Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 17:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Have you seen Google Streetview cars? EDIT : Starting in Bangalore!

This car belongs to a Mumbai based ITES company that is doing mapping for bigger players.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:44   #47
BHPian

Article today in TOI that they have been asked to stop mapping as they did not obtain permission from the right authorities. The big problem is when they photograph high security areas like HAL, army and air force establishments, etc.

So currently they are off road!
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:39   #48
BHPian

Maybe the mods should change the thread title to read: Now "stopping" in Bangalore.

With the state of traffic anyway, it probably is not ironic that Street View is also stop/start!
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:39   #49
BHPian

its confirmed. Google Street View Temporarily Discontinued In India !

Google Street View Temporarily Discontinued In India
Old 22nd June 2011, 16:10   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
its confirmed. Google Street View Temporarily Discontinued In India !

Google Street View Temporarily Discontinued In India
But I saw a dull green Scorpio with a Google Street view camera on the roof only yesterday?
Old 22nd June 2011, 23:33   #51
BHPian

The scorpios arent from google.google uses captivas
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:10   #52

too bad. seems like the latest in world will always be late in India. Agree to the privacy concern but think what boon it is to an unknown person travelling in the city. The applications (on the positive side) are immense. In fact on my recent trip to japan this particular facility of google did not allow me get lost, though i can hardly understand any japanese.
ManualShift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:01   #53
BHPian

I saw a black scorpio with those jutting out equipments on the roof just like the pics on the 1st page of this thread. and gues what, I saw 2 of those cars in Howrah!
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:34   #54
BHPian

This was coming! Bangalore police halts Google Street View Cars

Quote:

Bangalore, Jun 22: The Bangalore police asked internet search engine giant Google to halt its Street View cars from capturing the images of streets in Bangalore over security concerns.

City Commissioner of Police ordered Google to stop the Street View cars and trikes with high resolution cameras mounted on top roaming the city collecting 360-degree images of roads and public locations for its free Street View service. According to police officials, Google have no clearance from the Home and Defence ministries to collect the pictures of strategic buildings and public places.

Google confirmed that they had received a letter from the police department asking them to stop the service. Officials added that they are in talks with various department to sought out the issue.

"We can confirm that we received a letter from the Commissioner of Police regarding Street View. We are currently reviewing it and have stopped our cars until we have a chance to answer any questions or concerns the police have," Google spokesperson said.

India is not the first country raising security issues over the Street View cars. Earlier, countries like France, Switzerland and Britain fought with the California-based company after reports of collecting personal information through personal Wi-fi networks.

In May 2011, Google started collecting photographs of public locations around Bangalore for Google Street View service, which allows users to virtually explore and navigate a neighborhood through panoramic street-level images.
Google Street View Cars | Bangalore Police Halts | Security Concerns | Tourist Destinations

Bangalore Police blocks Google's Street View project : South: India Today

What's your opinion Bhpians?
Old 6th August 2012, 19:28   #55
BHPian

As this Jalopnik post suggests, a Google Street View car fell into a ravine in "Northern India". If you see the video in the link, its highly doubtful the place could be India. However, there are 3 pics on Flickr. One of them shows the car, a damaged Opel Astra hatchback sporting Himachal Pradesh registration plates. But if you see properly, there's no way to make out if its RHD. Looks more of LHD to me, which just isn't possible, unless the car is here on Carnet. Overall, a bit controversial topic. Here are the pics from Flickr -
Attached Thumbnails
Have you seen Google Streetview cars? EDIT : Starting in Bangalore!-flickr-india.jpg  

Have you seen Google Streetview cars? EDIT : Starting in Bangalore!-gei.jpg  

Have you seen Google Streetview cars? EDIT : Starting in Bangalore!-gei1.jpg  

Rosso Corsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 21:05   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
As this Jalopnik post suggests, a Google Street View car fell into a ravine in "Northern India". a damaged Opel Astra hatchback sporting Himachal Pradesh registration plates. But if you see properly, there's no way to make out if its RHD. -
All I can Do is .

HP 05 Series is reserved for Auto rickshaw;s In Mandi distt . More over a Query on HP website correctly showed me details of my car but this opel is missing. Pics is taken some where else and number plate is not correct.

check out yourself
http://admis.hp.nic.in/VahSar/Citize...icleQuery.aspx

Moreover when even A series is not filled in all district why would RTO offer R series no.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 6th August 2012 at 21:07.
Old 6th August 2012, 21:30   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
All I can Do is .

HP 05 Series is reserved for Auto rickshaw;s In Mandi distt . More over a Query on HP website correctly showed me details of my car but this opel is missing. Pics is taken some where else and number plate is not correct.

check out yourself
Untitled Page

Moreover when even A series is not filled in all district why would RTO offer R series no.
Thanks for the info. So as the comments in the YouTube video suggest, its fake !
Old 6th August 2012, 21:35   #58
BHPian

I'm glad there's none of that Street View 'expose' happening in India. Our streets are not exactly the most 'view-worthy' you know! The aerial view in itself looks as messy as it possibly can.
Old 6th August 2012, 21:36   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
As this Jalopnik post suggests, a Google Street View car fell into a ravine in "Northern India". If you see the video in the link, its highly doubtful the place could be India. However, there are 3 pics on Flickr. One of them shows the car, a damaged Opel Astra hatchback sporting Himachal Pradesh registration plates. But if you see properly, there's no way to make out if its RHD. Looks more of LHD to me, which just isn't possible, unless the car is here on Carnet. Overall, a bit controversial topic. Here are the pics from Flickr -
Probably not in India. I mean google would want to first finish doing it in the big cities, which it doesn't seem to have yet, so its unlikely they would be taking pictures in the middle of nowhere.
Old 7th August 2012, 00:09   #60
BHPian

I saw one near Vikhroli station few weeks back. It was a scorpio with multi camera mount on the top.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks