th March 2013, 15:49   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of these buses have really dark sun films PLUS (some also have) curtain's and the cops just don't care? It's even more odd considering the bus gang rape, I thought, the way our authorities go into knee jerk reactions they would go after buses but that hasn't happened. Has it something to do with the fact that most of these luxury buses are owned by politicians and some even by cops themselves?
No, that has nothing to do with Buses belonging to any politician or any cop; it is more to do with the fact that usually bus drivers do not carry much cash in case they are caught and rely on their owner to come and bail them out. Hence, Cops rarely stop them but catch small car owners who are more likely to stop and pay fine or warm their hands with something. I am saying this because last week I was stopped for the 70% visibility films and was asked to surrender my license. When I argued why are they letting big buses go and stopped me (the bus was ahead of me), I was told that they are trying to stop as many vehicles as they can (which didnt convince me at all).

After i removed my film, I was confused at a signal (It was green earlier, but suddenly turned red); I didnt break the signal but was pulled over by the cop, he just checked one thing - Sun films! Since, I had them removed last week, he let me go.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 16:01   #239
BANNED

Quote:
you are right, for this variety of garware. it was 2600 sides and back and 1600 for front, thus the total of 4200
Good makes sense to have Garware Sunfilim , 3M is way costly , was quoted 12K for only side windows.
Old 14th March 2013, 16:53   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Ice Cool shield. VLT 70 for front.
I havent compared with other brands, but Vid6639 has. This one is a cost-effective alternative to the higher priced brands.

Personally, I find that it works just fine. Have it on my vehicles & also my cousin's Tavera
Where did you get the Ice Cool Shield film installed at what price? I searched this in couple of places and no one seems to store them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks