Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: YOUR Car of the Year 2011?
Hyundai Eon 84 3.20%
Honda Brio 134 5.10%
Toyota Liva 35 1.33%
Maruti Swift 183 6.97%
Nissan Sunny 53 2.02%
Skoda Rapid 109 4.15%
Hyundai Verna 260 9.90%
Ford Fiesta 47 1.79%
Force One 18 0.69%
Mahindra XUV5OO 1487 56.63%
Renault Fluence 22 0.84%
Volkswagen Jetta 56 2.13%
Suzuki Kizashi 14 0.53%
Volkswagen Passat 23 0.88%
Renault Koleos 7 0.27%
Volvo S60 32 1.22%
Audi A6 62 2.36%
Voters: 2626. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 12:45   #226
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year 2011. EDIT : Mahindra XUV500 it is!!

Thanks GTO for the start.

My list of contenders:- H.Eon, H.Brio, S.Rapid, H.Verna, M.XUV.

Hyundai Eon - Cheaper at price but not cheaper at flesh. O.T: Looks like a re-worked Kia Picanto.
Honda Brio - Value for money tiny hatch from Honda that doesn't shout "I am cheap, I am cheap" like the other Japanese dubba did.
Skoda Rapid - Should give Skoda a sales number that their cars deserve, but should wait and watch. I personally dont like the new Fabia look on Rapid, the rest of the body suites better with the Vento's front.
Hyundai Verna - Amazing design though a restyled Avante. Poor suspension is what I heard negative about it.
Mahindra XUV - Simply a Brilliant package. Dont like the side profile though, somewhat odd compared to front and rear.

My vote went to Honda Brio, The Smart kid!

Note:- I haven't driven any of the cars listed till now, Just the Visual drive that Team-bhp gives than rest of the internet world.
Old 9th December 2011, 13:02   #227
BHPian

Was a tight decision for me boiling down to between MS New Swift and the XUV5OO. Swift because of the simple fact that it enabled Maruti to have ample confidence in it to upgrade and launch it with limited external modifications. And despite that, it is a super hit. It speaks volumes about its position of strength in the Indian market.

However, with XUV5OO, M&M has come of age really, it seems. It feels nice to see one home grown vehicle make other established international models look grossly overpriced in the SUV space. And doing a real good job of offerring real value/quality to the customers if all the discussions are anything to go by. (Though I have not had the opportunity to drive one till now). So, voted for it. XUV5OO for me.
Old 9th December 2011, 13:13   #228
BHPian

It was three choices for me: XUV5OO, New Swift and Skoda Rapid.

XUV5OO: M&M has really worked hard on this product - although there are a lot of initial niggles being reported, I am sure they will be addressed sooner than later. With the VFM price tag, its feature list, sweet engine, gear ratios, decent ride and great handling, this is my choice.

New Swift: For all the popularity it enjoys, the improved ride and handling and the better interiors and stronger build. But news around bad brakes on lower variants...

Skoda Rapid: I like most of the reported facts about this car, price tag included. If there was no XUV5OO, this would have been my pick...
Old 9th December 2011, 15:05   #229
Senior - BHPian

Voted for XUV5OO - for the simple reason of VFM in that segment of vehicles. Suddenly i feel like a decent SUV is within my reach
Old 9th December 2011, 16:37   #230
BHPian

Voted for XUV500.

XUV500 has taken the market by storm. It also get my vote b'coz it is one 4Wheeler that has elevated the quality from a manufacture many notches above its previous quality level. In addition, the entire package offered by XUV500 is most VFM in the list.

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 9th December 2011, 16:39   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Voted for XUV5OO - for the simple reason of VFM in that segment of vehicles. Suddenly i feel like a decent SUV is within my reach
I second this. I didn't TDed it. But Another Scorpio owner like me, tested it thoroughly, and he said this is the best vehicle offer to Indian drivers for the money they pay.

Hats off to M&M. If they increase the production and supply, some of the SUVs simply have to close their propositions.

It was only Verna and XUV 500 in the battle really with VFM to the customers and it was not hard to pick up XUV!

Last edited by agbenny : 9th December 2011 at 16:41.
Old 9th December 2011, 16:40   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Like most fellow TBHP-ians, I voted for the XUV500. Not that it is the best & greatest this year. But the impact it has had so far. A brand new vehicle, developed by M&M, booked-out in a flash. It does have it's niggles, but it's still better than others :

* The giants have released sensible cars, but these cars lack some basic stuff (Etios / Liva etc).
* There are some very good cars, but these are not creating the waves like the XUV is. And are mostly in the C+ /D segment.
* The Swift comes a very close second, but to me it's an improvement over an earlier version.

Something like the Nano .. the XUV is also a landmark in it's own right.

But just because I & most others voted it as the COTY, will I buy it ? No, not yet.

Last edited by condor : 9th December 2011 at 16:42.
Old 9th December 2011, 16:41   #233
BHPian

My Vote goes to two of them.

1. Skoda Rapid - For its very nimble presence and VFM with good build quality and realibile engine.

2. XUV500 - Obvious for its VFM packing with again a reliable Engine and contemporary design.
This really gave me a thought to think out of "Merlin world".
Hope it stays with its pricing for another year atleast.!
Old 9th December 2011, 16:44   #234
Senior - BHPian

Me too voted for XUV500.

I haven't TDed this vehicle nor got into this but the reviews and features make it clear that its a good VFM within reach. My brother is looking for this car as a replacement for his Xylo which clocked 110K kms. We are waiting for booking to reopen as the car is not available even if we pay some margin.

Last edited by coolclouds : 9th December 2011 at 16:45.
Old 9th December 2011, 16:49   #235
BHPian

I've voted for XUV500: the overall appealing package of the vehicle, price points, brand, market impact, few technical advancements that M&M has introduced.
Old 9th December 2011, 16:51   #236
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the XUV 5oo; amazing package on paper atleast as there are some niggles and complaints from a few new owners. Swift has been there and done that; not much of ground breaking upgrades/standards it has set with its new model. Probably the only standard it has set is its lousy 8 month waiting period.
Old 9th December 2011, 16:53   #237
Zed
BHPian

XUV on the basis that it generated an unprecedented buzz ( 'gamechanger' to borrow a cliche) and is the closest on this list that can claim to be a vehicle (engine and chassis) developed in India. I guess that entitles it to extra credits. Have not seen the vehicle in the flesh but have voted for it.
Old 9th December 2011, 16:59   #238
BHPian

This year's top contenders were XUV500, Skoda Rapid & Swift in the same order. Significance wrt timing of their launches, value proposition each one brought to the table and finally how well they have been received by target audience. Based on these parameters the Five Double O takes the cake hence voted for the same.
Old 9th December 2011, 17:07   #239
Team-BHP Support

Swift for Design: Hey MUL smartly streched the same basic car for another 3-5 years!
Rapid for VFM: a VW for less than the price of a simirlay equipped Skoda
and the M&M 500 just because it is nice to see an INDIAN manufacturer other than Tata socking it to the BIG boys.

Yeah the Sunny might have made it if it had a AT and oil-burner option.

In the end, in my opinion the VFM Rapid rules 2011. Despite horror stories about Skoda's A.S.S. it did sell. Talking of A.S.S being a Skoda owner I have seen some improvement there so maybe, just maybe the A.S.S was not such an issue for the Rapid.

Last edited by navin : 9th December 2011 at 17:10.
Old 9th December 2011, 17:08   #240
BHPian

My vote goes to Skoda Rapid. I was already in love with Vento Diesel and this one is even better. I wish it came with steering-mounted audio controls etc but I can live without those. This would be what I'd buy today if I were looking for a car in this price range.

I must say that I like the front part of Vento more than that of Rapid. So if they can bring the handling and NVH improvements from Rapid to Vento, Vento would be my top pick. But as of today, Rapid it is.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed