Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2014, 16:13   #796
Senior - BHPian

re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
is the design supposed to 'grow' on to you?

IMHO this is a damn confused design. The interiors are very cool 'the past but of the future' feel to it. But the front face is just hideous.

cheers,
ac
I guess so. Though I somehow liked the design from the day GTO posted the images. Personally I hated it when Mahindra modified the grill earlier with upward curve in the upper lip (copied from ugly Xylo). So relatively this was a better look for me. Having said that, it is a confused design with too many lines. Its like they rendered the rough sketch without polishing/erasing the draft lines. The refinement in terms of design language as in European cars is missing here but I hope it is a right step towards reaching there.
Old 25th September 2014, 16:20   #797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587
Excellent; so now we can have S4 with ABS and Airbags and 4WD as well.
Provided there is not catch that 4x4 version doesn't have this option. Reason I am doubtful is that the lower end 4x4 version is typically made for govt orders and babu's don't care about ABS and air bags...
Old 25th September 2014, 16:21   #798
BHPian

I went to Sireesh Auto,Bangalore today and saw the New Scorpio.

I must admit that is very impressive..!!!

Feedback-(I test dove the S6 though)

All speculations on looks put to rest. The New Gen Scorpio is a runaway success in design
  1. 17" wheels are a boon
  2. The HL cluster is fabulous
  3. TL cluster is also good and did not see the grab handle in the S6 variant
  4. Shorter turning radius saves some biceps
  5. NHV levels are decent (better than the outgoing one)
  6. Top end variant is worth every cent
  7. Roll and pitch have reduced significantly
  8. Suspension is stiffer and travel reduced
  9. Visibility to the front is good with the revised seating position
  10. Excellent thigh support
  11. The applique in the rear door looks good
  12. The dash fit and finish is reasonable
  13. Electric fan replaces the viscous fan on the outgoing model
  14. A counterweight for balance in now on the Differential pinion collar
  15. Its a new gearbox for Scorpio and shares it with current production Xylo. Shifting is smooth but throw is wide
  16. Plastic cutting and finish could be better on Lower variants
  17. Feels more stable and planted
  18. Front suspension elements including lower arm and struts look different
  19. Rear anti roll bar layout also looks new
  20. Torque has reduced by 20Nm
  21. Top gear vibrations are still present in slow speeds
  22. Visibility in the back has reduced
  23. The ABS plastic on the front fenders are a bit uneven and look like they have been made in a hurry
Verdict- Overall excellent product

Made in India. Buy Indian Made.
Miyer is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 16:27   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
I went to Sireesh Auto,Bangalore today and saw the New Scorpio.

I must admit that is very impressive..!!!

Feedback-(I test dove the S6 though)

Made in India. Buy Indian Made.
Any Pics of the S6 variant? As it will be with a Std Headlight and also the interior trims might be different

I guess i will look forward to a comparison between the new Scorpio and the new XYLO as other than the body shell most of the components are similar and pricing wise it is positioned much lower.

OT: As per the Ad on TOI today (Bangalore edition) the Aria Pure edidtion is now priced at 8.95 L (from an earlier 9.95L)and hence is very much a VFM proposition now as well.

Last edited by soumobakshi : 25th September 2014 at 16:31.
Old 25th September 2014, 16:40   #800
BHPian

Torque has been reduced from 290 Nm in earlier version to 280 Nm in the new one, but is available in the same RPM range 1800-2800.
Old 25th September 2014, 16:41   #801
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

shortbread is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 16:58   #802
BHPian

Must admit that it has been priced fantastically. I think this will sweep the market. Only those averse to driving such huge bulky cars might not get attracted and continue with compact SUV's. This baby will take the cake IMO.
Old 25th September 2014, 17:04   #803
BHPian

I am going to stick my neck out on this one and say I quite like the front-end.
Over the years I have always cringed any time Mahindra has introduced a new or refreshed model, starting with the first generation Scorpio - which I thought had odd dimensions, especially the tall boy look, the Xylo, the Quanto and a couple of updates they have had in between. The climax came with the XUV500 - starting with the name (5 double oh !) to the monstrosity of its front-end design. Compared to the Armada (WHAT A NAME) this thing was just hideous. I know all about design being subjective et al and before you beat me to the bushes I have a disclaimer - My father is a Mahindra lifer (retired after 39 years of service) and I started my career with their IT department. They are the reason I love cars, having literally grown up dreaming to own a Jeep, walking their Kandivali shop floor every year on Dushera, seen my father worry about the company’s future in the 90s with the onslaught of foreign car makers, seen him ecstatic on the launch and success of the original Scorpio and did my bit making sure their SAP systems run smoothly, in the process trying to salvage them when floods hit on 26 July. In one word Mahindra is family. So it just made matters worse when Mahindra came up with designs that were simply put out of this world - the odd ball dimensions and utterly unnecessary quirks seem to make them a natural fit with Ssangyong. Like that one beloved but exasperating member in the family, you always went for the covers when you sensed something coming.
But for all the things I thought were just plain wrong, I couldn’t have been more out of touch. Save for a couple of duds like the Xylo/Quanto twins, the Scorpio is an unprecedented success – no Indian motoring history will be complete without an ode to it. The XUV500 for all the brickbats that it got for its design, sold like hot cakes and Mahindra couldn’t keep up with demand. They just seem know what works.
In terms of design, in recent times, I think the tide is starting to turn – the re-freshed Xylo has a better mainstream front-end design, considering it’s short bonnet and overhangs and tall boy looks (but somehow it is still falling short of numbers !).
I think this refreshed Scorpio continues in that trend. In my view the design looks contemporary (save for the back) and should the keep the old work horse up and running for a few years to come.
Old 25th September 2014, 17:10   #804
BHPian

Here are a few pictures from the launch by ACI:
http://forum.autocarindia.com/index....d/#entry164888
SumitBahl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 17:21   #805
Senior - BHPian

That advt is pretty good. Something very appealing about it & very good background music.

As for the car, I don't see why they are calling it the new generation Scorpio when the overall silhoutte of the car is the same as the old one. All I see are changes to front & rear & new interiors which qualifies more as a major update over the old car. We have the first lot Scorpio in our office - it was bought within a few months of it being launched and even women can shake the car with their little finger that how soft the suspension is. I drove it a few days back when my City had to go overnight for it's 80K service and I was tired just driving it for 16 Kms from my office in Vashi to my home in Chembur. It just keeps you very busy holding onto he steering, focussing on all the movements happening as the car rolls all over the road. Hope this one has it's suspension & chassis sorted out.
Old 25th September 2014, 17:42   #806
BHPian

Hi guys.. i saw the car in person a couple hours back..

Those who were upset by the looks can breathe a little....The car is much better in person. Trust me on this.

Following are the highlight improvements

1. New underlying chasis changed and in now based on some technique called hydroforming
2. New dash and interiors, higher models get power windows on the door trim
3. Light grey color interiors, ala Nissan Sunny. Quality on par with Nissan Sunny
4. XUV Steering with all new dash. S10 model has the GPS navigation system like in the XUV
5. Those that faulted the XUV for being overdone will find this far more pleasing
6. Silver fascia on the tail i only on S10, the guys in the showroom were more than happy to skip it if we liked
7. Wheels increased to 17"
8. Same engine, new manual gearbox
9. Those dreaded grab handles at the back are not grab handles, they are some box like thing only for design purpose

Some omissions and sad parts
1. AT missing
2. 4WD in S4 and S10 only. Personally if S6+ had 4WD i would have been much happier
3. No changes in internal dimensions of the seating. Those who thought 3rd row will improve must note that this did not happen.
4. It is still a scorpio and i saw a ton of Politicos looking at their future vehicle in the showroom. lol.

The website has been refreshed. you can get all the stuff details.

Last edited by acidkill : 25th September 2014 at 17:44.
acidkill is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 17:52   #807
BHPian

The outgoing model looked terrific in white color. May be in the new model, we might see other colors selling better than white. Others colors like blue look better in the new model than the white due to black front grille and rear.
Old 25th September 2014, 18:00   #808
BHPian

TBH, the front of the car looks decent, and contemporary. But what the hell was Mahindra thinking with those diwali lights at the back?

The interior looks fairly upmarket too, and the dashboard actually looks fairly modern.

All in all, a decent job done. But more than a decade in the making, I was expecting way more Mahindira.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 18:16   #809
BANNED

The exteriors are more biased on the side of hate-it design except those subaru inspired head-lights. But the interiors look premium atleast in their website's 360deg section for this price point. I would love to see this machine in the new blue colour in flesh.
Old 25th September 2014, 18:36   #810
BHPian

The good part is for lower variants without the LED eye brows (I saw the S6) get a chrome fitment replicating the LED.

Looks good and costs nothing.

What could have been offered is the 140 tune for the S10 Variant.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks