Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 09:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hike in Kerala Road Tax

Come April 1st new buyers will have to pay more for cars with a new slab system in place in Kerala.

For cars upto price Rs.5 Lakhs road tax is 6%
5L to 10 L - 8%
10L to 15L - 10%
above 15 L - 15%

Also putting a Times of India link which elaborates on the subject -
Cars to get expensive - Times Of India

(Mods - I am not sure if this is to be posted elsewhere - I did search. Please shift if required)
wilful is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 10:31   #2
BHPian

Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

Looks like Kerala decided to take a leaf out of Karnataka's road taxation rules. Still the tax rates in Kerala are way better than the Karnataka road tax rates. Reminds me; when they recently announced a proposal for a uniform road tax PAN India, I hope they were not suggesting to copy the Karnataka model.
Old 26th March 2012, 11:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think this is going to be good for some cars and bad for some others in the same segment because, if I'm not mistaken, the current tax system is based on engine CC. Cars above 1500cc pay 8% and cars below that pay 6%.

So, for eg: currently the Chevy Cruze owner has to pay higher road tax than an Altis diesel owner, although both cars cost about the same. Now, both cars have the same tax rate. So it's going to affect the OTR of Altis diesel more than the Cruze. Same holds in the C-segment as well where the Vento and the Linea owners paid 8% and 6% tax respectively for their new cars. Of course, the Linea has no variant costing >10L - so it doesn't matter much for Linea. But, the Vento will now be even more expensive when compared to the Linea.

Looks like the govt has decided to pinch all car owners because a few are refusing to pay toll for newly built 4-lane roads.

Last edited by StarrySky : 26th March 2012 at 11:58.
Old 26th March 2012, 15:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Come April 1st new buyers will have to pay more for cars with a new slab system in place in Kerala.

For cars upto price Rs.5 Lakhs road tax is 6%
5L to 10 L - 8%
10L to 15L - 10%
above 15 L - 15%

Also putting a Times of India link which elaborates on the subject -
Cars to get expensive - Times Of India

(Mods - I am not sure if this is to be posted elsewhere - I did search. Please shift if required)
What was the previous taxation slabs?
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 15:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
What was the previous taxation slabs?
If my memory is correct, it is based on Engine capacity.
less than 1500 cc - 6%
More than 1500 cc - 8%
vinodv001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 19:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

First, the taxation based on the engine capacity is adam's age system. Several high priced cars have a lower CC than their less priced counterparts.

With these higher taxes, hope they fix the roads in Kerala. Some of the main roads are in pathetic shape.
Old 27th March 2012, 09:49   #7
BHPian

Now we can see 'BATA' style prices on cars soon.

FOr Example Price of the All new Venta 9,99,999
Beat - Rs. 4,99,999 etc etc
Old 27th March 2012, 14:07   #8
BHPian

Wow 6%! You were paying half of what we pay here at Hyderabad - 12.5% (or is it 14.5% now?! )

Is it just me or do I see a slew of tax increases across the nation in every state?
Old 27th March 2012, 15:15   #9
BHPian

^^ True. The trend seems to be uniform across the states, barring a couple of important items in a couple of states (VAT on fuel in Goa!). Truly bad days ahead for the motoring world.
Old 27th March 2012, 15:38   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Now we can see 'BATA' style prices on cars soon.

FOr Example Price of the All new Venta 9,99,999
Beat - Rs. 4,99,999 etc etc
Chances are pretty low. And that's because the ex showroom prices are NOT constant in all states. From what I remember it's ONLY Mitsubishi which has a ONE INDIA Price system. But what you said makes a lot of sense, a mere Rs. 1000/- can save cash in the range of 20,000/-! Atleast till now I have NOT seen companies taking effort to do this favor for customers, so I doubt that's going to happen in future as well.
Old 27th March 2012, 15:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
But what you said makes a lot of sense, a mere Rs. 1000/- can save cash in the range of 20,000/-! Atleast till now I have NOT seen companies taking effort to do this favor for customers, so I doubt that's going to happen in future as well.
It might force them to, if a direct competitor has a ~20K price advantage due to difference in taxation. They might lose 4-5K on the ex-showroom price, but might save 12-15K on discounts offered. It's better to have customer paying less to the govt than to have the customer paying less to you
Old 27th March 2012, 16:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

After all KL is now Congress ruled, so why should they not follow the tax and squander route. The Central budget is also a harsh one - the taxes are 10x the give aways.
Old 27th March 2012, 16:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
^^ True. The trend seems to be uniform across the states, barring a couple of important items in a couple of states (VAT on fuel in Goa!). Truly bad days ahead for the motoring world.
maybe a cut in petrol prices or some kind of rationalisation is due and states are taking advance measures for preventing severe drop in revenue.
Old 27th March 2012, 16:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
... Atleast till now I have NOT seen companies taking effort to do this favor for customers, so I doubt that's going to happen in future as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
.... It's better to have customer paying less to the govt than to have the customer paying less to you
Necessity, as they say, is the mother of all inventions, and these are troubled times. In fact, I always wondered why Car companies never resorted to these methods - sell just the bare bones car, and most other things fitted as accessories at the dealer (like bicycles). Alloys alone can bring down the cost by atleast 50k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
maybe a cut in petrol prices or some kind of rationalisation is due and states are taking advance measures for preventing severe drop in revenue.
Fat chance mate! They have to give petrol free to compensate for the increase in tax elsewhere if they intend to
Old 27th March 2012, 17:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Necessity, as they say, is the mother of all inventions, and these are troubled times. In fact, I always wondered why Car companies never resorted to these methods - sell just the bare bones car, and most other things fitted as accessories at the dealer (like bicycles). Alloys alone can bring down the cost by atleast 50k.
They do that even now. But, just for eg:, Fiat alloys cost ~9.5K per wheel. How many people opt for this? Most people who fit alloys on Fiat cars that came without them buy it from outside at about half the cost. So isn't it better for Fiat to add alloys to the car for maybe 35K extra take more "guaranteed" money from the customer?

I think optional extras make sense only if customers can source it only from the manufacturer. In the current scenario in India, even ABS/Airbags are really such optional extras.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed