Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2019, 23:34   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda India : The Way Forward

Are there any global cars that Honda has that it can bring to the Indian markets soon? One which could take on the Korean Onslaught?

Honda is just focusing on the new Honda City at the moment. They'll be really hoping it'll be a winner.
Old 30th August 2019, 09:54   #647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Are there any global cars that Honda has that it can bring to the Indian markets soon? One which could take on the Korean Onslaught?
No & No.

Quote:
Honda is just focusing on the new Honda City at the moment. They'll be really hoping it'll be a winner.
Thats also a suicidal move. Market is fast moving towards compact SUVs in that price bracket. Those who still opt for a sedan have a much better package in the Verna & a much cheaper priced (and best looking still!) package in the Ciaz. The City is going to suddenly start dropping down the charts. It has no USP at all to keep up the numbers.
Old 30th August 2019, 15:36   #648
Senior - BHPian

I am positive they could be interested to make the BRV much more plush & aspirational (based on the new Amaze). Its lacking a few things but has a lot going practically & good margins too. I would also want to see Mobilio avatar of the Amaze as well! If these twins become desirable, Honda is back and how!
Old 31st August 2019, 10:47   #649
BHPian

Quote:

They have a XR-V in china . It is based on the VEZEL/HRV & in all proportions priced same or less than the VEZEL/HRV - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_XR-V
Old 31st August 2019, 10:54   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
They have a XR-V in china . It is based on the VEZEL/HRV & in all proportions priced same or less than the VEZEL/HRV - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_XR-V
That's more like a rebadged HRV. The HRV and it's platform is now redundant, especially when it's compared to the competition.
Old 31st August 2019, 11:53   #651
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to say but there is really no way forward for Honda India. This thread is over 8 years old but still, Honda India continues to operate in the same exact way - zero innovation, overpriced cars, always reactive. When diesel cars were ruling the roost, Honda was the only big manufacturer lacking a diesel engine. When they finally launched a diesel, it was already late and extremely unrefined, the market had started to move towards petrol again. Now, since the last few years, the market has completely moved to compact and mid-size SUVs and Honda India does not have a single SUV offering in this space. Sorry, but I do not consider the WRV and BRV as SUVs - one is a cross-hatch and other one is a cross-MUV.

I own a Honda Jazz for 9 years and it has been an absolutely trouble-free ownership experience and the car has aged really well. Understandably, I do have a soft corner towards Honda and I was hoping Honda will start giving priority to India and launch their latest products. But, now I have given up hope. My next car is not going to be a Honda for sure. I am considering Hyundai/Kia/VW/Skoda for a decent mid-size SUV for my next upgrade. If this is how a Honda loyalist like me thinks, then I am sure Honda will be forced to exit the Indian market sooner than later.

Last edited by adimicra : 31st August 2019 at 12:10.
adimicra is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 17:58   #652
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Sorry to say but there is really no way forward for Honda India. This thread is over 8 years old but still, Honda India continues to operate in the same exact way - zero innovation, overpriced cars, always reactive. When diesel cars were ruling the roost, Honda was the only big manufacturer lacking a diesel engine. When they finally launched a diesel, it was already late and extremely unrefined, the market had started to move towards petrol again. Now, since the last few years, the market has completely moved to compact and mid-size SUVs and Honda India does not have a single SUV offering in this space. Sorry, but I do not consider the WRV and BRV as SUVs - one is a cross-hatch and other one is a cross-MUV.

I own a Honda Jazz for 9 years and it has been an absolutely trouble-free ownership experience and the car has aged really well. Understandably, I do have a soft corner towards Honda and I was hoping Honda will start giving priority to India and launch their latest products. But, now I have given up hope. My next car is not going to be a Honda for sure. I am considering Hyundai/Kia/VW/Skoda for a decent mid-size SUV for my next upgrade. If this is how a Honda loyalist like me thinks, then I am sure Honda will be forced to exit the Indian market sooner than later.
From the way its going, I don't rule this out. They need a management (in India) with a bit of steel and imagination. While Hyundai is bringing key models in every segment below 20 lakhs and make those a roaring success, Honda keep contemplating on new launches for months/years, only to drop plans subsequently. With the Civic I thought Honda is getting back its mojo (even with a delayed launch), but that was a wrong notion probably. Infact the Civic is not doing bad in its segment, but I feel they have already given up, especially looking at the current rumours - no HR-V, no new Jazz etc.

I feel they still have a chance if:
  • Exit the lower segments, keep the Amaze for the taxi market
  • Keep faith in the Civic, bring a diesel AT and turbo petrol
  • Bring the new Jazz in with 1.5 petrol and diesel, and maybe the 1.5 petrol hybrid
  • Launch the new City with all the possible options ticked - after all its their bread n' butter model
  • And finally cut the ego and bring the HR-V in as a Creta rival
Old 31st August 2019, 18:24   #653
BHPian

Honestly I will not be surprised if Honda shuts shop and close down in India within the next decade. Primary reason - Honda is too slow to launch a new product and if and when a new product gets launched it's the wrong product at the wrong price.

I think Amaze, WR-V, Jazz and City sell at average numbers. However I will not be surprised if other manufacturers completely decimate Honda's numbers in the next 4-5 years.
Old 17th November 2019, 19:16   #654
BHPian

I read it some where that Honda will cease production at its Greater Noida Plant and will only use it as a R&D centre (which also serves as their Sales & Marketing HQ).

This may be due to the fact that their new Tapukara Plant has thrice as much the production capacity of Greater Noida plant and being a newer plant, would be the blue eyed boy.

Bad news for Honda fans in India. This is certainly not the way they wanted it to happen.
Old 17th November 2019, 19:56   #655
BHPian

I remember 10 years ago, as a 2nd grader, buying a Honda Civic was an aspiration for me.
Today, I feel sorry for Honda. The drop in quality with each successive generation and the arrogance and lax attitude of the parent company towards India is just disappointing for an erstwhile Honda fan like me.
I hope that Honda can bring some maturity in their leadership and start working towards a fresh plan for India that includes attacking the popular segments at a sensible price.
It's really true that today, Hyundai is the new Honda. Even internationally, several of it's products are rated as superior to Honda's.
BZ25 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 14:55   #656
Senior - BHPian

Honda’s approach to electrification differs from market to market. In Europe, it pledged to sell only electric and hybrid cars by 2022. And in India, its preferring to play the waiting game.
Old 19th November 2019, 15:23   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
Hyundai is the new Honda. Even internationally, several of it's products are rated as superior to Honda's.
Agreed! The slanting H has started to stand high H and the real H has slept. But this is not something uncommon. Its there everywhere.

See this comparison.

Honda = Ilaiyaraja. People remember him because of the legacy he has left behind. New generation not able to chime in with his kind of music today. And yes the egoistic behavior is not ready to change.
Hyundai = AR Rahman. Not only he changed the trend but also changes his work as per the generations interests and is well connected with the people.

The chef at Honda is not cooking what the market demands. Need to change as per the generations tastes. You cannot be always riding on your history.
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 19:54   #658
Senior - BHPian

An expensive hatch like Jazz wont fly anymore, not in our SUV crazy market. Why swim against the tide? Nor will the Civic make inroads, its just not exciting in that segment anymore. City will continue to sell, but in limited (expected) numbers. I agree with all your other points. Actually, Honda needs to ready an onslaught with HR-V, CR-V, Passport, Pilot and their new electric wonder. Price it reasonably, by bench-marking the other players and they could hit the sweet spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Exit the lower segments, keep the Amaze for the taxi market, Launch the new City with all the possible options ticked - after all its their bread n' butter model
Old 19th November 2019, 22:05   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I agree with all your other points. Actually, Honda needs to ready an onslaught with HR-V, CR-V, Passport, Pilot and their new electric wonder. Price it reasonably, by bench-marking the other players and they could hit the sweet spot.
They already cancelled the HR-V for now. CR-V already sells in low numbers due an incompetent engine and high price. As for Passport/Pilot - there are not even rumors yet about these. For now, Honda has nothing exciting to offer in the Indian market.
Old 20th November 2019, 10:58   #660
Senior - BHPian

Honda plans to sell only electric and hybrid cars in Europe by 2022. Now that's a bold move. I wish Honda India had the ability to make similar decisions.

I had expected established manufacturers like Suzuki, Hyundai and Honda to pioneer the electric push here too. But Hyundai hasn't kept its promise of setting up infrastructure even after the Kona launch and not surprisingly, a relative newcomer like MG is pioneering the electric ecosystem in India at the moment.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks