Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2011, 23:05   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Aria : 1.6 lakh discount + 40k exchange bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Now, You would wonder why? Government logic is simple here. Many a people try to save tax by showing heavy discounts on product which is fine for VAT calculations but Road Tax/Insurance doesn't work the same way. A tata aria bought by person 1 has equivalent liabilities to State government and road as one bought by person 2 but at a discount. In fact, most transport offices have price list of all vehicles fed into the system which automatically calculates taxes on the base of those prices.
Please help me understand the below scenario better.

Case 1: Honda Jazz Prices were reduced and so did the road tax and insurance. I saw a reduced road tax figure and insurance quote (Sorry dont have the numbers at hand now). So if Jazz was sold at discounted prices, the Road tax and insurance would still be at the old rate, which is not the case. The change has been amended somewhere.

Case 2: When manufacturers decide to hike prices (and do), do the road tax and insurance component remain the same ? Absolutely not. I have verified this with dealers of various manufacturers and they say that price increase/decrease reflects in road tax rates.

Case 3: When a model is upgraded/facelifted, the model name remains the same. Example when i went to the RTO, they treat 2003 Thunderbird motorcycle and 2011 Thunderbird motorcycle as the same. There has been a 40% increase in prices of motorcycle from 2003 to 2011. The increase has been amended somewhere in the RTO, as the road tax figures have also increased.

Experts - Please clarify here as i am really confused here.
Old 28th December 2011, 10:48   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Please help me understand the below scenario better.

Case 1: Honda Jazz Prices were reduced and so did the road tax and insurance. I saw a reduced road tax figure and insurance quote (Sorry dont have the numbers at hand now). So if Jazz was sold at discounted prices, the Road tax and insurance would still be at the old rate, which is not the case. The change has been amended somewhere.
Price reduction in Honda Jazz was not a discount but actual reduction in price. Discounts are short term and fluctuating while price reduction is more permanent. Tata still haven't declared the 1.6L discount to be permanent rather terming it a celebratory offer or 'anniversary' offer which means that once the 'celebrations' are over, Aria would resume selling at old price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Case 2: When manufacturers decide to hike prices (and do), do the road tax and insurance component remain the same ? Absolutely not. I have verified this with dealers of various manufacturers and they say that price increase/decrease reflects in road tax rates.

Case 3: When a model is upgraded/facelifted, the model name remains the same. Example when i went to the RTO, they treat 2003 Thunderbird motorcycle and 2011 Thunderbird motorcycle as the same. There has been a 40% increase in prices of motorcycle from 2003 to 2011. The increase has been amended somewhere in the RTO, as the road tax figures have also increased.

Experts - Please clarify here as i am really confused here.
As mentioned in Case 1, Price reductions / upgrades / facelifts etc are more permanent features of a vehicle and are reflected with change in Ex Showroom price (ESP) of the vehicle. If you were to visit Tata Aria website today and scroll down to prices webpage, you'll notice that ESP has not changed.

Now, if Tata wish to continue with this new discounted price and tomorrow decide to make it there actual ESP, Road Tax and Insurance would then automatically be calculated on the new ESP.
Old 28th December 2011, 11:28   #93
BHPian

ESP of Tata Aria on their website which is the bone of contention here

Tata Aria : 1.6 lakh discount + 40k exchange bonus-aria-price.jpg

As you'll notice, The ex-showroom price has not been altered by Tata Motors yet which makes al the difference. This may be because TATA wishes to run this scheme only for limited period or is in process of price correction but not fixed upon the new ex-showroom price.

Either way, since the ESP has not been changed, RTO and Insurance should technically not be changed.

Obviously, some innovative dealers will always find a way out in this case too but then, "ganda hai par dhanda hai yeh" (Bad as it may be, It still is Job)
Old 28th December 2011, 11:57   #94
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, I too booked a Tata Aria 4x2 Pleasure in Pearl White colour with 1.6Lac cash discount and additional 40K Exchange Bonus and 15K Corporate Discount. Total Saving: 2.15Lac.
Congrats, mate. One more Aria soon on the forums. I booked the Pure black as no Pleasure available in Bombay. Only will miss the air bags.

Cheers
sahakar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 12:26   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Congrats, mate. One more Aria soon on the forums. I booked the Pure black as no Pleasure available in Bombay. Only will miss the air bags.

Cheers
I am a bit paranoid on that front and absolutely need Airbags. We have a monthly running of 5000kms - 7000kms so it made all the sense.

Secondly, I was actually leaning towards the prestige variant with bells and whistles but was putt off by the hideous plum color leather. I prefer much sober black only combination for which we are planning to contact Stanley or some other leather upholster. Add to it, we are exchanging our old safari but retaining its alloys which should do the job well in new Aria.

You can call me a penny pincher but c'mon we all got to weigh our options!
Old 28th December 2011, 15:17   #96
BHPian

Quote:
I am a bit paranoid on that front and absolutely need Airbags. We have a monthly running of 5000kms - 7000kms so it made all the sense.

Secondly, I was actually leaning towards the prestige variant with bells and whistles but was putt off by the hideous plum color leather. I prefer much sober black only combination for which we are planning to contact Stanley or some other leather upholster. Add to it, we are exchanging our old safari but retaining its alloys which should do the job well in new Aria.

Thats a cool idea of retaining the alloys. I totally like it

What freebies did you manage on the Pleasure other than the monetary discounts?

Cheers
Old 28th December 2011, 15:54   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Thats a cool idea of retaining the alloys. I totally like it

What freebies did you manage on the Pleasure other than the monetary discounts?

Cheers
Only the usual stuff, Matting, Mudflap.
Old 28th December 2011, 16:16   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Only the usual stuff, Matting, Mudflap.
Hmm looks like you really didn't bargain. Well anyway the huge 2.15 lakh discount makes us uncomfortable bargaining for more.

I however tried some more and got beige seat covers, 3M Sun Films, car cover and reverse camera at half price other than the usual matting, mudflap and teflon. Hell I even bargained for a freshner. I think I should have done some more but left it at there.

Cheers
Old 28th December 2011, 17:11   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm looks like you really didn't bargain. Well anyway the huge 2.15 lakh discount makes us uncomfortable bargaining for more.

I however tried some more and got beige seat covers, 3M Sun Films, car cover and reverse camera at half price other than the usual matting, mudflap and teflon. Hell I even bargained for a freshner. I think I should have done some more but left it at there.

Cheers
I usually don't bargain on accessories. Simple reason: I know some people who get me these stuff at NDP anyways. If you calibrate these prices, i end up saving 25%-50% anyways and in the mean time getting the power of choice which is usually restrained in the case of dealer offered accessories.
Old 28th December 2011, 17:20   #100
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Yep go for the Airbags.

Comeon- the plum is not hideous I love it infact.

Colour is so much a matter of personal selection. I simply love the Plum colour and feel that it makes the interiors of the Aria look rich and elegant. (It is not as bright as in the bochure infact is quite subtle/dull/dark/matt.) It is especially true for Night Shade Black exterior where it is a perfect match to the car colour as well. So in case you have not checked it out in person do so. If yes then well as some like beige and some dont. We all have our own best shades and hence the car companies do sell various colours. Ofcourse this will not match well for some of the exterior colours. I actually am not a fan of the wood work some of the Aria varients have instead of the titanium finish but then thats why they have options.

When I picked up the Aria was insistent that the interiors must be black and plum. (by the Way the XUV too has this combination as one of the interior options.) Was thankfull that it was the top varients that had full back and black and plum option the Aria for a Crossover/SUV beige just does not seem the ideal colour for interiors though I do agree that as a MUV it starts making more sense as when one actually transport more people one would want a brighter interior.

By the way changing later to all black will also involve changing a lot of stuff like the inside door handle plastic back side which too is in plum. Also do note the black on the plastic door covers, the pillars, the ac vents etc are all not exactly back but rather a very dark brown.

The Safari Alloys are 16" while the Aria ones on the Presitige and Pride variants are 17" while the steel rims on the pure and pleasure are 16".

The 17" versions have better ride and and planted drive while the 16" ones have a softer drive due to the higher aspect ratio to arrive at the same overall dia.

So yes if you want to swap the Safari Alloys the Pure or Pleasure is indeed the way to go.

The only gruise that I have the the back and plum leather is that is a bit too matt and somehow does not retain the wet leather feel for too long even after a polish.
Old 28th December 2011, 17:33   #101
BHPian

Quote:
I usually don't bargain on accessories. Simple reason: I know some people who get me these stuff at NDP anyways. If you calibrate these prices, i end up saving 25%-50% anyways and in the mean time getting the power of choice which is usually restrained in the case of dealer offered accessories.
Ohh sorry I didn't write correctly. Reverse camera was half the price. The rest all free.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yep go for the Airbags.

If yes then well as some like beige and some dont.
I actually am not a fan of the wood work some of the Aria varients have instead of the titanium finish but then thats why they have options.
I second you here. I also do not like the beige and the wood work that Tata has used but heck at this price of the Pure I am letting that go.

The titanium finish and night shade black looks awesome but its only available for the higher variants.

Cheers

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st February 2012 at 02:17. Reason: Please use multi-quote option and the 'edit' feature instead of putting-up back-to-back posts. Thanks!
Old 29th December 2011, 05:35   #102
BANNED

I was watching CNBC today and hear them say TATA has slashed the Aria entry point from 12.9 lakhs to 9.9 lakhs.

If that be the case, i think this could a big news from the TATA stable just before the Delhi Motor Show & the impending XUV booking reopening. Any news on this to confirm?
Old 29th December 2011, 09:46   #103
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ohh sorry I didn't write correctly. Reverse camera was half the price. The rest all free.

Cheers
Did you get the aftermarket reverse camera that they drill in to the rear bumper facing straight ahead. (the centre of the bumper has a opening cover for the toe hook, spare wheel removal etc.)

or

The original one that is mounted below the chrome strip pointing downwards. The original reverse camera is something really solid (almost like something made out of a cast Iron Block ). and just the camera (Excluding the housing where it is fitted, the wiring and the screen) costs Rs. 10,500. Don't know how they would be able to intergrate that one in a lower model as it would probably require the Pride Screen and the Pride wiring set. I actually wanted to add the prestige sensors to my pride screen (using original wiring and sensors etc. - just not possible).

Suggest you get the reverse sensors in addition to the screen as it does help to have both together rather than either - ofcourse between the two camera is the better option.
Old 29th December 2011, 11:49   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Did you get the aftermarket reverse camera that they drill in to the rear bumper facing straight ahead. (the centre of the bumper has a opening cover for the toe hook, spare wheel removal etc.)

or

The original one that is mounted below the chrome strip pointing downwards. The original reverse camera is something really solid (almost like something made out of a cast Iron Block ). and just the camera (Excluding the housing where it is fitted, the wiring and the screen) costs Rs. 10,500. Don't know how they would be able to intergrate that one in a lower model as it would probably require the Pride Screen and the Pride wiring set. I actually wanted to add the prestige sensors to my pride screen (using original wiring and sensors etc. - just not possible).

Suggest you get the reverse sensors in addition to the screen as it does help to have both together rather than either - ofcourse between the two camera is the better option.
I had talked to them about it and they wouldn't be able to mount the original one.
It would be the your first option where they would need to drill a hole in the bumper.

Ya I would go for the reverse sensors but will do them off market in Santacruz as it will cost me around 2 grand for them, while the ones in the the dealership are way too pricey.

Cheers
Old 29th December 2011, 16:56   #105
BHPian

Just visited Aria website. 9.99 Lakhs is official.

Tata Aria : 1.6 lakh discount + 40k exchange bonus-roadblock9.99lacs.jpg

Motorbeam has posted another image:
Tata Aria : 1.6 lakh discount + 40k exchange bonus-tata_aria_9.9_lakhs.jpg

Last edited by ottocycle : 29th December 2011 at 17:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks