Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2015, 12:54   #136
BHPian

Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
huracan.lp580, was your review for the Grand Cherokee or the Cherokee?

Understand that the GC is primarily rear-wheel drive, if I am not mistaken.
It was for the Cherokee, not the GC. I couldn't find any threads dedicated to the Cherokee, so I posted it here..
Old 18th December 2015, 05:14   #137
BHPian

Didn't get a chance to take pictures during daylight as I am busy with my final exams. Still attaching a few pictures that I took in a rush today..
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-img_0105.jpg  

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-img_0117.jpg  

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-img_0104.jpg  

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-img_0118.jpg  

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-img_0103.jpg  

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-img_0109.jpg  

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-img_0111.jpg  

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-img_0112.jpg  

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-img_0113.jpg  

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-img_0114.jpg  

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-img_0115.jpg  

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-img_0116.jpg  

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-img_0119.jpg  

huracan.lp580 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 16:25   #138
Team-BHP Support

Jeep has unveiled its pre-launch website for India. The brand will be officially launched in the country in February 2016.

The website gives us a glimpse of the Grand Cherokee, Grand Cherokee SRT and Wrangler Unlimited models. The company is planning to showcase its entire model line-up for India at the Delhi Auto Expo in February 2016.

Click here to visit the Jeep India website: www.jeep-india.com

Potential customers can also engage with the brand on other digital platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to learn more about the different models.

Initially, Jeep is expected to bring its models into India through the CBU route. The company could start local assembly of its vehicles later. In July this year, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) announced its plans to invest $280 million to expand its manufacturing facility in Ranjangaon, near Pune for the assembly of Jeep models. The plant is expected to start rolling out Jeep vehicles in 2017.

FCA is also likely to use a separate dealership network to sell Jeep vehicles.
Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 16:43   #139
BHPian

The Jeep legacy

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-desktopmobile02background011x.jpg

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-desktopmobile03background011x.jpg

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-desktopmobile04background011x.jpg

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-desktopmobile05background011x.jpg

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-desktopmobile06background011x.jpg

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-desktopmobile07background011x.jpg

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-desktopmobile08overlandbackground011x.jpg

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-desktopmobile08srtbackground011x.jpg

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-desktopmobile09wranglerbackground011x.jpg

Source: jeep-india.com
Karthik Chandra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 19:26   #140
BHPian

Very surprised to see that the Renegade is not included in the Jeep India website. Thought that would be the one they would be showcasing the most, seeing as it is the cheapest in their global lineup, and would probably drive the most volumes for them here, but as usual, Fiat's marketing strategy is a little baffling to say the least.

Offroading enthusiasts all over India must be smacking their lips, waiting for the Wrangler. I think that the Grand Cherokee looks great too. The SRT version in particular with that massive 6.4 liter V8 under the hood, its a monster engine which sounds mesmerizing, and proper american muscle!

The key factor, and I'm sure that anyone with interest in these vehicles would agree, is definitely going to be the pricing. Would be very interesting to see how Fiat does on this factor, although they are known for pricing their cars well already, I hope they don't get carried away, and do price them sensibly

I wish them all the best with the launch of Jeep in India, and hope that they do well with this brand, as it has a lot of heritage which they can capitalize on

Last edited by Joxster : 30th December 2015 at 19:29.
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 22:03   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
...Fiat's marketing strategy is a little baffling to say the least.
Exactly. There is almost no point to quickly implement sales.

Quote:
The key factor, and I'm sure that anyone with interest in these vehicles would agree, is definitely going to be the pricing. Would be very interesting to see how Fiat does on this factor, although they are known for pricing their cars well already, I hope they don't get carried away, and do price them sensibly
Pricing for the CBUs of GC is reportedly 65-70L, which is pretty ridiculous for a non-premium brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Jeep has unveiled its pre-launch website for India. The brand will be officially launched in the country in February 2016.
Too little, too late.

I had been badgering them to allow us to buy a GC, but they were obviously not interested/not ready - even though that there will really be no market for this very expensive vehicle in India.

In addition, I am looking at the latest versions driving around me right now - and they are not really spectacular - in fact, they are a bit dated as far as design is concerned.

Ground clearance is very minimal and for the Indian mindset/market, they have only 5 seats available, unlike the other offerings like Fortuner, Endeavour, etc.
Old 30th December 2015, 22:36   #142
BHPian

Not really a brand to buy if you like peace of mind. Poor quality, repeated failures, and incompetent dealers (probably just where I live), add to that the lack of extended warranty, even though I'm willing to pay.

Never ever putting my money in the FCA brand again.
rg_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 03:37   #143
Senior - BHPian

Are they launching the SRT version of the Grand Cherokee? Because they seem to have imported one example and that too in October!
Any spottings of this mammoth?
Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1451513258.803399.jpg
Old 31st December 2015, 04:11   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
Are they launching the SRT version of the Grand Cherokee? Because they seem to have imported one example and that too in October!
Any spottings of this mammoth?
That was reportedly imported for the Auto Expo - as per Fiat-Chysler India.

Edited to Add: Actually, probably not that particular one (most likely, but one cannot tell) - but they will have one on show...

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy : 31st December 2015 at 04:12.
Old 31st December 2015, 12:26   #145
BANNED

Mahindra designers caught pants down for copying TUV300 front grille
Old 31st December 2015, 14:06   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very surprised to see that the Renegade is not included in the Jeep India website. Thought that would be the one they would be showcasing the most, seeing as it is the cheapest in their global lineup, and would probably drive the most volumes for them here, but as usual, Fiat's marketing strategy is a little baffling to say the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Exactly. There is almost no point to quickly implement sales.

Pricing for the CBUs of GC is reportedly 65-70L, which is pretty ridiculous for a non-premium brand.

Quote:
The key factor, and I'm sure that anyone with interest in these vehicles would agree, is definitely going to be the pricing.

I hope they don't get carried away, and do price them sensibly
There you answer your own query. Cheapest models brought in through CBU feel the most expensive. For the CBU route, it is best to bring in the premium/luxury/costlier models.
How can you price the cheapest model (internationally) sensibly by bringing it in through CBU?

In any case, if their pricing is anywhere closer to the German Trio SUV's (Audi/Merc/BMW), I do not think they will sell even marginal numbers. I guess Fiat themselves are thinking the same. They cannot bring it in CBU and price them cheaper too.
In all probability, it is just a brand building exercise.

Their cheapest Grand Cherokee retails 31000 USD - approx 2,100,000 INR and since it is CBU - make it 4,200,000.
The costliest retails around 62000 USD - approx 4,200,000 INR and CBU ~ 8,400,000. And it is this that is being brought in.

The base engine is a 295-hp 3.6-liter V-6; a V-8, 6.4 liter is optional.
Premium Unleaded V-8, 6.4 L : 62000 USD

I am not sure who's going to pay that kind of money for the Jeep

PS: One thing for sure, they cannot sell even 1 in NCR , assuming the ban continues beyond March 2016 (all have engines > 2000 cc).

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 31st December 2015 at 14:22.
Old 31st December 2015, 14:44   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

The base engine is a 295-hp 3.6-liter V-6; a V-8, 6.4 liter is optional.
Premium Unleaded V-8, 6.4 L : 62000 USD

I am not sure who's going to pay that kind of money for the Jeep

PS: One thing for sure, they cannot sell even 1 in NCR , assuming the ban continues beyond March 2016 (all have engines > 2000 cc).
It's worthy to point out that the engines referred to above are petrol and not diesel, if I'm not mistaken.

The regulation on registration in the NCR region applies only to diesel SUVs for the time being.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 15:18   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It's worthy to point out that the engines referred to above are petrol and not diesel, if I'm not mistaken.

The regulation on registration in the NCR region applies only to diesel SUVs for the time being.
I had the same doubt, that these would most probably be petrol engines (since I referred the details from a US site) but I was not completely sure. More so because no one has yet dared to bring such monstrous Petrol engines to India. If there are already (apart from being in the super cars) then they for sure do not sell, because we do not buy Gasoline in Gallons, but Petrol in Liters.

How many would put 8+ million INR on an SUV with a 6 liter 8 cylinder petrol engine? This figure will not cross 3 digits in an entire year.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 31st December 2015 at 15:20.
Old 31st December 2015, 16:20   #149
BHPian

There is a very recent import, the Renegade with a diesel heart

Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-import.jpg
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 16:22   #150
Senior - BHPian

BTW the 2.0 MJD is only 1956cc, so after the Skoda Yeti & Volvo XC90, another Euro passes the Supreme Court Delhi pollution 'smell test'.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks