Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2014, 00:01   #571
BHPian

re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Looks absolutely horrendous!! IMHO belongs to the weird and wacky thread. I don't understand the need for those grab handles at the rear and why the huge blacked out part in the rear, seriously ugly. The front looks like some guy wanted his SUV to look like a sedan. The shape of those headlamps clearly resembles a wannabe Dodge Charger!!! Those tail-lamps are a really lazy attempt by the designers.
Old 20th September 2014, 00:01   #572
BHPian

Thank you Team-Bhp fan for sharing the pics.The result of the facelift is similar to what Maruti did to the beautiful Zen.Like the Zen classic I cannot decide which is uglier,the front or the rear.
Old 20th September 2014, 00:04   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
I still don't believe the rear design. In the scoop pics the front photo is of a different car and the rear is of a different one. So I believe the rear will be more subtle than the one in the pic. Any way they gave enough clues with the verito vibe rear. Then again quanto rear and now this. So it's like mahindra can design good new cars but not good facelifts. Mahindra is what it is because of Scorpio and they should not play around with it.
I think Mahindra is attempting the scorpio to be the Jeep Commander. It just a "wanna be" stunt, looks cheap if its going to be present in the production model !
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-jeepcommander.jpg  

Superleggera is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 00:09   #574
BHPian

Valid observation, the storme does look so much more palatable now. Think this was an attempt by Mahindra to do something drastic like what Hyundai did with their fluidic design language but to me it seems like an epic fail!
Old 20th September 2014, 00:12   #575
BHPian

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-2014scorpiorendering.jpg

Some time in the beginning of 2013 I saw this cooked picture .I wanted it to look something along this line and they landed not very far off.
And just now I saw the post here. I think its too early to comment on the looks right now . Scorpio was always the benchmark due to its capabilities , if that has improved along with few additions here and there that really affect the ride quality positively i would say job well done MnM.
ARAY is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 00:13   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

NOT to my taste either. Now this makes the two very similar (TATA & Mahindra) - Too much of testing times and finally an underwhelming product. Again the way it's going, similar to XUV 500 revealing. The product drew so much flak for the design but the pricing changed the whole game. Would Mahindra do the same again?! Wait & watch I guess.

Edit:: May be a perfect time to launch the face-lifted Storme; with a huge re-jig to the price/variants and head to head with Scorpio! Yeah, ONLY if they want some numbers of course.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th September 2014 at 00:16.
Old 20th September 2014, 00:13   #577
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra:

Some queries i had
1) Is this a face lift or all new?
2) Those grab bars in the end is outrageous. The jeep which you copied from doesnt sell majority of them with it.
3) Why is the windhshield bigger and flatter.
4) Less of curves
5) I hope bullet proof reliability comes with V1 unlike what majority xuv owners had to go through.
6) MOST IMP> Does it ride like a boat?

Best of luck Mahindra. You sell a lot of different engines.

Maddy
Maddy
Old 20th September 2014, 00:18   #578
Senior - BHPian

I think the new look will take some to get use to it and I am sure slowly and surely people will accept the new look and it will grow on all.

Let's see how the chassis and the gear box makes a change in its capabilities and the Scorpio lives up to its name when it comes to the capabilities.

MM, please do reveal the names of the design team and its head so that we know what kind of people are employed by you, we would like to know their imagination and inspiration for the new look Scorpio.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 00:27   #579
AVR
BHPian

The Xylo, then the Quanto and now the Scorpio. The only "Rise" Mahindra's implementing is the Ugliness Quotient.

I think the only way to "Rise" further is to have the MM Customization guys do a further whacky take on this.

Like someone said, the trailer with the silhouette was so much more exciting.

Sadly, this will sell too.
Old 20th September 2014, 00:32   #580
BHPian

What have they done!! They have ruined a really nice looking SUV!
The tail lamp cluster is too much with the chrome and grab handles! They took so long, could have also worked on the side profile. IMO, the last bench windows always looked out of place. Has anyone booked one already? Missed a heartbeat? Pun intended.

The rendering of the facelift was done somewhere in first half of 2013 and its almost the same as the final product. That suggests they might have invested it all in improving the ride quality and its dynamics. Now these along with pricing are the only saving grace!

Last edited by nishantdlv : 20th September 2014 at 00:56.
Old 20th September 2014, 00:34   #581

can't resist to comment without seeing the vehicle in flesh. The rear images looks so disappointing and quite chaotic especially those grab handles with blue and orange tail lamps. Some how, the refreshed headlamp unit reminding me of something similar to ones on Mitsubishi Outlander. Looks like it also received a creased hood. Hope they give some good treatment for rear as well like the XUV500.

Mahindra had taken a very long time for the product refreshment. If they wish to keep the butch look of the SUV untouched like safari storme, I wish the mechanical changes will reflect the very long efforts of Mahindra.
Old 20th September 2014, 00:38   #582
BHPian

I do not have words to explain my horror. When I first saw this on FB, I thought it was some mod job! It looks totally disproportionate. I think Mahindra designers need run down for this.

Quanto, VErito Vibe and now this !!

Where are the good looking cars ? Coming from someone who owns an XUV, this is not palatable from Mahindra. :(
Old 20th September 2014, 00:56   #583
BHPian

Is it me or do the headlights apart from the indicator position look like the slightly enlarged version of the ones on the Dodge Charger?

Although i wouldn't rate the front end 5 stars, i'm sure that their looks will grow on to their owners with time. Besides i can imagine looking at that intimidating face of the facelift Scropio in my IRVM, least for sure it does impove the road presence if not the looks of the car.
As for the rear end, yup i agree with you guys. I too made this face when i saw it --> din't like it at all.
Starfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 01:20   #584
BHPian

What on earth is wrong with Indian car designers ?? The new Scorpio looks down right hideous. Like many of you have said they have turned a classic, simple, elegant and sturdy design into something that can only be described as wannabe, confused, ugly and tacky.

I was really looking forward to the new Scorpio but am V. disappointed.

Any clue what are the other changes on the Fugly New Mahindra - (wont call it a Scorpio, it does not look like one) other than the tacky design ?

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 20th September 2014 at 01:21.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 01:39   #585
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

After so much of testing and R&D and what not - this is what they could come up with? I cannot understand why facelifts are carried out only on the back and front of the car. if you notice all manufacturers - their facelifts is concentrated only on the lights and grille (with the addition of some cheesy chrome and cheap stickers). Why do they not realise that these facelifts need to match with the rest of the car. To match the edgy lights and grille- they could have atlest changed the wheel arches from a round to a squarish one.

Reminds me of the movie - Face Off - featuring Nicholas Cage and John Travolta. Imagine if they had just interchanged their faces leaving the rest of the body the same!!!

So now the new Scorpio is a mix of the following vehicles :
  • Codename W105 - derived fromthe 1950's Mercedes
  • Headlights - Derived from the Dodge Charger
  • Grille - Reminds me of the new Yeti
  • Rear - Derived from the Jeep Commander

Maybe they should have let the Scorpio covered with those tarapulin covers - looks better that way.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks