Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2012, 07:36   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: New Maruti 800. EDIT : SCOOP pictures on Page 7 & 15

The car is not very attractive, is it? Looks like an amalgamation of many small cars around us.

The car will be spacious, fuel efficient and should be hassle free and relatively cheap to own. So will sell. But Maruti should have spent more effort on the aesthetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I honestly Wonder, if Maruti Swift would even have buyers if not for the Fiat Engine.
That's a very harsh statement to make.

Sure, it would have sold a lot less without the DDiS due to the prevailing market conditions. but the Swift in the petrol guise is a very competent car.

Last edited by deetjohn : 31st August 2012 at 07:37. Reason: Adding text.
Old 31st August 2012, 07:53   #227
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

The question which comes to my mind is whether MSIL really needed to replace the M800. The Alto is a good enough replacement. This car will cannibalize the lower end Alto. It do not see it bring substantial incremental numbers for MSIL. The average Indian aspiration levels have grown leaps and bounds. India has moved on from 1985 when the SS80 was first launched.
Old 31st August 2012, 10:19   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
It do not see it bring substantial incremental numbers for MSIL. The average Indian aspiration levels have grown leaps and bounds. India has moved on from 1985 when the SS80 was first launched.
You are correct. The market has grown and is maturing faster. Good designs and features have takers at any price tag irrespective of the brand name. i20, Ertiga and XUV500 are examples.

Instead of concentrating too much on the entry level segment, Maruti has to concentrate on B+ and C+ segments and also on the small SUV segment. A good hatchback that sits along with Swift (a thoroughly rear-lifted Ritz will do the job, IMO), a sleek sedan in the C+ segment to replace SX4, and a sporty SUV under 10L (may be XA Alpha) have to be designed and launched very soon.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 31st August 2012 at 10:20.
Old 31st August 2012, 14:47   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

Please don't think the world will be in complete darkness if you close your eyes.
Though it was a Nice Try by you "Not To Copy" an old South Indian Saying, I will take it.

What I meant was that Maruti needs to provide cars that the "No.1 Automotive Company in India" should. I respect the design of Ertiga but not the new Swift. I prefer the Old one.

Then again, that's Me & My Thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

That's a very harsh statement to make.

Sure, it would have sold a lot less without the DDiS due to the prevailing market conditions. but the Swift in the petrol guise is a very competent car.

deetjohn I think I agree with U and I probably would correct my statement rather than take it back.

What I really wanted to convey was that Maruti should really start being Creative and stop riding on the success that one the Most Special Cars of "Non-IT India" had created, Maruti 800.

Young Indians now have Figo, Polo, I20, Punto, Pulse, etc who offer Better Value for Money.

It won't be long before they start offering Reliable Ownership as well.....which seems to be the only USP of Maruti.

P.S - I don't mean to offend any Maruti Owners, especially Swift. It looks Lovely, but Not in the New Avatar.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 31st August 2012 at 14:56.
Old 31st August 2012, 23:34   #230
BHPian

I was at msil Gurgaon plant today and I saw lots of these cars ready for despatch.
Launch is very soon it seems.

Also I saw lxi had body colored bumpers..
revved_up is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 05:49   #231
Senior - BHPian

The biggest thing for me out of this whole launch is that the NANO finally has company. Remember what Ratan Tata said when the INDICA was launched, and MARUTI in a knee-jerk reaction knocked down the price of the 800 "we managed to bring down the price of the MARUTI"

I'm sure the NANO is headed for a downward revision of its price and a accelerated launch of its diesel variant
Old 1st September 2012, 10:28   #232
BHPian

Awesome! I know this car design looks "inspired” from many other cars but it will be early to judge the looks of the car only from the pictures. But this does look promising. Seems like the launch will happen around Diwali time. The lower segment will become a bit crowded right? Are we sure that this is the 800 replacement? I think it should be an Estilo replacement. I am not sure if this is a Nano category car.
Old 1st September 2012, 11:10   #233
BHPian

To all people discussing 'Maruti's designs' and then going on to discuss about swift, ertiga, the old zen, the esteem etc: ALL of these are Suzuki cars. Maruti had nothing to do with it. Period. What maruti has done well is to make these cars 'India friendly' and provide a great service and parts network all over India. And that is no mean achievement i agree.

Coming to this car, this does seem like Maruti's own design. It looks horrible, but the Indian car buyer will lap it up since its a maruti, sod the design. Waiting to see this in the metal for a true picture.
Old 1st September 2012, 16:43   #234
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: New Maruti 800. EDIT : CLEAR scoop pictures on Page 18 & 20

A new M800 will just end up being the new cheapest priced Maruti. Don't really see it being priced close to the Nano which in anycase (though a superb vehicle worth a lot more than what it is priced for) is not setting the market ablaze.

This could in the longer term fit into the Alto - Estillo space or a bit lower, the estillo in any case does not sell, but naming it "800" would mean giving the preception that it is the cheapest Maruti on offer and that is where it would then have to fit in.
Old 2nd September 2012, 00:29   #235
BHPian

This car will again do wonders for Maruti Suzuki, irrespective of being powered by a Petrol engine only.
Maruti Suzuki is really very affordable & cheapest in long-term ownership costs, ask me.
I'm driving a 3rd Maruti Suzuki(1st was M800, then Alto & nw DZire ZDi) of my life now.
DZire is new, but the other cars were really having very easy on pocket & always available spare parts from everywhere. And these are the things I guess, in coming future, Hyundai(for EON), Datsun, Renault, etc needs to match on to seriously establish them as a market player, than to sell a handful or cars & shelling their customers everytime they come to gets their cars serviced.

As per the news, this car is going to be positioned below current Alto, which means its LXi version retailing near to Rs.2.75 lacs(ex-showroom) or LXI variant of new Alto800 retailing at ~3.00 lacs INR, on road can really blast the segment, as this variant is going to feature goodies in its segment like AC-heater, EPS, Body coloured bumpers, Full wheel covers, etc.
Just wish if it would come with Integrated Music system & Internally adjustable ORVMS & few more, afterall this segment also needs some promotion(in feature rank-wise).
Old 2nd September 2012, 08:53   #236
MHG
BHPian

I actually like the looks of this car. Personally speaking the only thing I ever had against Maruti 800/Alto was/is that if I have to be comfortable in the driver's seat, the car becomes a 3-seater (I'm 6' with long legs). So I hope the new Alto 800 is comfortable for taller guys.
Old 2nd September 2012, 22:36   #237
BHPian

this car will sell like hot cakes because it is from Maruti. Cars from other makers look much better and modern. Designing is not Maruti's fort. Their fort is brand name with widest network of after sales service.
Maruti has started to get inspiration from designs of other competitors. Look at the rear of new Alto, inspired from Spark. Even their new hot selling Ertiga is inspired by Innova and Tata Indiva. Front is inspired by their own Swift. looking at the new Maruti 800 I can say that it is combination of Figo, I10 and Eon. LOL.
I am not against maruti. I have owned and enjoyed quite a few vehicles from them. But their designs do not have that Wow factor anymore. Remember once the Esteem was the head turner. Most people still buy a Maruti because of their service network not because of designs. And in many places of India apart from the Metros and big cities this is one of the most important selling factor for Maruti.
Old 3rd September 2012, 00:53   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Yuckkkkk!!!!! is the only word that came to my mind looking at that car!

I seriously have to appreciate the designers of Nano. Each time I look at it, I'm in love. The design seems awesome for a sub 2 lac car! Will have to wait and watch.
Personal choice, I would say, not that I like the looks of this Maruti and not that I like the look of the Nano (which has failed to set the charts on fire).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Don't really see it being priced close to the Nano which in anycase (though a superb vehicle worth a lot more than what it is priced for) is not setting the market ablaze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The car is not very attractive, is it? Looks like an amalgamation of many small cars around us.

The car will be spacious, fuel efficient and should be hassle free and relatively cheap to own. So will sell.
Yeah, we lapped up the 98 santro, I am sure this car is not worse looking than that. Even the best selling swift resembles a Mini, no one complained about that, not even Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Instead of concentrating too much on the entry level segment, Maruti has to concentrate on B+ and C+ segments and also on the small SUV segment. A good hatchback that sits along with Swift (a thoroughly rear-lifted Ritz will do the job, IMO), a sleek sedan in the C+ segment to replace SX4, and a sporty SUV under 10L (may be XA Alpha) have to be designed and launched very soon.
Totally agree. Maruti needs a kick up it's backside to wake up and start some seriously good, nay decent designs.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 08:49   #239
Senior - BHPian

For all those who curse Maruti for this design: IMO, the car will look pretty good if the B-pillar is blackened (sorry for the bad editing). I hope Maruti will do it by themselves if and when they introduce a 1000CC version of this car. (Alto 1000?)
Attached Images

Old 3rd September 2012, 22:52   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
OMG! What have Maruti done? Front looks inspired from Figo and A-star. Sides look inspired from i20 and so is the grille. Why can't Maruti engineers come up with some nice original designs?

This will definitely sell as a replacement to our beloved humble Maruti 800. Hope this car turns out to be better than the Eon too.
Had this been a mobile phone or a tablet PC, Hyundai and Ford may have sued Maruti for "stealing" designs. Something like the Apple v/s Samsung case.

Let us hope the price is competitive, as it could force other manufacturers to revise their price-list or offer more freebies to make their products attractive. I've been told that i10 has a lot of offers available at this point in time.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks