Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2017, 13:13   #466
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
MH02DF may be a 2012 registration. MH01CP is a 2017 registration and I believe this is a reserved series for government or police vehicles.
MH01CP3220 [MUMBAI (CENTRAL),MH]
Owner:1-DY COMMISSIONER OF POLICE
Vehicle:TATA SUMO GOLD EX CR4 BSIV(DIESEL)
Motor Car
RC/FC Expiry:21-Mar-32
MV Tax upto:NA
-Courtesy:MoRTH/NIC

You caught the DCP, GTO! But very strange of a DCP to opt for Tata Sumo when many ministers are asking for a Honda City and Maruti Suzuki Ciaz.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 14:00   #467
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
MH01CP is a 2017 registration and I believe this is a reserved series for government or police vehicles.
There is no specific reservation in the MH 01 CP series only for government and police vehicles.

Ritesh and I, both have 2017 Honda Citys which are registered in the MH 01 CP series, we had bought it at the time of it's launch in march.
Old 13th January 2019, 22:18   #468
BHPian

Hello. Amy updates on the sumos? How're they doing?
Old 14th January 2019, 08:17   #469
BHPian

Hey Sridutt, Sumo is doing great. We have been all over Kerala and Tamil Nadu twice over. 52k on the odo in 3 years. I am contemplating upgrading to a Storme or Hexa sometime in the future but hoping to visit Ladakh and Kashmir before that in the old faithful. The older it gets the smoother it runs. I get it serviced every 7-8k KMS and it costs me about 10k.
Old 24th June 2019, 17:09   #470
BHPian

Found this on LinkedIn.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20190624_170831.jpg  

rahul_goyal is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 12:26   #471
BHPian

Don't know if this is the right place to post this. Mods, if there is a more appropriate thread for this, kindly move the post. Thank you!

Just saw two brand new Tata Sumo being carried on a flat bed truck here in Chinchwad, Pune. They were covered with tarpolin sheet.

The one in the front had a snorkel, while the one at the back was without it. They both were white in color. Neither of them had alloys or wheel caps. The steel rim was black in color.

Could not click any pictures as I was riding a two wheeler.

Is something cooking with Tata Sumo? Any plans of its revival, given that the Safari brand is being relaunched? (Wishful thinking maybe!!!)
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 13:26   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Don't know if this is the right place to post this. Mods, if there is a more appropriate thread for this, kindly move the post. Thank you!

Just saw two brand new Tata Sumo being carried on a flat bed truck here in Chinchwad, Pune. They were covered with tarpolin sheet.

The one in the front had a snorkel, while the one at the back was without it. They both were white in color. Neither of them had alloys or wheel caps. The steel rim was black in color.

Could not click any pictures as I was riding a two wheeler.

Is something cooking with Tata Sumo? Any plans of its revival, given that the Safari brand is being relaunched? (Wishful thinking maybe!!!)
Could it be possible that you spotted a Force Gurkha or Trax and mistook it for a Sumo?
These cars look very similar to the Sumo, and Force has recently been testing their BS6 versions, which look even more similar to the Tata Sumo than before. Also, the Gurkha is probably the only off-roader that comes with a factory fitted snorkel:

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-a1ca1d13ec224aa6b39934dd37488c8e.jpeg

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-ce279e7d04a64928b095fcd4f3f78367.jpeg

Also, Force Motors had recently opened a factory in Pune:

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...2300600_1.html
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 15:01   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Could it be possible that you spotted a Force Gurkha or Trax and mistook it for a Sumo?
You surely make a very good point there!
What you say might be true. I would happily stand corrected!

However due to the following reasons I am feel it was Sumo.

1. The Gurkha has wheel fenders, which were missing in the vehicle which I saw.

2. The tail lamps of both the vehicles were unmistakably of the Sumo. The BS6 Gurkha does not have complete rectangular shaped tail lights, they are somewhat rounded off at the top.

3. So far all the test mules of Gurkha which I have seen have silver steel rims, whereas, the vehicle atop the flatbed had black steel rims.

4. The truck carrying both the cars was coming from the direction of TATA motors plant and was going towards Thermax chowk. (From this chowk if you take a left turn, you would reach Force motors). Though I did not see if the truck took that left turn or not.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 15:34   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However due to the following reasons I am feel it was Sumo..
1. Wheel fenders can be removed
2. The tail lamps - were they integrated or fixed on top ? Btw, some other external tail lamp clusters like those on Tata trucks and even (I think Eicher) (may be older version) are similar.

The last news on the Sumo was when Dhabhar Behram sir had shared. The same body as the old one and new chassis (for new safety norms) .. doesnt add up.

And the old Sumo had a very short WB too. Any chance of a view of the wheel base on these two ?
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 16:11   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The last news on the Sumo was when Dhabhar Behram sir had shared. The same body as the old one and new chassis (for new safety norms) .. doesnt add up.

And the old Sumo had a very short WB too. Any chance of a view of the wheel base on these two ?
The points which you have mentioned are true as well!

If the fenders were removed, there should have been some holes / markings / some tell tail signs of them being removed. There was no such thing on these two examples.

The tail lights were exactly like the ones in this Pic (Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!)

These lights are surely seen in many other vehicles, but I am not too sure if all of them have the same orientation as that of a Sumo (Vertically aligned).

Now that you mentioned about the wheel base, the one with snorkel felt (and I am just assuming here, because I saw the cars at an angle) a little shorter than the one without it. The one without snorkel appeared almost the same size as that of a regular Sumo.

You are absolutely right about the old body and new chassis. Is it possible that the body may undergo a change later in the product development phase? I am a noob at this and don't know if it is even possible.

I rest my case here! How much I wish I could get a chance to click a pic!

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 15th January 2021 at 16:13.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 16:15   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However due to the following reasons I am feel it was Sumo.
I have seen a few military 4x4 Sumos in Camp area and near Bombay Sappers regimental centre, that were ambulances and bomb disposal squad vehicles. The ones you saw could be more of the same, being dispatched for delivery.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 16:33   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I have seen a few military 4x4 Sumos in Camp area and near Bombay Sappers regimental centre, that were ambulances and bomb disposal squad vehicles. The ones you saw could be more of the same, being dispatched for delivery.
The Sumo used in Army as Ambulance has thick fenders, which were missing on the cars which I saw.
Additionally, there is also a spare wheel in Army Ambulance along with a higher ground clearance which was not the case with these two examples.

Army Ambulance:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...ml#post2354852 (Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive)
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks