Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2006, 12:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Ya and stillllll People all over world think "Pune" is the 3rd most fav city for industry/development.... I dont know whether u ve come across this or not.......
Old 2nd April 2006, 20:56   #17
BWN
BHPian

Chennai is most suitable for this title.As someone said, so many OEM's plus Ashok leyland,Hyundai,Ford,HM and Enfield makes chennai a hot destination.no idea about the infrastructure in Delhi-Noida belt, but surely its bad in Mumbai and Pune.Scope of expansion is there in Ahemadnagar,Aurangabad and Nashik but i think chennai has better setup in place and a good support from wither governments.
Old 2nd April 2006, 20:57   #18
BWN
BHPian

BMW is also planning to setup a mfg facility in chennai if i am right.Correct me if i am wrong.
Old 2nd April 2006, 21:06   #19
SLK
Senior - BHPian

.. The .. BIG MUL.. in here.. in NCR.
But I doubt there is much space left here for such big industrial setup any more..
unless they .. contract with DLF!
Old 3rd April 2006, 10:47   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Maharashtra got a bad name mostly because of Bombay. Both Mahindra and PAL/Fiat faced the brunt of labour problems. Not to mention flooding! Its now rumoured that FIAT is selling off its plant to developers and moving to Ranjangaon now.

Otherwise Pune, Nashik, Baramati, Aurangabad are all doing pretty well.
More than anything, the Enron incident (and rightly so) has scared the jitters out of any MNC looking at investing in Maharashtra.

GTO
Old 3rd April 2006, 11:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN
Chennai is most suitable for this title.As someone said, so many OEM's plus Ashok leyland,Hyundai,Ford,HM and Enfield makes chennai a hot destination.
Ashok Leyland is actually near Bangalore along with Volvo. Its actually good that these industries are spread across different regions in the country. It means that growth (and its attendant problems) is spread evenly across the country.

Come to think of it, Detroit isnt exactly a model city to emulate. Rampant crime, suburbs that are now ghost towns etc etc.
Old 3rd April 2006, 12:15   #22
mxx
BHPian

First, i would like to say i am not recommending any place. Just talking some facts.

Any car company which means serious business will consider a port city. Else, the logistics will be a big problem, both for export of cars and import of components. Specially, companies like BMW, which will have high import content, needs to be able to tranport imported materials easily, which again is good if it is a port city. Which is one of the reason why chennai is up the list. The next reason is that Chennai govt is much more investor friendly, as far as manufacturing is concerned. Whereas other govts, like andhra govt are competent only in IT investments.
Another port is city Kochi ,which incidently, was one of the place BMW initially considered. Kerala is nutorious for labour problems, and not so competent labour force. Too many strikes, protests, and to top it all, always has govt which is not supportive enough to investors.
Pune seems to be a good choice in Maharashtra, with high profile companies like DCIL and TATA. This is not a port city, which seems to be a negative point.
Andhra does not have any car manufacturing plants(correct me if i am wrong) and the infrastructure outside hyderbad is not very great. So, the govt needs do more to convince the manufacturers.
Karnataka has 2 high profile automobile plants, Toyota & Volvo. But other than that no other manufacturers seems to be very interested in new investments here. This could be because the current govt is not investor friendly like the previous one. Also, the recent labour problem in Toyota plant here could be a bad mark to some investors.
So, unless the other govts become investor friendly enough or better their infrastructure, more investments might go to chennai (TN).

I am not aware of situations up north, so not commenting on that.
Old 3rd April 2006, 12:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival
Ashok Leyland is actually near Bangalore along with Volvo. Its actually good that these industries are spread across different regions in the country. It means that growth (and its attendant problems) is spread evenly across the country.
Ashok Leyland is located at Ambattur, Chennai. They also have a manufacturing facility at Hosur in Tamilnadu, not Bangalore as you mentioned. Volvo is in Bangalore.
Old 3rd April 2006, 13:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx
Another port is city Kochi ,which incidently, was one of the place BMW initially considered. Kerala is nutorious for labour problems, and not so competent labour force.
Labour problems, yes. Competence - I dont agree. See how the same people do once they get out of the communist-infested environment of Kerala. Otherwise the successful industries in Kerala are amongst the leaders in productivity across the country. Take even public sector undertakings that have had units across the country - invariably the ones in Kerala were the most productive and the units there have been profitable.

However the crabby communists ensure that they pull pull down anyone trying to crawl out of their well.
Old 3rd April 2006, 14:13   #25
Team-BHP Support

Well, AP realized that alongwith its fast-track growth in IT and bio-pharma they need to catch up in other fields as well. Already the latest buzz-word is the hardware field. So many fabs are being set up here that it may start throwing some serious competition to some other asian countries. And on the same vein even the automotive manufacturing is also high on the agenda. AP is pushing Vizag and Tada as two potential candidates in this respect. In fact after Vizag now VW is also supposedly considering Tada as an option. And very latest from today's TOI is that Hyundai plans to set up a huge R&D and manufacturing base here. Govt has immediately allocated some 55 acres or so and Hyundai is going to for site visit today.

So you never know... if this new found zeal for industrialization stays for some time AP may also start vying for the Detroit of India title. Till then they will play the catch-up with TN.
Old 3rd April 2006, 19:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

TOYOTA also looking now

Toyota which was initially planning to set up their small car plant next door in Bangalore is also now looking for a new location.
All this after the long dragging labour dispute which is still on going. One small goof up by the state government (supporting the workers) is now costing them potential 5000 high paying direct jobs, not to mention the all the secondary benefits. Anyways, I dont know why they decided on Bangalore in the first place.

@mxx AP does have a plant in Zaheerabad. Was Allwyn Nissan and now Mahindra Nissan. BMW is in Chengulpet, TN.

Another location to watch out for is Pithampur.
Old 4th April 2006, 23:04   #27
BWN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival

Come to think of it, Detroit isnt exactly a model city to emulate. Rampant crime, suburbs that are now ghost towns etc etc.
Sir, Ashok Leyland is not in Bangalore.Its has 2 units in Hosur(In TN, but near Blore) and Chennai.They have facilities in Bhandara(MH) and Alwar(Raj) too.All the have in blore is a regional office.For more info, please visit www.ashokleyland.com.
Old 4th April 2006, 23:05   #28
BWN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram
Ashok Leyland is located at Ambattur, Chennai. They also have a manufacturing facility at Hosur in Tamilnadu, not Bangalore as you mentioned. Volvo is in Bangalore.
Isn't it in Ennore,Chennai...???
Old 4th April 2006, 23:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hosur is also the home of
  • TVS-Suzuki 2 wheelers
  • TATRA Trucks
  • HM-Power Plus
and numerous suppliers.
Old 4th April 2006, 23:59   #30
BHPian

chennai for auto...bangalore for IT
Closed Thread