Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2012, 12:01   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: New Maruti 800. EDIT : SCOOP pictures on Page 7 & 15

At the lowest end of the four wheeler spectrum, the looks have also become important with the likes of Eon (for that matter even the Nano) looking quite good. So unless there is a substantial difference in terms of mileage or price, Maruti will only have its brand value to make this vehicle a success. The spy pictures do not show a car that will strike a chord in one's heart with its looks (even if that is very subjective). But if this will have better mileage than Eon and the likes and is priced lower, then I guess people will simply overlook the looks.

I quite like the A-star and was looking at the Automatic version as a city only car. But with the uncertainty of Petrol prices, those thoughts sank without a trace.

Last edited by pjbiju : 29th June 2012 at 12:02.
Old 30th June 2012, 12:04   #182
BHPian

I think I'll reserve my comments on the shape and looks - we may 'grow' to like it eg the posterior of the Swift had evoked quite some sharp comments when launched.
Maruti/Suzuki are past masters at pricing it to make an impact and also in maintaining the resale price, which I presume is their biggest advantage in drawing customers.
Old 30th June 2012, 12:20   #183
Senior - BHPian

The first look doesn't appeals to me, looks more of a small breadbox. It seems that Maruti is also planning to replace the current 800cc Alto with this one. The rear boot monogram speaks for it "ALTO 800" Smart move MUL, ek teer se do shikaar.
The roof seems to have been given "rib shape" treatment for strength & stiffness.
Also so much chrome in the form of badges on the boot door, i won't be surprised to see these being eliminated one by one with stickers in its subsequent upgrades.
Old 30th June 2012, 13:47   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The Eon is a good example of how a car can cost less yet be good-looking. From the front and sides it is amazing to look at. The rear is the odd part, but guess we can overlook it in the overall scheme of things. A good retort to the Eon would have been the classy looking Cervo which they could bring in by phasing out the Estilo (and even the A-Star if required). Instead they bring in this ugly contraption. And I don't really think anything they bring in will sell like some mentioned here. Because if that were the case, the Estilo and A-Star should be selling like hot cakes - instead they are the duds in the MSIL stable.
I am sorry mate but eon to me looks like piece of crumpled metal. Maybe i am little old school but really how can someone find eon good looking. IMHO even a star looks far better than eon. anyways looks can be subjective
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 13:21   #185
BHPian

Re: Maruti's new 800cc car to hit market later this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsPwr View Post
I fail to understand the logic behind this move (if at all this news turns out to be true) for 2 reasons:

1. No doubt M800 is a great car, but its history now. There is no need to bring back an 800 cc model given the fact that Alto is doing well in that segment.
2. It is a known fact now that people are tilting towards Diesel hatchbacks, which all other manufacturers are offering. What is the point in launching another petrol hatch when the sales are going down drastically.

If common sense prevails, I am sorry, I find something amiss in this article.

Vehicle development typically takes 2 years (platform carried over of course) from the start of design to start of production. Im assuming Maruti started developing this car in end 2009 to early 2010. So the decision was taken then, not now.

Coming to this car, it looks like something out of Junkyard wars.
Old 1st July 2012, 21:26   #186
Senior - BHPian

Do Indian car designers have a definition or concept for 'shape' or 'form' in their dictionary?.

Last edited by nickatnite : 1st July 2012 at 21:55.
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:05   #187
BHPian

Is it the same as this Suzuki Alto they are selling here in Europe? Or is this going to be the new 'Alto' in India?

Alto Offers

Old 3rd July 2012, 15:35   #188
Senior - BHPian

^^^That is the A-Star we have here (alled Alto in other markets). The car being discussed here is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool
I am sorry mate but eon to me looks like piece of crumpled metal. Maybe i am little old school but really how can someone find eon good looking. IMHO even a star looks far better than eon. anyways looks can be subjective
Yes, looks can be subjective and relative too. BTW, my reference to Eon's looks was relative to the contraption that was posted on this thread as the new M800/Alto800. For the price, Eon is not that bad in looks IMO. A-Star looks better I agree.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd July 2012 at 15:43.
Old 3rd July 2012, 16:05   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
+1. I too think Hyundai has gone overboard on the Eon looks. Too many cuts and creases on the sides. The rear is an eye sore. Alto looks plain and neat, very conventional and easy on the eye.

Having said that, the new Alto 800 planned looks equally unimpressive. Wish they could bring back the jelly bean Zen design with the K10 engine. That would be a real dream combination
Old 3rd July 2012, 16:27   #190
Senior - BHPian

Could someone please install wheel caps (digitally) on these pics ?

Looks weird enough already, but the lack of wheel caps takes the weirdness completely overboard

Last edited by mooza : 3rd July 2012 at 16:30.
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 16:50   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post

Looks weird enough already, but the lack of wheel caps takes the weirdness completely overboard
My best effort via paint. Somehow I felt a bit odd with the doors also, and added black paint in the between them. The car looks a bit straight and odd, but positive point of such looks is that the car wont look old and age rather gracefully.

As this image is at an angle, I could properly draw the alloys. Else it wold have been a better work, also I admit, I am not great at working in paint.
Attached Thumbnails
New Maruti Alto 800. EDIT : CLEAR scoop pictures on Page 18 & 20 - Now Launched-145545.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 3rd July 2012 at 16:53.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 17:00   #192
Senior - BHPian

I think what worked for 800 and Alto was the airy cabin feel. It also made them feel a little bigger compared to this.
Old 3rd July 2012, 19:22   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Your wish gets answered - fitted Alto K10 wheel caps in PS
Attached Thumbnails
New Maruti Alto 800. EDIT : CLEAR scoop pictures on Page 18 & 20 - Now Launched-alto800.jpg  

dheepak10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 12:28   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
Your wish gets answered - fitted Alto K10 wheel caps in PS

Ahh, now that's a relief! Looks better now, hope this will be a VFM package from MUL
Old 21st July 2012, 08:19   #195
BHPian

Re: New Maruti model to replace 800, Alto

Maruti to postpone launch of new 800 cc car

Source:
Maruti Suzuki to postpone launch of new 800 cc car - The Economic Times
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks