Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2021, 23:38   #721
BHPian

Re: Is Honda slowly exiting the Indian car market?

I dont think there is any reason to abandon Honda Cars in India. Theyre trying to figure out their operational issues by consolidating production at one place rather than 2 places. In 2021 were expecting the City Hybrid which will zoom in sales mind you as it is expected to provide 27 kmpl. Later 2021 we are expecting HRV Hybrid at a price tag similar to the Creta but might go slightly above as it will be a hybrid as well. I personally own 2 cars right now and am eagerly waiting for both the above mentioned cars to replace one of mine or to just add a car. If the Honda E comes im getting it. Its highly desirable and it has perfect range for city driving and its extremely cute and attractive, i hope it comes to India.

I would never buy a Hyundai Creta or a Kia. They have 2 star safety rating and are junk unsafe boxes. Having owned multiple generations of the City and also having test driven the latest City, its a stellar car and i cant wait to get some vitamin M and change one of my cars for it. Im keenly watching the HRV launch because if that comes then i would prefer that as its easier to take rough roads which i do almost every day.

If someone were to still ask me today i would recommend a Honda Jazz VX CVT over the latest gen i20 or equivalent car, i would recommend a City over the entire competitors and also in competition to Creta / Seltos. The peace of mind you get and the quality and safety you get is worth more than the features of Hyundai / Kia and ive owned these cars so im aware how expensive theyre to maintain them (just clarifying before someone pounces on that)

Last edited by M00M : 18th April 2021 at 23:44.
M00M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 02:09   #722
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda wont exit.
The problem is, every manufacturer wants to be Maruti and capture the mass market.
The result is, brands like Ford, Toyota, Honda are getting diluted & their cars are losing their old charm.
Ford and Honda are at-least trying to make mass market cars, whereas Toyota is shameless enough to sell Maruti cars by re-badging!

The only company who mastered this art aptly, is Hyundai.

At-least, I respect Skoda/Volkswagen, Tata, Mahindra that they are not going down this way until now.

Last edited by Samba : 19th April 2021 at 02:11.
Samba is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 02:54   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I would never buy a Hyundai Creta or a Kia. They have 2 star safety rating
Echo that. After the dismal performance of seltos in GNCAP, I would stay away from a Hyundai/Kia. But looking at the way global players are exiting or are reduced to rebadging Maruti products ( yes TOYOTA, am talking about you), am afraid we will be left with only those two players in a few years

Am more than satisfied having chosen the Jazz cvt over competition (back in 2019) but 5 years down the line wonder what I would upgrade to. HRV around creta pricing would have been great but I have been hearing about it from my SA since 2 years without any actual development from Honda’s end. Hope they get their act right and bring in some of the global products soon, else its curtains soon going by their current sales figures.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 08:12   #724
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda India : The Way Forward

I started this thread a decade ago, and it is extremely surprising that Honda still hasn't found its way . In fact, they've made even more mistakes with slipping quality standards (4th-gen City), launching overpriced economy cars (Mobilio), discontinuing the cars that best represent what brand Honda stands for (Civic, Accord, CR-V), still not having a good premium crossover in the 15 - 20 lakh segment...the list goes on.

Quite sad to see where Honda India is today.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 08:57   #725
BHPian

As an owner of a 1993 Prelude when in the US, followed by the 2014 City here in India, it saddens me to see where Honda is headed.

The HRV can't come soon enough. It has the potential to redo for Honda what the Seltos did for Kia.
reppy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 23:37   #726
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would never buy a Hyundai Creta or a Kia. They have 2 star safety rating and are junk unsafe boxes.
Quote:
The peace of mind you get and the quality and safety you get is worth more than the features of Hyundai / Kia and ive owned these cars so im aware how expensive theyre to maintain them (just clarifying before someone pounces on that)
3 stars. Seltos barely managed three stars.

Another company that has only received a maximum 3-star rating in India is Honda. Only the Mobilio was crash tested from the Honda India portfolio.

Any other crash tests for other Honda models found online are not relevant to the Indian market.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 17:14   #727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
3 stars. Seltos barely managed three stars.

Another company that has only received a maximum 3-star rating in India is Honda. Only the Mobilio was crash tested from the Honda India portfolio.
The rating is still better than seltos not just in points, but primarily the bodyshell rating was Stable. A 3* car with stable bodyshell is better than one with unstable bodyshell isn’t it?

Honda India : The Way Forward-faaab0cdc4d64f7d92600a6ac9fa7d4e.jpeg

Even amaze built in india and sold in SA scored a 4 star and I find it hard to believe honda would go for a different standard for Indian model compared to even South African counterpart(the way kia did for seltos). Mind you this is a 3rd world country economy product, not a global product like Seltos.

Last edited by SoumenD : 24th April 2021 at 17:21.
SoumenD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 18:05   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I started this thread a decade ago, and it is extremely surprising that Honda still hasn't found its way . In fact, they've made even more mistakes with slipping quality standards (4th-gen City), launching overpriced economy cars (Mobilio), discontinuing the cars that best represent what brand Honda stands for (Civic, Accord, CR-V), still not having a good premium crossover in the 15 - 20 lakh segment...the list goes on.

Quite sad to see where Honda India is today.
They need to have a good hatch at OTR from 5.5 L to 8L and a good SUV. HRV(having driven in US) may not do the trick, it is too cramped interior space is not going to compete with Nexons, Vitara Breeza and Hyundai twins.

If they want to be India, they need this. Honda city is a status symbol 15 years ago, it no longer enjoys that status now. Only Honda Fans are buying them and there are so many cheaper and better options.
Old 24th April 2021, 19:32   #729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
The rating is still better than seltos not just in points, but primarily the bodyshell rating was Stable. A 3* car with stable bodyshell is better than one with unstable bodyshell isn’t it?
Agreed. 3 star with a stable body shell is the best that Honda has achieved. Is that better than Kia? Definitely. Is it any good? I'd rather have 4 or 5, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Even amaze built in india and sold in SA scored a 4 star and I find it hard to believe honda
'Belief' is the keyword IMHO. The same Honda that gave us the 3 star Mobilio had the cladded Mobilio (BR-V) with 5-star rating in South Asian markets. Did the company indulge in double standards? May or may not be. We don't know for sure.

With the Mobilio discontinued - the entire Honda lineup is untested here. It is misleading IMHO to call it anything but that! Honda India, if serious about the market and the cars are actually safe - they are always welcome to get their products tested (like TATA & Mahindra does!). This could also boost their image and help with the falling sales.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 19:52   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is that better than Kia? Definitely.
Thanks. That was the point of my post. I rest my case

What you or I personally prefer is a whole different topic. We have a whole thread around this topic where bhpians have voiced their preference regarding safety ratings.Link (GNCAP: So, would you use an unrated / poorly rated car as a city driver only?)

Last edited by SoumenD : 24th April 2021 at 19:56.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 11:35   #731
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Will Go Fully Electric For All Its Market By 2040:

Quote:
Honda’s electrification road map, 40 percent of North American and China sales will be purely electric (or powered by hydrogen) by 2030, 80 percent by 2035, and 100 percent by 2040. Meanwhile, Japan will walk on a slightly different beat with EV/FCV reaching 20 percent of total by 2030, 80 percent by 2035, and 100 percent by 2040.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 13:07   #732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda Will Go Fully Electric For All Its Market By 2040:
That’s 20 years away. The way they are going, globally, there’s no guarantee they will survive for another 20 years.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 16:28   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
That’s 20 years away. The way they are going, globally, there’s no guarantee they will survive for another 20 years.
Thats a hilarious observation but one which I completely agree with.

They are out of Russia, USA the main product was Accord but now is the CRV which is being challenged by other compact off roaders and even VW ID 4 is targeting them.

In India they have literally made themselves bare bones except City / Amaze / WRV / Jazz (last 3 products are like on the last leg and due for a change). They need to sort themselves out and go back to launching only their global products in the entire world rather than localising and going for cheap platforms like the Amaze (even though the current Amaze is a decent product).

I have said this before and saying it again, the line up: Amaze, Jazz, City, HRV, CRV, Accord; should be the line up for India along with Honda E EV to show the EV intent. Let's hope some one from Honda India is reading and listening.
M00M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 08:34   #734
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda has trademarked the name ‘Elevate’ in India.

Could it to be used for the brand’s upcoming 7-seater SUV N7X ?

Honda India : The Way Forward-hondaelevatetrademarkindia1068x580.jpg

Link (The N7X Concept : Honda's 7-seater SUV for Asia)

Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th July 2021 at 08:36.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 09:39   #735
Senior - BHPian

Honda desperately needs a successful model, hope we get a diesel CVT or AT from the CRV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks