Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 19:15   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki to launch new Swift DZire in February

Maruti replaced old Wagon-R with a more sleeker new model but with reduced boot, and selling more than the car that it replaced.
Then they replaced old Swift with a more sleeker new model but with reduced boot, and selling more than the car that it replaced.
Now they are planning to replace old DZire with a more sleeker new model but with reduced boot, and may be hoping to sell it more than the car that it replaces!!!
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 19:43   #107
BHPian

Given the DZire's shining track-record in the Ugliness department, I must say, the newer version is all set to establish an all new standard. Congrats Maruti, I appreciate the value for money and built to expectations, but seriously, would it hurt to look around a little bit for inspiration?

Having said that, this product does look like something that's unlikely to cannibalize the SX4, which means possibly more SX4 sales, especially the diesel engine.

People are gonna have to carry an Air-sickness bag once they launch this model on our streets!

Last edited by Fornax : 18th January 2012 at 19:45.
Old 18th January 2012, 20:12   #108
BHPian

Checked the Maruti website for older Dzire price and 'no surprise' they now show only the diesel prices.
Going through the recent reports, it seems they'll keep the old Dzire for taxi market and new Dzire to be youngster's first sedan.
Time for Mahindra to launch <4m verito with a real price cut, however they won't benefit since Maruti has a better engine (i mean K series).

New Dzire will be another overbooked product in few months.
Old 18th January 2012, 20:22   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The new Dzire & old one are different though they have similar looks. So the company would NOT mind making some money out of the old one thru the taxi market. And again it will be that the Old Dzire will be available ONLY in L trim and the new one in V & Z trims. And this should be seen as the differentiation factor. For other companies, they still are NOT producing 2 versions and most of them are in their first year and they may NOT want to ruin the brand reputation. Dzire has already built a strong brand with in private buyers; so some extra taxis would not hurt Maruti at all. Dzire private-taxi ratio should be 80-20 or more in favor of private owners.
The cars maybe different but the brand is the same. So I feel the image will take a hit. And it is not like MSIL is desperate for numbers with the DZire DDiS. Actually, it is the other way round. They are not being able to make enough. So why do such antics to boost volume when there is a serious capacity constraint?

And with the way MSIL is increasing the prices of their Diesel models lately, I think they can no longer afford to have long waiting periods for the cars.

Quote:
I would say SX4 sales declined because it simply doesn't feel up to the mark with rest of the players from the same segment. And if someone wants to buy a car in the SX4 range, I don't think they will settle for new Dzire. Am sure the people with that budget will settle for somethng else from the segment. Remember, SX4 does have a status symbol attached to it [required for most of the owners looking at that segment] than Dzire which has the tag - "Budget sedan".
Sure, the SX4 has more serious competitors which makes it look a very average car. But there are a lot of buyers in the market who wouldn't look beyond a Maruti Diesel sedan if possible. And I feel the old DZire with its practicality and cost savings (when compared to the SX4) gave those customers a choice which they just couldn't ignore.

Now with that modest boot, the new DZire is going to make a lot of them hard pressed to go back to a proper sedan. And I feel the SX4 is to gain from all this if the old DZire is discontinued.
Old 18th January 2012, 20:58   #110
Senior - BHPian

mods i am not sure if this has been shared before. I just noticed that Zigwheel seem to have the first drive of new dzire.

Take a look New Swift Dzire: First Drive Page - 1| Zigwheels.com

the rear looks horrible!!!! front though looks different from new swift
Old 18th January 2012, 21:07   #111
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure if continuing to sell the old Dzire in L-trim is a good idea. It's not as if it's a darling of the taxi segment. I don't know about other cities, but in Cochin/Kerala, most taxi sedans are Indigo or Manza or Logan. I've spotted very few Dzire taxis. Most of the Dzire LDi's I see are privately owned.

Given that, how would a prospective buyer see the new Dzire? Either he can pay less and get a sedan with a slightly larger boot (space) - or he can pay more and get a sedan with a smaller boot (space) than the L-trim Dzire.

If Maruti doesn't price the new Dzire well, we could see a repeat of Fiesta Classic v/s New Ford Fiesta with the old and new Dzires.

I also don't see the L-trim Dzire becoming a darling of the taxi segment overnight unless there are drastic price cuts. But such price cuts could hurt the Swift more than anything else.
Old 18th January 2012, 21:43   #112
BHPian

Well, Is New Dzire a sedan???
I do not think so, since it looks like a big hatch, that's all.

Manza and Etios are better VFM vehicles IMO. Dzire does not fall in VFM category anymore.

Also, giving a swift with a boot (since Swift does not have a boot ), at a much higher price, is not a great idea!

I think Jazz is a way better product if you wanna buy a big petrol feature laden Car. i am sure Jazz would have much more interior space than the Dzire.

Only in diesel, it may sell well (That too because of Maruti's stature).
mayank10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 21:47   #113
Team-BHP Support

There are two reasons why the new Dzire CS will sell:

- It's a Maruti

- It has a diesel engine.
Old 18th January 2012, 22:00   #114
BHPian

^ And it doesn't have a direct competitor from Hyundai,Honda or even VW !
Old 18th January 2012, 23:31   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
There are two reasons why the new Dzire CS will sell:

- It's a Maruti

- It has a diesel engine.
reasonable price, service network, resale value....
Old 18th January 2012, 23:38   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgev View Post
reasonable price, service network, resale value....
Doesn't the word 'Maruti' sum-up all of that?

EDIT: BTW, I'm not sure how reasonable the price of the new CS will be. Going by some of the posts, Maruti has decided to NOT pass on the tax-benefits to its customers. So they will be making a fat profit on every unit they sell. Also, a brand new top-end Swift diesel costs 8-8.5 lakhs or so in Bangalore (OTR). Going by that, the CS should be around 9 lakhs? I don't see any value in a diesel Swift with an apology for a boot @ 9 lakhs a pop. Sorry.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th January 2012 at 23:42.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 00:40   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, a brand new top-end Swift diesel costs 8-8.5 lakhs or so in Bangalore (OTR). Going by that, the CS should be around 9 lakhs? I don't see any value in a diesel Swift with an apology for a boot @ 9 lakhs a pop. Sorry.
Currently the Swift ZDi & Dzire ZDi are priced at a gap of 65,000/- Ex Showroom, Delhi. It used to be a 1L difference [when Dzire was launched for the first time] if I am not wrong. Now they have managed to bring it down to 65K. If they maintain the same price, then it looks OK. Charging a 1L premium for this car over Swift ZDi is stupidity. High time that we get some price comparo charts for similar cars from the same segments.

Edit:: I found something funny! If Maruti decided to pass on the tax benefits for Dzire, then this car will be cheaper than Swift!!

Dzire ZDi Delhi price is 7,29,899/- . Assuming the tax savings is a 12% and expecting a 10% to be passed on, the savings will be 72,000/- which makes the price of Dzire - 6,57,899/-. Current Swift ZDi price = 6,65,021/-. Do we get a glimpse of the kind of profit Maruti will make with the new Dzire?!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th January 2012 at 00:46.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 09:44   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Dzire ZDi Delhi price is 7,29,899/- . Assuming the tax savings is a 12% and expecting a 10% to be passed on, the savings will be 72,000/- which makes the price of Dzire - 6,57,899/-. Current Swift ZDi price = 6,65,021/-. Do we get a glimpse of the kind of profit Maruti will make with the new Dzire?!
On the other hand it also does give you a glimpse of the amount of profit Maruti is making on every Swift sold?
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 10:04   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't the word 'Maruti' sum-up all of that?

EDIT: BTW, I'm not sure how reasonable the price of the new CS will be. Going by some of the posts, Maruti has decided to NOT pass on the tax-benefits to its customers. So they will be making a fat profit on every unit they sell. Also, a brand new top-end Swift diesel costs 8-8.5 lakhs or so in Bangalore (OTR). Going by that, the CS should be around 9 lakhs? I don't see any value in a diesel Swift with an apology for a boot @ 9 lakhs a pop. Sorry.
yes i do agree on the price , with the recent increase maruthi is sailing away from the peoples car image, they are trying to capitalise on the image gained by the swift brand, wish toyota bring a better looking Ethios with better fittings . which are the other options we have in diesel hatch..Polo, Fabia..?
georgev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 11:41   #120

I believe there will be some level of Tax benefits passed on to the Dzire customer. Maruti generally starts with a reasonable pricing and later after their product placement in market they increases the price.

Overall price will definitely be higher than corresponding Swift model and little less than current Dzire prices
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks