Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2012, 11:54   #76

Re: April 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Good to see Ertiga starting with a bang.

On top the well rounded review on the forum, from what i saw, in person, Ertiga looks even more impressive.

Maruti has another winner in India.

As pointed out by fellow BHPians,overpriced models like Jetta,Fluence etc seem to be still langushing.

Nissan sunny seem be to be fading away, but i see good number of cars on the road these days. Hope it is just a blip for this month,
Old 5th May 2012, 13:36   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
* Hurrah for the Jazz! I'm really pleased that this spacious beauty has entered the 4-digit figures. So, there are now 1,300 new owners who share my passion for Jazz.

* Still cannot figure why the aged Omni still outsells its bigger sibling, Eeco (a modern and more spacious carrier).

* Surprised why the Tata Venture sells only 525 cars. It is far better looking and more premium than the Omni or the Eeco and moreover, it has a DIESEL engine.
It feels nice to see good numbers for a capable car like Jazz. I would really be interested in knowing the true potential of Jazz wrt sales figures in the next few months.

As regards Omni v Eeco, I used to get surprised in the same way and got the answer in the same way you got. Quoting your own post.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2739108

Though Tata Venture looks good but I personally didn't like the looks and also it has distant similarities with ACE, and it being sold in TML CV showrooms alongwith Passenger Car showrooms, its the "image" factor. I would never consider a Venture if I were in market for a family car.
PS: You were sitting on 99 and I thanked to complete the century.

Last edited by carwatcher : 5th May 2012 at 13:39.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 16:41   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
I have been saying from day 1 on Ertiga thread that it is not going to compete with Innova/Xylo but it is direct competition to sedans and hatch backs. It is really early to draw some conclusion here but look at the sedans with spacious cabins like Sunny, Etios and Manza. All these registered lower numbers an I think these are on receiving end from Ertiga.
I have to eat my words! I expected Ertiga to make a dent in Innova but it looks like the SX4, Vento, Sunny etc who seem to have been hit. However I am yet to see many ertigas on the road & we should watch how this fight turns out to be as we see more on the road!

Swift is the Topper for the month? Wow! It cant be the petrol Vs diesel issue for Alto's fall ..... something is missing!

Verna rocking the chart at the cost of Ford new fiesta is puzzling. I am thinking if this is the best time to bargain & negotiate for a ford fiesta petrol (Automatic) considering the rut they are in now.

April has been a suprising month in many ways! This report has become the highlight of Team BHP now & should help attract more new members & Fans!
Old 5th May 2012, 19:38   #79
BHPian

Superb report. I am seeing Ertiga eating not only swift but other cars sales in future. Sad to see Fiat not in the chart. Seems no competition to maruti 41% market share. Stiff competition is a must for the good of the consumer.
Old 5th May 2012, 20:16   #80
BHPian

What's up with the Jazz? Mediocre performance through out the last year, even in March, and suddenly in April there is a 50% increase in sales. Any discounts being offered?

I think its high time that VW realized that they are no premium brand and that people are not going to pay extra for what they term as 'better quality' cars. In fact many VW's are suffering from quality issues, even though minor and its not doing the company any good.
Old 5th May 2012, 20:40   #81
Senior - BHPian

Any News on Force 1 figures? I see more and more Force 1's than Aria!
Old 5th May 2012, 21:55   #82
BHPian

Breaking down the sales volume of top 20 cars ...

... by brand:
Maruti - 8
Hyundai - 5
Tata - 2
Mahindra - 2
Toyota - 1
Chevrolet - 1
Ford - 1

... by body type:
Hatchbacks - 12
MPVs - 3
Vans - 3
Sedans - 2

Note the "by brand" ranking also correlates with market share ranking precisely.

Based on the above:
1. Hatchbacks rule in India - if you want to be a top volume player here, hatchback products in the entry-level, mass market, and premium segment are a must.

2. Hyundai is edging closer to market leader Maruti - Maruti to watch out and plan its strategy accordingly.

3. Toyota's top seller is an MPV - Liva is not making into top 20 list; Toyota should revisit their blueprint for going mass and achieving volumes.

4. Chevrolet, Ford, and Tata top ranking comes only from their hatchbacks - they should widen the hatchback portfolio to bump up volumes.

5. Mahindra top rankers are all people movers - their attempt to get into sedan space is not bearing satisfying results. Need to decide their future volumes strategy.

6. If we do not count Dzire as a proper sedan, then Verna is the only sedan in the top 20 volume list.

7. By nationality the top manufacturers are Japanese: 2; Indian: 2; American 2; South Korean: 1. Note no European in the list.

This is to say, if any manufacturer wants to up the volumes, he should have a look at this excellent report month on month. Team-bhp report gives a pretty good insight into this. Kudos to those who prepared this report.
murillo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 22:51   #83
Senior - BHPian

- Maruti is dominating the charts as usual . Just imagine if their small cars get the 1.0 DDIS under their hood ! Im surprised the Dzire with a wannabe boot selling like hot cakes . Whats wrong with the Estilo nos? Maruti needs to work on the A-star , Estilo and the Ritz (backlift).

- Tata's perfomance has been mediocre , though people have been going ga ga over their share price performance lately , perfomance of Indica and Manza has been disappointing .

- People at VW have been smoking the same stuff that Honda was smoking few years back. Vento was their best performer and they had to overprice it ! 12 lacs + OTR is seriously overpriced for a 4 seater and Polo on the other hand has a 3 pot engine TDI for 8lacs + OTR ! Vento Comfortline trim screams for ABS and Driver Side Airbag . Rapid is easily eating into sales of Vento .

- Honda must be one worried lot. All their cars have had dismal performance.
IMO they should launch the New Civic ASAP ( diesel will make it a killer). Sales of most of the cars in that segment have come down , it would make more sense for Honda to launch the New Civic before the Elantra/Avante launch.
City and Brio have been fluctuating and there is no doubt that Honda depends on these two cars.

- Hyundai sales look promising . i20 inspite of being overpriced is selling quite well. Fluidic Verna easily seems to be the segment leader selling almost 3 times more than the Vento !! Eon sales also seem to have picked up and is now selling consistently more than the i10.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:18   #84
Senior - BHPian

Along with my previous query on Force 1 figures, any idea on RIO numbers? It seems to be getting better and better day by day. It seems it also has key less entry (similar to micra!)
Old 7th May 2012, 16:41   #85
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
What is the main reason behind Yeti's failure in INDIA ?
In a nutshell, it's too small for the money. The quirky styling doesn't win it too many fans either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
I have to eat my words! I expected Ertiga to make a dent in Innova but it looks like the SX4, Vento, Sunny etc who seem to have been hit.
Unsurprising, this was predicted in our Ertiga review. Those who want a full-size Innova will buy that only. However, cross-shopping with same-price sedans is rampant amongst Ertiga buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Any News on Force 1 figures? I see more and more Force 1's than Aria!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Along with my previous query on Force 1 figures, any idea on RIO numbers?
Force & Premier don't report numbers, presumably due to them being too low to brag about.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 17:08   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Force & Premier don't report numbers, presumably due to them being too low to brag about.
Agreed. However, I remember someone posting Force 1 figures for March, 2012. So thought that the same gentleman would post again.
Old 7th May 2012, 22:42   #87
BHPian

@ GTO: Thanks a lot for putting up all the hard work and bring in all the numbers. I would like to know more on the following:
-Why are Chevrolet Aveo (Sedan) numbers consistently so appalling? As a package it doesn’t look as bad as the numbers speak of.
-Is the spike in Honda Jazz numbers due to pending deliveries being fulfilled or does it have other reasons attached to it as well?
-Why no takers for Lancer/Cedia/Evo X? Especially 6 Evo Xs is 6 months and 0 in last two months seems shocking to me.
-While the Fiesta Classic still clocks decent numbers, why the New Fiesta fails to deliver inspite of being a promising package?
In addition, it would be interesting to see the numbers for Sonalika Rinho vs. Chevrolet Tavera just to understand the consumer behavior towards both these brands since the latter is sourcing its engine from the former.

Thanks.
Old 8th May 2012, 07:08   #88
BHPian

Force Trax selling 1000+ numbers is not a small thing.
Force1 sold near 300 Nos. in march this cannot be ignored.

I believe Sonalika Rhino also sold good numbers in some months.All these remain unsung stories.
ramesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 07:25   #89
Senior - BHPian

- Why is Chevy still pushing Aveo down the throat of the customers? even when they don't like it's taste? What exactly is stopping them to launch the new Sonic sedan and hatch?

http://www.chevrolet.com/sonic-small-cars/?seo=goo
Old 8th May 2012, 09:40   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
What is the main reason behind Yeti's failure in INDIA ?

The 4x2 with its 110 bhp heart is not helping either. I guess the 4x2 with 140bhp would have worked.

Pre-worshipped value seekers are not able to find any good examples either.

Coming from a person who nearly signed a cheque for one and backed out

1: Interiors did not reflect the price that I was paying

2: Not that refined and heavy clutch

3: Seating fit for 4 friends and 1 enemy

It handles well and quite responsive, the ingredients were right but recipe went flat. If I needed a rough roader, I would have still given another look.

Another reason, although fit and finish are not upto scratch - XUV500
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks