Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2013, 14:56   #226

Chevorlet SUV Spotted Testing in OOTY

Saw this SUV testing in hills of ooty recently with a lot of instrumentation on board, Any one knows more kindly share info.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-2012122416.12.14.jpg  

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-2012122416.12.05.jpg  

susudi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 17:32   #227
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Rushlane have reported recent sighting of the Enjoy in Mumbai, where they have managed to snap the interiors as well (23 pics overall). Here's the report:

http://www.rushlane.com/chevrolet-en...g-1256810.html

The MUV appears quite spacious in all 3 rows, & the interiors seem good.
Wow it surely looks very spacious in all 3 rows. Also seems to be having a choice in second row(2 or 3 seats). There is no pic capturing bootspace, but looking at rear view, i assume it is similar to Innova.
Old 23rd January 2013, 19:18   #228
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

With Innova rivalling space on the interior I'm just awestruck by the sheer prowess of the 1.3 Multijet diesel in propelling a vehicle of this dimensions. Before someone starts reminding me how a small displacement engine can handle such a vehicle, it is important to remember it's not the displacement (cc) but the output from that displacement that makes all the difference! I'm sure the 1.3 Multijet shines in this regard with its multifaceted personality! Will sure love to hear about the performance of this powertrain in the Enjoy!
Old 29th January 2013, 19:47   #229
Senior - BHPian

Re: General Motors to launch Enjoy by year end

Chevy will launch the Chevrolet Enjoy MPV in March or April.

The Chevrolet Enjoy competes with the Maruti Ertiga and Mahindra Xylo.
It relies on the 1.3-liter Fiat diesel engine, without a VGT, to turn its wheels. The transmission duties will be handled by a 5-speed manual gearbox.

The Enjoy is originally a Chinese van sold as the Hongguang, developed by SAIC-GM-Wuling JV. The product is about three years old now and has gone in for a facelift in China.

In India we won’t get the updated model this year.

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2013/01/c...by-april-61861
Old 30th January 2013, 19:16   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Chevy will launch the Chevrolet Enjoy MPV in March or April.

In India we won’t get the updated model this year.

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2013/01/c...by-april-61861
In India, we don't usually see a facelift every year like manufacturers do in some other markets. Perhaps if they did launch the Enjoy this year and do a face lift the following year with, perhaps, a new grille, they would get a boost in sales from the face lift. However, introducing the new model would enable them to manufacture the vehicle for cheaper owing to the standardization across all markets. Either approach seems strategic, in my opinion.
Old 31st January 2013, 13:10   #231
BHPian

seating arrangement of 2+2+3? that means captain seats like Innova...sounds good to me. it would atleast help release some leg space for the middle occupant in the third row who otherwise in the Ertiga is sandwiched fro all ends. it would also help access the third row better.
Old 5th February 2013, 10:57   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Trial production begins, launch is in April!

Chevy Enjoy would get two seating configurations – 2+3+3 and 2+2+3 – and would continue with the same 1.3L diesel engine seen on the Sail, sporting FGT (Fixed Geometry Turbocharger) technology.

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/02/g...esterday-62429
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 11:21   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Trial production begins, launch is in April!

Chevy Enjoy would get two seating configurations – 2+3+3 and 2+2+3 – and would continue with the same 1.3L diesel engine seen on the Sail, sporting FGT (Fixed Geometry Turbocharger) technology.

[/url]
FGT probably cause it allows for competitive pricing. But how much of an impact will it have on the FE as compared to the VGT?

Am seriously wondering if in spite of such changes, the Enjoy is going to be able to match the feature list of Ertiga even if its priced the same. The SAIL twins have been a huge disappointment in that sense and the sales charts show it too.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 11:40   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
FGT probably cause it allows for competitive pricing. But how much of an impact will it have on the FE as compared to the VGT?
Not much of an impact, although VGT is supposed to be more efficient in theory and ARAI test figures, the FE difference in day-to-day driving is marginal. Perhaps it is 0.1-0.2 kmpl or something in that range, hardly noticeable. What I am more interested in is how sluggish the FGT 75bhp version of the engine would turn out to be, in hauling the high load of a MUV + passengers, especially considering the way Indian MUVs are (over)loaded. Maybe they are going to tune the FGT version for more low-end grunt since it will primarily be used in urban/semi-urban environments.

On the pricing side, I expect them to undercut the Ertiga. We can only wait and watch for the final pricing.

Last edited by KarthikK : 5th February 2013 at 11:45.
Old 5th February 2013, 12:01   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
On the pricing side, I expect them to undercut the Ertiga. We can only wait and watch for the final pricing.
There are two aspects to undercutting Ertiga.

- If Enjoy is more spacious compared to Ertiga (like Nissan Evalia), then the requirement to undercut can be a bit relaxed. In that case, then even I would doubt how a 75bhp engine can haul the load
- If Enjoy is similar to the size of Ertiga, then in all probablity, they need to undercut Ertiga. Customer would need some reason to get away from Maruti.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 12:14   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

75 bhp for an MUV? Doesn't sound great. People feel Ertiga could do better with a powerful engine and here we have GM providing an even lower tune for an MPV. Let's see how it performs on road & sales charts too.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 12:18   #237
BHPian

With every Tom, Dick and SAIC launching a new MPV or SUV, it makes me wonder where Tata went wrong and how they've gone so far behind the competition.

M&M is at least keeping up for the most part. But it's just disheartening to see the Tatas fall so badly behind. They've gone from Truck makers to Taxi makers and seem very happy with staying put there.

I guess that's the awesome thing about bringing in competition - you either pull your socks up or end up getting spanked.
joey645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 12:35   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey645 View Post
M&M is at least keeping up for the most part. But it's just disheartening to see the Tatas fall so badly behind. They've gone from Truck makers to Taxi makers and seem very happy with staying put there.
The Problem is that Tata products dont have enough takers to break even. Aria, even for 11 lacs on-road has seen very few takers including taxi segment. Same is the case with Grande. There are far more Xylos on the road than Grande. I also hear from an insider that Tatas are yet to break-even on the Aria Investment, forget profit.

On the other hand, even the sonalika powered Tavera is doing decent numbers, needless to say Ertiga and Xylo. Tata would be best if they could spend money on quality and reliability instead of testing new products.

Since Tavera sells well, it makes a good business-case to present to GM Senior Management and get funding approved for another MPV (Enjoy).

Last edited by scopriobharath : 5th February 2013 at 12:40.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 12:43   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
The Problem is that Tata products dont have enough takers to break even. Aria, even for 11 lacs on-road has seen very few takers including taxi segment. Same is the case with Grande. There are far more Xylos on the road than Grande. I also hear from an insider that Tatas are yet to break-even on the Aria Investment, forget profit.

Tata would be best if they could spend money on quality and reliability instead of testing new products.
(Enjoy).
, but having said that, Tata also needs to drastically overhaul their R&D. You just won't get away with sticking to old boxy designs in a market where everyone is not just looking for the next "new best thing" but also the next "new fresh thing"

I test drove the Aria, and while it has tonnes of power and really good features, at the end of the day, it still felt like I was driving a van. That, and the known issues with service and quality really killed my interest in the Aria.
joey645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 12:49   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There are two aspects to undercutting Ertiga.

- If Enjoy is more spacious compared to Ertiga (like Nissan Evalia), then the requirement to undercut can be a bit relaxed. In that case, then even I would doubt how a 75bhp engine can haul the load
- If Enjoy is similar to the size of Ertiga, then in all probablity, they need to undercut Ertiga. Customer would need some reason to get away from Maruti.
I know Chevy is no Nissan so Enjoy just might do far better than the Evalia. Esp given how the Tavera still sells.
But lately, Chevy products aren't cutting much with individual customers. One is because they lack the features for the price that we are now getting so used to. Second is cause they look dated, no matter how spacious & functional they are. Third, the indian customer exactly knows what he wants as features. Providing them with what they dont look for while cutting the ones that are expected doesnt work.

So the question is:
- Will Enjoy work even if its spacious compared to Ertiga and priced the same sans the features (ala SAIL)?
- Will Enjoy work even if its the same size as Ertiga but priced lower?

In both the cases, maybe in the taxi market but then it will mostly eat into Tavera sales. But as overall package, how many of us will buy a Tavera replacement? Space isn't a feature or USP any more unfortunately - Indigo/Indica (and man they are loaded now) & SAIL being the examples that come right away to my mind. How will chevy position it really is what am thinking of.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 5th February 2013 at 12:51.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks