Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 16:22   #31
BHPian

Re: Is Skoda planning to launch Fabia Scout in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
There is no use of testing the car if it has only cladding and other cosmetic changes.
I guess there will be 4x4 but with the same engines which are tweaked slightly.
Fabia already comes with 1.6L, I think that should do justice to this so called 4X4 Fabia Scout.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
Fabia already comes with 1.6L, I think that should do justice to this so called 4X4 Fabia Scout.
But that is the petrol. The diesel in India is 1.2L.
Old 20th May 2011, 11:54   #33
BHPian

Is the Scout the sub-Rs 10 lakh SUV that Skoda are planning to launch here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The UK version of scout estate is a 4x4. But the GC is same, some cladding is added for protection.
Bad. More GC is expected for a vehicle of this class at least to differentiate it from the normal hatchback cousin and take on poor roads. That's the chief reason people will go for the scout.

Quote:
They should launch the Scout at 50k-60k more than the regular fabia.
Better tech specs and a GPS system should also be made available.

In this pic seems that they have put the front bumper of a regular Fabia on the scout because it doesn't have side cladding:
Dude, 50-60k! That's too much unless they equip it with 4X4. The scout is just the normal Fabia with some cosmetic additions. Shoudn't cost so much.

And the difference is evident in the area that matches the fender and bumper. Bumper is of different shade and if from the normal Fabia.

Quote:
There is no use of testing the car if it has only cladding and other cosmetic changes.
I guess there will be 4x4 but with the same engines which are tweaked slightly.
You are right. Maybe 4X4 and new (powerful) diesel engine? Petrol engines just wont do hereafter.

Quote:
That would mean falling in the higher tax band. Let's see what they do.
Old 20th May 2011, 13:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post

Dude, 50-60k! That's too much unless they equip it with 4X4. The scout is just the normal Fabia with some cosmetic additions. Shoudn't cost so much.

And the difference is evident in the area that matches the fender and bumper. Bumper is of different shade and if from the normal Fabia.

You are right. Maybe 4X4 and new (powerful) diesel engine? Petrol engines just wont do hereafter.

It won't sell well if there are only cosmetic changes.
It SHOULD have 4x4 and Skoda should provide the 1.6 lit petrol and diesel engines. Hope they price it properly because if it nears the Rs.10 lakh mark then people will a proper SUV like Safari or Scorpio. This should come for less than 7 lacs.
Old 20th May 2011, 14:32   #35
BHPian

Quote:
It won't sell well if there are only cosmetic changes.
It SHOULD have 4x4 and Skoda should provide the 1.6 lit petrol and diesel engines. Hope they price it properly because if it nears the Rs.10 lakh mark then people will a proper SUV like Safari or Scorpio. This should come for less than 7 lacs.
I wanted higher ground clearance and some cosmetic changes. I too agree that it wont sell merely on cosmetic changes.

4X4 is fine but I will be content with a 4X2 Scout with higher GC for a nominal increase in price.
Old 20th May 2011, 14:41   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
I wanted higher ground clearance and some cosmetic changes. I too agree that it wont sell merely on cosmetic changes.

4X4 is fine but I will be content with a 4X2 Scout with higher GC for a nominal increase in price.
They may increase the ground clearance by 3-4cm maybe. Also, what do you think which tyre size would they offer in the Scout? Since it is made for soft-roading capabilities it should have better tyres.
Old 20th May 2011, 15:08   #37
BHPian

Quote:
They may increase the ground clearance by 3-4cm maybe. Also, what do you think which tyre size would they offer in the Scout? Since it is made for soft-roading capabilities it should have better tyres.
30-40mm should do well but Im not sure if they can increase the tyre size by much. Since it is the Fabia, there might be some issues with respect to packaging in the wheel arches.
Old 25th May 2011, 12:35   #38
BHPian

Guys, its been confirmed by AUTOCAR India that Scout wont be a 4X4 and remain Front wheel drive only, but it will incorporate some mechanical changes to improve off-road experience. Some excerpts from the same article,

Quote:
The suspension has been raised to help deal with off-road tracks and poorly paved roads, and this has been done by utilising taller springs, matching dampers and anti-roll bars. Ground clearance as a result is good enough to allow the Scout to be driven with gusto over an unpaved road.
Quote:
However, while the Indian car has a nose and front bumper similar to the standard Fabia, the Scout in other markets gets a fully clad bumper and with sunk- in fog lamps.
Old 9th June 2011, 19:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, its been confirmed by AUTOCAR India that Scout wont be a 4X4 and remain Front wheel drive only, but it will incorporate some mechanical changes to improve off-road experience. Some excerpts from the same article,
I believe Autocar is doing guesswork, just like us. They say - front bumper will not have plastic cladding. They have drawn conclusion based on the photographed test car.

Skoda may not have a 4X4 for fabia platform yet. But they may be (just may be) developing one for Indian/Russian/East Euro market. After all we did get Vento (and Rapid coming) for "India like market".
Old 9th June 2011, 20:55   #40
BHPian

Not sure is it the right thread to share it, but since it came from Scout inquiry let me share it here itself. Actually day before yesterday I went to a Skoda showroom here in Pune (as a potential Fabia customer!), during my TD and talk with SC I just put this query, whether he knows anything about Fabia Scout?
The SC was kind enough to tell that he haven't heard anything like Fabia Scout, but there are plans to launch a sedan (aka Rapid), may be by year end. And, there will an entry level hatch that will be placed below Fabia but (I'm just trying to recollect whatever he said in my words) it will be a cheaper car and of the quality of WagonR.
Old 10th June 2011, 09:25   #41
BHPian

saw the scout on the roads a couple of weeks back. i just have pics from the rear. I was disappointed to see that on on the front and sides it does not have any black plastic cladding and looks exactly like a standard fabia. in fact this may be a lower version as it does not have any fog lamp either.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Skoda planning to launch Fabia Scout in India?-img_0083.jpg  

Is Skoda planning to launch Fabia Scout in India?-img_0084.jpg  

Old 10th June 2011, 09:56   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
saw the scout on the roads a couple of weeks back. i just have pics from the rear. I was disappointed to see that on on the front and sides it does not have any black plastic cladding and looks exactly like a standard fabia. in fact this may be a lower version as it does not have any fog lamp either.
That is a scoop!
Wow. The car looks good with increased GC & that silver cladding on bumper. Very tempting. If priced well (incrementally higher/similarly priced), it is bound to sell well.

Last edited by ajay0612 : 10th June 2011 at 09:56. Reason: typo
Old 10th June 2011, 11:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
Thanks Locomotive,
So finally a t-bhpian has found it red-handed! (oops, cappuccino-beige handed)
I guess the cladding might have been removed with a hope to make it look very same as regular Fabia and avoiding attention by camouflaging it. - Good idea.
Btw, have you got the chance to notice that Red Polo? I mean was it a co-incidence or the elder cousin bro was accompanying Fabia!
Old 10th June 2011, 16:39   #44
BHPian

no coincidence. there were quite a few polos and fabias with temporary numbers on the road that day. but this was the only scout i spotted.
Old 10th June 2011, 19:25   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And, there will an entry level hatch that will be placed below Fabia but (I'm just trying to recollect whatever he said in my words) it will be a cheaper car and of the quality of WagonR.
Quite possible. Right after the news of VW-Suzuki relationship, I remember reading an article (in Autocar India website IIRC) on Wagon R being re-badged as Skoda and sold as an entry level hatch. Maybe this is the same one.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks