Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 18:43   #481
Senior - BHPian

re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

[quote=chevelle;2319110]None of the honda's competitors viz Toyota, Hyundai, mitsu have a diesel in USA since its not a diesel market. Only VW has diesel which is again a very niche market in USA. Move to Europe and you will see reversal of roles. Honda does have a 2.2 diesel in their pockets. They can downsize it and make smaller diesel engines from that if required in order to be competitive. So they can use it in civic, city and use 2.2 in accord and crv to get competitive edge.

@Chevelle I was not referring to the USA as being a Diesel Market and yes you are right all the competitors mentioned sell there Petrols in large numbers there. You can find a Hyundai, Toyota or a VW pretty much everywhere in the world and the penetration levels are amazing (owing to product line up and petrol/diesel options) but you cannot say that for Honda. Honda hasnt launched the Odyssey, Pilot etc in India because they are all petrol and wont sell in our country.

I still stick to my statement of Honda being a Niche Player. Toyota you are correct were small like Honda, but sir they took a decision to go global and extend there lineup to pretty much every category, Honda hasnt as yet. (Hyundai is following Toyotas strategy as well).

i
Old 19th April 2011, 19:16   #482
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

yes chevelle I appreciate your points made.
nik - yes i endorse what you say too.

Honda could be a little more attuned to listening to market needs overall because they are after all serving this market like they serve others.
Like that old IBM ad - it is not about selling what you have, its about selling what the customer wants! Many manufacturers not only Honda, would do well if they worked towards this dictum.
Old 19th April 2011, 19:25   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
@Chevelle I was not referring to the USA as being a Diesel Market and yes you are right all the competitors mentioned sell there Petrols in large numbers there. You can find a Hyundai, Toyota or a VW pretty much everywhere in the world and the penetration levels are amazing (owing to product line up and petrol/diesel options) but you cannot say that for Honda. Honda hasnt launched the Odyssey, Pilot etc in India because they are all petrol and wont sell in our country.

I still stick to my statement of Honda being a Niche Player. Toyota you are correct were small like Honda, but sir they took a decision to go global and extend there lineup to pretty much every category, Honda hasnt as yet. (Hyundai is following Toyotas strategy as well).
If they want to they can install diesel engine in Pilot and Odyssey and sell it. No one is stopping. OTOH, it will open a new segment of minivans which is not yet heard of in India. Get Pilot with a diesel and it will make a good 50 lakhs 7-seater SUV considering it will be a CBU.

Honda is a regular in India since its been here for ages. Honda is already going global with its Indian based products but its slow. If you compare Toyota and Honda they both have equal amount of cars in each segment save for etios. So they are at par with each other. One is taking baby steps (honda) other one is taking adult steps (toyota).

I am not sure what your definition of niche player is, but for me it would be costlier brands viz maserati, aston martin, porsche and likes. They can be termed niche player since they have very low volumes. Its certainly not the case with Honda. If you consider 5000 units of 10-lakh City a month to be niche, then i have nothing to say except you got the definition wrong.

Hyundai is following more on Honda's strategy in India especially for higher segment(read 10+ lakhs market). They launched Santa Fe at par with CRV. I think their sonata a.k.a i45 will be priced at par with accord rather than with camry and new elantra when launch will easily breach civic's price bracket.

Last edited by chevelle : 19th April 2011 at 19:26.
Old 19th April 2011, 20:05   #484
Team-BHP Support

Interesting points. But I am also a bit puzzled with the definition of Honda as a niche player

Thinking in another viewpoint here - on the question, why Honda is not trying to penetrate the market, or go agressive in the likes of say, Toyota. Maybe the answer is that Honda doesn't have the means to go aggressive - compared to Toyota, VAG or Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Hyundai is following more on Honda's strategy in India especially for higher segment(read 10+ lakhs market). They launched Santa Fe at par with CRV. I think their sonata a.k.a i45 will be priced at par with accord rather than with camry and new elantra when launch will easily breach civic's price bracket.
Yes, and I think thats not really a wise move by the Koreans. They are so used to play the price advantage in every other markets, but I guess in India suddenly they started feeling that they should realign as a premium player. It will be interesting to see if that will work for them.
Old 21st April 2011, 23:43   #485
R17
BHPian

With the new Jetta due to come in soon, I am hoping there will be some generous discounts available on the current model. However, my limited interactions with dealers in Mumbai leads me to believe that currently VW is only offering free Insurance + a small cash discount (10-20k max).

I definitely believe there is scope for higher discounts for the soon to be discontinued model. Does anyone have a better idea of the best possible discounts for the Jetta ? Also, would like to get knowledgeable junta's views on when would be the right time to make a purchase to get the highest possible discounts.
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:33   #486
Senior - BHPian

A good time to get great deals is July. Start talking to the dealerships first week of July.
Then hold back when they call back stating the deal they are offering is not that great. If there is another VW dealer in your city than fantastic. Pit them against each other.
Finally getting them a bit desperate by the end of July. They will be bending backwards and hard pressed by then. Got a good deal on our civic during this time.
Also remember the best trick of them all. Waving the cheque book. Talk to thesales guy across the dealership table. Remove the brochure of the Jetta from your bag and by mistake your cheque book pops out too. The sales guy notices this. You tell him you are serious and have brought the booking amount with you.
Tell him to go speak to his senior for a better deal than what he has offered. Make sure the senior does not come to you at this point. The deal offered should improve by now. Its finally time for the last move. Tell him to get the senior to the table. Now.is the time to push for the smaller things like free accesories etc. This method almost always works.
You should be able to squeeze the best possible deal this way.
Hope this helps.
Wishing you the best. And go get the best deal possible.
Good luck!
Drive safe!
mdsaab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 07:52   #487
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
A good time to get great deals is July. Start talking to the dealerships first week of July.
Then hold back when they call back stating the deal they are offering is not that great. If there is another VW dealer in your city than fantastic. Pit them against each other.
Finally getting them a bit desperate by the end of July. They will be bending backwards and hard pressed by then. Got a good deal on our civic during this time.
Also remember the best trick of them all. Waving the cheque book. Talk to thesales guy across the dealership table. Remove the brochure of the Jetta from your bag and by mistake your cheque book pops out too. The sales guy notices this. You tell him you are serious and have brought the booking amount with you.
Tell him to go speak to his senior for a better deal than what he has offered. Make sure the senior does not come to you at this point. The deal offered should improve by now. Its finally time for the last move. Tell him to get the senior to the table. Now.is the time to push for the smaller things like free accesories etc. This method almost always works.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!
Drive safe!
Thanks Mdsaab . Yes, I will wait till July though I hope VW doesnt bring forth the launch of the new Jetta to a prior date.
Old 28th April 2011, 17:48   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Hope this helps.
Good luck!
Drive safe!
Thats awesome piece of advice. In my experience, it works towards end of Sept. (which is a quarter ending, albeit quite dull, for the inauspicious time (thanks to our religious belief).
Old 28th April 2011, 18:09   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Thats awesome piece of advice. In my experience, it works towards end of Sept. (which is a quarter ending, albeit quite dull, for the inauspicious time (thanks to our religious belief).
In fact the best time to buy is the "Shradh" time before Diwali. All Hindus desist from buying capital goods during that period. So persons from other religions can utilise the Hindu Superstition to get a good deal.
Old 28th April 2011, 19:27   #490
BHPian

Hyundai i20 prices have gone up by 4000/-. Just checked on the website, and called up the Sales advisor, and he said, they did not receive any update officially but the prices might be in effect from 1st of may.

Also, bluetooth is going to be standard in sports and asta model, and there will be no option of getting without bluetooth
Old 28th April 2011, 22:41   #491
Senior - BHPian

@aroy yes shradh definately is a good time to buy. most folks don't even visit the showrooms during this time.
@digitaldragon hmm sept will try that out. parents looking for a car around that time. but they may just go for it in July. as i am experienced with working out the best possible deal in July am hoping they are ready then.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:06   #492
BHPian

Now that the "Logan" has made way for the "Verito", can I expect decent deals on the "Logan"??
IIRC, there were already OK discounts on the Logan, so can I expect benefits to the tune of at least 50k?
Old 5th May 2011, 20:49   #493
BHPian

Guys,
I am planning on buying a Cruze LT. How much discount could I expect considering its selling very well? I was told apart from corporate discount of 10K, there is no other discount being offered.
Old 9th May 2011, 17:43   #494
e46
BHPian

B'lore Folks,
PLease inform me, if anyone among you is aware about any discounts/ offers for Alto/ K10?

Thanks,
Abhishek
Old 9th May 2011, 17:57   #495
BHPian

Last mnth my friend got K10 from Bimal. He got Idol, perfume, floor mats, Art leather seat covers, Body graphics at half the price and free anti rust treatment Dont no if they still have these offers

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
B'lore Folks,
PLease inform me, if anyone among you is aware about any discounts/ offers for Alto/ K10?

Thanks,
Abhishek

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks