Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2014, 00:55   #991
BANNED

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

These accessories will be available in the free market pretty soon, going by the popularity of Scorpio as a brand. Infact, funny story - the last time I was at my accessories guy he told me "Bhai, don't buy the Safari. There's nothing in the market for it"

Anyway, more than the list what's interesting is the second picture. It's probably the only snap of the lower variant of the Scorpio that's available to us right now. It is supposed to have black ORVMs and the black cladding around the vehicle (the last version just had unpainted bumpers and no cladding). Cheers!
Old 8th October 2014, 06:31   #992
M35
BHPian

Re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
New Scorpio Accessories.
I thought it came with enough, at least it looked so.
Instead of adding anything more, I would like to know if there is an option to get rid of that horrendous looking huge dark strip on the rear door.
M35 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 10:26   #993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
I thought it came with enough, at least it looked so.
Instead of adding anything more, I would like to know if there is an option to get rid of that horrendous looking huge dark strip on the rear door.
You would be able to remove that, however it will leave holes on the door as the claddings and the strip is inserted through clips. So to get back a proper look you may have to have them filled and the door panels repainted.
Old 8th October 2014, 10:31   #994
BHPian

Wonder how this works. I also see Dish TV has started this service in select towns but have a big antenna on top of the car.

Can someone throw light on this or is it being discussed in a different thread?

It will be great for home folks for the soaps (Serial Killers) on long drives
Attached Images

Old 8th October 2014, 12:39   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Look at those ugly front guards! Why would M&M want to introduce those as part of their accessories? The beauty of the car is lost with those front guards. Most of the other accessories seem to be o.k.
True the beauty and uniqueness of the car is sure lost. For a second I couldn't distinguish the car from the older generation. And, shame on M&M for providing accessories that compromise pedestrian safety.
neethi_raj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 15:46   #996
BHPian

Saw the Black Scorpio y'day on the road. In Black it looks smaller and looks so out of shape and so ugly. No matter from which side I looked I wasn't pleased. The white one still looks OK, suddenly the older model has started looking better.

Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

e.g. please type Yesterday instead of Y'day

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th October 2014 at 21:45. Reason: Please read the mod note in your post, thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 16:31   #997
BHPian

Test drove the new scorpio last week.
Got a chance to drive the old scorpio and the new one back to back.

My findings:
1. Reduced Vibrations (may be as the new scorpio was "new").

2. Interior feels of much better quality and well put together.

3. The car handles very well as compared to the old one.
It does bounce around very much but its a lot lesser than the older generation.

4. The headlights turn as you turn the wheel (just like the XUV).

5. The rear plastic things which appear like handles, is just a hollow plastic cover.
Its quality does not seem to be any good and it definitely looks out of place.

I still find the old one much more handsome than the new one.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 10:01   #998
BHPian

Saw this article on Overdrive-
http://overdrive.in/features/new-mah...=ODNL-20141008

I did notice when I saw the car in flesh, the front portion of the chassis is extended by 1-1.5 FT and houses the electric fan, radiator and condenser assy. Also that leaves a clean air gap between the engine and fan (4-5 inches) with only connections (visible) are the AC and Radiator hoses. This will also make the engine extraction comparatively easy.

New Mahindra Scorpio chassis explained.

here’s a lot of attention being spared on this new platform or chassis that Mahindra has developed for the new Scorpio. What’s the big deal? Well going by what all Mahindra intends doing with it, the deal is pretty big but here are some interesting facts about this new chassis.
1. Stiffer, stronger, lighter

This chassis is still a ladder frame design but significant changes improve what it is supposed to do. The primary change here is that it’s torsionally stiffer, stronger and lighter than the older chassis. This has come about thanks to newer manufacturing practices such as hydroforming. What is hydroforming? Very simply it’s the use of a high pressure hydraulic fluid to shape ductile metals. This process makes the finished component lighter, stronger and more rigid. It’s a highly valued manufacturing process in high-end sportscars and only recently has found more acceptance across segments thanks to it being a more cost efficient process. The new Mahindra Scorpio chassis, as a result, is nearly six kilos lighter than its predecessor and a 100 per cent stiffer.
2. Modularity

The chassis is not all new, at least not 100 per cent new. The chassis is sort of modular and that allowed Mahindra to refine certain sections and leave other sections as they were. This modular chassis also lets Mahindra apply it to various combinations of vehicles. The chassis is divided into three regions, the front end which supports the engine, transmission, suspension, steering and other components. The middle section which serves the main cabin area and the tail section that supports the rear suspension and the boot area. Of these three sections, the one at the front is entirely new.
3. Suspension

The suspension technology has also changed. The previous generation Scorpio used a different architecture for the shock absorber and coil spring. That has been changed to a more conventional design but with better damping characteristics and optimum mounting points to improve ride quality and dynamic ability. There is also an anti-roll bar at the front which has reduced body roll but by a very small margin.
4. One chassis for all?

This chassis will be adopted by several other vehicles offered by Mahindra. In the more immediate future, we’ve been told, there are three other vehicles that are to come with this chassis. The compact Scorpio will be one of them as will be the new generation Xylo. Will the forthcoming Quanto, expected to be in markets before the end of the year, have this chassis? Mahindra officials refused to divulge details on that but I do suppose it’s possible since work on this chassis has been going on for the last three years. This chassis will not be supported by the Mahindra Scorpio Getaway which will continue to employ the older chassis. Neither will it be adopted by the XUV500 since that is a monocoque and not a body-on-frame structure.

5. Dimensions

The new chassis dimensions have changed, it’s wider but not longer. So track width has increased to provide better stability and a shorter turning radius. The wheelbase however is still the same, principally because of that middle section. This key area hasn’t gone through any modification to allow Mahindra to keep the development costs lower than expected. Had they changed this, then certain body panels like the doors, roof and even interior panels would need a complete overhaul which would have increased development costs and subsequently the cost to the customer.
6. Durability

To improve refinement and durability, Mahindra got rid of the rubber bushes, replacing them with polyurethane ones. These are more durable and have better damping abilities than rubber. And given that the Scorpio does take quite a beating on our roads, these polyurethane bushes also hold their shape for much longer than rubber.
So there you have it – the insights we gleaned from company officials about the new Mahindra Scorpio’s new chassis. Stay tuned to OVERDRIVE for more on the popular SUV.
Miyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 12:01   #999
Senior - BHPian

^^It sounds more like an editorial advert than anything else.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 12:17   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
1. Stiffer, stronger, lighter
Only one question from my side on this, despite the changes the weight of the vehicle remains the same. If the chassis is lighter then where did the differential weight come from.
Old 9th October 2014, 13:48   #1001
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
4. The headlights turn as you turn the wheel (just like the XUV).
The headlight doesn't turn for the XUV or the Scorpio. These are not the bending headlamps you see in the high end cars like BMW etc. I have posted a picture in this same thread a few pages back explaining how the static bending light works. It is just an extra reflector pointed sideways inside the headlight assembly unit that comes on and off when you turn the steering.

Nevertheless, it is a cost effective way to achieve cornering lamps with reasonable effectiveness.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 15:39   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Scorpio on road today, & must say it looks bigger & square (rather edgier) as compared to the outgoing version.

Must say it looks good, & for ferrying people you have the Boleros, Sumos, Taveras & Xylos, it is for the individual who wants to stand apart een from old Scorpio owners.

However, as someone has pointed out that the body has now become lighter (in a bad way), I fear the new Scorpio could be associated with something cheap (more akin Chinese products sold in India).

Last edited by CARDEEP : 9th October 2014 at 15:46.
Old 9th October 2014, 17:52   #1003
Senior - BHPian

I read in Autocar Magazine's review that now the 2.2 Mhawk produces 138 bhp as against 140 bhp.

Would anyone be able to guess the reason why they did it. Cost wise and inventory wise, If they offered Scorpio and XUV in the same state of tune, it would have reduced some cycle time at Mahindra's end and also saved on paperwork.

In all other cars, mostly, there is an increse in power with upgrades, but in scorpio, it is decreased by 2BHP. Other than fuel efficieny, what else could be the reason?
Old 9th October 2014, 18:11   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I read in Autocar Magazine's review that now the 2.2 Mhawk produces 138 bhp as against 140 bhp.
Would anyone be able to guess the reason why they did it. Cost wise and inventory wise, If they offered Scorpio and XUV in the same state of tune, it would have reduced some cycle time at Mahindra's end and also saved on paperwork.
In all other cars, mostly, there is an increse in power with upgrades, but in scorpio, it is decreased by 2BHP. Other than fuel efficieny, what else could be the reason?
Scorpio mHawk produces 120 bhp (88 kW) @ 4000 rpm while the XUV mHawk engine is tuned to 140 bhp(103kW) @ 3750 rpm while the same engine in Xylo is tuned to 91 bhp @ 4000 rpm.

I was expecting the same XUV engine and gear box to be ported to the new Scorpio, however M&M's wisdom used the same engine from the existing Scorpio and mated it with the Xylo gear box which is smoother (I can vouch for it since I had the Xylo as a standby from M&M when my Scorpio went through a gearbox change).

Apart from the mechanicals I guess the reasons for not using the same tuning could be something to do with the aerodynamics and road handling capabilities of these three cars with XUV getting the maximum power being a monocoque and more aerodynamic than its cousins.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 18:36   #1005
BHPian

I am seriously considering the S4 - 4wd variant.

Have any of you guys driven the non ABS vehicle. I really want to know how is the braking in that vehicle?

The sales guys said that S4 4wd is only made after booking and there isn't any TD vehicle. Is it so?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks